Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

I think the latest info from IRSN doesn't sound too bad, compared to what we've heard so far.

At least there is water in all used pools.

From other news reports :

It reported that the power could be restored tomorrow, and hopefully the cooling system could start to work again. Has anyone else heard that ?

200 military arrived at the plant to help.

It´s nice to see that animals are getting help too. In my opinion those cats on the cat island needed help years ago.

From other news reports :

It reported that the power could be restored tomorrow, and hopefully the cooling system could start to work again. Has anyone else heard that ?

Not sure about tomorrow, but on orf.at it says that they installed a high voltage cable leading to reactor 2, but it's not operating yet. And that Tepco warns that the water pumps still might not start up. And in an area of the power plant with lower radioactivity, they want to activate a provisional power unit. Doesn't say when though. It's crazy, those things produce electricity, but you need electricity to run them and for the cooling system, so if in an emergency situation they stop working and you run out of electricity you are just a blink away from a meltdown. Now that's insane technology. :doh:

but on orf.at it says that they installed a high voltage cable leading to reactor 2, but it's not operating yet.

There was an interview of an IRSN guy on the news a few minutes ago, he said that too. He hopes they can start cooling reactor 2 tomorrow.

. It's crazy, those things produce electricity, but you need electricity to run them and for the cooling system, so if in an emergency situation they stop working and you run out of electricity you are just a blink away from a meltdown. Now that's insane technology. :doh:
Totally agree.

Yes, (from a dog lover)

I realize this is an off topic post, so please forgive me.

I'm a dog lover too. Sadly, my dog went to heaven 2 weeks ago
cry.gif

So sorry, Webbie, losing a pet is like losing a family member ...

Here is a video shot from a helicopter:

http://iptv.orf.at/stories/2048143/

And President Obama just said that the American nuclear power plants are SAFE. Now doesn't that make us feel happy?

So sorry, Webbie, losing a pet is like losing a family member ...

Here is a video shot from a helicopter:

http://iptv.orf.at/stories/2048143/

And President Obama just said that the American nuclear power plants are SAFE. Now doesn't that make us feel happy?

Webbie, I'm so sorry about your dog. Yes, it's like losing a family member.

Well then, I'm SO happy to hear that American nuclear power plants are safe! (not) Many plants are of the same design as the ones at Daiichi; some are built on coasts, in earthquake zones. And therefore????

Well then, I'm SO happy to hear that American nuclear power plants are safe! (not) Many plants are of the same design as the ones at Daiichi; some are built on coasts, in earthquake zones. And therefore????

They are safe! Just like all the other ones in Japan are safe too. Just this one wasn't. Scratch that, Fukushima never actually happened:

http://www.folkkampanjen.se/danielsson1979.html#english

(yes, that article again, if I had a printer, I'd print it and frame it and put it on my wall)

Irsn has done simulations of their estimation of radioactive contamination :
http://www.irsn.fr/FR/Actualites_pr...simulation_dispersion_panache_radioactif.aspx

Caesium-137 :

Chernobyl : 100 000 Bq/m
Belarus/Ukraine after Chernobyl : 100 to 1000 Bq/m3
http://www.irsn.fr/FR/popup/Pages/animation_dispersion_rejets_17mars.aspx

Iodine-131- on a whole body

average annual dose received in France : 3,7 mSv
under 10 mSv, no protection is needed
from 10 mSv : you need to stay indoors
from 50 mSv : you need to evacuate the area
http://www.irsn.fr/FR/popup/Pages/animation_doses_corps_entiers_17mars.aspx

Iodine-131- on a thyroid gland

in Japan, iodine pills are recommended at 100 mSv
http://www.irsn.fr/FR/popup/Pages/animation_doses_corps_thyroide_17mars.aspx

Last edited:
Dudie;3299038 said:
Yesterday i decided to stop watching NHK World and CNN which I have been doing most of the day the past few days. I just couldn't take it anymore.. I feel so sad and terrible for the people there and on top of that there is no news yet wether my trip to Japan next month is gonna be cancelled or not and I'm so scared to go. It even gives me sleepless nights.

There are so many stories which all say different things... specially with those reactors..one says to not worry coz everything is under control and the other says we have to worry coz it can explode anytime which will be a total disaster with the radioactive stuff. etc. etc.

I keep on praying for Japan, thats all I can do.. I wish I could do more to help people there though.

Me too. :( I'm avoiding watching tv. For me it is unbearable to see all this tragedy and see so many people suffering. :cry: It is very sad what is happening. I'll keep praying for Japan. :angel: :pray:

Autumn II;3299103 said:

Thanks! :)

Milka;3299728 said:

Thanks! :)

Webbie;3299729 said:

Rescue workers pull a small dog from rubble in the wake of Japan's earthquake and tsunami. Photo: Associated Press.

