New MJ content (Possibility)

He’s right though, dates do change.

especially with rumours of Adele releasing very soon, I can see why a potential music release was delayed
Isn't Adele with Sony too? They would have known already.

Isn't Adele with Sony too? They would have known already.

I've know various companies where 2 or 3 adjacent people could work on the same thing, but not together, and not knowing that others are work on similar project (and it had nothing to do with competitive research or so, it was just wasted work due to poor coordination) ... Maybe things are like that at Sony, I don't know...

There's no evidence to suggest that the billboard guy is telling the truth or ever was. And the fact that the date has supposedly changed is even more suspicious. If there was really an imminent release, then why is he apparently the only person who knows anything? All these twitter accounts are attention seekers. Trusting any of them is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yeah... My previous post was sarcastic... Maybe this thread should be renamed "New content, possibilities and conspiracies"

The Estate said months ago when someone asked here about new music. They said nothing was planned.
Who knows maybe they will just drop a new single at any time. In my opinion that would be their best move. Surprise! 😂

The Estate said months ago when someone asked here about new music. They said nothing was planned.
Who knows maybe they will just drop a new single at any time. In my opinion that would be their best move. Surprise! 😂
source?

Both Branca and Prince have said recently that there are things in the works though, so this might’ve just been the Estate trying to calm the masses.

I wasn't expecting anything and I honestly think we would have heard more about this if it was actually a thing. We heard stuff was happening a while before Xscape was announced. I guess if something happens I'll be wrong but I doubt it.

Both Branca and Prince have said recently that there are things in the works though, so this might’ve just been the Estate trying to calm the masses.
Right, it was a while ago, I think early summer/late spring. I remember someone from this forum emailing the Estate and asked directly the question about a September release and stated just what the greasiest artist ever site had posted. Of course they shut down any of the rumored to release new music.

Also, isn't one of the big tenants of this entire fanbase (especially in recent years) is to trust in facts and not hearsay/speculation? Personally, I don't wanna get my hopes up for another Estate/Sony project unless we are 100% certain that an announcement will happen, and that it comes from a credible source- not some baseless Twitter account spouting nonsense.

I think this is worth re-iterating.

Spike Lee confirmed he is working on another documentary. I think it must be HIStory

Spike Lee confirmed he is working on another documentary. I think it must be HIStory
He's been saying things about other documentaries for a couple of years now, The Estates official FAQ sub-section says the same.. including Dangerous too. Prince has been educated from a very young age, originally put in place by his father.. he seems to have a keen interest in film.. so it could be that Prince may be referring to film based projects when revealing "I'm working on something" and maybe The Estate are working on something else "I know The Estate are working on something". Or it could be that they're working together or maybe on different aspects of one project.. I am excited for what's to come "Eventually".

Agree. OTW was awful and Bad 25 apart from the new footage was disrespectful to the album it was supposed to praise.
Spike teased countless studio clips and even the never-before-seen alternate ending to “Bad”… but gave more screen time to Questlove.

Exhibit A of “just because they’ve worked with Michael doesn’t mean they’re the best people to hire for a project.”

Spike teased countless studio clips and even the never-before-seen alternate ending to “Bad”… but gave more screen time to Questlove.

Exhibit A of “just because they’ve worked with Michael doesn’t mean they’re the best people to hire for a project.”
It's not Spike Lee's fault: he's hired and asked to make a documentary that will appeal to the average person on the street and get them hyped to buy or re-buy MJ's classic albums. So his job is to include a lot of contemporary stars and "talking-heads" and have them endlessly praise MJ, to the point of saturation. Technical stuff, discussions on the origins of songs, that kind of stuff, is for hardcore fans, not for the average person who is browsing the "What's New" section on Netflix.

MJ himself (or his team) did the same thing with the "The One" TV special back in the day.

It's not Spike Lee's fault: he's hired and asked to make a documentary that will appeal to the average person on the street and get them hyped to buy or re-buy MJ's classic albums. So his job is to include a lot of contemporary stars and "talking-heads" and have them endlessly praise MJ, to the point of saturation. Technical stuff, discussions on the origins of songs, that kind of stuff, is for hardcore fans, not for the average person who is browsing the "What's New" section on Netflix.

MJ himself (or his team) did the same thing with the "The One" TV special back in the day.
This doesn’t make sense to me. What average person would say, “I don’t have much interest in Michael Jackson, but I love Kanye! I’ll gladly sit through a 3-hour documentary to see two minutes of screen time!” That might work for a four-minute song, but not a feature-length film. If you’re clicking on the documentary, you’re clicking on it for Michael, not the cameos.

Emphasizing MJ’s continued relevance by interviewing contemporary artists is one thing. Using them to fill up a majority of the runtime is another.

Last edited:
There was lots of times when we did not know anything! Especially nowadays when there really is not many people *in the know* that are genuine. Come back *travis* all is forgiven!
Dates do change.

Spike Lee's philosophy on creating these documentaries about Michael Jackson is very specific:

As he stated, a lot of people need to be reminded about Michael Jackson's art, and especially the young generations who might only know Michael Jackson because of negative stuff about him (such as, the child sexual abuse allegations against him).

That is why in his documentaries he includes people who talk and praise Michael Jackson, and technically this is also very easy for him to do it because many people are eager to talk about Michael Jackson and how much they were positively affected by him.

Let's just hope it's better then OTW doc. I don't have any issue with Bad25 though. History deserves a well rounded doc. It was his most personal album at the time.

No more Spine Lee documentaries. Just because he directed TDCAU doesn’t earn him the right to do another. We all know some people don’t like MJ for various reasons but I can tell you there is a larger group that don’t care for Spike Lee. They will eliminate a large audience if they use him again. Just saying….As soon as they see a Spike Lee joint, they will change the channel and not even give it a chance. Bad 25 was a average doc, Off the wall was garbage. These documentaries should be told by MJs perspective not by talking heads that have nothing to do with the albums. Unless he completely changes his format this is a total waste, as usual estate.

Sony is currently advertising "30" clearly referring to Adele for her upcoming campaign, if a Michael Jackson project were to be in the works it wouldn't be released so close or within the same time frame.. that's just fact, Adele is one of - if not the biggest selling solo artists in the world right now. Let's not forget Ed Sheeran and The Weeknd also have releases scheduled to be coming soon...

Funny how that one person said billboards related to MJ would be going up on the 30th and it turns out to be Adele billboards. Someone wasn't telling the truth.

Where is the source of the ''30'' advertisement?

Sony is currently advertising "30" clearly referring to Adele for her upcoming campaign, if a Michael Jackson project were to be in the works it wouldn't be released so close or within the same time frame.. that's just fact, Adele is one of - if not the biggest selling solo artists in the world right now. Let's not forget Ed Sheeran and The Weeknd also have releases scheduled to be coming soon...

Back