Original vs Remix

I love the demo for 'Love Never Felt So Good' but I must admit the addition of a disco beat in the remix was a good one!

I like all of these better than the album versions:

Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson - Say Say Say (Special Version) this is the original 1983 remix by Jellybean Benitez
Jackson 5 - Hum Along And Dance (15 minute version)
The Jacksons - Torture (12" Dance Mix)
The Jacksons & Mick Jagger - State Of Shock (12" Dance Mix)
You Can't Win (Part 1 & 2)
Billie Jean (12" Version)
Smooth Criminal (Extended Dance Mix)
Smooth Criminal (Annie Mix)
Bad (Dance Extended Mix "False Fade")
In The Closet (KI's 12")
Who Is It (IHS Mix)
Remember The Time (E-Smoove's Late Nite Mix)
2 Bad (Refugee Camp Mix)
You Are Not Alone (jon B. Padapella)
This Time Around (Dallas Main Mix)
One More Chance (Paul Oakenfold Mix)
Some of these aren’t ”remixes”, are they? If we are to include uncut or 12" mixes, then I too prefer a lot of them to their shorter album counterparts.

DYKWYCA 2010 is unbeatable. that guitar! everytime i hear the intro i have to turn the volume to the max.

That neff u mix of HT is very good, I just listened to it. So was this guitar part originally meant to be in the song or it something added post 2009?

Some of these aren’t ”remixes”, are they? If we are to include uncut or 12" mixes, then I too prefer a lot of them to their shorter album counterparts.
A remix doesn't mean a track has totally different music. I have lots of remix singles by many artists and in general the music is like the original song. If you listen to early disco era remixes by somebody like Tom Moulton, they are like the album/single mix but he extends the instrumental parts because he was given the original multitracks. In some cases like Bell Biv DeVoe or Mariah Carey, they often record different vocals for the remixes. This is Hard Day by George Michael. The 1st video is the original album mix, the 2nd is the Shep Pettibone Mix. You can tell they're the same song from the beginning.
In this case with The Boss Mix of Mariah's Fantasy, if you haven't heard the remix before and only knew the album version, you wouldn't know what it was. But you could with the Puff Daddy remix with ODB.

There was one really crazy electro remix of Bad I used to listen to. Have never found it again. The early 2010s was an amazing time for YouTube. The MJ videos were just unparalleled in how good they were. Total crap now.

A remix doesn't mean a track has totally different music. I have lots of remix singles by many artists and in general the music is like the original song. If you listen to early disco era remixes by somebody like Tom Moulton, they are like the album/single mix but he extends the instrumental parts because he was given the original multitracks. In some cases like Bell Biv DeVoe or Mariah Carey, they often record different vocals for the remixes. This is Hard Day by George Michael. The 1st video is the original album mix, the 2nd is the Shep Pettibone Mix. You can tell they're the same song from the beginning.
In this case with The Boss Mix of Mariah's Fantasy, if you haven't heard the remix before and only knew the album version, you wouldn't know what it was. But you could with the Puff Daddy remix with ODB.
Okay, then, my terminology must be wrong! I’ve always thought about a remix as an original song but with its instruments swapped out. You know, like those abominations you find on Blood on the Dance Floor after the fifth track.

My favorite remixes would probably have to be the ones Teddy did for RTT (in the single), refugees camp mix of BOTDF, all the single mixes from the SC single, and of course, Scream Louder.
I also love They Don't Care About Us Charles Full Joint Mix.
I like a whoole lot more but those are the ones that come to mind when i think of good MJ remixes.

Okay, then, my terminology must be wrong! I’ve always thought about a remix as an original song but with its instruments swapped out. You know, like those abominations you find on Blood on the Dance Floor after the fifth track.
Those are remixes too, but remixes aren't only that. The ones on that album are mostly house remixes, which are gonna have different music unless the track was already a house music song. Sometimes a remix is exactly like the album version, but the difference is that on a 12" maxi single the bass might be pumped up for the clubs or a person with a "boomin' system" in their cars. You probably won't notice this unless you have a good quality stereo system and/or speakers. It would just sound like the album version. But if you played them back to back, the version on the album might sound flat or thin compared to the maxi single. Maxi singles often have several mixes, a dub mix is usually mostly instrumental. This is different from a reggae dub.

@Hot_Street do you think that “one more chance“ mix you posted is made from the multitracks? I like it though I have mixed feeling about the chorus.

I've always preferred the Nero remix of Speed Demon. I can't listen to the original anymore, it sounds so dull.
I don't prefer it but I like it just as much. If Bad was made today, and came out today, it'd probably sound like this. The melodies are timeless. Meanwhile I still enjoy the 80s sound.