And this is from the Conscious Cat website:

The scale of the devastation in Japan is horrifying, and as rescue organizations from around the world rally to assist the recovery efforts, our thoughts and prayers go out to the people and animals affected by the earthquake and tsunami.

The organizations below specifically help with animal rescue efforts in the affected areas.

World Vets is a non-government organization (NGO) providing veterinary aid around the globe in collaboration with animal advocacy groups, foreign governments, US and foreign military groups and veterinary professionals abroad. They are getting supplies and a first responder team ready to deploy to Japan.

March 15 update: World Vets is also accepting donations of veterinary supplies and medications at their Fargo, ND headquarters.

The American Humane Association’s Red Star Animal Emergency Services Team is monitoring the situation closely and is reaching out to its international partners in order to provide a joint response to this global emergency.

The National Disaster Search Dog Foundation has deployed search and rescue teams to Japan.

The Animal Refuge Kansai is an organization in Kansai, Japan, that is preparing for a huge influx of animals from the disaster areas.

Japan Cat Network, together with Heart Tokushima and Animal Friends Niigata has formed Japan Animal Rescue and Support. They are providing frequent updates of rescue efforts on their Facebook page.

March 15 update: they’ve posted a wish list of items for in country donations, but ask that you contact them before shipping anything from overseas.

Please note that the donation links for the organizations in Japan take you to the Japanese language version of PayPal. Once you enter the amount of your donation in Japanese yen (4000 yen is roughly $50 US), and enter your PayPal login information, it takes you to an English PayPal page and you can complete the donation.

The Animal Miracle Network Foundation is collecting cell phones to send to volunteers helping animals in Japan.

As we’re mourning the loss of life with Japan’s citizens, and praying for those who’ve lost so much, cat lovers around the world are also wondering about the fate of the cats of Japan’s Cat Island.

Sadly, it is believed that the island became fully submerged during the tsunami.

March 13 update: see Paula’s comments below for the latest on Cat Island.

March 14 update: the NASA photo Paula referenced in her comment, and additional updates on the Pet Captain’s blog.

March 15 update: Yet another hopeful update about Cat Island on The Cat’s Meow from Betty: “My brother’s wife is Japanese and she knows a girl whose parents live in the Cat Island and they were able to get in touch with them. They said that the island sank around 30 centimeters in the water and there was some damage to property, but cats and people are ok! They need help, of course, but the Island is still there.”

:heart:

I really admire all these people who are saving other lives. I'm very happy that the animals were not forgotten.

Webbie;3299825 said:
Dogs... They're more reliable then (some) humans...

Yes... :heart:

You can make free cell-phones to Japan
Make free cell phone calls to Japan
By Rosa Golijan
Updated March 15, 7:45 p.m. EST:
AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, T-Mobile and Sprint are helping out individuals who are trying to reach Japan-based friends and family in the aftermath of the recent earthquake by providing free calling to the country.
AT&T is offering "billing relief" for its customers on calls made to Japan between March 11 and March 31.
This means that postpaid wireless customers will not be charged for international calls made to Japan from the United States or Puerto Rico — or for text messages to Japan which originate from a U.S. wireless number.
AT&T customers who have residential wireline service through the service provider are also eligible for billing relief:
Upon receiving their wireline bill, customers may call AT&T to receive adjusted calling for up to 60 minutes. In other words, no charges for up to 60 minutes of call time from the United States to Japan between March 11 and March 31.
Verizon has announced that it will be offering a similar deal to its own customers.
Verizon Wireless' postpaid customers will receive free calling to Japan from March 11 through April 10. During that time U.S.-based Verizon Wireless customers will also receive free text and multimedia messaging to Japan.
Verizon customers who have residential wireline service through the carrier will receive a similar offer:
All calls made from a Verizon residential landline to Japan will be rated at $0.00 per minute, from March 11 through April 10. Customers with Verizon World Plan (300, 500 or unlimited minutes of long-distance calling) can call Japan without using any minutes from their time-allotment blocks.
And there's more:
Additionally, Verizon Prepaid Phone Card charges for all long-distance calls placed to Japan from the United States will also be waived from March 11 until April 10
The company is also providing FiOS TV customers who are not subscribed to the channel free access to TV Japan through March 17. The channel location is 1770.
Later today, Comcast and T-Mobile USA also announced they are providing free calls to Japan.
Comcast said calls will be free for its Xfinity Voice and Business Class Voice customers. For calls made to Japan by customers during the timeframe from March 11 through April 10, Comcast will remove these charges from customers’ bills. Credits and waived fees will be automatic, as no action is required by customers. Comcast will cover fees for calls made to both landline and mobile phones. Comcast’s subscriber terms and conditions otherwise apply.
T-Mobile said in a statement that, effective immediately:
T-Mobile USA is enabling phone calls to Japan for postpaid customers without charges for international long distance through March 31, and retroactive to March 11.
Postpaid customers can make Wi-Fi calls to and from Japan free of charge through March 31, and retroactive to March 11.
Text (SMS) messaging is also free of charge to and from Japan for postpaid customers through March 31 and retroactive to March 11.

source:
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/14/6266703-make-free-cell-phone-calls-to-japan

noirnoar, I read that a few days ago as well, that all big cell phone providers in Austria offer free calls to Japan.

