MJ’s most unusual track

y'all are crazy, clearly Be Not Always wins this :)

It is unlike anything he ever did, ever - it's traditional, sad, mysterious, and scaled back. We could go on and on for days about how his serious solo work is unique - but ALL of it is, and that was his style. However, Be Not Always is very powerful in that it was a lot like other things being written and produced in that time, and he still absolutely slayed it.

"Little Susie" hands down! It is the creepiest, and saddest song MJ ever wrote or recorded. I mean, how many times has MJ described a crime scene so emotionally? None! Plus the use of violins and his occasional falsetto and the flawless writing make it a masterpiece!

I was thinking along the lines of Don't Walk Away and Scared of the Moon. Also, I think If You Don't Love Me is not really childish, rather, it's something that'll come from a young, inexperienced person in love for the first time and is trying to figure out what love is about.

Invincible2k1;4090741 said:
I was thinking along the lines of Don't Walk Away and Scared of the Moon. Also, I think If You Don't Love Me is not really childish, rather, it's something that'll come from a young, inexperienced person in love for the first time and is trying to figure out what love is about.

I think that ‘If you don’t Love me’ was recorded in an experimental way & I doubt if MJ thought of it for a possible inclusion. It is so weak that it cannot be considered even as an outtake.

mj_frenzy;4092254 said:
I think that ‘If you don’t Love me’ was recorded in an experimental way & I doubt if MJ thought of it for a possible inclusion. It is so weak that it cannot be considered even as an outtake.
I think that shows how subjective music really is: it's one of my favorites. I love the 50s retro sound of it.

barbee0715;4092290 said:
I think that shows how subjective music really is: it's one of my favorites. I love the 50s retro sound of it.

Then you are probably a fan (also) of Rock ‘n’ Roll music.

I love If You Don't Love Me! IMO The Way You Make Me Feel is as childish :p .

I love If You Don't Love Me! IMO The Way You Make Me Feel is as childish :p .
Oh my!! TWYMMF is not childish either-it's in my top 5. Sometimes #1.
I don't think of myself as a "Rock and roll" fan because I'm really a fan of the pop music in the Great American songbook. Pre1955/swing, blues and jazz.

But being a kid in the 60s the music got thru-I love the harmonies of doo wop groups and the Everly brothers, and later Beach Boys and of course, Motown.

"Little Susie" probably...no, wait..."What's Up With You".

Little Susie because of the story line and the intro. When I heard Music box and child's voice for the first time, I thought how lovely. But later that was and still is all emotion listening.

And Who Is It - soft but in some way aggressive song.

Heartbreaker still catches me by surprise, even now. Not to say that it's not a Michael Jackson beat, it's just....so out of the ordinary for him, in my opinion. A fantastic track nonetheless. :)

Little Susie because of the story line and the intro. When I heard Music box and child's voice for the first time, I thought how lovely. But later that was and still is all emotion listening.

And Who Is It - soft but in some way aggressive song.

Music box and child's voice give me creeps lol...but great song anyway.

I would have to go with "Threatened". There are many songs in which he brings attention to undeserved suffering ("Little Susie", "They Don't Care About Us"), and also some that express anger ("D.S., "Scream", "Privacy"), but to me the vibe of "Threatened" is like a caged animal finally lashing out at the people who have held it captive. People tend to imprison things that they fear or that they themselves feel threatened by. Michael took back his power with that track: it's unusual but in a good way! :jump:

And Who Is It - soft but in some way aggressive song.[/QUOTE]

Great way to describe it---"Who is it" is my favorite MJ song but i've never been able to articulate it accurately before!

Back