Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

Pace,MioDolceCuore, I'm sorry, I won't argue about this. Especially because you at least partly base what you are saying on wrong assumptions. Austria (and it's not the only country with a law against nuclear power plants or without nuclear power plants) doesn't have nuclear power plants, not because it wants to appear squeaky clean, but because people didn't want it. Which led to the law against nuclear power, not just any kind of law, a constitutional law. I posted about this a couple of pages back.

Only 30 countries in the world have nuclear power plants.

Different kinds of power plants are bad for the environment on different levels, but no other kind is as deadly as nuclear power plants.

Japanska Röda Korset
Röda Korset i Japan kunde tack vare sin goda beredskap snabbt kunde vara ute bland de drabbade och ge Första hjälpen och sjukvård, psykosocialt stöd, leverera nödhjälpsmaterial till drabbade områden. Man delar också ut mat från lager (bröd, ris, nudlar) liksom latriner och drivmedel till lampor/värme/matlagning. Hittills har man delat ut ungefär 25 000 filtar och ytterligare 25 000 filtar är på väg till drabbade områden för utdelning där.

För de yngsta patienterna, som kan vara extra sårbara, behövs särskild omsorg.

Japanska Röda Korset är mycket väl rustat för katastrofarbete och genomför regebundna övningar med jordbävningsscenario till exempel. Föreningen har stor erfarenhet av insatser; bara sedan år 2000 har man varit involverade i flera jordbävnings-, översvämnings- och vulkaninsatser, flygplans- och tåg-krascher och industriella katastrofer som gasexplosioner. Japanska Röda Korset har därför ständigt pågående verksamhet som inkluderar medicinsk service, blodhantering, lager och distribution av nödhjälp.
•Japanska Röda Korset har som en del av sin beredskap ständigt 488 katastrofteam redo över hela i landet, team som består av 6844 medicinskt utbildade personal. Varje team består av 6 personer och omfattar läkare, sjuksköterskor och administratörer.
•Redan inom 10 minuter efter jordbävningen mobiliserade man 62 av dessa katastrofteam, de team som befann sig i de drabbade områdena, och under lördagen utökades styrkan till totalt 86 katastrofteam, med sammanlagt 670 läkare och sjuksköterskor. Teamen av personal roterar med några dagars mellanrum. Teamen möter människor som nästan drunknat, fått i sig havsvatten i lungor och nu riskerar att få lunginflammation. De får även ta hand om många brännskador liksom rökskador. Många är även chockskadade och i stort behov av psykosocialt stöd. Utmaningen består nu i att hålla kontakten med alla de team som sänts ut.
•Röda Korsets helikopterteam blev snabbt efter jordbävningen inkallat och kunde evakuera människor från hustak och även bidra med att transportera medicin och mat till sjukhus.
•Japans Röda Kors har 2 369 sjuksköterskor som fått särskild utbildning i psykosocialt stöd. Behovet av detta är mycket stort efter katastrofen.
•Japanska Röda Korset har över 2 miljoner registrerade frivilligarbetare, och många av dem har utbildats särskilt för sitt frivilliguppdrag. De frivilliga tar nu aktiv del i hjälparbetet. De delar ut nödhjälp, lagar mat åt de som tvingats lämna sina hem, röjer upp efter flodvågen, och hjälper till med att transportera patienter i behov av vård.
•Röda Korsets internationella efterforskningssystem Family links, som hjälper familjemedlemmar som kommit ifrån varandra vid en katastrof att söka efter varandra, är igångsatt för de drabbade i Japan.

MIST, can you translate?

If THIS is not a wakeup call about nuclear energy, then there will never be one. I find no problem with any country mothballing nuclear power plants. It has to start somewhere. I'd assume that would be along with a fast-track to development of alternative energies. Solar and geothermal are SAFE. As I said, we have to start somewhere. . . .

