Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

signed.

I introduce one of my favourite japanese song " Ue wo muite arukou"

Thank you, ukutan! That's beautiful. But remember - you are not alone and Japan is not alone.

Hi Milka,
I read it again, they said "rising" , slowly rising. ???

That's strange, with power being restored, I would think the temperature is falling? Wasn't that the purpose? Maybe it's a typo.

ukutan;3303972 said:
signed.

I introduce one of my favourite japanese song " Ue wo muite arukou"

上を向いて歩こう
日本詞の意を英訳したもの(歌詞ではありません)
Translation for meaning of Japanese Lyrics.

上を向いて 歩こう
涙が こぼれないように
思い出す春の日 一人ぽっちの夜

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Remembering those happy spring days
But tonight I'm all alone

上を向いて歩こう
にじんだ 星をかぞえて
思い出す夏の日 一人ぽっちの夜

I look up when I walk
Counting the stars with tearful eyes
Remembering those happy summer days
But tonight I'm all alone

幸せは 雲の上に
幸せは 空の上に

上を向いて 歩こう
涙が こぼれないように
泣きながら歩く 一人ぽっちの夜

(口笛・・・・・・)

Happiness lies beyond the clouds
Happiness lies above the sky

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow
For tonight I'm all alone

(whistling)

思い出す秋の日 一人ぽっちの夜

悲しみは 星のかげに
悲しみは 月のかげに

上を向いて 歩こう
涙が こぼれないように
泣きながら歩く 一人ぽっちの夜

Remembering those happy autumn days

Sadness hides in the shadow of the stars
Sadness lurks in the shadow of the moon

I look up when I walk
So the tears won't fall
Though my heart is filled with sorrow

一人ぽっちの夜
一人ぽっちの夜

source http://www.fujiura.com/fgod/songs/zsukiyaki.htm

please watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtXQ31F1A-k

sukiyaki song
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukiyaki_(song)
It´s a beautiful song.
The song is wellknown to me but I´ve never known the lyrics before.
We look at the same sky, only different parts of it.

The situation in Libya is extremely serious, but it's eclipsed news about the Japanese nuclear crisis. It's hard to know at this point which information is current.

The link http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm to Japanese live-stream tv seems to be a series of conflicting reports, and mostly follows the TEPCO/corporate party-line, which is to "save face" and minimize the risk. There have been news conferences with TEPCO officials, the gist of which is usually, "We don't KNOW." At one point they said, "We are pouring water in, but it's not 'staying.'" Which leads one to think that this is a "colander effect," where the containment is so damaged that the water pours out/evaporates and the level of water is not raised? Late last night/early morning (my nightmares prevented much sleep, actually), I heard that "pressure is rising in Reactor Three," and then -- "we will have to vent gas and that will raise the radioactivity a hundred-fold." A HUNDRED-FOLD? And then the news shifted to people picking through the rubble looking for the bodies of loved ones.

I've heard that "it's perfectly safe to eat the food/drink the milk," and also, "spinach and milk from around the plants (how FAR?) are contaminated." I've heard that cesium and radioactive iodine have been detected in Tokyo drinking water, but "levels are perfectly safe," but that they have never before been detected in the drinking water.

The British have handed out potassium iodide to all of their nationals in Japan. Just as a "precaution." Right.

What we are seeing is an extreme example of corporate spin, and we still have very little in terms of genuine information.

Here is a link to a beautiful Japanese folk song. I hope it gives a little peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chwADnoFDng

I've heard that "it's perfectly safe to eat the food/drink the milk," and also, "spinach and milk from around the plants (how FAR?) are contaminated." I've heard that cesium and radioactive iodine have been detected in Tokyo drinking water, but "levels are perfectly safe," but that they have never before been detected in the drinking water.

You know, this reminds me of this one Simpsons episode (Homer works at a nuclear power plant) with the family sitting around the table eating a fish with 3 eyes. Telling people that it's all perfectly safe equals openly playing with their lives. Even if it seems to be ... whatever happened to "better safe than sorry"?

