Muhammad Ali, 'The Greatest of All Time', Dead at 74 ~ R.I.P Floating Butterfly

Muhammad Ali: Champ's hometown of Louisville mourns local hero

7479024-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: Louisville residents pay tribute to Muhammad Ali at his childhood home. (ABC: Zoe Daniel)

In Louisville, Muhammad Ali was a friend, schoolmate and neighbour.

He may have been the Greatest Of All Time, but he started here running to school to race the school bus, babysitting neighbours' children, telling jokes and doing magic tricks.

His nickname was not Champ, but Gee Gee, because he loved amateur boxing's Golden Gloves contests.

"You have a community that knew him so well, so while the world mourns on one level, Louisville mourns on a personal level," Kentucky congressman for Louisville John Yarmuth said after the town hall's flags were lowered to half-mast.

In pouring rain, people placed flowers at makeshift shrines. Many had a link to Ali. He was a friend to many.

His message was motivational, says his old schoolmate Sonny Fishback, shadowboxing on the front lawn of his friend's childhood home.

"The message was to the world, 'oh yes I can, yes I'm the greatest, yes we can'," he says.

"That type of positive message, that's the only thing he came for."

7479028-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: Lawrence and Violet Montgomery live opposite Muhammad Ali's childhood home and knew him his whole life. (ABC: Zoe Daniel)

The front steps of the house are edged with piles of flowers, cards and balloons.

There's a steady stream of people delivering more tributes.

In a tribute to Ali's reach, the crowd is culturally and religiously diverse.

From the steps opposite, Lawrence and Violet Montgomery watch the comings and goings.

Both in their 80s, they knew Ali for his whole life, as neighbours and friends.

Lawrence explains the youngster's early devotion to fitness.

He would run every morning in the local park, and then he'd race the bus to school as well.

"The school bus would come by to pick him up for school, he wouldn't get on the bus — he would run along beside the bus," he says.

The couple show me an album full of snaps of family gatherings with the man who grew into a champion before their very eyes, and became more than just a boxer.

For many, it was his stance on civil rights and religious freedom that turned him into what he became.

"I think he's a hero," Violet tells me.

"Yes ma'am, I most certainly do. People all over the world love Muhammad Ali. It's just amazing how that came about, but yes to me he is a hero, and I think he's a hero to a lot of people."

7479006-3x4-340x453.jpg

7479048-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: An undated photo of Lawrence Montgomery with his friend Muhammad Ali. (Supplied)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-05/muhammad-ali-louisville-mourns-favourite-son/7478966

Went to the prayer service today for Muhammad-Ali at the Freedom Hall here in Louisville Ky. i was not aware that Sugar Ray Leonard was going to be there i did take a picture with him i will post it here on the forum i forgot my phone so a nice lady took the picture for me.

i also got to see Muhammad-Ali casket there was no word until today that it was going to be there. I will try to take pictures Fri June 10th of the the funeral Motor Cage that will go by it will visit different places in Louisville before the Champ is taking to his finale resting place. My friend was able to get us tickets to go to the memorial so i am glad i will be there.

^^Im VERY glad you got to go to the prayer service and will go to the memorial too. I watched the news coverage and will watch on tv today too.

I watched the documentary "I Am Ali" and I liked it a lot. I haven't been that much of a box fan so I didn't really know much about him other than that he was a great champion and also a "big mouth" who liked to brag. But this documentary shed a light to me on what a great person and personality he really was. A very intelligent man of principles and values and that the "bragging" was really just for the show and entertainment.

I also watched the movie "Ali" with Will Smith but I didn't like that one so much. I was much more impressed by the documentary. The real Ali was so much more fascinating than anything Will could portray. (Probably there would be a similar problem with Michael Jackson biopics.)

I highly recommend this documentary.

Absolutely devastated by this.:( Im old enough to remember when Ali was healthy. It was so sad to see his vitality and wit fade like that. Rest in peace The Greatest.

Here are some pictures from Muhammad Ali funeral procession that took place on Fri June 10th in Louisville,Ky so beautiful.