In the U.S., president Obama already allocated billions of dollars for new construction of nuclear power plants. I truly hope that now, the money is allocated to safe-guarding the ones we have, and fast-tracking alternative energies.

If this isn't a wake-up call, then. . I guess it will never happen. . . . Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. . .

That could have been US, in the United States.
Many of our reactors are of the same type, and quite a few are in earthquake zones, and are no better designed/protected than the Japanese reactors. And therefore? Plus, some are on the California coast, in the zone of the San Andreas fault. They are not designed to withstand the maximum earthquake for that region, and it's not a matter of "if," but "when."

And you know WHAT? Maybe we'll just have to learn to get along with LESS? Personally, I'd accept rolling blackouts if it meant the beginning of a shift away from nuclear power, until the safe alternatives can be developed.

Last edited:
Autumn II I completely agree with your post. We should look at this as a warning and a opportunity to get it right. Or next time it will be us and we will have missed this chance we have been givin.

If one positive can be found out of this tragedy wouldn't it be wonderful if this was it?

Hi everyone,

I just got back from work, here is the info I was able to gather :

1st, about the explosion this morning in reactor 3 :

from the Irsn press release last night (they released it at 11 pm CET, sunday evening, before the explosion) :

Fukushima reactor number 3: Water is maintained, Tepco has depressurised the shell this morning as they said they would, but they did it after the beginning of the core meltdown. This has caused the release of radioactive material , but no explosion as feared.

personal note : so they had to release the pressure twice in less than 24h.

I went through their first press release (Sunday, 7 am)
(in French) http://www.irsn.fr/FR/Actualites_pr...RSN_Seisme-Japon_Point-situation-13032011.pdf

I noticed 2 things in this 1 st press release :

They said TEPCO confirmed a partial meltdown in reactor 1

They explain that the need for depressurisation is related to the heat within the reactor (it sounds logical...).
So whenever they need to depressurize , or release steam, one of the possible reason is the cooling is not effcient enough.

The IRSN is a public (government) agency. Here is a link where they explain who they are (in English) : http://www.irsn.fr/EN/Presentation/about_us/Pages/Who_are_we.aspx

I think they are very reliable, and as a government agency, I noticed that they were the only ones who confirmed a partial meltdown in both reactors. Other official reports always said it was "likely", or "possible'.

From the IAEA (united nations, they have seemed to be relaying what the Japanese authorities have been saying. I heard reports that Japan asked for the help of IAEA experts today. So maybe they will start to relay their own info later on)

http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

Japanese Earthquake Update (14 March, 15:35 CET)

Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant

Japanese authorities have reported to the IAEA that Fukushima Daiichi Unit 2 has experienced decreasing coolant levels in the reactor core. Officials have begun to inject sea water into the reactor to maintain cooling of the reactor core.

Sea water injections into Units 1 and 3 were interrupted yesterday due to a low level in a sea water supply reservoir, but sea water injections have now been restored at both units.

Evacuation Status

On 12 March, the Japanese Prime Minister ordered the evacuation of residents living within 10 kilometres of the Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant and within 20 kilometres of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) has reported that about 185,000 residents had been evacuated from the towns listed below as of 13 March, 17:00 (JST).
they give the number of persons evacuated, city by city.

Tepco press releases
:

About reactor 3 explosion :
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031403-e.html
Press Release (Mar 14,2011)
White smoke around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 3 (2nd release)

At approximately 11:01am, an explosive sound followed by white smoke
occurred at the reactor building of the Unit 3. It was believed to be a
hydrogen explosion.

According to the parameter, it is estimated that the reactor containment
vessel remains intact. However, the status of the plant and the impact of
radioactive materials to the outside environment are presently under
investigation. (previously announced)

As of 12:00 am, 4 TEPCO employees and 2 workers of related companies have
sustained injuries (all of them are conscious) and ambulances are on
their way to care for them.

