New MJ content (Possibility)

It's certainly possible then, in regards to Shut Up & Dance and the other unfinished tracks greatestartists said their is a bonus mix of two unfinished songs being considered. And concerning Descending Angels, GA also referred to interludes.. Of course I'd prefer Ghosts to be released instead but who can confirm anything? No one, the estate have said they will announce projects when all details are finalised and ready. To think nothing will come of the 50th anniversary this early is kinda jumping the gun huh? I say give it till September...

Ghosts? We have already seen Ghosts. I prefer something totally new. Ghosts would only sell to hardcore fans. The dancing is great but the rest is kind of a mess.

Ghosts? We have already seen Ghosts. I prefer something totally new. Ghosts would only sell to hardcore fans. The dancing is great but the rest is kind of a mess.

I mean on a mass scale, it was given a 3D showing at the Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles a few years back. It deserves to be released on Blu-Ray with behind the scenes footage.

I'm beginning to think we might be getting an anniversary album. History 25 perhaps?

Well from what has been rumoured thus far their are tracks from the Dangerous & Invincible sessions also, these too have anniversaries this year

I want Ghosts to get a wide and globally accessible release, but a Blu-Ray isn't the way to go in my opinion. Even with the behind-the-scenes documentary, that's not even 90 minutes worth of material, which is a huge waste of resources.

Personally, I'd like it if they put all of Michael's short films on Netflix in HD/4K, with each album represented as seasons. Then there could be an "Other" section that includes the full versions of Ghosts and Captain EO.

If the hugely unfinished “ideas” songs are included as bonus tracks on a deluxe album, that would be so amazing.

We’ve heard first hand reports of how amazing these 2008~ songs sound but without vocals I fear we will never experience Michael’s final direction.

I also seem to remember the Estate admit they were working on something but Covid slowed it down. Might be a History package?

dam2040;4319556 said:
If the hugely unfinished “ideas” songs are included as bonus tracks on a deluxe album, that would be so amazing.

We’ve heard first hand reports of how amazing these 2008~ songs sound but without vocals I fear we will never experience Michael’s final direction.

I also seem to remember the Estate admit they were working on something but Covid slowed it down. Might be a History package?

Yeah they were working on a HIStory project. Covid and LN seemed to have got in the way of a few things. What intrigues me most though is the one off project John Mcclain described a couple of years back that they wanted to keep secret. A few things appear to have been worked on, what will come out in the end?

Last edited:
Yeah they were working on a HIStory project. Covid and LN seemed to have got in the way of a few things. What intrigues me most though is the one off project John Mcclain described a couple of years back that they wanted to keep secret. A few things appear to have been worked on, what will come out in the end?

When and where did McClain say it? :eek: This would be shocking news as that guy literally likes to operate from the shadows.

This was around the same time when Mark Ronson teased on Instagram “Unreleased MJ Coming Soon” but for whatever reason nothing happened. Nor did his extended remix get released either.
SmoothGangsta;4319560 said:
A Sony executive said that he was working on stuff. I don't think John actually said anything about it.

Fuzball;4319559 said:
When and where did McClain say it? :eek: This would be shocking news as that guy literally likes to operate from the shadows.

McClain has never said anything publicly. However, there has been confirmation that a number of projects were sidelined.

The FAQ page on the official Michael Jackson site says, "The Estate had a number of plans [for 2019 and 2020], including those for the 10th anniversary of the release of This Is It, that were all impacted by the release of Leaving Neverland. Regardless of the fact that it is not truthful and will be exposed for its lies, in the short term, its release made other media companies reluctant, at least temporarily, to license any new Michael Jackson programming. This has already started to pass. And, of course, in 2020 we are all dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic that has resulted in a delay for the opening of MJ the Musical on Broadway, as well as impacting other plans we had for this year."

