Official Charts Thread For ''Michael''

Judging for midweek sales looks like it will debut at number 3 in the UK and will hit top 10 in the States according to Billboard. Not number 1 in both these markets sadly.

I find this to be REALLY interesting and worth a read: even with strong worlwide sales MICHAEL looks for new kind of audience.
Here it is

Michael Jackson Cracks Top 10 of Social 50, Peas Hold at No. 1
hatelove

by Silvio Pietroluongo and Keith Caulfield | dicembre 16, 2010 12:20 EST
TwitterFacebookMyspaceDigg

Michael Jackson

The Black Eyed Peas
he Black Eyed Peas become the first act to score multiple weeks at No. 1 on the recently launched Social 50 chart, which ranks the most active artists on the world's leading social networking sites -- MySpace, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and iLike -- using a formula blending weekly additions of friends/fans/followers along with weekly artist page views and weekly song plays. The final ranking also includes a unique metric measuring the ratio of page views to fans.

The Peas were a part of the inaugural MySpace "hijack" promotion on Dec. 9, where artists curate programming on the site, including interactive features and premiere exclusive music and video content. No surprise, then, that the group accumulates the most new MySpace friends for the week.

Rihanna shimmies 3-2 on this week's ranking, swapping spots with Justin Bieber, who drops 2-3. Eminem and Lady Gaga hold at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively. Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj also change places, with the former moving up to No. 6 and the latter dropping to No. 7. Linkin Park leaps 10-8, passing Shakira who holds at No. 9.

The sole new entry into the top 10 is Michael Jackson, who climbs from No. 18 to No. 10. Hype surrounding the December 14 release of his new posthumous album "Michael" stirs spikes for him on all three Social 50 metrics (fans, page views and plays).

Avril Lavigne earns the largest positional jump on the list (34-21), showing increases in fans on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. She also has an increase in page views on the latter two sites, following the Dec. 7 announcement of her new single "What the Hell" and album "Goodbye Lullaby." The former will premiere as a performance on "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest," while the full-length set is due out in March.

The Social 50's top debut goes to the Rolling Stones, who enter at No. 35. A heavy dose of new Facebook fans is the impetus for the charge onto the list, as the legendary rock act posts the second-largest week-to-week percentage increase (up 59%) among acts on the chart for that sector. It's possible the gain is related to the continuing press coverage of founding member Keith Richards' autobiography "Life." Or, could it be owed to Ke$ha fans turned on by her un-Auto-Tuned cover of the Stones' "Dead Flowers," which is making the viral video rounds.

^^ :) you are quick.. i was just about to post that

:D Yay! :clapping:

Hold My Hand is currently #23 on U.S. iTunes :)D wooo~)
The album MICHAEL is still at #2. (Come onnnnnnn D: LOL.)

:) Just saw this on MTV.com by the way...

2rlzy89.png

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I saw the Hold My Hand video last night on the "MTV Hits" TV channel as well... pretty cool. :D

ITunes France
Michael #5
HMH (single) #6

Amazon France
Michael #10

Last edited:
At this point, it’s too close to call for #1 next week as Taylor Swift and Susan Boyle battle it out for the final chart before the holidays. However things play out over the weekend, it looks pretty certain that Sony Music will have five in the Top 6 and six in the Top 10. Here's how it's shaping up headed into the weekend.

Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 225-250k
Susan Boyle (Columbia) 225-250k
*Michael Jackson (Epic) 210-225k
Jackie Evancho (Columbia) 210-225k
*R. Kelly (Jive/JLG) 155-170k
Glee Cast Christmas (Columbia) 155-170k
Kid Rock (Atlantic) 90-100k
Glee Cast Vol. 4 (Columbia) 80-90k
Justin Bieber My Worlds Acoustic (Island/IDJ) 70-80k
Nicki Minaj (YM/Cash Money/Universal Motown) 70-80k
Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ) 70-80k
Justin Bieber My World 2.0 (Island/IDJ) 65-75K
Katy Perry (Capitol/EMI) 65-75k
Rihanna (Def Jam/IDJ) 60-70k
Black Eyed Peas (Interscope) 60-70k
*Diddy Dirty Money (Bad Boy) 60-70k

--

So his chances at #1 are shot in the US. He might not even make the top 3. This is too bad :(

smooth_criminal05;3141390 said:
At this point, it’s too close to call for #1 next week as Taylor Swift and Susan Boyle battle it out for the final chart before the holidays. However things play out over the weekend, it looks pretty certain that Sony Music will have five in the Top 6 and six in the Top 10. Here's how it's shaping up headed into the weekend.

--

So his chances at #1 are shot in the US. He might not even make the top 3. This is too bad :(

It is so Hard to believe it.....

--

What's Sony's strategy now? Did Sony just abandoned MJ's North America markets?

I'm interested to know what's Sony's strategy is. Is Sony expecting a longer life and better staying power? Is Sony trying to build up the momentum gradually?

Sony released two projects recently. However, nothing much has been done to promote the DVD and album.

oh well, maybe folks will buy a lot over the weekend.. At this point though it doesn't matter. MJ is gone, his family doesn't care about his legacy, so what else can we do? I think TOP 3 is good considering record sales stink nowadays and Hold My Hand was not a good single to release first. I didn't like Hold My Hand back in 2008 when I first heard it

this is fucking sad not only may mj miss the top spot but he may miss the 2nd and third spots too?? WTF

I don't mean this in a direspectful way. I just always thought if this album should be #1 it should be in the US. Ofcourse every other country matters too. If it manages to be in the top 3 that is good right? Considering the little promotion I have seen and Michael not here.

