New Official "Say Say Say" Remix Coming October 2015

Re: Kenny Rogers

According to Kenny Rogers' autobiography, the USA For Africa song was originally supposed to be written by Stevie Wonder & Lionel, but Stevie was busy and didn't have time to do it. I don't know if they had done it, that the song would have been called We Are The World, unless Lionel made up the title.

Michael, Lionel & Stevie were supposed to write the song together but Stevie backed out because he needed much more time to write a song because of his condition. So Michael & Lionel started writing it without him. Lionel came up with/wrote part of the chorus melody, then Michael used that and created the whole demo that is on TUC. Then Michael & Lionel wrote the final lyrics together because MJ's demo had a lot of "working" demo lyrics. But Michael came up with the title "We Are The World" as it is in his demo.

I faintly even Lionel saying that they wanted someone to write the song because they, he and Michael, didn't know how to write songs. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

I don't think who ever said that knew what THEY were talking about there... lol!

I faintly even Lionel saying that they wanted someone to write the song because they, he and Michael, didn't know how to write songs. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?
I can "hear" an interview in my head where Lionel was discussing the song and said that neither he or Michael knew how to read or write music-but don't recall anything about wanting somebody else to do it. :)

The interview might have been when they were recreating the song for Haiti.

By this time Michael wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Something, DSTYGE, etc., not to mention the numerous Jacksons songs, so how could anyone think, say or assume he could not write songs? Same for Lionel. Does not make any sense to me.

reading music

so how could anyone think, say or assume he could not write songs? Same for Lionel. Does not make any sense to me.
Maybe he means they don't know how to write notation. Many songwriters, singers, and instrumentalists don't know how to read or write sheet music, but play/sing by ear or hum out what they want to an arranger or to someone playing an instrument. None of The Beatles read music

Re: reading music

By this time Michael wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Something, DSTYGE, etc., not to mention the numerous Jacksons songs, so how could anyone think, say or assume he could not write songs? Same for Lionel. Does not make any sense to me.
I took it the way DuranDuran explained it below-reading or writing sheet music. I've heard and read that numerous times about Paul McCartney as well-

Maybe he means they don't know how to write notation. Many songwriters, singers, and instrumentalists don't know how to read or write sheet music, but play/sing by ear or hum out what they want to an arranger or to someone playing an instrument. None of The Beatles read music

Edited to add: just found a YouTube clip-this is not the interview I saw, but he says the same thing here.

Last edited:
Disc 3: DVD
1. “Pipes of Peace” video
2. “So Bad” video
3. “Say Say Say” video
4. “Hey Hey in Montserrat” (home movie footage)
5. “Behind the Scenes at AIR Studios”
6. “The Man” (home movie footage)

Read More: Paul McCartney to Reissue 'Tug of War' and 'Pipes of Peace' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-tug-of-war-pipes-of-peace-reissue/?trackback=tsmclip

jackmac4.jpg

Re: Say Say Say 2015

So are i :D Isn't it a bit too soon though? Wasn't this supposed to out in October? We aren't even done with September yet :p

Well in NZ, it'll be on the iTunes Store in 25-27 hours! Sometimes iTunes releases it an hour or two before release date for whatever reason, but I ain't complaining! It let me get Xscape a few hours before it's release here :p

Well in NZ, it'll be on the iTunes Store in 25-27 hours! Sometimes iTunes releases it an hour or two before release date for whatever reason, but I ain't complaining! It let me get Xscape a few hours before it's release here :p

Right on, but this was not on an official site, was it? I guess it's one of them things they call leaks. In any case, I found it sweet that it's already available for all of us to enjoy already. I definitely ain't complainin' either. Actually, where I come from there's no such thing as too soon. Still waitin' on the patent for that particular invention :p

The user on soundcloud even had a nice, cute lil' picture to go along with the lovely tune :)

Pauland_Mike.jpg

The fellow on the right is the very embodiment of cheesiness, right? :wub: Just lookin' at that dorky grin of his you can't help but smile back :D

Right on, but this was not on an official site, was it? I guess it's one of them things they call leaks.

Well the CDs would all be pressed right now and making their way out to shops, it's likely whoever leaked this online has access to one of those CDs (which wouldn't be too hard if you worked in the right place). It sounded lower quality than what it should be (the version in the official promo sounds much better) so after giving the beginning a brief listen, I've decided to save it for when I buy the songs on iTunes tomorrow night :D
The fellow on the right is the very embodiment of cheesiness, right? :wub: Just lookin' at that dorky grin of his you can't help but smile back :D

Hehe aww I love seeing photos of MJ and Macca together! They always seem like they're having a great time with each other ^_^

Is it possible to buy this remix separately on itunes or it's another "album only" release?

Is it possible to buy this remix separately on itunes or it's another "album only" release?

I've looked at all of the past 'Paul McCartney Archive Collection' releases on iTunes (which this reissue is a part of) and every single track has been purchasable by itself - even the previously unreleased material only available on those reissues.

I don't see any reason why they would suddenly limit off this track to album only.

EDIT: The only exception to this rule is a few songs that are over 10 minutes, but most songs over 10 minutes on the iTunes Store are Album Only as I've noticed over the years. The new remix is just under 7 minutes.

