Official Charts Thread For ''Michael''

cks and production, BN as the promo single and HMH as the lead single (which has more Akon on it than MJ).

you do know that Michael himself said that he wanted this song to be the first single from his next album, right? so with the single the Estate did what Michael wanted.

Well here is too re-releases and greatest hits!! If you think you can just tell a corporation like Sony Music how to best market or do a Mj Album then think again.
NO PROFIT= NO INVESTMENT=no more new material.
Well at least we got to hear some new stuff :(

Terry

you do know that Michael himself said that he wanted this song to be the first single from his next album, right? so with the single the Estate did what Michael wanted.

That's just what the Estate claims and I don't believe it. They always say "we do this because Michael wanted this, Michael wanted that" bla-bla, but that's just PR IMO, to justify what they do. They said Michael wrote it on the note but where is the note? Why isn't included in the album like other notes about other songs?

And what next album? He wanted to do movies after TII. Also HMH was meant for Akon's album. If MJ really wanted it to be the first single of anything maybe he meant as the first single of Akon's album. I have a hard time believing he really wanted this to be a lead single of his own album. He didn't write it and he sings less on it than Akon! So why should it be the lead single of any MJ album?

Well, some people in here have warned about this happening!
Don't be surprised if they decide not to release another album with unreleased songs but just re releases of the songs we already know and compilations!
We are not worthy of something more...all we do is demand, argue and destroy everything that doesn't live up to our personal expectations!
I'm glad Michael is not here to see what an embarrassment his fans have become!

Much as I would love to see Michael debut at no1 if it doesnt it does not mean the album is a flop or is everyones album that doesnt get to no1 a flop? Total sales figures are surely what matters more. Not everyone in the UK charts sells outside the UK and the same applies to the US charts and other countries. I dont think any of the artists he is up against are as global as MJ so it is possible his final sales figures will end up beating theirs whether he gets to no1 or not.

I think we need to start thinking outside the confines of being no1 on debut week which realistically was unlikely to happen as controvesy aside, he is sadly not here to do promo and a few TV ads cannot replace the promo of seeing the artist perform the songs on TV.

If they had replaced the 3 Cascio's songs by Blue Gangsta, Do You Know Where Your Children are and Slave to the Rhythm this album would have better market, stop a blind eye and look at the truth, which is the man with the same voice of a goat who sings on the three fakes, the public love the real Michael, not the bad and ugly impersonator that's all!

Michael has sold VERY poorly in Denmark - less than 5000 copies.

Michael enters at #3 on the official Danish chart.

I had thought that much more than 500 pre-ordered the album i DK. :(

What some fail to understand is that we have NO RIGHT to dictate to his producers and the people who worked with him what to include in an album or not! I think we have misunderstood our roles a bit lately! This is not a voting for the selection of the This Is It concert songs! This is an album whoever likes it he can buy and whoever doesn't he can stay with what he already has! If they were supposed to listen to fans and try to satisfy everyone's wishes we wouldn't have an album in 100 years! We are different personalities with different opinions!

^Thank you, again people need to GET OFF THEIR HIGH HORSE and stop thinking that youn can "boss Sony around". Some of you have gotten exactly what you wanted as "MICHAEL" won't debute at number 1 in many countries (including his own)...however, all this is going to do is 1). Give the media much ammuntion to talk shit (like they've wanted to do from the very begining) 2). Tell Sony that "new MJ" doesn't sell (so they'll most likely scratch the next "new album" project and instead put whatever new songs they had as 1 or 2 bonuses on a re-master or greatest hits project) and 3). Tell the general public that people are either losing interest in MJ (after just 18 months) or that the album must suck (which it doesn't) so they better stay away (which will only cause the album to keep dropping in subsequent weeks).

I can't help but feel sad...I was sooo looking forward to some positive headlines next week (however relunctant on the media's part) talking about how the KING still reigns (even in death and even over hot sellers like subo and TS).