As of 11:44 am, the measured value of radiation dose near MP6 is 20?Sv/h
and the radiation level remains stable.

bouee;3293947 said:
Just a quote from the IRSN press release last night, about the radioactivity level after the explosion in reactor 1 saturday, for those who will want to compare : the measure at the fukushima site was 1mSv/h, it was 0,040 mSv/h 12 hours later, the normal measure would be 0,0001 mSv/h.

TEPCO continues to take all measures to restore the safety and security
of the site and are monitoring the site's immediate surroundings.

about reactor 2
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031403-e.html
Press Release (Mar 14,2011)
Occurrence of a Specific Incident (Failure of reactor cooling function) Stipulated in Article 15, Clause 1 of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency Preparedness

At 2:46PM on March 11th 2011, the turbines and reactors of Fukushima
Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 1 (Boiling Water Reactor, rated output
460 Megawatts) and Units 2 and 3 (Boiling Water Reactor, Rated Output 784
Megawatts) that had been operating at rated power automatically shutdown
due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake.
(previously announced)

In response, water injection into Unit 2's reactor were being carried out
by the Reactor Core Isolation Cooling System. However, as the Reactor Core
Isolation Cooling System failed today, it was determined that a specific
incident (failure of reactor cooling function) stipulated in article 15,
clause 1 has occurred at 1:25 pm today.

The worst news today comes from Masashi Goto, one of the designers of the steel cupola which protects the reactors. He fears that his design is not strong enough and that it will break down. In that case, it is guaranteed that history will repeat itself and Japan will become Tsjernobyl.

Goto spoke with the BBC. He told them also that the constructions are not devised for a heavy earthquake or tsunami and that they cannot resist the damage it will bring along.

Very important also, is the confession Goto made. He claims that company Toshiba knew this.

Goto says that he fears that the explosions of the housing of the reactors 1 (Saturday) and 3 (last night) have caused damage to the steel housing of the reactors.

If the meltdown takes place - and the spokesman of the Japanese government has admitted that this is " highly likely" - then this will lead to an enormous explosion.

The reactors use mox-fuel, instead of conventional fuel, and because of that, the point of melting will be reached much sooner.

Should a meltdown and an explosion occur, plutonium could be spread over an area up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion" , Goto told the BBC.

here is a link from the BBC about what Mr Goto said :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/9423880.stm It starts at 15 48

and another link, from the BBC article : http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-20042852-76.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

From Kyodo news

Tepco suspects a partial meltdown in reactor nr 2, besed on radiation levels around the site.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77969.html

Work resumes to pump seawater into troubled nuclear reactor unit: TEPCO

TOKYO, March 15, Kyodo

Work resumed early Tuesday morning to inject seawater into a troubled reactor unit at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in a bid to prevent overheating of fuel rods, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

As of 3 a.m., pressure inside the pressure container of the reactor dropped and seawater is believed to be pumped in, but it has not been confirmed that water levels have risen, TEPCO said.

The No. 2 reactor automatically shut down after a massive earthquake that hit the region on Friday. Its reactor cooling function was lost on Monday and water levels rapidly dropped, exposing fuel rods for around two and a half hours from 6:30 p.m.

Seawater was injected and water levels were increased temporarily but started dropped to fully expose them again late Monday night.

Pressure inside the container that houses the rods increased after the container's steam vents were closed for some reason, preventing seawater injection, it said.

At 1:10 a.m. Tuesday, TEPCO opened some steam valves and resumed work to pump seawater and is considering opening more valves, according to the company.

With radiation levels around the facility risen, TEPCO is suspecting the reactor cores have partially melted, a critical nuclear safety situation.

==Kyodo

There was not much about this on the news today, I just heard an expert and Anne Lauvergeon, CEO of Areva (sort of french Tepco)

one of them said (I don't remember who, sorry, I'm really tired), said that Tepco is working in really difficult conditions.
Tepco is desperately trying to maintain an acceptable temperature within the reactors, and need to restore a correct power supply and sufficiant coolant supply to restore a reliable cooling system.

