New UK MJ TV Documentary coming in 2017 with Earnest Valentino? Airs Sunday 26/03 9pm Channel 5 (UK)

I watched the rest of this show last night and it briefly mentioned the Arvizo allegations, but it presented it as another naive mistake by MJ, not something more sinister. It did not make it look as though MJ was guilty. Rather it showed the clip of MJ and Gavin, where Gavin describes wanting to sleep in MJ's bed AND it also included Mj's bit that clarified that he slept in on the floor. Most media will ignore that bit. Well done to them.

It used a piece of the Dr Murray audio recording and wrongly said that MJ phoned Murray, which was a shame. The audio was used to good effect though I although it's horrible listening to MJ drugged like that, what he said was poignant. You'll understand if you see the show.

Overall a good piece of TV IMO.

Far better than some have reported.

Why is it that virtually no-one besides us lot is capable of looking behind the curtain on all this mess?

You see documentary makers, journalists, members of the public digging deep into the 'untold' story all the time. The story that goes against the status quo or that no-one's thought to tell yet. And I think there's a real distrust of media these days so people are eager to correct them. BUT when it comes to this situation with Michael absolutely no-one is looking at it besides us. And we are all written off as lunatics in denial and unable to see the 'truth' about our idol. It's just so difficult to understand why for me.

Did no one record this ? :( would like to see it.

Is anyone able to download and upload to mega ?

It was a documentary that included:

Interviews with people that knew MJ (e.g. Jennifer Batten);
Archive footage of MJ;
Short dramatisations with actors showing the events being discussed.

Archive footage of MJ;

So was bad bout mike?

I'm still waiting for the day that somebody in film, TV, or the news media decide that the most sensational story of all is that MJ was blackmailed, framed and then unfairly treated with total disdain by some parts of the media for the rest of his life. At this point everybody knows about the allegations and there are those who believe them (usually based on tabloid and internet gossip) and there are those who don't believe them (based on court documents, evidence etc). The Tv media seems intent on continuing the fallacy that MJ was a child abuser and they do whatever they can to promote that. They take the most salacious bits of information from allegations, court proceedings, urban myths and combine them into horrendous documentaries that further pollute MJ's public image. Either those people are deliberately and actively trying to destroy Mj's legacy, OR they genuinely believe all the tabloid crap they've read over the last 20 years, OR they honestly belief that the general public WANT to see this stuff on TV. Perhaps they feel it will attract more viewers. Perhaps they believe a more balanced approach would not interest the public.

This was written on FB today:

Hughes Productions is pushing for Michaelgate: The Movie based on the book, "Redemption: The Truth Behind The Michael Jackson Child Molestation Allegation" be made this year! No story is worth telling until we tell the Untold story about the extortion scheme that launched the false child abuse allegations against MJ. This movie is about clearing Michael Jackson's name and protecting his legacy. Nothing is more important for someone that healed the world with his music, giving and love. It's never too late for the truth. It's never too late for Michaelgate: The Movie.

So was bad bout mike?

This is the official programme synopsis:

'Profile of the singer, exploring his development from child star to iconic performer, and how growing up in the public eye had a devastating psychological impact'.

I didn't notice anything particularly good about it. I was mentally dismissing most of it as I watched.

So was bad bout mike?

No, I thought it was a very good documentary that encouraged the viewer to empathise with MJ.

Others may disagree, but I classify any documentary that mentions the allegations against MJ and presents the information in a neutral manner as being positive. They portrayed MJ as a naive man who never really grew up, and I think it is possible to say that (at a basic level) they are correct. The show didn't fight to show MJ's innocence, but it didn't condemn him for settling the Chandlers civil suit. It didn't condemn him for allowing himself to be accused by Arvizo. Of course I would have preferred more detail about WHY he settled the case, and some information about the Arvizo's ludicrous actions but there wasn't time - it was already over 2 hours long (with ad breaks included).

movie on the book 'Redemption' cheesy or not I'll be for It just for the factual bases of it...

With all due respect, some of you need to calm the hell down. If you haven't watched the documentary half way or even fully then it makes no sense to state your opinion.

