People sing They Don't Care About Us at US protest

If Michael's music can be used as a force for change, then I'm all for it, and I'm sure he would be too. It's sad that it seems like society has taken a step back into the dark ages, or at least that's how the media portrays it because there's a lot of good out there too. We need more songs like Heal the World.

Brown, Garner and other tragedies under the Michael Jackson Microscope…True Story

Today my ten year old son brought home a writing assignment. His instructions were to print out the lyrics of his favorite song and write about what it means to him. Sounds simple enough? My son happens to be a fan of Michael Jackson thanks to Mom and Dad’s old CDs and “The Experience” dance game for the Wii. So he tells me that he wants me to print “They Don’t Care About Us.” Knowing the lyrics myself, I felt this was a very deep song for a 4th grade assignment and was curious to know why my son selected this song for his assignment. So I asked, “Do you know what the words in this song mean?” He looks at me as if I was from Mars and says, I know some of the words but it is my favorite song to dance to on the Wii. So my husband and I go into a short lecture on how important it is to understand the words that you put your body in motion to. We pull up the lyrics to the song and my husband reads them aloud and then plays the song for my son to hear again, this time with extra attention to the lyrics. I knew in my mind where this assignment was headed as the lyrics danced around in my head.

“What recent event does this remind you of,” my husband asked. My son responds, “Michael Brown and I can’t breathe (he had watch part of ‘Black & Blue’ on CNN which highlighted the tragic death of Eric Garner).” My heart begins to sink, as I listen to him respond to my husband’s questioning. The chorus replays in my head, “All I wanna say is that They don’t really care about us.” Tears begin to roll down as I watch the look of terror on my son’s face as my husband explains who the “they” can be , how the “they” may view him as a young black boy, and how the “they” may mistreat him or try to punish him.

My tears flow even faster when my three year old gives me a raisin and says “this will make it better, Mommy.” My boys are so innocent. So intelligent. Why do I have to have this conversation with my boys? How is this going to impact their self esteem? Knowing that they are growing up in a society that devalues and marginalizes them. Why do I have to participate in planting seeds of inferiority? It’s not fair? I cry harder, as I think of all the families impacted by police brutality, racial profiling, unjustified killings that are so deep rooted in that fabric of our country. Damn the justice system for how it is failing our kids? Painting them to be criminals and thugs? Stripping the educational system down to nothing in attempts to destroy all hopes of the true equalizer. My tears turned to anger as the lyrics play on in my head, “You’re rapin’ me off my pride…Oh, for God’s sake.”

My son will never look at “Michael Jackson: The Experience” the same again. He will be reminded every time he hears the song about our conversation in the kitchen. He will be reminded of his fear of the “they.” He will be reminded of the images that he continues to see play on the television screen. He will come to understand that the lyrics were written to be heard not just danced to.

“Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now
I’m tired of bein’ the victim of shame
They’re throwing me in a class with a bad name
I can’t believe this is the land from which I came
You know I really do hate to say it
The government don’t wanna see
But if Roosevelt was livin’
He wouldn’t let this be, no, no

Some things in life they just don’t wanna see
But if Martin Luther was livin’
He wouldn’t let this be, no, no”

I realize that so many families around the nation are forced to have this type of conversation with their brown and black boys. Parents are forced to feel a sense of unrest whenever their children leave the house. But this is not right and we should not be comfortable with that.

To rebuild my son’s self esteem and my sanity we changed the tune to “Man in the Mirror.”

I’m Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I’m Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change

And my son decided to do his second favorite Michael Jackson song for homework…”Bad.”

Well They Say The Sky’s
The Limit
And To Me That’s Really True
But My Friend You Have
Seen Nothing
Just Wait ‘Til I Get Through . . .

Because I’m Bad, I’m Bad-
Come On.

http://parentsunitedphila.com/2014/...er-the-michael-jackson-microscope-true-story/

Michael wrote inteligent songs full of social meaning, so it is nice to see that his music speak to people...

I would hope that most police in the U.S. do try to live up to the ideal of "protect and serve." However, there is a long history of racism and brutality toward African-Americans in the U.S., with virtually NO accountability. If the police are "investigating" the police, then the outcome is a no-brainer. No, there are not "two sides to every story." There are multiple sides, multiple experiences, and the reality is that in some jurisdictions, racist and brutal police are rampant, with no consequences. The cop was not indicted? That is THE POINT, and a primary reason for the massive demonstrations. The video of the last moments of Eric Garner's life was the EVIDENCE, and still, the grand jury failed to indict. That was a flagrant miscarriage of so-called justice. Michael, too, was a victim of police brutality. We all saw the horrible bruise on his arm, right? That was done deliberately, by how the handcuffs were placed. The police intended to HURT him, and they did. The TDCAU prison video is ABOUT police brutality. In the U.S., there are more black men in prisons than there are black men in colleges and universities! So yes, there is profiling, and differential treatment under "the law." I think the demonstrations are long overdue, and I hope they continue.