Edit: A headline (derstandard.at) says that a grandmother and her grandchild were rescued from the debris of her house after 9 days. No mention of that in the article though, just the headline.

Last edited:
Traces of radioactivity in the tap water of 9 prefactures. In Tochigi and Gunma they found radioactive iodine and cesium. In Saitama, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, Niigata and Yamanashi they found radioactive iodine.

In the area around Fukushima I the danger for people that didn't leave is still increasing. The government told people in the village Iitate not to drink tap water anymore. They found 965 becquerel iodine per liter, the limit is 300.

"Delivery ban" on milk and several vegetables for prefactures Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi and Gunma. Tepco might pay the farmers compensation.

WHO is very worried about the contaminated food.

Near Hitachi, 100 km south of Fukushima, they found 54,000 becquerel of iodine 131 and 1,931 cesium per kg spinach. The limit in Japan is 2,000 becquerel for iodine and 500 becquerel for cesium.

Rain around Fukushima and Tokyo. Wind direction will turn towards the ocean again on Wednesday.

(orf.at)

The news of the crisis/war in Libya has eclipsed the news of Japan, at least in the U.S. However, the emergencies in Japan continue, and we should keep this thread bumped for current news and good wishes for the Japanese people, and also for social action opportunities in terms of petitions. It's not that the Japanese emergency WENT AWAY, but maybe the attention spans of the viewing public are short? The firepower unleashed over Libya is more visually compelling than the suffering of, mostly elderly, people in shelters in Japan. . shelters that have inadequate food, water, or warmth?

The crisis in Libya is IMPORTANT, but let's remember Japan?

There is little news news coming out of Japan today, except that smoke is rising over two of the six reactors. The zones where radioactivity is being found in food products. . are expanding. Apparently, the radioactivity is not only from direct exposure (fallout in region of origin), but also transportation of products through those areas.

The problems with the nuclear reactors have NOT been solved, and the situation is ongoing. The reconstruction Japan will face is incredible. Not only is there damage to factories and office buildings, and a diminished power supply, but also a loss of confidence, globally, in Japanese products. That especially applies to food products, but other products, as well. The Japanese economy has taken a hit that is only now, a little bit, being understood. Their own food production is affected, as are their exports. There remain over half-a-million homeless people! We must continue to hold the Japanese people in our hearts, and help, as possible.

This is a statement Michael Jackson issued after the tsunami disaster that hit Indonesia and other countries in December 2004. Michael is not here anymore to express himself about the recent disaster in Japan, but I’m sure he would have said the same thing to the Japanese people and the world.

My family and I would like to send our prayers and heartfelt sympathy to the families, friends and loved ones of those who recently perished from the horrific earthquake and tsunami, which swept through Indonesia, Asia, India, Somalia and other countries.

Our love is also being sent to those who have miraculously survived this tragedy and to those who are so courageously on-site, helping to spearhead the relief efforts. We pray for your strength, your safety and the success of your life-saving missions of love.
Words cannot adequately express the shock, horror and grief we’ve felt, while watching news reports which have captured the massive devastation and despair. It has been especially painful for me, as I have visited these areas many times and I remember the love, kindness and warmth of the people I met there.

I would like to encourage all of my friends, and fans, to contribute to agencies and organizations assisting in these efforts. In times like these, we need each other… we must bond together in spirit and in service.

God Bless.

Sincerely,
Michael Jackson
@MJJNews http://mjjnews.tumblr.com/post/3816994554/this-is-a-statement-michael-jackson-issued-after

claudiadoina;3305747 said:
This is a statement Michael Jackson issued after the tsunami disaster that hit Indonesia and other countries in December 2004. Michael is not here anymore to express himself about the recent disaster in Japan, but I’m sure he would have said the same thing to the Japanese people and the world.

