Naughty by Nature - O.P.P

L.T.D

Proud Member
Ok this is quite a famous hip hop song and we all know that the song ABC by The Jackson 5 is sampled in this song.

Something I have also noticed, is that part of the beat in this song is the exact same as the song 'Do you know where your children are' by Michael which was recorded for the Dangerous album but is unreleased.

What part did Michael play in this song? I can't see that he is credited as playing a part in making the song unless he is credited under a fake name.

Ok this is quite a famous hip hop song and we all know that the song ABC by The Jackson 5 is sampled in this song.

Something I have also noticed, is that part of the beat in this song is the exact same as the song 'Do you know where your children are' by Michael which was recorded for the Dangerous album but is unreleased.

What part did Michael play in this song? I can't see that he is credited as playing a part in making the song unless he is credited under a fake name.

Which song do you mean? ABC or Do you know...?

He did not play any part in writing ABC. He was just a child. He wrote Do you know.

The drum break used in both songs is a very common sample. Michael sampled the break for DYKWYCA, just as Naughty By Nature did for OPP (along with the ABC sample).

I worked on a mash up with the 2 songs............the beat is EXECTLY the same.

Would love to know the history of the 2 songs.

Which song do you mean? ABC or Do you know...?

He did not play any part in writing ABC. He was just a child. He wrote Do you know.

I was under the impression he played a part in producing the the song O.P.P by Naughty by Nature considering a Jackson 5 song is sampled, and the beat is exactly the same in 'Do You Know Where your Children Are' as in this song.

The drum break used in both songs is a very common sample. Michael sampled the break for DYKWYCA, just as Naughty By Nature did for OPP (along with the ABC sample).
Indeed, one of those tracks that was sampled to death during hip hop's golden age. And not just that break either, when I listened to the clip just now De La Soul's Potholes in my Lawn and Redman's Jam 4 U came to mind which sample different parts of the song (listening to the latter now for the first time in ages, great track).

Some other tracks that sample it (there are literally tons more):

Wow that's amazing. There is also a cowbell type sound in both records which is exactly the same.
Good observation. That cowbell is not on the original record and I do not remember hearing it on any track except OPP. So it might be that Naughty by Nature added the cowbell to the track and MJ sampled OPP rather than the Melvin Bliss original directly (which would be possible timeline wise, since OPP was released in mid/late 1991 and DYKWYCA is, if I remember correctly, from 1993). But MJ was definitely not involved in the production of OPP. I think The Corporation did get a writing credit for it, since the song relied so heavily on the ABC sample.

As for MJ and sampling: he did not use that many samples in his music, but clearly was not opposed to it either. Another example of a drum beat he sampled is the one from Another Day. I cannot remember which game it was, but someone once posted a video of an early 2000s console (I think the Dreamcast) game in which the exact same beat was featured. I think it's just a loop from a stock library.

Last edited:
Back