The Best of Internet @TheBestofMJJ ·
They Don't Care About Us - Marion Campbell | The Voice Germany 2014 | Live Clash: http://youtu.be/KIZx-1ElXCI via @YouTube
[video=youtube;KIZx-1ElXCI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZx-1ElXCI[/video]

Paris78;4063869 said:
The Best of Internet @TheBestofMJJ ·
They Don't Care About Us - Marion Campbell | The Voice Germany 2014 | Live Clash: http://youtu.be/KIZx-1ElXCI via @YouTube
[video=youtube;KIZx-1ElXCI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZx-1ElXCI[/video]

Love to see tributes to MJ and the way those keep his legacy alive.

But wow this perforamnce is aweful... - I mean really really bad. Not angry or anything. No emotions.

An excellent article:clapping:

"But there's a feeling that the super-famous haven't really stepped up to the plate."

He wrote what happen to Michael, and I'm certain that all those "super-famous" that D.B Anderson mentioned in his article knew and saw what happened to MJ so they will keep quiet and try not to stir the pot. Oprah keep talking shite on air until she kicks the bucket, Beyonce and Jay C won't do anything that rattle the media personnel to go after them, Tyler Perry is comfortable doing his cute little movies.......

No Guts, No Glory.

In the different note, so glad to see that many of MJ fans reacted to that article and thanked the author, that he replied one MJ fan saying he was asked to do another piece:clapping:

You can check his reply to Justice4Some twitter 6 hours ago
https://twitter.com/andjustice4some/with_replies

If we give positive attention (clicks) to proper articles, we get more proper articles of MJ.

Joe Vogel @JoeVogel1 · 10. Dez.

Outstanding article RT Michael Jackson and the politics of #BlackLivesMatter http://fw.to/QmlvgEH h/t @zolly_b @Happychick93 @birgiterika

Autumn II, very passionate post.

Bubs;4063922 said:
"But there's a feeling that the super-famous haven't really stepped up to the plate."

He wrote what happen to Michael, and I'm certain that all those "super-famous" that D.B Anderson mentioned in his article knew and saw what happened to MJ so they will keep quiet and try not to stir the pot. Oprah keep talking shite on air until she kicks the bucket, Beyonce and Jay C won't do anything that rattle the media personnel to go after them, Tyler Perry is comfortable doing his cute little movies.......

No Guts, No Glory.

What I appreciate most about the the current protests are:
- the protests are peaceful
- the protesters are multi-cultural as a whole

I understand there are some who prefer prominent African-Americans be vocal however; it seems to be acceptable that prominent Caucasians are not more vocal.

I believe Michael’s most underrated song is Cry. There has never been a moment in time where all of mankind has suffered an injustice. This is why mankind has and will continue to suffer injustices at the hand of others.

Garth Brooks is in the middle of a big comeback tour and he cancelled some shows because it was the first night of protests in Ferguson and he wanted to show respect and solidarity.
I went over to his Facebook page to read his message and he is getting blasted by his fans.

Garth Brooks is in the middle of a big comeback tour and he cancelled some shows because it was the first night of protests in Ferguson and he wanted to show respect and solidarity.
I went over to his Facebook page to read his message and he is getting blasted by his fans.

His fans may not, but I appreciate Garth Brooks' decision.

https://www.facebook.com/michaeljackson

As reported in The Baltimore Sun, the importance and power of the messages in Michael's music once again offer strength and support in difficult times. For the full story: http://www.baltimoresun.com/…/bs-ed-messenger-king-20141209… ‪#‎HealTheWorld‬
10444414_10152956891176473_1744452570322092744_n.jpg

B4s5MT5CQAAbtOK.png:large

Last edited:
http://newblackman.blogspot.de/2014/12/whatdigitalhumanitieslooklike-you-cant.html

WhatDigitalHumanitiesLookLike: "You Can't Win" (for #TrayvonMartin)

Writing about the song “You Can’t Win” in his autobiography Moon Walk Michael Jackson recalls “My character had plenty to say and to learn. I was propped up on my pole with a bunch of crows laughing at me, while I sang “You Can't Win,” The song was about humiliation and helplessness—something that so many people have felt at one time or another. "(140)

With “You Can’t Win” as backdrop students in the Michael Jackson and the Black Performance Archive course at Duke University re-staged the final minutes of Trayvon Martin’s life highlighting the deeper connections between Jackson’s music, the vulnerability of Black youth and the political moment defined, in part, by the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter.