2016-06-10T190534Z_1224986163_S1AETJDPYKAA_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-ALI.JPG

A man races to place flowers on the hearse carrying the body of the late boxing champion Muhammad Ali during his funeral procession through Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., June 10, 2016. REUTERS/Adrees Latif

2016-06-10T193606Z_1559698635_S1AETJDSQWAA_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-ALI.JPG

The childhood house (pink) of late boxing champion Muhammad Ali is seen in the background as well-wishers surround a hearse carrying his body during his funeral procession through Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., June 10, 2016. REUTERS/Adrees Latif

funeral-held-boxing-legend-muhammad-20160610-203937-083.jpg

LOUISVILLE, KY - JUNE 10: Family members look on during a memorial service for boxing legend Muhammad Ali on June 10, 2016 at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Ali died June 3 of complications from Parkinson's disease. (Photo by Aaron P. Bernstein/Getty Images)

2016-06-10T193817Z_467623086_TM3EC6A175F01_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-ALI.JPG

Pallbearers move into place by Muhammad Ali's casket as it prepares to begin a procession through his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., June 10, 2016. REUTERS/Michael Clevenger/POOL

2016-06-10T193822Z_1768761681_TM3EC6A175J01_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-ALI.JPG

Pallbearers place Muhammad Ali's casket in the hearse as it prepares to begin a procession through his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., June 10, 2016. REUTERS/Michael Clevenger/POOL

2016-06-10T193807Z_1165294744_TM3EC6A175C01_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-ALI.JPG

Lonnie Ali, widow of Muhammad Ali, leaves the funeral home to begin a procession through his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, U.S., June 10, 2016. REUTERS/Michael Clevenger/POOL

912c4121d8f3413b91ee14ffc10c53ee.jpg

Actor Will Smith greets the crowd as he takes part in Muhammad Ali's funeral procession while they enter Cave Hill Cemetery, Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

afb3febea8a944a9a0e74db32162981e.jpg

Hana Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali, is throw flowers as she rides in her father's funeral procession while it enters Cave Hill Cemetery, Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

funeral-held-boxing-legend-muhammad-20160610-173541-444.jpg

LOUISVILLE, KY - JUNE 10: Ashlee Brown, of Louisville, walks down the street with her kids, all wearing the same Ali t shirts, after the funeral procession motorcade on Grand Avenue drove by in the front of Ali's childhood home on June 10, 2016 in Louisville, Kentucky. The funeral procession for Ali was traveling over 20 miles on a designated route throughout Louisville on the way to Cave Hill Cemetery. The four-time world heavyweight boxing champion died on June 3 at age 74. (Photo by Ty Wright/Getty Images)

funeral-held-boxing-legend-muhammad-20160610-173636-192.jpg

LOUISVILLE, KY - JUNE 10: Friends and family of Muhammad Ali shake hands with people in the crowd lining Grand Avenue as the funeral procession motorcade drives in front Ali's childhood home on June 10, 2016 in Louisville, Kentucky. The funeral procession for Ali was traveling over 20 miles on a designated route throughout Louisville on the way to Cave Hill Cemetery. The four-time world heavyweight boxing champion died on June 3 at age 74. (Photo by Ty Wright/Getty Images)

88dee4d4001949d79b1812612d6a6473.jpg

Muhammad Ali's funeral procession passes as onlookers line the street Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

810107c169404df7a020997fef4bd5d8.jpg

Lena Worthington, 2, of Louisville, wears boxing gloves as spectators wait for the arrival of Muhammad Ali's funeral procession to enter Cave Hill Cemetery, Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. Ali died last Friday at age 74 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

40efd79564004e6594d31b2eb07b8ddd.jpg

The hearse carrying Muhammad Ali arrives as spectators watch his funeral procession enter Cave Hill Cemetery, Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

9cdf2a3de36d4403b87083ccd033a980.jpg

Muhammad Ali's funeral procession passes as onlookers line the street Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

2016-06-10T163027Z_213840601_S1AETJDCELAA_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-ALI.JPG

A hearse carrying the late boxing champion Muhammad Ali passes Ali's childhood home in Louisville, Kentucky, U.S. June 10, 2016. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

3c1ebd3f5786661d9b0f6a7067002f5f.jpg

A woman spreads roses along the entrance way to Cave Hill Cemetery as police stand guard before the arrival of Muhammad Ali's funeral procession, Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. Ali died last Friday at age 74 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. (Scott Utterback/The Courier-Journal via AP) DIT MBO

54da9131dc144e84a8ce5fa1998ef089.jpg

Toya Johnson reads an historic site plaque in front of the boyhood home of Muhammad Ali Friday, June 10, 2016, in Louisville, Ky. Ali's funeral procession is scheduled to pass by the house later in the day. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

If you every get the chance to visit Louisville, Ky you will be able to visit Muhammad Ali: grave site it is open to the public.

Last edited:
Back