The expert was very upset about the lack of information about the radioactivity level , and the type of radioactivity (level, nature, distance from the ground )

I have connectionproblems and thought the MJJCtranslation would work

Red cross in Japan was well equipped,they have been practice regularly for earthquakes and other catastrophes.Since 2000 they have been helping in several catastrophes.
They have 488 catastropheteams in Japan with 6844 medical educated persons.
There are 6 persons in 1 team ,doctors,nurses and administators.
10 minutes after the earthquake 62 teams were mobilized,on the saturday they were 86 teams
2369 nurses are special trained in psychosocial support
2 million volunteers are in the register
Japanese red cross have 92 hospitals,oneof them,Hiroshima,works with persons with radiaton injury.
They have a special team ready in the hospital Nagasaki for patients with radiation injury

But Japan need more help and many countries want to help

Autumn II I completely agree with your post. We should look at this as a warning and a opportunity to get it right. Or next time it will be us and we will have missed this chance we have been givin.

If one positive can be found out of this tragedy wouldn't it be wonderful if this was it?

I hope so too...

I'm just :angel:

I just saw this banner on Greenpeace website, I just wanted to post it here : http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

qbee;3289090 said:
A wise Man once said

"Look, we don’t have control over the grounds, they can shake.

We don’t have control over the seas, they can have tsunamis.

We don’t have control over the skies, there are storms.

We’re all in God’s hands. I think that man has to take that into consideration."
~ Michael Jackson

WOW

Please pray <3 for all who are effected by these disasters.

my thoughts are there with them

Re: Tsunami -- MJJC fans support thread

ALL EYES ON JAPAN!

alleyesonjapan.jpg

Japan...this is for you

I was heartbroken about Japan, I love the country, I love the people, I love everything about Japan I even love them when the love Michael. My mom told me her cousin is in Tokyo for military.

Thank you so much about that link.

You're welcome. The link is news, live-stream, from Japan. Translation in English. There was a news conference by TEPCO officials. They began by apologizing. That's a start, but too late. Little accurate information is coming out now, about the scope of the radiation leak, but apparently it was much more than the venting of radioactive steam. The prevailing wind is toward Tokyo.

If anyone has a better news site than what we have in the U.S., please post it? Hopefully, at least some will be translated into English? Anyone know what the BBC is saying now?

:(

I was thinking... Here in MJJC should have many Japanese fans and other fans who live in Japan. (?) :scratch: Someone gave news? :unsure: I hope everyone is ok. :pray:

I'm very happy that the Japanese community in my country (in my city, there are a large number of Japanese immigrants) will send help to Japan, I knew today. They opened a bank account so that people can help ($$$) and I'll make my donation. My prayers for Japan. :angel: :pray:

:cry: *big sigh*

My prayers for Japan, too. My best effort in that regard, being sent continuously.

To staff on MJJC? Should we start a Japanese fan check-in thread? Not sure if they can check in, though. Communications are majorly disrupted over there.

To staff on MJJC? Should we start a Japanese fan check-in thread?
Well, I think this should be done. Michael has thousands of fans in Japan (and other fans who live there) and certainly a lot of them are part of MJJC. :thinking:

Not sure if they can check in, though. Communications are majorly disrupted over there.

Yes, I forgot that big detail. :(

My prayers for Japan, too. My best effort in that regard, being sent continuously.

To staff on MJJC? Should we start a Japanese fan check-in thread? Not sure if they can check in, though. Communications are majorly disrupted over there.
that is a good idea...and ONLY Japanese fans should post in it...it shouldn't become a comment thread for everyone.??