At this point, it’s too close to call for #1 next week as Taylor Swift and Susan Boyle battle it out for the final chart before the holidays.

I cant belive that Susan Boyle and Taylor Swift might be doing better than MJ. Thats Insane. Who would thought that??

Chart positions meant a lot for MJ. He liked to be #1 and breaking records.

It would be so sad if he didnt reach #1. Pray pray pray that he will!!

Maybe he will be that next week.. but still.. ughh

Last edited:
#1 and #2 have been on the charts longer though. I think with the last minute Christmas shopping coming up, Michael has a chance to hit no# 1 :angel:

--

Wow, this doesn't look good. I was trying to remain optimistic thinking he'll at least be able to have a #1 album albeit with weaker sales, but it seems he won't even get that. What are Sony thinking?

There's info that the second single Monster will be released on February 14 and if true you have to wonder what's going on with this label? They have to realize that nothing will keep the album on the charts until February considering the weak sales and the fact that HMH isn't doing much on radio. They are just dropping the ball on this project.

I haven't seen any commercials for the album. The family has been all negative. Fans are upset. You have people like Will I am saying he thinks this album coming out is disgusting and arguing with Akon and Teddy Riley. Quincy Jones saying Michael wouldn't want this. Teddy and family members arguing. Lack of promotion. Have I missed anything? In the end this all hurts Michael. The media won't go after anyone but Michael and that's how it always is.

^ Realistically, it has been quite a mess. Not trying to be negative just stating the obvious. Here are a few reasons why:

1) You cannot have success when everyone is divided. The fans are up in arms over the authenticity of the vocals in some songs. Even if the vocals are MJ, the constant controversy has allowed for media to pick it up and as a result most people are questioning the album as a whole.

2) The Jackson family has spoken out against the album which has not helped.

3) Producers are fighting back and forth creating constant drama

4) Low promotion in most parts of the world means many people are not aware of the project

5) A mid-tempo first single that is too safe plus it leaked in 2008 meaning less of a shock factor.

It's a combination of these things in my opinion that has led to lower sales in the US and UK and probably a few other countries.

It's this simple, I wish the "fans" that are NOT supporting this CD will get off of there soap boxes and buy the album. Whatever grudge they have they need to let it go and I know this is far fetched and this might get shot down. I just can't afford to buy any more CD's so what else can we do?

I so badly (Like a lot of you) want to make Michael number one but I don't know what else to do!

^ Realistically, it has been quite a mess. Not trying to be negative just stating the obvious. Here are a few reasons why:

1) You cannot have success when everyone is divided. The fans are up in arms over the authenticity of the vocals in some songs. Even if the vocals are MJ, the constant controversy has allowed for media to pick it up and as a result most people are questioning the album as a whole.

2) The Jackson family has spoken out against the album which has not helped.

3) Producers are fighting back and forth creating constant drama

4) Low promotion in most parts of the world means many people are not aware of the project

5) A mid-tempo first single that is too safe plus it leaked in 2008 meaning less of a shock factor.

It's a combination of these things in my opinion that has led to lower sales in the US and UK and probably a few other countries.

so after all this what happens when mj is number 1 in the us and Uk will there be a shock like he did it or do we expect him to? I am just curious beacuse if mj ships 1 million world wide what do people say?

im absolutely heartbroken that after all this hype and waiting and everything that it wont even be number 1 , and even worst hes gonna loose to taylor swift and susan boyle. my god what has the world come to , this is depressing. they really fu*ked up this album i hate this

^I totally agree. I feel really bad for MJ. Everybody is bickering around, but in the end it's gonna be his image and reputation that will suffer, like it usually is.

I just don't understand this -- initially we got reports from insiders that Sony is planning massive promotion. So what happened with that?

The second single is scheduled for release TOO LATE. Why can't they understand this? It needs to be out now, in the next one or two weeks, if they want this album to have a chance at being successful.

The "Michael" album will benefit greatly by "Word of Mouth".
It is just that damn good. :cheeky:

I feel bad for Michael. He doesn't deserve all this drama and negativity. He had enough of it when he was here.

im absolutely heartbroken that after all this hype and waiting and everything that it wont even be number 1 , and even worst hes gonna loose to taylor swift and susan boyle. my god what has the world come to , this is depressing. they really fu*ked up this album i hate this

Same here :(
I've been saying this since the very beginning - the only person the boycotting and the bickering will hurt is Michael...why don't people understand that? The media is going to have a field day saying that MJ struggled to get above artists like Boyle and Swift.. Gahhh, everything's so messed up :doh:

how could these boycotting fans ruin michaels legacy like that

i hope you guys are happy, you really messed up the name "michael jackson". and you call yourself mj fans?
disgusting people , honestly disgusting. F*CK THE BOYCOTTING FANS , F*CK SONY FOR ABSOLUTION NO PROMOTION , AND FU*K ALL THE PEOPLE WHOM EVEN AFTER DEATH , DISRESPECTED THE KING BY REJECTING THIS PROJECT, AND BASICALLY SPAT ON HIS GRAVE. If t that was your mission to ruin an otherwise amazing album congratulations. i hope they will release the proof of the vocals one of these days and you will truly be ashamed of yourselves ,and at that point i recommend you FOREVER resign as a Michael Jackson fan.

It will suck if he dosen't atleast debut at #1 (albeit with "weaker" sales) so I'm still holding out hope...the weekend is just around the corner and I for one will buy another copy when I get paid tomorrow. There is just no freaking way that taylor swift or susan boyle (both of whom have albums that have been out for a while now) will beat the KING OF POP. It's crazy...

Back