My family and I would like to send our prayers and heartfelt sympathy to the families, friends and loved ones of those who recently perished from the horrific earthquake and tsunami, which swept through Indonesia, Asia, India, Somalia and other countries.

Our love is also being sent to those who have miraculously survived this tragedy and to those who are so courageously on-site, helping to spearhead the relief efforts. We pray for your strength, your safety and the success of your life-saving missions of love.
Words cannot adequately express the shock, horror and grief we’ve felt, while watching news reports which have captured the massive devastation and despair. It has been especially painful for me, as I have visited these areas many times and I remember the love, kindness and warmth of the people I met there.

I would like to encourage all of my friends, and fans, to contribute to agencies and organizations assisting in these efforts. In times like these, we need each other… we must bond together in spirit and in service.

God Bless.

Sincerely,
Michael Jackson
@MJJNews http://mjjnews.tumblr.com/post/3816994554/this-is-a-statement-michael-jackson-issued-after

That's beautiful! Thanks for posting.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/21/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=C1

Tokyo (CNN) -- Smoke spewed Monday from two adjacent reactors in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a nuclear safety official said, setbacks that came despite fervent efforts to prevent the further release of radioactive materials at the stricken facility.

After 6 p.m., white smoke was seen emanating from the facility's No. 2 reactor, according to Hidehiko Nishiyama, an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency. About two hours earlier, workers were evacuated from the area around the No. 3 reactor after gray smoke began to rise from the wreckage of its steel-and-concrete housing, which was blown apart by a hydrogen explosion last week.

The No. 3 reactor has been the top priority for authorities trying to contain damage to the plant and stave off a possible meltdown. Its fuel includes a small percentage of plutonium mixed with the uranium in its fuel rods, which experts say could cause more harm than regular uranium fuels in the event of a meltdown.

Nishiyama said there was no evident explosion, spike in radiation or injuries at the No. 3 reactor. The smoke was coming from the building's southeastern side, where the reactor's spent nuclear fuel pool is located, but the origin of the smoke at either reactor was unknown.

The coolant pools contain spent fuel rods that still generate high amounts of heat, and authorities have been working to keep them full to prevent the rods from being exposed. NISA estimated that, between roughly 9 p.m. Sunday to 4 a.m. Monday, 1,170 tons of water were sprayed on the reactor and its fuel pool.
In Geneva, Switzerland, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency warned that while signs of improvement at the site are evident, the plant "has been seriously damaged by flood water and is littered with debris."

"The crisis has still not been resolved, and the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant remains very serious," Yukiya Amano, the director-general of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, told its board of governors Monday after a visit to the site.

"Buildings have been damaged by explosions," he said. "There has, for the most part, been no electric power. Radiation levels are elevated. It is no exaggeration to describe the work of the emergency teams as heroic."

On the other hand, Amano told reporters, rising pressure inside the containment unit at reactor No. 3, a concern from the weekend, was down and power had been restored to some of the reactors.

The plant's owner, the Tokyo Electric Power Company, has been working to restore electricity to the damaged plant after it was hit by the massive earthquake and tsunami the struck northern Japan on March 11. TEPCO told CNN on Monday that electrical cables had been laid to connect the No. 3 reactor and the neighboring No. 4 reactor with an outside power source.

That meant that power could now be funneled to all six of the plant's reactors for its cooling systems. But electricity was still not moving to units No. 1 through No. 4, because the quake and tsunami had damaged numerous pumps and other gear.

A Tokyo Electric official said that spare parts were being brought in, so that everything could work again.

The disaster has killed more than 8,600 people and left more than 13,000 missing, many of them killed as a wall of water rushed in following the quake. Ever since, authorities have been working to avert further crisis -- and prevent more deaths -- at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, some 240 kilometers (150 miles) north of Tokyo.