[video=youtube;ZcjuKmdzqVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjuKmdzqVU&list=PLMwXuAP70mh1OJgL9f8_qgDy-2R_ii-5e[/video]

That wont stop the music. If the people want to hear it they'll find a way. Just makes the song even more powerful.

Last edited:
Sony Hack Re-ignites Questions about Michael Jackson's Banned Song-D.B. Anderson Dec 17th
http://perceptive.kinja.com/sony-hack-re-ignites-questions-about-michael-jacksons-p-1672116301

As the Black Lives Matter movement grew in reaction to the lack of indictments in the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown, Michael Jackson's 1995 song "They Don't Care About Us" was resurrected at the grass roots level in many cities including Ferguson, New York, and California.
"They Don't Care About Us" was denounced by The New York Times even before its release, and did not reach much of its intended audience because the controversy caused by the New York Times article would go on to overshadow the song itself. Radio stations were reluctant to play it and one of the short films Jackson created for the song was banned in the U.S. Bernard Weinraub, husband of Sony Pictures Chief Amy Pascal, was the writer of the Times article.
"They Don't Care About Us" was Jackson's statement against abuse of power and the political corruption that enabled it. Two key events inspired the song:
• In 1992, five white police officers who stood trial in Los Angeles for the videotaped beating of Rodney King were found not guilty by a jury with no African American members. Then, as now, there were riots and protests about longstanding policies of racial profiling and systemic police brutality.The following year, Jackson, who had not been charged with any crime, was forced to undergo a humiliating 25 minute strip search by the same LAPD. The Santa Barbara District Attorney and police detectives arrived at Jackson's home in Los Olivos, California with a photographer who documented his private parts on film.
Black man, blackmail Throw your brother in jail All I wanna say is that They don't really care about us
Bernard Weinraub's pre-release story accused Jackson of having "bigoted lyrics" in the song. He described the entire HIStory album as "profane, obscure, angry and filled with rage." The criticism seemed disingenuous, as the lyrics were taken out of context.Many of Weinraub's email messages to Pascal were exposed in the Sony hack; one advised her to fire an executive which she promptly did; another stated outright that he had special access and influence with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd.Pascal was previously Vice President of Columbia Pictures, where Jackson, who wanted to star in films, had a motion picture contract that was never fulfilled. Later she became head of Sony Columbia Pictures. Jackson's recording contract was with Epic, a division of Sony.Weinraub, who is now a playwright, was a respected New York Times reporter on the Hollywood beat until his relationship with Pascal created a conflict of interest that began to anger the subjects of his articles. Weinraub admitted to as much in his farewell column at the New York Times.Weinraub's cozy relationships in Hollywood included David Geffen. Geffen had worked closely with Jackson, convincing him to replace his key advisors with ones hand-picked by Geffen, according to Zack O. Greenburg's Michael Jackson, Inc.When the controversy over "They Don't Care About Us" arose, Jackson asked Geffen for public support, but he would not go on record. Jackson's manager, Geffen's pick Sandy Gallin, refused to speak on television. He fired Gallin and never spoke to either of the men again. Geffen refused to be interviewed for Greenburg's book.
Jackson and Spike Lee made two separate short films for "They Don't Care About Us." "He was not having good relations [with Sony/Epic]...there was friction there," said Spike Lee in a recent interview with Iconic magazine.The first version, recorded in Brazil, features the Afro-Brazilian drumming group Olodum. If you're familiar with the song, this is the version you've probably seen. Already in production at the time of the controversy, it uses sound effects to obscure the objectionable words.But the "Prison" version is a tour de force; Jackson had even more to be angry about. Jackson and Lee chose to film in a Long Island jail, said Lee, because "a lot of people in prison shouldn't be there. A lot of people are there for a much longer time too. In American prisons, there are more brown and black people than white."
All Jackson's frustrations seem to be on display in this raw and angry performance. Behold:Jackson would not win though - at least not then: the Prison version was banned from American television. Jackson later had a public feud with executives at Sony Music which was eyed skeptically by many.One particularly vicious 1995 Newsday review read in part: "When Michael Jackson sings 'They Don't Care About Us' you've got to wonder who he thinks 'us' is."The Black Lives Matter protestors don't wonder.