Don't be surprised if they decide not to release another album with unreleased songs but just re releases of the songs we already know and compilations!
We are not worthy of something more...all we do is demand, argue and destroy everything that doesn't live up to our personal expectations!
I'm glad Michael is not here to see what an embarrassment his fans have become!

Yeah, Sony can always blame it on the fans, and on Michael.... That doesn't mean it's not primarly THEIR own fault!

I so agree with you. I certainly don't expect the HIStory type of promotion; but, I would expect something more focus and cohesive.

I went to Best Buy Tuesday night to check out the display. When I entered the store, I saw Despicable Me was placed in the store front. I walked to the music section, still nothing. No specific MJ section. And, the funny thing is that This Is It Blu-ray and DVD are placed more predominently than MICHAEL. The albums are placed next to Taylor Swift. There is no poster, no cut-out board. My heart sank. Bascially, there is no impact.

I don't know about other countries. But, in the States, the only promotion I am aware of so far are the 15 minute segment on Oprah, a quick dance by Ellen on her show and nothing else.

If one hasn't sign up at mj.com, is not MJ's friend on facebook and does not watch daytime TV, how would one know the album exists?

It's still too premature to determine the performance of this album. But, if the album underperforms, it's not due to fan actions. The general public doesn't even know the album exists, let alone say the controversy.
So true, similar thing happened to me the other day, I believe many don't even know there is a new album out with unreleased tracks.

Ok now for sure it is a big flop:
Uk friday update

Albums

1 Take That
2 Rihanna
3 Michael Buble
4 Michael Jackson
5 Olly Murs

Yes this must be Mj's lowest debut in the UK...
BUT it has to be said there are reasons for this:
1) Sony should have released it last Xmas when pucblic interest was higher!
2) Sony should NOT have used 'Breaking News' as the album teaser - the song featured vocals that they KNEW were contraversial and it's just not a very good song anyway. BN kicked up a sh!t storm and the general public won't buy an album if they consider it could be fake.
3) Sony should have had the video filmed and ready to go before the single was released for purchase
4) Xmas is the busiest, most competitive time of year so if they didn't have everything in place to make the campaign perfect they should have delayed the album until March next year.
5) The promo compaign for the album has been very limited in some key areas. AFAIK it's barely been advertised in the UK at all (outside London).

I suggested months ago when the Xmas releases were all being announced that if they couldn't get the album ready in time for November then they would delay it until March next year because the chart positions would be significantly better and as a consequence of that the public perception of the album would be better. This would benefit the MJ legacy. I said 'would' because it made the most sense to me, but Sony decided to go ahead with this release when they weren't ready in an effort to 'maximise' profits, rather than caring about chart positions.

So, what will happen now in many territories across the world is that 'Michael' will not reach No.1 and will be labelled a flop by the media. The public will then consider it a flop. This is already beginning to happen, just as I said it would months ago.
IF Sony delayed the album until March, the competition would be much lower and 'Michael' COULD haved reached No.1 in many countries around the world. Not only that but it would hold high chart positions for longer. The chart positions for 'Hold My Hand' would also have been MUCH better than they have been these last few weeks if it was released in February.
The result would be that the same album and the same single would appear to be more successful due to better chart positions. The media would report it as a success, and therefor the public would consider the album to be a success. This would achieve a stronger long term performance on the charts, even with with lower initial sales figures, because the publics perception of the album would be positive. If the music buying public see an album debut at the top of the chart and hang around for ages, they assume it's good and are more likely to buy it. If they see what they consider to be a low debut and if the media then label the album as a flop, they won't buy it. See what I mean?
Sony took a very short sighted view when deciding to release this album in December (IMO) and now they're paying the price.
IMO they will make another terrible mistake (IMO) if they release Monster as the next single. It is not the strongest song on the album. The vocals are being questionned. Why not release something like Hollwood Tonight first? It's catchy and it's real. Unless Sony can put together some spectacular music video and some appearances by 50 Cent to promote it, releasing 'Monster' is not going to perform well. I doubt they will do either of these things because they didn't do it for HMH.
RANT OVER...