Those efforts include the possibility of encasing one or more of the reactors in concrete, a last-ditch effort similar to what was done after the 1986 meltdown at the Chernobyl nuclear plant in the former Soviet Union -- considered the worst nuclear disaster at a plant.

NISA said Monday that it expected to conduct tests on what it called a "concrete pump engine," which the agency initially said would pump a mix of mortar and water into the No. 4 reactor's spent nuclear fuel pool and containment vessel, the agency said.

But Tokyo Electric said later that the device would be used only to pour water, not the mortar mixture.

In just over two hours on Monday morning alone, 13 fire engines sprayed about 90 tons of water toward that reactor in an attempt to cool it down.

A Tokyo electric official told CNN that six workers trying to restore electricity to that reactor have been exposed to more than 100 millisieverts of radiation. For reference, an individual in a developed country naturally is exposed to 3 millisieverts of radiation a year -- though Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare has reset the exposure level upward to 250 millisieverts for those trying to combat the crisis at the Fukushima plant. That is 2.5 times the previous limit, according to the ministry.

These efforts came as concerns remained high about the impact that already emitted radiation has had on food, water and people within range of the Fukushima facility.

Very small amounts -- far below the level of concern -- of radioactive iodine have been detected in tap water in Tokyo and most prefectures near the plant. The health ministry said levels of radioactive iodine three times greater than the regulated standard were found in drinking water in a village near the plant and asked residents not to drink from the tap, Kyodo News reported Sunday.

The Japanese government has banned the sale of raw milk from Fukushima Prefecture, where the plant is located, and prohibited the sale of spinach from neighboring Ibaraki Prefecture after finding levels of radioactive iodine and cesium higher than government standards, the country's health ministry reported. And officials in Fukushima halted the distribution of locally grown vegetables outside the prefecture.
Edano said the contaminated milk detected in Fukushima Prefecture had not been distributed or sold.

On Saturday, officials said tainted milk was found 30 kilometers (about 18 miles) from the plant, and spinach was collected as far as 100 kilometers (62 miles) to the south, almost halfway to Tokyo. That prompted a statement of concern from the World Health Organization, which said early Monday that the spread of contamination was "more serious" than initially expected.

"It's new and something we're watching," WHO spokesman Peter Cordingley told CNN. But he said the reported levels of radioactivity posed no short-term health risk, and Japanese officials were taking a "very precautionary" stance.

"Nobody is seeing that there's an immediate health problem," Cordingley said.
The latest results accumulated and posted online by Japan's Education, Science and Technology Ministry showed slight but notable upticks in airborne radiation readings around Japan in recent days. But even the highest readings -- .11 millisieverts some 30 kilometers northwest of the plant -- were still considered significantly below what's considered dangerous to humans.

Nevertheless, the USS George Washington pulled out of its port in Yokosuka, about 28 miles (45 kilometers) south of Tokyo, "as a precaution," according to a posting on the ship's Facebook page. The ship will remain off the coast of Japan, the posting said. The U.S. Navy previously repositioned the USS Ronald Reagan after radiation detectors found minute traces of contamination on sailors and equipment.
Nature has helped to minimize airborne exposure since the quake, as winds from the northwest have blown many emissions from the plant out to sea. But the wind direction is expected to change through Wednesday, potentially pushing more of the material to the southwest and over land.

"People are watching," said Akira Shioi, who lives in Kawasaki. "And people have greater concern than ever about the nuclear power plant incident."

The level of radioactive cesium in the sea water near Fukushima I is 24.8 times higher than before the disaster. The level of radioactive iodine is 126.7 times higher. But they say it's still too soon to worry about the consequences for the fishery. (derstandard.at via Kyodo)

It's too soon to worry about that? Are they kidding?

