Paula Abdul

kindofdisco

Proud Member
Anybody a fan of her music career/choreography/dancing, or even know about her outside of American Idol? I have to admit, I had no idea who she was before I got into Janet Jackson, and then discovered her back catalogue of some pretty darn catchy 80s/90s stuff! I think she's also an amazing dancer, makes me wonder why they put her as a judge on American Idol rather than So You Think You Can dance, haha!

Anyway, a favourite clip of mine -

Janet actually performed Escapade on the same night, but I think Paula's performance just blows it away. Absolutely stunning, terrifically put together and you can overlook the mimed vocals because the dancing is just amazing. She really shows off her cheerleading roots here!

Well she wasn't chosen by Michael, she was chosen by some of the brothers who went to a Laker's game and saw Paula performing as a Laker's girl. She went on to have a bit of an affair with Jackie, which some people speculate lead to his broken leg on the Victory tour; courtesy of his angry wife, haha!

Thanks for sharing! Epic performance from Paula! :D I do enjoy her music, haven't listened to her for a while but makes me want to listen again after watching that. I think I have one of her old 80's dancing VHS' somewhere around here...

I love Paula, especially "Cold Hearted", the song and the video for it. :)

Yeah, Coldhearted was my fav. single especially the long radio version with the extended rap. Yeah, I was a Paula Abdul fan. I bought her first two albums. The Way that You Love Me performance posted above is one of my favs. I discovered in the last 2yrs or so that she actually did two versions of the Way that You Love Me video. I forgot she had released it twice but I didn't know there were two videos. The differences in the two videos tell you something about how things were going with MTV by the late 80s.

Version 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ou-tmiQOM

Version 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFbjrQwOGf8

You can see the Gene Kelly influence in her work that she would like to mention from time to time & I remember admiring her style of dress.

Definitely a Gene Kelly influence, she's a great tap dancer as well! I'm so glad other people like her, she doesn't have a particularly strong voice but you can't deny her absolute talent in dancing.

Her 'Under my spell' tour was amazing. The lighting designer was Peter Morse, who also worked with MJ on the 'Dangerous' and 'HIStory' tours.

Paula will always have a special place in my heart. She's an excellent choreographer, has some really catchy tracks, and is a total sweetheart. Paula is a class act.

^ Agreed! She is so sweet to her fans, she comes off as just a really genuine person. :)

I like Paula. I think her music is just amazing. Personally, I wish she would come out with a new album.

I used to listen to her music as a kid. My fav clips were those two :happy:

^ Opposites Attract is such a classic! I'm a big animation fan, but I had no idea that MC Skat (I think that was the character's name?) and the others were animated by some of the Disney animators inbetween projects.

I was a big fan of Paula's as little kid. I remember listening to her music heavily on the radio. Her and Janet were hot at the time. I thought it was really cool that Paula choreographed Janet during the Control album. I have Paula's Greatest Hits album. I pop it in from time to time. I would love to see her perform some more. She's a genuinely talented dancer/performer.

Paula will always have a special place in my heart. She's an excellent choreographer, has some really catchy tracks, and is a total sweetheart. Paula is a class act.

She is, isn't she? I still remember that Nasty vid lol. Which one of them bros discovered her back when she was a Laker girl - Jermaine, Randy? Can't remember.

I used to listen to her music as a kid. My fav clips were those two :happy:

I loooooove those, especially Opposites attract - it's been one of my favorite music vids ever. Simply cool, funny stuff and that lil' moonwalk @ the end ain't 2bad either :D

and how bout this Rebel with a cause aka Neo :p

Awesome lady, God bless her!!!

2017 tour

Interview with New Kids On The Block & Boyz II Men about their joint tour

Back