Off The Wall or Thriller

Which album do you prefer?

• Off The Wall

Votes: 43 33.6%
  • Thriller

Votes: 85 66.4%

• Total voters
Off The Wall is my baby, my darling, makes me happy always, I listen to this album probably the most because I'm always in the mood for it. BUT Thriller has no weak songs, while Off The Wall has the monstrosity that is Girlfriend. Also Human Nature is Michael at his most magic, Lady in My Life at his most tender and Billie Jean just has the best bass line off all time. So the best overall would be Thriller for me.

Of course I love both albums but my vote did go to Thriller for the simple reason that I discovered MJ through this amazing album :D

with 'thriller', Michael sang about things that no other artist did. it was as if he took the best of his post Motown work, perfected it, and brought in brand new elements. it has depth yet it's still accessible. the perfect balance between hard and soft, light and dark. diverse yet effortlessly integrated. it's practically a greatest hits album - with 7 of the songs being hits, and 5 of the being classic.

I love the first 3 singles from 'off the wall' - with the title track being my favourite. although I understand and respect the significance of 'she's out of my life', I don't enjoy it. I don't think it's terrible, and I think it works better live. i'm just not fond of ballads in general. the rest of the album doesn't live up to those singles for me. nothing much stands out. I sometimes find the production of the dance tracks to be dark, heavy, and overwhelming, with too much going on and Michael sounding strained ('get on the floor' and 'burn this disco out' are the main culprits of this). the ballads sound awkward, bland, and at odds with the first half of the album ('girlfriend' 'it's the falling in love'). it is nice to hear Michael's happiness though, and I do like the trademarking of his glowing socks and black loafers on the cover :)

Back