Spiegel Online:

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,752148,00.html

It's in German and would be too much for me to translate and I also have a bad headache, so maybe someone can find a link in English. It says that Tepco botched inspections. There is a report from March 2, 2011 (yes, just days before the earthquake) that says there is a delay in the inspections. Among other things the parts that were not inspected are important parts of the cooling systems and the spent fuel storage pools. All in all, 33 parts have not been inspected. 2 other things not inspected are an engine and an emergency power generator in block 1 (reactor 1). Failure of the emergency power generators is the reason for the disaster.

it is very sad that their food supply and drinking water is being tainted..this is very troublesome...they may not see the effects of the radioactivity now..but they will in the future. I still dont think we are getting the full truth about these levels that are being released into the atmosphere.

):.... How long will this planet last...? I think not so much... People saying these disasters have happened before doesn't help, because how much is enough/more than enough...?

can't say anything too concrete at the moment... large-scale unfortunate events like that can make one speechless ....

Temperature rising in reactor 1. Tepco says that's a reason to be worried. (orf.at)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12815906

The World Health Organisation says the food contamination in Japan is 'more serious' than first expected. This comes after concerns that the radioactive particles have contaminated food and water supplies.

Japan has already stopped the sale of raw milk and spinach from areas near the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The contamination of food and drink are putting even more pressure on a nation which has been struggling to control the troubled nuclear plant damaged by the earthquake and tsunami on 11 March.

Asia Business Report's Mariko Oi in Tokyo, explains how the radioactive contamination issue will affect Japan's farming sector.

Video at link.

Edit:
1297928921756.jpg

(derstandard.at)

Last edited:
http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

Everybody that I see in my city (80km from reactors) is wearing masks. They are all fearful of radiation exposure. My English school has lost half the number of students because most of them have evacuated to Southern Japan.
comment by mac edited by Reuters: Mark Kolmar at 3/22/2011 10:48:24 AM11:48

I'm feeling pretty lonely in here today ...

Reactor 3 is always described as very dangerous because of its plutonium rods. Plutonium forms as a "breeding product" (???) in all reactors, says Andreas Musilek (Austrian Atomic Institute), in reactor 3 there is just a little bit more of it. Reactor 3 is not more dangerous than the other reactors.
(derstandard.at)

Plutonium is not only radioactive, but also highly toxic.

Tschernobyl today, a ghost city:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpoVzAArUN0

Hi Milka,

no you're not alone ! I have been busy, and so I haven't been able to post much, and I'm tired so I'm not sure I'm going to post much tonight !

There haven't been many updates... The IRSN posted something this morning , they don't seem to have much new info.

Reactor nr 3 is the most dangerous, due to the mix uranium plutonium, they suspect the shell is damaged, and its spent fuel pool doesn't have a roof over it, and they suspect a leak in this pool, that makes it harder to maintain the level of water in it.

IRSN has estimated the contamination of the air until today, they estimate it's about 10% of the Chernobyl pollution.
For those who can understand it , their chart is here : (in french, but I don't think it really matters )http://www.irsn.fr/FR/Actualites_presse/Actualites/Documents/NI-terme-source-22032011-tableau.pdf

thank you for all the updates milka....it is devastating to hear the stories and see the pictures. I will continue to pray for Japan.

From the CNN Live Blog:

[1:30 a.m. ET Wednesday, 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] Tokyo government officials said Wednesday that radioactive material exceeding legal limits for infants was detected in tap water.

Tap water tests revealed higher levels of radioactive iodine than government standards, officials told reporters. They advised residents living in the area to stop giving tap water to infants.

Nuclear power plants without containment - if (or when?) something happens in one of them, the cooling system has a little hiccup, there is nothing between the radioactivity and the environment, nothing to hold back radiation.

akwsohnecontainment.png

The blue area in the middle is Austria (Wien = Vienna). The red plants are the ones without containment.

Please sign the petition, it particularly mentions nuclear power plants without containment.

Thinking about Japan every day... very very depressing this world is, it takes to have some steel in you to survive it....

Hello Sakura I hope you are okay, remember we met in Japan? I hope you are okay, really people from Japan don´t deserve this :( My prays for you!

Back