Did I mention Sony? I don't think so....
Sony is responsible for the distribution of the album and the Estate is responsible for the selection of the songs!
Stop with this Sony obsession! We can blame Sony for poor promotion but that's that!

Yes it was me

^Thank you, again people need to GET OFF THEIR HIGH HORSE and stop thinking that youn can "boss Sony around". Some of you have gotten exactly what you wanted as "MICHAEL" won't debute at number 1 in many countries (including his own)...however, all this is going to do is 1). Give the media much ammuntion to talk shit (like they've wanted to do from the very begining) 2). Tell Sony that "new MJ" doesn't sell (so they'll most likely scratch the next "new album" project and instead put whatever new songs they had as 1 or 2 bonuses on a re-master or greatest hits project) and 3). Tell the general public that people are either losing interest in MJ (after just 18 months) or that the album must suck (which it doesn't) so they better stay away (which will only cause the album to keep dropping in subsequent weeks).

I can't help but feel sad...I was sooo looking forward to some positive headlines next week (however relunctant on the media's part) talking about how the KING still reigns (even in death and even over hot sellers like subo and TS).

If Sony had released the album in March as I had suggested previously, you would be getting the 'KING still reigns' headlines, even with lower opening sales figures. I am not a music marketing executive but I have an understanding of sales figures and even I knew that this would happen if the album was released in December. Sony were shortsighted and it was obvious when they announced the released date what was likely to happen.

What some fail to understand is that we have NO RIGHT to dictate to his producers and the people who worked with him what to include in an album or not! I think we have misunderstood our roles a bit lately! This is not a voting for the selection of the This Is It concert songs! This is an album whoever likes it he can buy and whoever doesn't he can stay with what he already has! If they were supposed to listen to fans and try to satisfy everyone's wishes we wouldn't have an album in 100 years! We are different personalities with different opinions!

exactly

actually what's happening now is very similar to what happened when Invincible was released. fans were unhappy about "weak" songs, about "too many ballads" etc. but it was an album created by Michael himself and even that didn't stop people from complaining. So now, when the album is not finished by him but by his representatives, no wonder the complaining multiplied by 100.

This is not a voting for the selection of the This Is It concert songs! This is an album whoever likes it he can buy and whoever doesn't he can stay with what he already has!

And this is exactly what is happening right now...

Bobmoo i dont think that would alter much, you may just see other release again, there is always competition, the only thing is this, Michael sadly has passed, there is noone to promote this album anymore as in THE ARTIST, however after thinking i think michael will continue to sell after the xmas sales. The only thing that could of been done is use actual studio footage of Michael.

T

Yes this must be Mj's lowest debut in the UK...
BUT it has to be said there are reasons for this:
1) Sony should have released it last Xmas when pucblic interest was higher!
2) Sony should NOT have used 'Breaking News' as the album teaser - the song featured vocals that they KNEW were contraversial and it's just not a very good song anyway. BN kicked up a sh!t storm and the general public won't buy an album if they consider it could be fake.
3) Sony should have had the video filmed and ready to go before the single was released for purchase
4) Xmas is the busiest, most competitive time of year so if they didn't have everything in place to make the campaign perfect they should have delayed the album until March next year.
5) The promo compaign for the album has been very limited in some key areas. AFAIK it's barely been advertised in the UK at all (outside London).

I suggested months ago when the Xmas releases were all being announced that if they couldn't get the album ready in time for November then they would delay it until March next year because the chart positions would be significantly better and as a consequence of that the public perception of the album would be better. This would benefit the MJ legacy. I said 'would' because it made the most sense to me, but Sony decided to go ahead with this release when they weren't ready in an effort to 'maximise' profits, rather than caring about chart positions.