You should listen to the speed Demon demo. It's a lot rawer and funkier.

“Hollywood Tonight,” “Behind the Mask,” either mix of “Love Never Felt So Good,” “Chicago,” “A Place with No Name,” the Bieber mix of “Slave to the Rhythm,” and the leaked version of “Do You Know Where Your Children Are” are the only versions I care to listen to. The demos/originals just don’t do it for me.

Shout out to the album remixes of “Loving You” and “Slave to the Rhythm” though. So well done.
then why are you in the mjj community

I prefer the Tony Moran mix of History to the original. Probably because I heard Blood on the dancefloor before I heard History so the original always felt slow to me.

Also I prefer the single version of Black or White to album and sometimes the Civille and Cole House guitar mix.

Hey, just realized something… UNCUT versions of songs – those could hardly be regarded as remixes! If anything, then, it is the shortened album version that is the remix. That is, of course, given that they truly are uncut, and not just named that way for one reason or another. The Lady in My Life ought to be a good example of this, as well as many (most?) of the Bad tracks (disregarding, for this thought exercise, the actual mixing differences between the album and single versions).

Agree about your other points, though. It makes sense. I guess I have associated the word ‘remix’ specifically with house ones because of Michael’s singles in the 1990’s and 2000’s, as well as the remixes found on Blood on the Dance Floor.

By the way, in regards to simple edits, where a song has been shortened simply by cutting out a section or by adding an early fade – I’m not inclined to call those remixes, either. For it to be a proper remix something must have been altered in regards to the MIX, even if that is as subtle as muting a few horn blasts on a chorus or adding a tambourine hit in every other bar.

For it to be a proper remix something must have been altered in regards to the MIX, even if that is as subtle as muting a few horn blasts on a chorus or adding a tambourine hit in every other bar.
Nothing has to be added or removed for a track to be a remix. Like I mentioned earlier, on a 12" single sometimes just the bass is pumped up, but otherwise is identical. It's not longer or shorter. If you don't have a higher quality stereo system & speakers (like would be in a club), you won't notice any difference from the original mix. These aren't usualy labeled as a remix on the record, probably because of that reason. A short version of a longer album version is not a remix, it's called an edit or a 7" version.

Some older artists (before the disco era) recorded & released different versions of a song. James Brown & B.B. King often did this, sometimes releasing them under different titles. There's also The Beatles' Revolution 1 and the single version Revolution. There's an unrelated Revolution 9 too. There's 2 slightly different versions of their song And I Love Her. There's also a difference between the mono & stereo versions of Helter Skelter. The mono version is shorter and just fades out, but the stereo version fades back in and has Ringo shouting "I have blisters on my fingers!" at the end. Back then, the mono was the main mix of records and the stereo was the alternate. Stereo was just getting started during that period and some early stereo mixes has what was called "fake stereo". It's easy to spot, usually the vocals are on one speaker and the instruments on the other.

In more recent years, some remastered albums have been remixed too and are different from the originals. Not a remix as in a dance version though. This has been done with Genesis & Beatles albums. There's an Ozzy Osbourne album where Sharon Osbourne had the bass guitar parts replaced years later because she had some kind of feud with the bassist on the original album. This is also considered a remix. A lot of Ozzy fans did not like that Sharon did that. I think the original version of the album is out of print because of Sharon.

Not everything is a remix.
😄

Nothing has to be added or removed for a track to be a remix. Like I mentioned earlier, on a 12" single sometimes just the bass is pumped up, but otherwise is identical. It's not longer or shorter. If you don't have a higher quality stereo system & speakers (like would be in a club), you won't notice any difference from the original mix. These aren't usualy labeled as a remix on the record, probably because of that reason. A short version of a longer album version is not a remix, it's called an edit or a 7" version.

[…]
That’s what I’m getting at. If you “pump the bass up”, you have altered the mix, and therefore I agree it’s proper to call it a remix.

Good to know that I was right about edits, too.

It's gotta be said, the LNFSG xscape version is amazing. They painted on this blank canvas, and don't think I would have ever imagining coming up with that from the original demo. And, don't shoot me, but kinda like the JT one too, but that pains me to say that lol 😂

And, don't shoot me, but kinda like the JT one too, but that pains me to say that lol
The duet version sounds great in every way, except for JT. Only he could go from "The Prince of Pop" to a complete no name in literally 10 years.

And, hopefully this isn't going off topic too much, but I found this:

Is that the best list of song versions with descriptions, times, or is there a better one out there?

Back