Neo-Soul

Musiq's below par compared to many of his soulful contemporaries, so i wouldn't use him as an example.

i'd rather listen to Spacek than Donny given an illogical choice. but contemporary soul also heavily incorporates jazz and Latin grooves into the mix as well as the advances of electronic music compared to the 60s/70s, so i can't see an objective comparison really.

thanks for posting that Maxwell track, Supe. my net's really slow today for some reason so i can't hear it just yet, but when i'm able i'll get back to you.

I see your point. But I guess if you're not into those extra elements, you're not gonna dig it, lol. It's a different feeling... though I feel some who get the "neo-soul" tag are unfairly tagged, like Kem for example.

But I guess if you're not into those extra elements, you're not gonna dig it,

well exactly! and that's what it is - has all those "extra elements" so it's a different style of music. and because of that, i don't understand the competitive comparisons.

i think sometimes we take labels too seriously, because sometimes we erect barriers between musical genres that can narrow down to sheer prejudice. and this does nothing but create an illegitimate separation. Stevie demonstrated against this best by showing his peers and the world that music is open to all sorts of radical fusions.

and so what we hear today are different styles altogether (just as they were 40, 50, 60 - 1000 years ago). so comparing wouldn't do justice to any side in my honest opinion.

and technically, it's the similarity of some chord progressions, lyrics, singing and other instruments that base the core as "soul" for any music which shares this - and "neo soul" (as broad as the sounds can be) just happens to do so alongside the mixture of the other extensions i listed above that contribute equally to making the music what it is - individual in its own right.

as to your last point - i think anyone who has a creative style would be unfairly tagged as you say (it's a nice way of putting it) for whatever label we give them.

sorry it's 5am and i'm tired so i don't know if that made sense, if i ever do.

Last edited:
my favourite 21st century piece of music. now that enthusiastic clame would immediately over-hype anything it's referring to, but since i've been constantly rinsing the following for a good few years now without getting tired of it (and i can get bored too easily), i think it deserves the label.

from two Dutch soul maestros,

15rbpg3.jpg

U-Gene & Aardvarck

Untitled

Re: Liquid Spirits

^ wow, love its feel. quite similar to Steve Spacek's style. i just visited Spirits' website (dont know how U-Gene & Aardvarcks are related to the group?) and found they also collaborated with Leon Ware (as Spacek did) and the outcome, a downtempo track Melodies is beautiful too. though i like the way vocals on the track above are more subtle and well blended with the sound of other instruments which makes the whole track flowing more smoothly compared to the one with Ware's singing style.

i also like this more hip-hop-style track, even rap part is pretty listenable lol, combined with the sweet and smooth instrumental background. i need to get their albums.

^ wow, love its feel. quite similar to Steve Spacek's style. i just visited Spirits' website (dont know how U-Gene & Aardvarcks are related to the group?) and found they also collaborated with Leon Ware (as Spacek did) and the outcome, a downtempo track Melodies is beautiful too. though i like the way vocals on the track above are more subtle and well blended with the sound of other instruments which makes the whole track flowing more smoothly compared to the one with Ware's singing style.
yep, Dutch soul at its best. and U-Gene is the vocalist in Liquid Spirits. some of the best vocals i've ever heard, very unique especially the arrangement.

another strong favourite of mine, this one's from top class UK artist Hefner from his 2001 debut album 'Residue':

2i8x1xw.jpg

Level Green

(Alternate
Version)

(Blue States
Mix)

You know, when I asked for a hook up, I was being literal *cough* arXter *cough*

another strong favourite of mine, this one's from top class UK artist Hefner from his 2001 debut album 'Residue':

i came across Hefner before, he made this nice remix, appeared on these 3 releases:

51QRWP40YAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
411byM0a6AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51BH36946PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

more electro/jazz style

4Hero - Planetaria [Hefner Remix]

oh my daysss yesss that is a ravers classic! played a lot during the uk garage days and still pops up from time to time these days on playlists of cats like Gilles Peterson. the Interpretations album is really nice too, has a variety of talents remixing 4Hero classics.

and Hefner has released new material this year (or late last year) which is more house-oriented, but it's the best damn house i've ever heard. forgot its name, i'll try and dig it up.....

Nice soulful track with D'Angelo on the rhodes.

don-e_-_natural.jpg

So Cold - Don-E feat. D'Angelo

New Maxwell single. I love it. The beginning sounds like ad-libbing, but you realize he just eases right into the chorus. Kinda hard to explain. I love the horns at the end... real catchy tune.

badhabitsuncutsingle.png

Maxwell - Bad Habits (Uncut)

Yeah man, first two singles are bangin'. He's also featured on a track with Alchemist that's pretty hot, can't remember the name but I'll look for it on iTunes in the next couple of days and grab it.

July is gonna be a good month for a number of reasons.

Re-posted for good measure :D

Maxwell: Bad Habits

[youtube]E8aIfLEM4uc[/youtube]

Kem: Tonight

[youtube]CAyS52B856w[/youtube]

Last edited:
Leon Ware - Night In Brazil [2005]

Maxwell's album is class from start to finish. I first heard it on a plane's entertainment system and probably looped the album throughout half the journey.

Here's Leon Ware with what he dubbed R&Bossa. It actually should be called Bossa & Blues, but whatever you say Leon...

[youtube]HworCdIbbCI[/youtube]​

VH1's 'Dear Mama' Special Adds Maxwell

4/28/2017 by Carl Lamarre Billboard
maxwell-press-2017-cr-Eric-Johnson-billboard-1548.jpg

After announcing Ludacris as the newest addition to VH1's Dear Mama: An Event to Honor Moms, R&B singer Maxwell has been inserted into the mix.

Like his contemporaries, Maxwell will pay special tribute to the women of his life -- namely his mother and grandmother, as well as all moms -- on May 8. Other artists like DJ Khaled, Robin Thicke, and Kelly Rowland will partake in the celebration.

Next month, the "Pretty Wings" singer will launch his headlining summer tour with Common, Leela James, and Ledisi. Common will appear on the first two shows in Nashville, Tennessee on May 23 and Greenville, South Carolina on May 24.

In November 2016, Maxwell teamed up with Mary J. Blige for The King and Queen of Hearts World Tour. Last month, he partnered up with TIDAL to release his "Gods" music video.

Dear Mama will take place at Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in Pasadena, California. The show will be hosted by Anthony Anderson and La La Anthony.

Dear Mama will air on VH1 on May 8 at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Back