The more you know... I wasn't aware Sony itself was putting obstacles to Michael even back then, I thought it was just the media. He was right all along about their schemes to oppress him but as usual, the flock of sheep labeled him as crazy, paranoid and mocked him. It's such an injustice and a disgrace what they did to him and his career. And it's such a shame Michael had to die for people to understand and appreciate Michael had more guts to stand for what it's right and telling the truth unlike the majority of their beloved black celebs. :cry:

I remember being 8 or 9 when TDRCAU came out which was also the same time as the OJ Simpson trial and asking a lot of questions about both. Whenever people got down on MJ about his "questionable" skin color and/or him "choosing" to be white, I would fume. Imagine a 9 year old fuming at grown adults about the color of someone's skin, and why they didn't seem to realize that he was writing songs like that to try and open people's eyes to the injustice that was going on from the perspective of a black man and as a HUMAN BEING. I was a kid, and that was my first introduction to race relations. I always say I got a good multi-level education from Mike, and I stand by that.

^^Another great piece from the same reporter that wrote Baltimore Sun article.
-----------------------------
I dug out that old review from NY Times that Weinraub wrote back in 1995:
In New Lyrics, Jackson Uses Slurs
By BERNARD WEINRAUB
Published: June 15, 1995

One of the most anticipated and heavily promoted albums in years, Michael Jackson's "HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I," includes a song with lyrics that can be interpreted as pointedly critical of Jews.

Although Mr. Jackson has over the last decade built a reputation as a performer whose music consistently focuses on childhood, fantasy, love and brotherhood, his new double album, which is to be released by Sony Music on Tuesday, is profane, obscure, angry and filled with rage.

Because most of the lyrics on the album have been kept secret, few here appeared to be aware of its contents beyond the single "Scream," which has been released along with a music video. In the song "They Don't Care About Us," however, Mr. Jackson sings, "Jew me, sue me, everybody do me/ Kick me, **** me, don't you black or white me." The song also says: "Skinhead, deadhead, everybody gone dead/ Hit me, kick me, you can never get me." And at one point, Mr. Jackson sings, "I'm tired of being the victim of shame." The song's refrain is, "They don't care about us."

A copy of the album was obtained several weeks ago by Jon Pareles, the chief pop music critic for The New York Times, with the understanding that his review of it would not appear until Sunday, two days before the album's release. The review appears in the June 18 Arts and Leisure section, copies of which were available today, because the section is printed on Wednesdays.

In response to a reporter's query about the lyrics of "They Don't Care About Us," Mr. Jackson gave a statement to The New York Times this afternoon. It said: "The idea that these lyrics could be deemed objectionable is extremely hurtful to me, and misleading. The song in fact is about the pain of prejudice and hate and is a way to draw attention to social and political problems. I am the voice of the accused and the attacked. I am the voice of everyone. I am the skinhead, I am the Jew, I am the black man, I am the white man. I am not the one who was attacking. It is about the injustices to young people and how the system can wrongfully accuse them. I am angry and outraged that I could be so misinterpreted."

Appearing on the ABC News program "Prime Time Live" tonight, Mr. Jackson denied that "They Don't Care About Us" was anti-Semitic. "It's not anti-Semitic because I'm not a racist person," he said to the interviewer, Diane Sawyer. "I could never be a racist. I love all races."

He added: "My accountants and lawyers are Jewish. My three best friends are Jewish -- David Geffen, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Steven Spielberg." Mr. Geffen, Mr. Katzenberg and Mr. Spielberg are partners in the Dreamworks studio.

Mr. Jackson's new album comes at a crucial point in his turbulent career, which was threatened two years ago by accusations of child molestation. Mr. Jackson settled a civil suit brought by a 13-year-old boy, reportedly for more than $10 million; a criminal suit was dropped.

"HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I" is being promoted by Sony at a reported cost of about $30 million. Mr. Jackson has not released an album since "Dangerous," in 1991, and his own advisers as well as those at Sony Music are anxious about the momentum of a career that once seemed golden.

When asked yesterday about the lyrics of "They Don't Care About Us," Sandy Gallin, Mr. Jackson's manager, said in an interview that they should be taken in context. "When I heard those lyrics, I thought they were brilliant," he said. "He's saying, stop labeling people, stop degrading people, stop calling them names. The song is about not being prejudiced. To take two lines out of context is unfair."

Melani Rogers, the vice president of publicity for Epic Records, a division of Sony Music, said in a written comment, "Our own reaction to that song is that it is a statement against prejudice of any kind."