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Courier New"; }@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Wingdings"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { color: purple; text-decoration: underline; }p { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }span.hide { }p.i1, li.i1, div.i1 { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }span.dateline { }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }ol { margin-bottom: 0in; }ul { margin-bottom: 0in; }</style> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066534

BREAKING NEWS

SOMA, Japan &#8212; Radiation is spewing from damaged reactors at a crippled nuclear power plant in tsunami-ravaged northeastern Japan in a dramatic escalation of the 4-day-old catastrophe. The prime minister has warned residents to stay inside or risk getting radiation sickness.

In a nationally televised statement, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said radiation has spread from the three reactors of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in one of the hardest-hit provinces in Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami. He told people living within 12 miles (20 kilometers) of the plant to evacuate and those within 19 miles (30 kilometers) to stay indoors.

"The level seems very high, and there is still a very high risk of more radiation coming out," Kan said.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said early Tuesday that a fourth reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex was on fire and that more radiation was released, but officials announced later in the day that the fire was extinguished.

"Now we are talking about levels that can damage human health. These are readings taken near the area where we believe the releases are happening. Far away, the levels should be lower," Edano said.

A third explosion in four days rocked the earthquake-damaged plant earlier Tuesday.

Two sources told NBC News' Robert Bazell that the blast breached the containment structure and that radiation had leaked out.

The agency said the explosion may have damaged the reactor's suppression chamber, a water-filled tube at the bottom of the container that surrounds the nuclear core, said agency spokesman, Shinji Kinjo. He said that chamber is part of the container wall.
The suppression chamber is used to turn steam back into water to cool the reactor and also plays a role in removing radioactive particles from the steam.

Radiation levels measured at the front gate of the Dai-ichi plant spiked following Tuesday's explosion, Kinjo said.

Michaels' earth song sure does tell the whole story.:(

Yes - you're right. I often think about MJ's message especially his earth song in this days.:angel:

It's a nightmare:sad:. I stay praying for the ppl. of Japan.:angel: I can't imagine what this people are going through.:no:

This is a catastrophe, such as none of us have seen, in our lifetimes. I'm not sure if we all realize that yet? This is not ONLY about the Japanese people, but all of us?

Michael was SO right. . ..

There was also a fire in reactor 4. The fire was probably started by a hydrogen explosion in reactor 4.

From the BBC website :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12740843
In his televised address, Prime Minister Kan said: "There is still a very high risk of more radiation coming out."

He added that the last remaining people within a 20km (12 mile) exclusion zone around the plant had to leave, and that those living between 20km and 30km from the site should remain indoors.

Radiation levels around Fukushima for one hour's exposure rose to eight times the legal limit for exposure in one year, said the plant's operator, the Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco).

The radiation reading at 0831 local time (2331 GMT) climbed to 8,217 microsieverts an hour from 1,941 about 40 minutes earlier, Tepco said. The annual legal limit is 1,000 microsieverts.

Japan's PM says there is a 'very high' risk of further radiation leaks

A fire which briefly broke out at the plant's reactor 4 on Tuesday is also believed to have led to radioactive leaks.

Higher radiation levels were recorded on Tuesday south of Fukushima, Kyodo news agency reported.

Levels in Tokyo were higher than normal, but officials said there were no health dangers.

From a French (itélé) news channel :

Radioaoctivity at Fukushima was at one point 400 times superior to normal.

Employees at tha Fukushima plant had to be evacuated (they didn't say if they were able to return)

The wind is going south, towards Tokyo, and it's going to rain.

I'm not feeling well today, so I probably won't be online much.

This is a catastrophe, such as none of us have seen, in our lifetimes. I'm not sure if we all realize that yet?

Nobody has seen anything like this in any lifetime. Who had this insane idea to invent and build nuclear power plants?

that is a good idea...and ONLY Japanese fans should post in it...it shouldn't become a comment thread for everyone.??

Yes, please. And they shouldn't have to speak English in it either, if they don't want to.

The wind is going south, towards Tokyo, and it's going to rain.

I'm so sorry, I really didn't want to be right about Tokyo. I didn't.

I don't know what to say, trying to catch up with the news now.

Back