Tokio asked Germany for robots for the worst case that workers have to leave because of high radioactivity. They don't even have those robots? Germany's authority for civil defense and disaster relief (loosely translated, can't find a translation on the net, it's the "BBK") says Germany has them at their nuclear power plants.

Robots were used in Tschernobyl as well, European engineers have developed robots that can climb up walls. The USA says it might take weeks before the situation is under control.

From derstandard.at (via Reuters):

Tepco considered publicly for the first time to bury the power plant in sand and concrete. Tepco said Friday it's not impossible to cover the reactors with concrete. That's what was done in Tschernobyl. For now they are still trying to cool the reactors. Japanese engineers said it might be the only way to avoid a catastrophic spreading of radioactivity.

Last edited:
noirnoar, I read that a few days ago as well, that all big cell phone providers in Austria offer free calls to Japan.

Tokio asked Germany for robots for the worst case that workers have to leave because of high radioactivity. They don't even have those robots? Germany's authority for civil defense and disaster relief (loosely translated, can't find a translation on the net, it's the "BBK") says Germany has them at their nuclear power plants.

Robots were used in Tschernobyl as well, European engineers have developed robots that can climb up walls. The USA says it might take weeks before the situation is under control.

From derstandard.at (via Reuters):

Tepco considered publicly for the first time to bury the power plant in sand and concrete. Tepco said Friday it's not impossible to cover the reactors with concrete. That's what was done in Tschernobyl. For now they are still trying to cool the reactors. Japanese engineers said it might be the only way to avoid a catastrophic spreading of radioactivity.

Nothing is impossible, but it is not feasible to cover reactors with concrete as we speak, and right now they have to do something. Chernobyl demographic, and accident is a bit different than with Japan. Japan endured several earthquakes, sever casualties, tsunami, several reactors explosion, plus the snowing within a week or so.
Back to the topic: cooling of reactors needs to be done as soon as possible. I know that pumps needs electricity, like from the diesel generators, to run, but if that doesn't work, they should have asked from Korea or China to get electricity, and not wait to get things on their own. This is my opinion, it is easy to watch and preach, though. I respect Japanese people, they do respect chain of commands. but I think they need to be informed. Believe or not, some do dismiss, western news, regard the matter. They believe that western is blowing things out of proportion.

Back to the topic: cooling of reactors needs to be done as soon as possible. I know that pumps needs electricity, like from the diesel generators, to run, but if that doesn't work, they should have asked from Korea or China to get electricity, and not wait to get things on their own.

I don't think the problem is that they don't have electricity, they just don't have a way to get the electricity to the pumps, probably due to damage of generators, etc. That's how I understand it anyway.

I posted about how heat capacity of the rods decreases about 2 to 3 % per day, but I think that's during a controlled shut down of a reactor. Which makes cooling it a little bit easier from day to day. But I'm not sure if that's true for this situation, when the cooling gets interrupted and the rods probably heat up again. That's probably why there is partial meltdown in at least some of the reactors.

I just wish they would tell us the truth and would have asked for help sooner, like with the robots. Took them a week to ask for them. I'm also wondering what happened to the Russian team of experts (Tschernobyl veterans) that were denied entry into Japan a few days ago. Didn't hear anything about that, I guess they are still waiting to be asked for help. The rumor was that Japan denied them entry because they don't want to give them insight into their reactors. I'm also still wondering what they are trying to hide. The rumor makes sense to me, because wouldn't you want to have experts there that already dealt with a nuclear emergency and hopefully learned from it?

There is a Global 2000 petition on the net for the shut down of all nuclear power plants in Europe until 2020. And some other stuff. Right now I'm trying to find out if this petition is only for Austria (text is in German) and/or if there are similar petitions for other countries. Try Google for now?

When I first looked at that page, there were 17,001 signatures. That was about 20 minutes ago. Now it's 17,181, a couple more with every reload.

The petition gives a couple of examples for nuclear power plants without a containment:

Mochovce, Bohunice/Slovakia, Dukovany/Czech Republic, Paks/Hungary.

All 3 very close to Austria and especially Vienna. That's insane! Trying to find a list of all nuclear power plants without containment.

Edit: 17,253 signatures now.

