Official Charts Thread For ''Michael''

Michael will be Invincible part 2 - NO promotion. And now, even some fans are against the album! - Sad sad SAD !

I just can't help but wonder where all his fans are right now...just one copy from the majority of his fanbase and this thing could have been a surefire #1. Anyway, I'm trying to stay optimistic.

I was watching something and I think one problem besides the vocal controversy is that some people don't like someone else finishing Michael's songs. They want songs he finished.

At this point I don't think anything will make everyone happy. No matter what seems to get released This is It, the game, vision there always complaints, negativity. Cirque de soleil is coming and I can only imagine what that will bring. "Michael wouldn't want this or that". It's getting too much.It will drive people not to care anymore.

Really? I live in NY too. So far, I only saw the TV ad once during the commerical break of the Today show.

Where have you seen the promo?

Television commercials, I usually see them about 3-5 times a day. "Monster" is getting a lot of radio play on hip hop stations, for the obvious reason. Not to mention billboards on the bus.

In today's standards is getting enough promotion. As far as BAD & Dangerous type of promotion, nope, none at all.

Television commercials, I usually see them about 3-5 times a day. "Monster" is getting a lot of radio play on hip hop stations, for the obvious reason. Not to mention billboards on the bus.

In today's standards is getting enough promotion. As far as BAD & Dangerous type of promotion, nope, none at all.

Billboards on the bus??? Wow... I guess I really need to open my eyes when I rush to work in the morning....

Damn... how come I don't see all those billboards and TV commercials at all...

It will suck if he dosen't atleast debut at #1 (albeit with "weaker" sales) so I'm still holding out hope...the weekend is just around the corner and I for one will buy another copy when I get paid tomorrow. There is just no freaking way that taylor swift or susan boyle (both of whom have albums that have been out for a while now) will beat the KING OF POP. It's crazy...

Besides the controversy around the Michael album we have to see that pop music and people's general taste in music is in a sad state right now. In Michael's time we had MJ, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Sting, George Michael etc. etc. topping charts, now it's Willow Smith, Justin Bieber, Susan Boyle (no offense, the woman can sing but she is not a creative force), Taylor Swift, Rhianna etc. I'm not totally upset if Michael doesn't fit in this trend. Something is very much wrong with the state of pop music now, if these "artists" are hot while really creative artists usually struggle on the charts. Now it's ALL about promotion and not about quality.

Having said that with his large fan base Michael still could have been Nr 1 everywhere if Sony hadn't f*cked up royally.

Besides the controversy around the Michael album we have to see that pop music and people's general taste in music is in a sad state right now. In Michael's time we had MJ, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Sting, George Michael etc. etc. topping charts, now it's Willow Smith, Justin Bieber, Susan Boyle (no offense, the woman can sing but she is not a creative force), Taylor Swift, Rhianna etc. I'm not totally upset if Michael doesn't fit in this trend. Something is very much wrong with the state of pop music now, if these "artists" are hot while really creative artists usually struggle on the charts. Now it's ALL about promotion and not about quality.

yeah thats a rreally good point i agree completely.

but they say its a tight race between them three thier is still a good chance for him to hit the number 1 slot right??

unfortunately, time has changed...

seems like the people who are still buying albums are tween girls and their parents.

This breaks my heart. It truly does. I don't know if I want to look at the official UK charts on Sunday...

Poor, poor Michael...

I know that this is going to sound stupid. But as much as I hate what happened with this album. For US sales, I am supporting it for Michael's and his children's sake and no one else. I can't let Michael's memory be crucified in the media yet again because of the projected failure of an album that he doesn't even know exists. It's just not right. Promoting the album by word of mouth is the best thing right now IMO.

Last edited:
^^ Hell yeaaaaaaahhhhh... 'MICHAEL' has debtuted at #1 in Sweden and been certified GOLD! (GOLD here means at least 20 000 copies... lol small country I know).

86727764.jpg

'Hold My Hand' is at #12 this week (the highest peak so far)

hmhv.jpg

'Vision' is at #2 this week (the highest peak so far as well)

hmhd.jpg

Last edited:
smooth_criminal05;3141390 said:
At this point, it’s too close to call for #1 next week as Taylor Swift and Susan Boyle battle it out for the final chart before the holidays. However things play out over the weekend, it looks pretty certain that Sony Music will have five in the Top 6 and six in the Top 10. Here's how it's shaping up headed into the weekend.

Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 225-250k
Susan Boyle (Columbia) 225-250k
*Michael Jackson (Epic) 210-225k
Jackie Evancho (Columbia) 210-225k
*R. Kelly (Jive/JLG) 155-170k
Glee Cast Christmas (Columbia) 155-170k
Kid Rock (Atlantic) 90-100k
Glee Cast Vol. 4 (Columbia) 80-90k
Justin Bieber My Worlds Acoustic (Island/IDJ) 70-80k
Nicki Minaj (YM/Cash Money/Universal Motown) 70-80k
Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ) 70-80k
Justin Bieber My World 2.0 (Island/IDJ) 65-75K
Katy Perry (Capitol/EMI) 65-75k
Rihanna (Def Jam/IDJ) 60-70k
Black Eyed Peas (Interscope) 60-70k
*Diddy Dirty Money (Bad Boy) 60-70k

--

So his chances at #1 are shot in the US. He might not even make the top 3. This is too bad :(

Unreal

If sales are this low, he will drop out of the top 10 in no time. And Sony shipped 900K copies

smdh

Unreal. This really hurts. But Sony's lack of promotion isn't solely to blame. I think the Jacksons battling to have their songs on the album & calling the Cascios' track fake caused this.

Instead of releasing a first single in October, Sony & estate were busy hiring forensics & defending the tracks in the press.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Jacksons were celebrating these poor sale figures. They must be happy...and probably they will derail all future projects the estate comes up with.

This is a very sad day.

Last edited:
I am really upset. This is not how I pictured the new album release to be. I expected it to become an instant bestseller. Very sad. Especially because it's truly a GREAT album and it deserves to be bought and heard by everyone.

I don't understand why those 25+ million FB fans are not buying the album.

Ever since release in the UK Michael has been at No1 on HMV but I just looked this morning and its dropped to No5!!!! I dont know if this chart is just for online orders or includes sales in the stores as well but either way I hope its picked up in the Friday/Saturday christmas shopping rush plus Take That did aperformance on the Royal Variety Show on TV last night performing a new song, another boost for their album.

Not looking good I think we need a miracle

It isn't Jacksons fault at all cause Sony has done nothing to defend their tracks, there aren't explanations, experts declarations that we can read... They could spend their energy for the promo, they didn't.

But the album released a little time ago, maybe figures will be better later?

^ Realistically, it has been quite a mess. Not trying to be negative just stating the obvious. Here are a few reasons why:

1) You cannot have success when everyone is divided. The fans are up in arms over the authenticity of the vocals in some songs. Even if the vocals are MJ, the constant controversy has allowed for media to pick it up and as a result most people are questioning the album as a whole.

2) The Jackson family has spoken out against the album which has not helped.

3) Producers are fighting back and forth creating constant drama

4) Low promotion in most parts of the world means many people are not aware of the project

5) A mid-tempo first single that is too safe plus it leaked in 2008 meaning less of a shock factor.

It's a combination of these things in my opinion that has led to lower sales in the US and UK and probably a few other countries.

The Jacksons and the boycotters must be so happy right now. Sad.

Maybe Sony shouldn't have included the controversial tracks. When BN came out they could test the reactions and they still had one month to react before the release. They did nothing.

Plus you cannot blame the lack of promotion on the fans and the Jacksons either.

This sucks really because MJ didn't deserve it, but it's not the fans's fault. It's Sony's and the Estate's fault.

I already read an article in my country how the album is a flop. But they did explain why: they didn't write the vocals were fake, just that fans think they were over-processed and how fans don't like this messing with MJ's voice and art. So no, they don't blame it on MJ, they blame it on the producers of the album.

I cant belive that Susan Boyle and Taylor Swift will doing better than MJ. Thats Insane. Who would thought that??

Chart positions meant a lot for MJ. He liked to be #1 and breaking records.

It would be so sad if he didnt reach #1. Pray pray pray!!

Maybe he will next week or whatever, but still.. ughh

very true

Don't be so sad. Now it's time for everyone to spread the word and promote this CD as much as possible. If you see a bad review, write a good one. Talk positively about it among friends. Buy it as Christmas presents. Stay positive :better:

Ok now for sure it is a big flop:
Uk friday update

Albums

1 Take That
2 Rihanna
3 Michael Buble
4 Michael Jackson
5 Olly Murs

Boycotters and Jacksons love Michael like you and if they boycott this album, they do it cause they think it's the best for Michael. I don't boycott it but I won't buy it and all my friends and family don't care about this CD.

I'm sure it would be different if the CD was more respectful

Boycotters and Jacksons love Michael like you and if they boycott this album, they do it cause they think it's the best for Michael. I don't boycott it but I won't buy it and all my friends and family don't care about this CD.

I'm sure it would be different if the CD was more respectful

Well said. I did buy the album, so I'm not a "boycotter" however I'm not pleased with the utter disrespectful manner Michael has been treated with this album. Starting with the cover to the Cascio tracks and production, BN as the promo single and HMH as the lead single (which has more Akon on it than MJ). And they are two of the weakest tracks on the album. And now even lack of proper promotion.

Apparently Sony thought they can push down everything on MJ fans's throats with his name. I just hope they will draw the right conclusions from this. And no, dear Sony/Estate, the conclusion is not that people are not interested in MJ any more! The conclusion is that you will have to treat his legacy with more respect and put more effort into it being true to his standards to have all the fans's support!

Back