Everybody here knows the media have not, and still are not kind to MJ at all. I can understand why you would be skeptical about watching anything which involves his life. I was too. However, this documentary was in no way shape or form degrading towards him. May I remind you that his MOTHER Katherine Jackson was one of those who were interviewed.

Yes they touched on controversial and sensitive topics regarding his life, but they were not biased at all. We are all entitled to our opinion yes, but there comes a point where common ground needs to be reached. I would have preferred if they just talked about his achievements but let's be realistic here. I do not think the actors were bad at all. Especially the guy who played Joe Jackson who looked SO similar to him. Everything was natural so I don't understand what the actors could have done more?

This documentary is one of the few I have watched that actually sympathized with MJ many times.

I've reached a conclusion that most of you guys don't watch shows to enjoy or understand, you watch to criticize.

Archive footage of MJ;

Was there any new footage of MJ or any new information from the interviews? Or is it all stuff we have already seen?

I got this from Reddit.
It's the opinion of someone that watched the whole thing.
Last Friday, the Michael Jackson biopic 'Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror' was released in the UK on Channel 5, 7PM. It featured Michael Jackson impersonator Earnest Valentino, a longtime impersonator.
I have personally watched this biopic and have to say shame on him for even accepting this role. It is full of lies and deceit, as well as a lot of factual inaccuracies.
Navi (longtime friend of Michael and impersonator) commented on Facebook, saying "I am sorry but sadly I am disappointed by the channel 5 programme Man in the mirror tonight [...] I couldn't watch more hearsay and dramatising about Michael I had to turn it off."
Navi was offered the role of Michael in this biopic but point blank refused to accept. He said " I am even more disgusted by the impersonator that supported this.
I turned it down for a reason. Michael Jackson . You should of too .!!!"
Have you watched 'Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror' featuring Earnest? What did you think of it? You can find it here: https://www.my5.tv/michael-jackson-man-in-the-mirror/season-1/michael-jackson-man-in-the-mirror
Just to remind you, the MJ biopic featuring Navi called 'Michael Jackson - Searching for Neverland' is due for release May 29th, featuring the woman who filmed and discovered Michael in his first audition, Suzanne de Passe.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Just realized....
If/when the MJ hologram ever gets fixed and actually looks like Michael instead of Michael's long lost brother from the uncanny valley then these impersonators would be pretty much put out of business unless they're needed for an acting role.
MJ impersonators are gonna boycott the hologram.:lol:

With all due respect, some of you need to calm the hell down. If you haven't watched the documentary half way or even fully then it makes no sense to state your opinion.

Everybody here knows the media have not, and still are not kind to MJ at all. I can understand why you would be skeptical about watching anything which involves his life. I was too. However, this documentary was in no way shape or form degrading towards him. May I remind you that his MOTHER Katherine Jackson was one of those who were interviewed.

Yes they touched on controversial and sensitive topics regarding his life, but they were not biased at all. We are all entitled to our opinion yes, but there comes a point where common ground needs to be reached. I would have preferred if they just talked about his achievements but let's be realistic here. I do not think the actors were bad at all. Especially the guy who played Joe Jackson who looked SO similar to him. Everything was natural so I don't understand what the actors could have done more?

This documentary is one of the few I have watched that actually sympathized with MJ many times.

I've reached a conclusion that most of you guys don't watch shows to enjoy or understand, you watch to criticize.

at last somebody else who actually bothered to watch the show.
I have found that the people most offended are those who didn't actually watch the show at all or only watched a few minutes! Ridiculous.

I got this from Reddit.
It's the opinion of someone that watched the whole thing.

He says he's watched all of it and then says it's full of "lies and deceit." Well as far as I can tell it wasn't. A couple of general inaccuracies but nothing that is a problem. This person sounds as though they didn't see it IMO.

Navi didn't watch the full show and goes on the net to condemn a fellow impersonator who (as far as I can tell) wanted to help MJ. As much as I respect the guy, what he did is not cool.

We are all suspicious of the media and Valentino thought he was doing the right thing but perhaps the final cut wasn't as good as he intended. I'm sure Navi won't have creative control over the show he's involved with and I'm surprised he's calling out Valentino because for all he knows he could be screwed over in the same way....or worse!