A spokeswoman for Sony USA said that Michael P. Schulhof, the chairman, was traveling and unavailable for comment. Mr. Jackson's representatives at Creative Artists Agency declined to comment.

A booklet accompanying the album includes comments from Elizabeth Taylor, Mr. Spielberg and other celebrities. Mr. Spielberg, who directed "Schindler's List," is quoted as calling Mr. Jackson "one of the world's most precious resources." Marvin Levy, a spokesman for Mr. Spielberg, said this comment was made about two years ago, in connection with a television show.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/15/arts/in-new-lyrics-jackson-uses-slurs.html

As for bolded part, here is the link Parales' review and it is petty and nasty:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/18/arts/pop-view-michael-jackson-is-angry-understand.html

These people at NY Times were seriously f..ed up in their minds, see little snippet below:bugeyed
"The booklet also includes a baby picture of Jackson with his genitalia revealed -- celebrity child porn? -- and an illustration he drew to go with a new ballad, "Childhood." The drawing is of a boy huddled in a corner with a microphone, looking scared."

This is the drawing, right?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3W4UvWscwnA/Smcxxsa1ENI/AAAAAAAAB8A/XPCWp8pH4dY/s400/1-childhood.jpg

Last edited:
Good ole modern day lynching.they cant handle the truth so will destroy you

As for bolded part, here is the link Parales' review and it is petty and nasty:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/18/arts/pop-view-michael-jackson-is-angry-understand.html

Parales was always such a hater. I have never seen a fair and balanced critque of any MJ work by him.

These people at NY Times were seriously f..ed up in their minds, see little snippet below:bugeyed
"The booklet also includes a baby picture of Jackson with his genitalia revealed -- celebrity child porn? -- and an illustration he drew to go with a new ballad, "Childhood." The drawing is of a boy huddled in a corner with a microphone, looking scared."

This is the drawing, right?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3W4UvWscwnA/Smcxxsa1ENI/AAAAAAAAB8A/XPCWp8pH4dY/s400/1-childhood.jpg

The drawing yes. The photo - I think this is what they mean (that's the only baby photo of MJ I know of on which his genitalia is "revealed". One has to be really perverted to call it "celebrity child porn". The pic was also featured in Katherine's book - I guess she must be a perv too.

Mike-As-Baby-HQ-Awwww-michael-jackson-10748910-391-326.jpg

The pic was also featured in Katherine's book - I guess she must be a perv too.

Mike-As-Baby-HQ-Awwww-michael-jackson-10748910-391-326.jpg

I had to giggle at this. Leave it to poor MJ and his mother to show 1 naked baby photo of him and have it labeled as perverted, while if it were literally ANYONE else, everyone would be all "well ain't that the cutest thing in the gosh darn world."

Ppl like that are normally throwing stones to hide their hands.

They knew exactly what they were doing all apart of the agenda.and for most of them it continues to this day.

Amazing how they still feel so threatened by him. But such was and is the man's influence

I wonder if there were reviews that called Nirvana's "Nevermind" album cover with the naked baby "child pornography" too or it's just Michael Jackson who's a pervert because he included his own picture as a baby in a bathtub.

Ppl like that are normally throwing stones to hide their hands.

Think so too. You have to be a really twisted person to even go there... I never looked at this picture and thought "that's gonna bring some bad press.". This review is disturbing to say the least.

I wonder if there were reviews that called Nirvana's "Nevermind" album cover with the naked baby "child pornography" too or it's just Michael Jackson who's a pervert because he included his own picture as a baby in a bathtub.

Actually Kurt Cobain said it the best:

The Nevermind album cover shows a circumcised baby boy, alone underwater with a US dollar bill on a fishhook just out of his reach. According to Cobain, he conceived the idea while watching a television program on water births with Grohl. Cobain mentioned it to Geffen's art director Robert Fisher. Fisher found some stock footage of underwater births but they were too graphic for the record company. Also, the stock house that controlled the photo of a swimming baby that they subsequently settled on wanted $7,500 a year for its use, so instead Fisher sent a photographer to a pool for babies to take pictures. Five shots resulted and the band settled on the image of a three-month-old infant named Spencer Elden, the son of the photographer's friend. However, there was some concern because Elden's circumcised penis was visible in the image. Geffen prepared an alternate cover without the penis, as they were afraid that it would offend people, but relented when Cobain made it clear that the only compromise he would accept was a sticker covering the penis that would say, "If you're offended by this, you must be a closet pedophile."[SUP][31][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind#Packaging

Back