So, what will happen now in many territories across the world is that 'Michael' will not reach No.1 and will be labelled a flop by the media. The public will then consider it a flop. This is already beginning to happen, just as I said it would months ago.
IF Sony delayed the album until March, the competition would be much lower and 'Michael' COULD haved reached No.1 in many countries around the world. Not only that but it would hold high chart positions for longer. The chart positions for 'Hold My Hand' would also have been MUCH better than they have been these last few weeks if it was released in February.
The result would be that the same album and the same single would appear to be more successful due to better chart positions. The media would report it as a success, and therefor the public would consider the album to be a success. This would achieve a stronger long term performance on the charts, even with with lower initial sales figures, because the publics perception of the album would be positive. If the music buying public see an album debut at the top of the chart and hang around for ages, they assume it's good and are more likely to buy it. If they see what they consider to be a low debut and if the media then label the album as a flop, they won't buy it. See what I mean?
Sony took a very short sighted view when deciding to release this album in December (IMO) and now they're paying the price.
IMO they will make another terrible mistake (IMO) if they release Monster as the next single. It is not the strongest song on the album. The vocals are being questionned. Why not release something like Hollwood Tonight first? It's catchy and it's real. Unless Sony can put together some spectacular music video and some appearances by 50 Cent to promote it, releasing 'Monster' is not going to perform well. I doubt they will do either of these things because they didn't do it for HMH.
RANT OVER...

Totally agree with everything you wrote.

on Canadian i-tunes as of 7:30am this morning, MICHAEL dropped to #3 , while HMH is at a new high of #14! Monster is at #104

On US i-tunes, MICHAEL has dropped to #4 while HMH is now at #21!

It's time to go buy another copy - UK&US can't so I have to do it in Poland :p

Last edited:
quick quenstion. With the album selling not as much as expected, isn't there a bigger chance their will be more singles? I don't know much about selling tactics, but to sell more, they have to keep the album and the songs longer in circulating so that people keep talking about it right?

Cause it was said there only would be 3 singles (4 max), but know, they may need more....

I still believe upcoming hit singles will affect the sales much.

"MICHAEL" biggest selling album of the week in ITALY

http://www.fimi.it/classifiche_artisti.php

Album
# 1 "Michael"
# 79 "This Is It"

Music DVD
# 1 "Vision"
# 2 "This Is It"
# 12 "live in Bucharest"

"The digital download"
Hold my Hand # 9

:clapping:congrats Italy!!!

MANN!!! I wish it was like that in US, UK and Canada! :( But I still got hope I mean #3 or #4 aint that bad. We're just not used to Michael's album not debut @ #1! thats all! I dont know...I'm kinda down right now with this news and about the "fans" that boycott it! So much for finding Justice for Michael huh?

I'm out! Keep Michaeling... :) Peace out y'all!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

I still believe upcoming hit singles will affect the sales much.

yea, monster will be a HUGE succes: non-fans, michael fans and 50cent fans...
Another day will atracted the fans who love michael screaming and rock
And hollywood tonight will be popular too!

Can someone post the list where these songs are standing on itunes US? I'm curious :D

We are in no way to blame for this, its Sony. I'm not trying to tell them what to do, but they promoted the hell out of the This Is It Soundtrack and Movie. There were posters, displays in most stores and the advert came on every 2 seconds !!
Michael's ad has come on about 3 or four times that I've seen, there are no displays at all. HMV had a tiny little poster, last time the window was full from a huge TII display and inside they had DVD holders and cardboard cutouts. If they don't give it that kind of treatment it won't go to number one, Michael can't do anything to help the sales as he normally would. Sony are messing up not us, we can only do so much, the promo helps to get the casual fans buying the album.

If he is like in TOP5 almost all around, it's definitely not the end of the world. For example Lady Gaga's The Fame debuted in US at #17 and never managed to top the charts there. Still today it's sold I think around 4 million copies in US only. Then in UK it debuted #3 and was like over 2 months in TOP10 and not before that manage to top the charts. Poker Face was released some weeks after the album release. So, big hits can really make it. It's all about hit songs.

Back