[ Pretrial Discussion Closed ] AEG files summary judgment motion to dismiss Katherine's lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [General Discussion] AEG files their summary judgment motion asking to dismiss Katherine's lawsu

So how does that prove that AEG negligently hire murray? and how does that prove that AEG is responsible of MJ death?
and how does that prove that AEG knew or should have known about MJ issues?

By the way, can you cite the whole quote. because this means nothing really. absolutely zero.

Did I say it does prove any of those things? No. I was just pointing out that when it comes to greed, it's horses for courses.

Re: [General Discussion] AEG files their summary judgment motion asking to dismiss Katherine's lawsu

Did I say it does prove any of those things? No. I was just pointing out that when it comes to greed, it's horses for courses.

AEG is a corporation ( i.e a business) and their mandate is to seek profits.

In contrast, the Jacksons are family (supposedly) and so have a MORAL obligation NOT to profit from MJ. It's that simple.

lol AEG is a corporation and their mandate is to seek profits.

In contrast, the Jacksons are family (supposedly) and so have a MORAL obligation NOT to profit from MJ. It's that simple.

Those emails were extremely damning and showed how easily they brushed off Michael's death when they saw the money they could make.

Like it or not, they are well within their rights to file a wrongful death lawsuit as are the millions of other people who file them. The parents of Nicole Brown Simpson filed a wrongful death lawsuit. It is a legal right.

Those emails were extremely damning and showed how easily they brushed off Michael's death when they saw the money they could make.

Those emails prove Zero and the judge nixed all the claims linking AEG to MJ death. the only one that is left is negligent hiring and the evidence so far is not in the Jacksons favor.

Like it or not, they are well within their rights to file a wrongful death lawsuit as are the millions of other people who file them. The parents of Nicole Brown Simpson filed a wrongful death lawsuit. It is a legal right.

KJ is filing simply because she's a beneficiary of MJ Estate and is dragging the kids (who are heirs of MJ Estate) along I guess to get some sympathy from the jury. the real forces behind this frivolous lawsuit are the jackson siblings who happen to be left out of MJ will. so they have no basis to file the lawsuit.

Those emails prove Zero and the judge nixed all the claims linking AEG to MJ death. the only one that is left is negligent hiring and the evidence so far is not in the Jacksons favor.

KJ is filing simply because she's a beneficiary of MJ Estate and is dragging the kids (who are heirs of MJ Estate) along I guess to get some sympathy from the jury. the real forces behind this frivolous lawsuit are the jackson siblings who happen to be left out of MJ will. so they have no basis to file the lawsuit.

Well at least you have it all worked out.

They filed a wrongful death lawsuit against O.J., the person who was ON TRIAL for allegedly killing their daughter.

The Jackson's could have done the samething, but Murray doesn't have enough money to cover the ENTIRE Jackson clan. Next up: Plan B-AEG.

Big difference, the Browns and the Goldmans knew they wouldn't get any real money out of O.J. Simpson, but that wasn't their objective. In my opinion, their main objective was to make O.J.'s life as miserable as humanly possible and that is exactly what they did.

qbee;3809986 said:
I've been pondering .. maybe it would be good if Jackson's did win this case, :unsure: Then they could stop with all the conspiracies. Stop selling stories to the media, exploiting the children and get off the MJ Estates back so they can concentrate on furthering Michael's legacy. If they lose it just going to be the same old song and drama and estate will be footing the bill for everything. If they win they can just fight amongst themselves over the money and leave everyone else alone. Thats sounds good to me .. I'm so tired of it all .. I want to get back to celebrating Michael and his legacy. Not the day in day out constant drama from the Jackson family. They constantly sucking all the joy out of trying to celebrate Michael's life and legacy. For me anyway :(

I´m not sure if the Jackson family ever will get enough.

The e-mails are insensative and distasteful but I don't believe they say anything that is illegal do they? Unfortunately this is how business operates many times.
OT but I work for a large health care system in the Chicago area and they have us scared to death with the new health care reform thats coming. Every day it is something new. No raises this year, hiring freeze so we are working short and yesterday thay started talking about laying off. I broke out in hives and I am more frightened then I have ever been. I am single and support myself.

Long story short these companies are in it for the money but I don't think they want us to die. They want us to keep working so they can make money. Michael had been in the business practically since his infancy and I bet AEG wasn't doing anything that he hadn't seen a million times. MJ knew it was a cut throat, dog eat dog business. I bet he knew Randy Phillips was an insensative a$$ but he had seen enough of those.

If Kenny Ortega is to be believed then Michael desperately wanted TII and was terrified he was going to lose it.

Most people I know never question a doctor and since Conrad M didn't have any run ins with the law regarding his treatment of patients I can see why AEG and the rest of Michael's team never doubted or questioned his professional opinion. Many look at doctors as the highest authority when it comes to medical care.

AEG didn't want Michael to die. They wanted him to live so they could suck as much $ out of him as they could. And I have no doubt they told him that if he didn't do his job then he would lose alot. