Official Charts Thread For ''Michael''

Honestly, what the album needed was different lead single. Unfortunately, MJ apparently wanted HMH to be the lead single. Monster or HT would have led the album to #1.

I agree with that 100%, HMH is a nice song..but I will never understand why they chose it to be a lead single :fear:

Combine that with lackluster promotion, controversy -_-

They chose it because Michael wanted it to be (allegedly). Can't blame Sony for that; and the estate probably demanded it.

They chose it because Michael wanted it to be (allegedly). Can't blame Sony for that; and the estate probably demanded it.

Oh yeah.. well, if Michael were here to have promoted it himself then any song would have worked, but I'm not sure if it was correct to do it in this case in my opinion..

MJ's album "THRILLER" did not debut No.1 anywhere; but, it
has had a very extended life and so will MJ's new album "Michael".
"Word of Mouth" is what is most important in the case of music. :cheeky:

Yeah promotion is phooey.

I so agree with you. I certainly don't expect the HIStory type of promotion; but, I would expect something more focus and cohesive.

I went to Best Buy Tuesday night to check out the display. When I entered the store, I saw Despicable Me was placed in the store front. I walked to the music section, still nothing. No specific MJ section. And, the funny thing is that This Is It Blu-ray and DVD are placed more predominently than MICHAEL. The albums are placed next to Taylor Swift. There is no poster, no cut-out board. My heart sank. Bascially, there is no impact.

I don't know about other countries. But, in the States, the only promotion I am aware of so far are the 15 minute segment on Oprah, a quick dance by Ellen on her show and nothing else.

If one hasn't sign up at mj.com, is not MJ's friend on facebook and does not watch daytime TV, how would one know the album exists?

It's still too premature to determine the performance of this album. But, if the album underperforms, it's not due to fan actions. The general public doesn't even know the album exists, let alone say the controversy.

'Michael' by Michael Jackson tops HMV Canada CD sales chart
The following is HMV Canada's top 10 CDs based on national sales for the week ending Dec. 18.

CDs

1 Michael _ Michael Jackson

2 Glee: The Music: The Christmas Album _ Glee Cast

3 Loud _ Rihanna

4 Doo Wops & Hooligans _ Bruno Mars

5 Speak Now _ Taylor Swift

6 The Gift _ Susan Boyle

7 Glee: The Music: Season Two, Volume 4 _ Glee Cast

8 Greatest Hits _ Bon Jovi

9 Teenage Dream _ Katy Perry

10 The Beginning _ The Black Eyed Peas

http://www.brandonsun.com/entertain...mv-canada-cd-sales-chart-112001949.html?thx=y

The following is HMV Canada's top 10 CDs based on national sales for the week ending Dec. 18.

CDs

3 Loud _ Rihanna

6 The Gift _ Susan Boyle

http://www.brandonsun.com/entertain...mv-canada-cd-sales-chart-112001949.html?thx=y

Great news! Thanks for posting :bowling:

It's good to be optimistic. But, at the same time, we need to be realistic as well.

Thriller happened once in HIStory. It was released when everything in the galaxy is lining up to support it. Most importantly, the creative force behind the album was there to push the album up to the stratosphere.

The birth of MTV, the innovative video of Billie Jean, the exciting dance sequence from Beat It, the Motown 25 performance, the Pepsi accident, the Grammys and of course the iconic short film of Thriller. All these events were not only unprecedented, but magical and exciting. I wish I was 10 years older so I was old enough to truly experience that era.

Today, the situation is completely different. There won't be any live performance. There won't be any groundbreaking shortfilms. And, to be frank, the album MICHAEL is no Thriller.

I'm sad to hear how bad the promotion is in some countries :( I wish they did a better job.

In Finland I think promo has been alright, the ad comes from tv regularly and they've played the video several times too. HMH doesn't get much radioplay but it still might rise to one station's playlist if things go well..

When I went to buy the album, though, there wasn't anything to tell a new MJ album was in store. It was in the front shelf, but that's it.

MICHAEL is now #6 on iTunes (down three spots from yesterday) but HMH has climbed to #13! :)

I haven't got the physcial CD yet. Am still waiting for Amazon to deliver it.

Just wondering whether that hand-written note from Michael asking to have HMH as the lead single included in the booklet?

I know they print some hand-written notes from Michael in the album booklet.

To be honest I'm not sure that's true.

I feel if there was really a note,they would have included it in the cd's liner notes.
It's just one of their cock and bull stories,just like the ''this is it song '' spin.

I haven't got the physcial CD yet. Am still waiting for Amazon to deliver it.

Just wondering whether that hand-written note from Michael asking to have HMH as the lead single included in the booklet?

I know they print some hand-written notes from Michael in the album booklet.
Nope, it's not on the booklet.

I agree, if there really was such a note, they would've put it in there, right?!

sigh* Michael Jackson fans worry about the wrong things.

The album was released Tuesday and usually promotion begins way before albums even come out. I doubt that it will get anymore than what it has already gotten. It has that little commercial, the interview with Oprah and thats about it. I really dont care about this album or how well it charts. The authenticity of the album is fail. Michaels vocals are not on all tracks and he wasnt there for the finishing products.

Honestly, what the album needed was different lead single. Unfortunately, MJ apparently wanted HMH to be the lead single. Monster or HT would have led the album to #1.

Well, I am glad they respected his wishes. I am sure Sony wanted a stronger song, but if MJ wrote that ...I think it was fair to respect his wishes..even though he might have reconsidered had he been here today.

CDs

3 Loud _ Rihanna

6 The Gift _ Susan Boyle

After only 4 days.

Great news.

I went to Best Buy Tuesday night to check out the display. When I entered the store, I saw Despicable Me was placed in the store front. I walked to the music section, still nothing. No specific MJ section. And, the funny thing is that This Is It Blu-ray and DVD are placed more predominently than MICHAEL. The albums are placed next to Taylor Swift. There is no poster, no cut-out board. My heart sank. Bascially, there is no impact.

I don't know about other countries.

This is what Ive seen in Sweden so far.

1) A huge MJ party at the 'hottest' club in Stockholm. There were both fans and what I presumed no-fans there. I mean, it wasnt just a party for fans. It was an ordinary clubnight but the theme was 'Michael'. They had the posters everywhere, played his short films plus played the tracks of the new album.

2) Before the album dropped, there was an ad on tv on best air-time saying the album would drop on Dec 13th. Ive saw that ad several times.

3) Now when the album has dropped, Ive seen the ad that someone posted here a time ago. You know that cool ad where 'everything comes to live'. The ad which informs that the album is out.

4) Well, where I went and bought my album, they had an entire shelf visible with the new album and a huge poster next to it. That was the first thing u saw when you entered the music department. They had put all copies of the new album together.. I went at 2pm and I people had been buying it.

5) I went back next day cus i was sooo curious too see if there were copies left LOL and I didnt see the shelf first .. so I looked everywhere and then I saw that they had actually moved it next to the cashier. I guess to caught everyones attention and just not music-buyers. I saw several ppl stopping buy and looking at it.. it seemed as grandparents bought the cd for their grandkids and so on.

Despite this, the album is #4 on Itunes apprantly here. Sweden is actually very pro-piracy, we do download music ilelgally a lot (Pirate Bay anyone ;)). However, we will get the official numbers tomorrow, should be interesting to see the position.

Last edited:
At my Best Buy the cd's were by a poster that said "long live the king" and a picture of MICHAEL

This is what Ive seen in Sweden so far.

3) Now when the album has dropped, Ive seen the ad that someone posted here a time ago. You know that cool ad where 'everything comes to live'. The ad which informs that the album is out.

I actually saw that ad once in Tuesday morning, around 7:30 am. I was getting ready for work. During the commercial break, the ad played. Hold My Hand was playing, then the announcer said "Michael. The new album available now." I was like why they didn't mention the new album by Michael Jackson, the greatest artist of all time?

But then, I haven't seen the ad during evening prime time hour.

Different era. Back then albums rarely debut at No. 1. Back then, an album trickled out. Now, they come out with a bang and the first week's sales for major artists are typically the best week.

Different era. Back then albums rarely debut at No. 1. Back then, an album trickled out. Now, they come out with a bang and the first week's sales for major artists are typically the best week.
But actually 'Michael' didn't come out with a bang, it has had very little promotion and people don't even know about it. That's why I think the next weeks' sales can be good too. :)

A friend of mine, who is not a fan, has just asked me to give him the album to listen to, because he's been reading about it in my blog and got curious. I decided instead on giving him my copy, I'll buy another one and give it to him as a gift! I was waiting for a chance to get another copy and now I have one! I am so excited :)

At my Best Buy the cd's were by a poster that said "long live the king" and a picture of MICHAEL

that's beautiful..

That doesn't mean they could be out with not a huge bang. And the best week for the first week is just because of that bang. You can promote your album very differently if using some brains is allowed. Imo even minor long-term promotion has always been the best. It's also because if the album climbs up because of the later promotion it's promotion itself. But having #1 just to fall is not actually the best promotion long-term.. If you debut #1 it's just harder to keep it up really.

What are you talking about? It contains only the digital sales, doesn't it?
No, it contains the physical album sales too. The album was officially released in stores already on Friday (actually I bought my copy already on Thursday, I guess they put it on the shelf too early).

But I'm pretty sure the album will be higher on the chart next week because they have started to promote it now. :) The biggest radio channel in Finland (NRJ) is gonna promote the album and play the new songs this weekend and they have contests where people can win the new album. They will play only Michael's music for an hour on Saturday (at 17:00-18:00) and Sunday (at 14:00-15:00)!

(Here is a link to the web radio if someone wants to listen to the broadcast on weekend :) http://nettiradio.nrj.fi/ad.php?play=1)

Back