As far as new music goes, in August 2018, Sony executive Rob Stringer said: “We’re constantly scouring the catalog for ideas, but there are no plans at the moment to put any more full-fledged albums out. We are looking at one-off songs, and in this streaming world that works because it’s a track-based world. There are a few gems out there that we may unearth individually over the next months and years, but we’re also very, very careful to make sure the fan base doesn’t feel like they’ve been asked yet again to buy material they have.”

"However, that’s not to say fans won’t be hearing any “new” music from Jackson soon, as the other co-executor of the estate, John McClain, is reworking a batch of tracks alongside a high-profile producer the estate wants to keep secret for a one-off release."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-michael-jackson-estate-20180829-story.html

Mclain didn't say anything publically on a HIStory project but it does appear on the official FAQ on the Michael Jackson website.

"WHY ISN’T THERE A HISTORY 25 RELEASE? OR A HISTORY CONCERT FILM?

In our opinion this album is Michael’s most underappreciated and one of his very best. Although they were never announced, the Estate had plans to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the HIStory album this year, but because of COVID-19, those plans had to be modified. So, while we still have plans to celebrate HIStory with appropriate audio and audiovisual elements, we don’t believe in making announcements until we are in a position to share all of the relevant details. It is our hope that the world will open up again soon, and allow our creators to finish their work."

https://www.michaeljackson.com/michael-jackson-faq/

Last edited:
rreally? is that true?

Seven Digits, Man in Black, Stay, and Verdict are all Bryan Loren tracks from the Dangerous era. Rampage and CGYWOOM are Invincible tracks as are Pressure & Pain. And yes, Dangerous is 30 this year and Invincible is 20.

^I think the updates on ascap have nothing to do with a supposedly upcoming release.

^I think the updates on ascap have nothing to do with a supposedly upcoming release.

I'm just referring to tracks that have been rumoured, not what's on the track listing of a "possible" release.

I'll wait with bated breath about anything new. Last time we had new music was back in 2014 6 years ago!

One thing i find stupid about the latest FAQ on the easte website is "Michael had several philosophies that we use as guides. One of those is, “The quality goes in before the name goes on.” Just because something exists doesn’t mean it should be made public – and sharing with the fans is the same as making it public." I'm like, well that's a load ob B.S right there. They seemed to have no problem putting Demos on the deluxe versions of Bad 25 and Xscape so why they said that doesn't make sense to me.

^^ Fans wanted the original versions on Xscape. As for BAD 25 six of the tracks had never been heard before, it's completely acceptable to include demo's on anniversary editions. Multiple artists have done the same. As for the "quality" statement I wish they had the same intuition in regards to the Wembley show.

Regarding Xscape, they should have only released the demos, not those ruin remixes they put on the main CD...

Regarding Xscape, they should have only released the demos, not those ruin remixes they put on the main CD...
people still complain even after getting all the demos. wow.

I'm glad we got both. BG is clearly better than its demo.

Last edited:

You better not make him mad!:laughing:

giphy.gif

Recently I had this thought about those:

"Michael and Xscape final mixes? Well, take Michelangelo's [or any great painter] canvas, not necessarily unfinished, then fill any possible space with Unreal Engine generated models. There, you have most of Michael and Xscape."

...thinking of using this as forum signature.

I never understood the mentality behind comparing an unfinished Michelangelo painting with an unfinished MJ song. They aren’t comparable in my opinion.

The name may be changed if some other name is appropriate. It's not about the works, it's about the process.

Does it really matter if the songs are remixed if the original demos are on the album anyway? The estate would never release just the demos, it wouldn’t happen because an album like that wouldn’t chart well enough. No way would the top minds of the music industry accept an album of half finished Michael Jackson songs straight from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s; they would give it next to no promotion, which would make the whole endeavour not worth the estate’s time. Sadly they are in the major money making business, and will be hesitant to release an album that will only get attention from places like this. Having big name producers and modern pop star features attached to the songs is the way to get the album into the mainstream. So really we either accept the remixes or never see another MJ studio album.

The demos on the second disc is the compromise, and it makes perfect sense. We can just ignore the remixes; some of them may actually have the bonus of being quite good, you never know.

Any future release of unheard music is inherently a double edged sword. If you give us unaltered and untouched material, it’s a more authentic and genuine listening experience, but it’s also disrespecting MJ’s mantra of “don’t let the world hear it until it’s finished.” If you reproduce and/or embellish the track, you’re respecting MJ’s artistic process, but you’re also robbing him of the ability to guide the song to completion. It’s literally impossible to do it in a 100% perfect way. (Though I would argue that there are objectively wrong ways to go about things, one of which being to treat the project like a remix album and ignore any of MJ’s creative ideas *cough cough* XSCAPE *cough cough*.)

It’s such an odd position to be in. Like, how do you do right by an artist whose core artistic philosophies can’t be upheld posthumously?

Maxym;4319597 said:

That is a rather general and unavoidable problem that applies also to many other deceased artists.

Due to the huge technological advancements regarding the mixing and remixing process that took place in the ‘70s, record companies took advantage of that and from ‘80s onwards almost every posthumous release involves some level of remixing and contemporizing the unheard, original songs/demos.

The ‘Xscape’ posthumous album simply followed that pattern.

Also, remixing and contemporizing the unheard, original songs/demos (for a posthumous release) is also a very effective way for the record companies to easier attract younger listeners to buy the album (because a remixed, contemporized and modern sound appeals easier to younger listeners).

Remember, even Michael Jackson himself when he was still alive did a similar thing by including remixed versions of his songs in his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album (because, as he stated, kids like remixes).

AlwaysThere;4319606 said:
Any future release of unheard music is inherently a double edged sword. If you give us unaltered and untouched material, it’s a more authentic and genuine listening experience, but it’s also disrespecting MJ’s mantra of “don’t let the world hear it until it’s finished.” If you reproduce and/or embellish the track, you’re respecting MJ’s artistic process, but you’re also robbing him of the ability to guide the song to completion. It’s literally impossible to do it in a 100% perfect way. (Though I would argue that there are objectively wrong ways to go about things, one of which being to treat the project like a remix album and ignore any of MJ’s creative ideas *cough cough* XSCAPE *cough cough*.)

It’s such an odd position to be in. Like, how do you do right by an artist whose core artistic philosophies can’t be upheld posthumously?

There is also a third option:

There are certain, great unheard outtakes (in a finished state) that did not make his studio albums because, as also Bruce Swedien confirmed, these outtakes simply did not fit the cohesion and concept of a given studio album.

So, these outtakes can get a posthumous release (in their unaltered, untouched and finished state) without disrespecting the singer’s philosophy of not letting the world hear it until it is finished.

^^^

Regarding the remixes on BOTDF I think MJ did not like those himself, but his contract with SONY made him release it.
I don't really think young people listens to remixes, do they? - I mean at clubs, discos maybe. But at home, in the car etc.? I think most people, also youngsters, listen to the normal versions of songs? - I do not know though, but I am 34 - and even when I was young/younger I never liked/cared for/listened to remixes... And none of my friends or others I know have ever shown interest in listening to remixes.

MJ's history with remixes is kinda spotty, on the one hand he has previously said he didn't like them, on the other I'm pretty sure that they were his idea on a few occasions, like Thriller 25 and possibly BOTDF. I don't think this particular discussion applies to finishing unfinished work after an artist is deceased, though.

The tracks on Michael, regarding the authentic one's anyway... Were beautiful. As for the Xscape album a couple of wrong choices were made in regards to the direction for the instrumental of the tracks. Being contemporary is good for business, but.. What shouldn't be ignored is that they also gave us Michael's original recordings which is great. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Yeah, I think that was an excellent decision on the Estate's part, to include both demos and remixes on Xscape. It really is too bad though that they didn't do the same with the earlier Michael album (particularly in the case of "Best of Joy" and "Behind the Mask").

Back