Official Behind the Mask video leak?

I can't watch the video from Canada but the official video is in fact fans from all over the world doing Michael's moves, and holding signs in the beginning saying "This video is entirely fan made". The director crowed sourced who whole video and had fans send in videos of themselves moon walking, toe standing, spinning, etc.

Please correct me if this info is wrong MJJCers! I'm pretty sure that video is the official video...

Lark

Yes this is the proper video that was shot around the same time as Hollywood Tonight. It was choreographed by Chucky Klapow (TII dancer). For some unknown reason they went with the fan made version instead even though this is far superior.

It is INFINITELY better than the amateur video that was released. Looks like an official thing. It would be interesting to get the backstory.

I can't watch the video from Canada but the official video is in fact fans from all over the world doing Michael's moves, and holding signs in the beginning saying "This video is entirely fan made". The director crowed sourced who whole video and had fans send in videos of themselves moon walking, toe standing, spinning, etc.

Please correct me if this info is wrong MJJCers! I'm pretty sure that video is the official video...

Lark

No no no, you gotta see this

I received the photos from the Estate about the two videos they were doing, one was HOLLYWOOD TONIGHT, the other was BEHIND THE MASK. The original concept and photo was just like this.

However they didn't use this version, instead they asked fans to contribute , then the official one came out, but the original official video was canned, I thought, maybe forever.

But now....

Last edited:

Lark

Both videos are official. This version was canned and they decided to do the version consisting of fan submitted clips instead.

I really wish it was released instead of the fan version.

Last edited:
Oh I wish I could watch it. The site appears to be in simplified Han and I cannot translate it to english, but the video won't play (I assume t's because of my country).

Lark

Oh I wish I could watch it. The site appears to be in simplified Han and I cannot translate it to english, but the video won't play (I assume t's because of my country).

Lark
what about this link?

[youtube]945mhpdl89s[/youtube]

Last edited:
mkgenie;3879141 said:
No no no, you gotta see this

I received the photos from the Estate about the two videos they were doing, one was HOLLYWOOD TONIGHT, the other was BEHIND THE MASK. The original concept and photo was just like this.

However they didn't use this version, instead they asked fans to contribute , then the official one came out, but the original official video was canned, I thought, maybe forever.

But now....

Yeah it was really frustrating a couple of years ago because a few photos from this video including one of the Dangerous style mask that is in the video, one of the drummer and one of the huskies arriving on set were leaked online and people here were saying they were fake, when all along we knew they were from the official video but the estate would just not release it and decided to do the fan submission version instead.

There is a very brief behind the scenes video from youtube back then as well but I haven't been able to find it since.

Here are Chucky's tweets about it from back then.

@23galadriel Two or three pictures surfaced online months ago from the set of the video shoot. They're out there if you look for them.
14 Jun Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Chucky Klapow
ChuckyKlapow Chucky Klapow
@
@MJloverCaro I definitely agree. But I also was on the set of the real Behind The Mask shoot and it was very exciting and promising.
»
Chucky Klapow
@
@loveforalltime The original concept was shot and it was looking amazing. The fan footage was plan B. I don't know what they were thinking..
»
Chucky Klapow
This isn't what the Behind The Mask video was supposed to look like.. Did the estate pull a fast one on us or something?

It is on youtube now.
I think it will be removed soon.

Last edited:
I definitely prefer this version over the fan video.Even though I do understand that it was a fan video,they could've at LEAST included a couple Michael clips.After all,it was his song.And this video just seems waaayyy more creative and appeasing to the eye.

I have updated it on the first post of this thread.

mkgenie that's an incredible find. Such an amazing video, with loads of MJ footage, clever mask (the Thriller one, Scream one etc) and then some masks from MJs videos. I particularly liked the one from Moonwalker. Brilliant.

Why on earth didn't they release this version???????? Why was it scrapped? What a waste of time, money and effort.

Thank you so much! That was brilliant, the masks and choreography were great!

Love the Moonwalker and Spike masks, and I thought the Stranger In Moscow mask with the lonely man was a great moment too.

Lark

Why on earth didn't they release this version????????

I read somewhere that the videos for MICHAEL all had a focus on the fans. Like Hollywood tonight, the dancer is obviously inspired by MJ, but the version they chose for Behind the Mask is the best example of that. It was a pretty great way to get fans involved, since in the end it is us who would buy it. I loved watching this, but I think they made the right choice in using the fans in such a direct way to celebrate the music.

Michael would have been thrilled to see his fans so involved, and based on his Killer Thriller speech, I think it is something he wanted to see more of with the growing availability in technology.

That's my two cents!

Lark

I loved it, a hologram of Michael in it would have been even better.

Actually didn't like it. Michael wasn't a clubber, he didn't make club music. This concept is out of Michael.. In a Michael video, I want to see Michael himself.

So if they release new videos, they have to use unseen footage from his concerts, shows..

It's still better than the other one, but it's not Michael's style.

I read somewhere that the videos for MICHAEL all had a focus on the fans. Like Hollywood tonight, the dancer is obviously inspired by MJ, but the version they chose for Behind the Mask is the best example of that. It was a pretty great way to get fans involved, since in the end it is us who would buy it.

The right way to focus on fans and make them buy the album is to release what fans want in terms of songs and footage and not release what they think is subpar quality... Sorry.

Back