Edit II:
The Japanese government apparently doesn't allow Tepco to remove the workers from Fukushima, according to the newspaper Mainichi Shimbun. Tepco expressed concern for the safety of their workers on Monday. Tepco said they came to the conclusion that it will be "difficult" to control the reactors after the explosions and fires. Prime Minister Naoto Kan declined the request to remove the workers. "A withdrawal is impossible", said Kan. "It's not about if Tepco collapses, it's about whether Japan collapses", was his answer according to the report. An anonymous representative of Tepco told the newspaper that this means that the workers are supposed to expose themselves to the radiation and "die".

(derstandard.at)

That's from last MONDAY. So I guess they knew on Monday that the workers are in severe danger, but they are not allowed to leave.

Last edited:
I have great respect for the Japanese people and the dignified way they have been handling this crisis. However, it's clear that Tepco officials have been lying, and continue to do so. The just raised the severity of this crisis to a "level five," same as Three Mile Island, when it is clearly much worse in terms of amount of radioactivity released. Plus, TMI was one reactor, and at Fukushima, there are SIX.

This is not only a national crisis for the Japanese, but a global crisis and should be handled as such, including timely and accurate information.

I'm not sure why they aren't dropping the sandbags and concrete already? A technical reason? Now that seawater has been pumped in, clearly these reactors will never function again.

Yet another real-life history page of disinformation on behalf of the government(s).. nothing too surprising.... ):

What wonderful, humble and strong people Japanese are.. through all this hell, and the survivors still haven't lost their inner beauty, but are even more beautiful .. I couldn't possibly imagine the horrendous hell they're living in....

Can you post the link to that petition, please?.. I can't find it on the net. Thank you..>

Hi Alma! I didn't post the link because I wasn't sure if it is just an "Austrian" petition. So I emailed Global 2000 and wasn't home for a few hours. A nice lady from Global 2000 emailed me back in the meantime, she said people from other countries can sign their petition as well, BUT they are already working on a site in English, it will probably be online this afternoon or evening (they are quick!). It's 4.30 pm now over here. If you don't speak German, I'd wait for the English petition, people should know what they sign, that's some advice for all occasions in life. So if you speak German, this is the link for the Global 2000 petition in German:

http://atomausstieg.at/

The English site that they are working on and that should be online in the next hours is this one:

http://www.shutdownnukes.org/

Just check it again in a couple of hours, I'll do the same and keep you people updated.

Last edited:
I can't possibly translate the entire chat, but there was an online chat with a "risk scientist" (???? in English, no idea, sorry for literal translation) on derstandard.at, this is what he said about the workers at Fukushima:

"Although probably everything that is possible for their safety is done, these people, that one can only call heros, won't survive for long and deserve our highest sympathy and greatest respect."

Hi Alma! I didn't post the link because I wasn't sure if it is just an "Austrian" petition. So I emailed Global 2000 and wasn't home for a few hours. A nice lady from Global 2000 emailed me back in the meantime, she said people from other countries can sign their petition as well, BUT they are already working on a site in English, it will probably be online this afternoon or evening (they are quick!). It's 4.30 pm now over here. If you don't speak German, I'd wait for the English petition, people should know what they sign, that's some advice for all occasions in life. So if you speak German, this is the link for the Global 2000 petition in German:

http://atomausstieg.at/

The English site that they are working on and that should be online in the next hours is this one:

http://www.shutdownnukes.org/

Just check it again in a couple of hours, I'll do the same and keep you people updated.

Thank you, Milka... The German site is saying their domain's not active, so I think I'll wait for the English version.. will try again later, maybe there's a lot of traffic. Thanks again.

Thank you, Milka... The German site is saying their domain's not active, so I think I'll wait for the English version.. will try again later, maybe there's a lot of traffic. Thanks again.

Oh, it worked when I posted my other post ... Maybe it's too much traffic. I doubt they'd just take it offline. Let's hope they get both to work again soon.

IFAW are not in Japan saving animals yet because it isn´t safe, but I think their message about why it´s so important to go there and rescue animals(when there fr example are animals who need help in our homecountries)is worth to read.

"IFAW has responded to many disasters, including the Haiti earthquake, the Southeast Asia tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, the Kobe (Japan) earthquake in 1995, and many others. And two themes often come through: One, that animals play a critical role in the emotional and economic recovery of the impacted areas...and two, that the human survivors are extremely grateful that we are there rescuing and caring for the animals -- it often gives the survivors their first glimmer of hope amid the despair."

In this world we are depending on other countries.
We need small things they are doing in Japan to use in our industries and we´ll be affected about nuclear power and countries want to do all they can to help Japan -to protect themselves.
But we can´t expect something from the animals and when we help them it´s just for the love.

English petition still not online yet.

Are there any real new news? Other than little details that don't give you the whole picture?

Back