P.Y.T.- Why did he never perform it live??

eXceLOfFam1

Proud Member
Like the heading says, why did he never perform P.Y.T. live? it is a greatly popular song and I can imagine it being performed. It came on my ipod today and I was just like wow this song makes me want to dance and it just has so much energy, I can really see MJ doing a great performance of it. I havent heard of any specific reasons as to why it never happened, and to my knowledge it never did. discuss.

thats what im saying too @michaeljacksonsprincess it would have been amazing, imagine a dance routine for that little breakdown where he starts talking at the end !

I always wanted him to perform this live. I remember when the Bad tour started and I was hoping to see him perform this plus 'Baby Be Mine' and 'Lady In My Life' on stage but it was not to be. The latter two weren't released as singles so it's understandable that he wouldn't have performed them live but PYT was a decent hit on the radio here in the states. Then again, he had to try to cram a lot of hits into the Bad tour and PYT just didn't make the cut. But then again, he could've performed it during the Victory tour....but they had to fit in some Jermaine stuff as well. Too bad all in all as PYT live undoubtedly would have been awesome.

I don't really know. But that would be one heck of a performance I'd love to see!

I agree...it is such a great song to dance to. The audience would have been totally up on their feet moving and wiggling and jumping.

Maybe he only permitted X amount of songs to be performed that were not written by himself...and there were other more popular songs than that one to fill that quota, like Human Nature or Man in the Mirror or Rock with You or Thriller, etc... I have no real idea, of course, but I, too, love that song. So I hear ya. :)

I dont believe you have to pay royalties to anyone for performing a song, lady gaga could perform billie jean tomorrow and not have to pay the estate a dime, but i think heartbreak hotel could have been omitted and replaced by pyt, that coulda worked

^what? The Estate can sue her if she doesnt pay royalties. Cant they guys?
There are SO many songs that should've been performed. Its pretty a shame other genius songs, or to say it bluntly ''less known'' songs never got the chance to shine. Like BOTDF, wasnt it performed like once? Or Baby Be Mine? They may be not songs where youll break loose and dance but so was SIOOML..

Um, no.
Anyone can do a cover of anything in a live show.
If a person would put out a live dvd/cd, then yes, they'd need to get permission, etc.

^what? The Estate can sue her if she doesnt pay royalties. Cant they guys?
There are SO many songs that should've been performed. Its pretty a shame other genius songs, or to say it bluntly ''less known'' songs never got the chance to shine. Like BOTDF, wasnt it performed like once? Or Baby Be Mine? They may be not songs where youll break loose and dance but so was SIOOML..
Blood on the Dance Floor was performed on the HIStory Tour from May to August 31st,1997.That doesn't constitute as "one performance".

That will forever remain one of mysteries in MJ history. Maybe he hinted at his reasons, if not directly mentioning them? I guess so, cuz if he ever did mention anything, I woulda most definitely seen it somewhere sometime thanks to some members here and other MJ communities.

I always wanted him to perform this live. I remember when the Bad tour started and I was hoping to see him perform this plus 'Baby Be Mine' and 'Lady In My Life' on stage but it was not to be. The latter two weren't released as singles so it's understandable that he wouldn't have performed them live but PYT was a decent hit on the radio here in the states. Then again, he had to try to cram a lot of hits into the Bad tour and PYT just didn't make the cut. But then again, he could've performed it during the Victory tour....but they had to fit in some Jermaine stuff as well. Too bad all in all as PYT live undoubtedly would have been awesome.
I'm sure soooo many others were hoping and wondering too.
Do you remember what people said about possible reasons?

...Come to think of it, as big of a success as Thriller album was, the project wasn't given due attention tour-wise. As you mentioned, he had the Victory tour and then the Bad tour, and it almost feels like it was a back-to-back event. I mean, from Michael's perspective. The sheer amount of time and work for one tour, it's no joke, so I heard. So, he probably saw no window of opportunity for Thriller tour. Musta been very difficult to sandwich it somewhere in between.
If there was one, I'm sure almost all of the Thriller songs woulda been performed.
THE WHOLE ALBUM was a gigantic hit! Certain songs being less popular or non-singles wouldn't have made much difference.
Then why not on Bad tour?? Maybe he was like, "As bad as Thriller album was, I got this bad Bad album to focus on right now."
:)

Ir always wanted to hear Liberian Girl live.
The harmonies during e chorus, especially at the end of the song, give me goosebumps.
Would have been great to hear MJ and his backup singers working that song!

Back