Last edited:
^ Thanks. I hope it stays this way because I didn't like it when they did it with TMBMTLTT on the Queen collection last year but we knew it's going to be Album Only before the release date.

Um guys, I hate to say it, but that is not Michael.. I think this is a fake remix. Not the official one.

I haven't played the song in full and I'm not going to until I get a high quality version off iTunes (that version sounded pitiful from a quality POV) so I can't judge the voice. However, what's interesting is that iTunes lists the song as 6:58 whereas the Soundcloud version is listed as 6:52.

Now take off 2 seconds for the uploader's watermark at the beginning and another 4 seconds because the audio actually ends at 6:48. This means the song actually has a length of 6:46, 12 seconds less than what the official version is marked as...

the instrumental is so heavily 'remixed' it's hard to fully make out the vocal clearly but it sounds like Mike to me... They definitely shortened the vibrato in sections and some alterations but if you notice the same verses that coincide MJ's shortened vibrato the fallowing verse with Paul does the same thing.. His vibrato not very "paul" either.. It' really easy to do that through various audio tools. People do it all the time now..

Also it defiantly sounds like a demo vocal over another version of the vocal... pronunciation of words were not fully thought through and it starts off to me like Mike wasn't ready to record, voice almost 'horse' in the first few words like he just jumped into It..

I can "hear" an interview in my head where Lionel was discussing the song and said that neither he or Michael knew how to read or write music-but don't recall anything about wanting somebody else to do it. :)

The interview might have been when they were recreating the song for Haiti.

Yeah that's the one i'm talking about! Was it from the haiti interviews?

Um guys, I hate to say it, but that is not Michael.. I think this is a fake remix. Not the official one.

Hm.. I'm going to wait until I hear it in HQ. I never thought I'd ever hear MJ's solo version for Say Say Say. Not quite the full solo version but the closest thing to that.

Also it defiantly sounds like a demo vocal over another version of the vocal... pronunciation of words were not fully thought through and it starts off to me like Mike wasn't ready to record, voice almost 'horse' in the first few words like he just jumped into It..

I don't know about that. The Engineer for this song said that MJ recorded a full 24 track song with the intent to use it for the final mix. But yeah, he could have been a bit careless on Paul's parts because he was not going to sing them in the final mix.

Oh and may I add this is a 100 times better than the other mix they made for TMBMTLTT

Last edited:
His voice does sound a bit off. It could be fake as this user does upload fake stuff a lot.

Last edited:
^
I didn't see that statement but to be fair Mike did record demos in multitrack (24track) often.. Multitrack as u probably know is more so specific to layers of music.. Doesn't always mean each layer is 100% quality... Mike recorded in multitrack often even before sharing a demo to someone because he wanted the FEEL to be right..

of course I don't know if this is the case for this but it just sounds like it to me.. He usually just vocally patterned is words more when the official release over some of his demos didn't as much like this.

To get to the real point of what I'm trying to say is I hope and doubt that were going to have to deal with the controversy of MJ or NOT again in officially released music again.. Especially if Paul is behind it.. Paul has always been very verse and strict regarding legality of things.

To get to the real point of what I'm trying to say is I hope and doubt that were going to have to deal with the controversy of MJ or NOT again in officially released music again.. Especially if Paul is behind it.. Paul has always been very verse and strict regarding legality of things.

I'm very much with you on this one haha. His vibrato does sound a bit off though. I'll wait to hear the official released version anyway.

^ which for the sake of believing its Mike I'm going to go with the track was re-worked recently and shorten the strands in the vibrato.. I mean I can hear it in Pauls voice changed as well in parts too.

They both sounds strange. Paul's voice is also heavy edited.

I am unsure if this is the official remix but, I am sure that is Michael's and Paul's voice.

PAUL MCCARTNEY TALKS 1983 CLASSIC ‘PIPES OF PEACE’ WITH JAMES DEAN BRADFIELD

JDB: That’s one of my other questions - it’s an amazing vocal performance on the entire record, but did it shock you, texturally, how close your voice was to Jackson's voice. Did you have problems trying to separate them?

PM: Yeah, and on the new mix, you can’t tell, I think. When we were writing it, we were in this [launches into Michael Jackson impression] “oooh, yeah,” thing, that’s kind of how he sings anyway. I was just going along with that, I didn’t want to suddenly go [adopts deep, operatic voice] “say, say, say” while he’s doing this little voice. So I like doing that little voice as well, and we were very similar. I must agree, on the new mix we’re going to have to say “Michael, Paul, Michael.” Once you know, you know, but it’s very similar. Our voices match very well, that’s one of the great things about working with him.

http://diymag.com/2015/09/30/sir-pa...ssic-pipes-of-peace-with-james-dean-bradfield

Guys I just played the full version of the new extended remix!!

Obviously, the sound quality is far superior to that crappy leak from a few days ago. A few very quick comparisons show between the official version and that Soundcloud link show that the remix were actually legit on that leak (just filtered badly for whatever reason). The official version is a good few seconds longer than the Soundcloud link too.

The song itself though is great! The vast majority of the song is sung by Michael. At around 3 minutes 15 seconds you also hear MJ ad lib along too! Personally, I might've liked a few more Macca vocals (since I love them both!) but MJ fans, you're in for a treat :)

^ Did you buy it on iTunes? I am checking out iTunes and it is not yet released in my country.

Back