Anyway, as I've said before the Channel 5 show was good imo. It was sympathetic. It wasn't trashy. It's as good as you can reasonably expect a show to be. Anybody trashing it without seeing all of it need to sit the F down.

As for the other information about Geraldine Hughes' book. Of course I will be interested to see it, but if it really is being produced by her own 'production company' then it's not likely to be shown on any TV network. Especially with a terrible title like "Michaelgate: the movie". Awful. Most likely it'll be available on YouTube but that's about it.

Just watched it, i thought it was really measured and mostly accurate.

One or two scenes were overly sinister (shutting the bedroom door with Chandler in). But I thought it was mainly sympathetic on MJ.

^^I can't even get that far. Guess I'll have to wait til it plays here.
I see ch. 5 is now advertising a Prince doc starring a Prince impersonator.

^^I can't even get that far. Guess I'll have to wait til it plays here.
I see ch. 5 is now advertising a Prince doc starring a Prince impersonator.

Are you sure it's not a Bruno Mars concert?

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

One or two scenes were overly sinister (shutting the bedroom door with Chandler in). But I thought it was mainly sympathetic on MJ.

I watched it too and I agree, a lot more of it than I was expecting was balanced and accurate. It was sympathetic to MJ the majority of the time too. I actually found it quite entertaining in parts, especially in the early J5 to Jacksons period but after that it got sketchy to say the least.

I respect your opinion, so I'll watch it when it plays in the US.

I was on Facebook today and noticed that Earnest Valentino posted an explanation to his fans a few days ago-not an apology-because he also feels that he did nothing to smear Michael. Did they really have a "sperm donor" scene, though? He referred to one.

I'm glad people are actually going to watch this now, rather than get angry without seeing it. Sometimes there's too much drama for no reason.
There is no "scene" but mark Lester does mention mj asking him to be a donor. A pointless blip in a relatively good show.

I watched it too and I agree, a lot more of it than I was expecting was balanced and accurate. It was sympathetic to MJ the majority of the time too. I actually found it quite entertaining in parts, especially in the early J5 to Jacksons period but after that it got sketchy to say the least.

I respect your opinion, so I'll watch it when it plays in the US.

I was on Facebook today and noticed that Earnest Valentino posted an explanation to his fans a few days ago-not an apology-because he also feels that he did nothing to smear Michael. Did they really have a "sperm donor" scene, though? He referred to one

The thing is we don't know (and no-one knows) whether the Mark Lester claim is true or not. So why wouldn't they put it in? It seems feasible to me. They didn;t present it as fact, they just showed Mark claiming it.

The only time I got really annoyed though was when they said Billie Jean was the first single from Thriller. I hate getting chart facts wrong!!

The police examination scene was upsetting though. This is the first scene and repeated later.

Like I say, I though (especially for Channel 5) this was balanced & fair. On the back of the Freddie Mercury one a few weeks ago, I'm surprised & impressed.

I think if I wasn't an MJ fan and wathed this, I'd be very sympathetic towards him. It in no way vilified him, it did portray him as rather a sad character in later life, but judging by the responses in the 'Was Michael sad' thread on here, that's how most respondents see him anyway.

I liked it when they used the lyrics to Childhood to portray how he saw himself. I think using Michael's own music & art would be an excellent documenttary of his self -awareness. I've said before the HIStory era gave us more of a gimpse into Michael's pysche than any interview. The HISory lyrics, Is It Scary, Morphine, the whole of Ghosts.

Back to the documentary, aside from the examination scene, I also found the Bashir clips upsetting. But that's because in some of those I didn't recognise Michael Jackson as I knew & loved him. The feeding Blanket clip always makes me squirm.

Did it have any of his music or show any of his performances? Or was it one of these cheap programs that couldn't afford to pay for the rights?

Haven't watched it yet but apparently it was uploaded onto youtube today

Did it have any of his music or show any of his performances? Or was it one of these cheap programs that couldn't afford to pay for the rights?

Clips of LWMJ, Motown 25, Ed Sullivan, Oprah.

Back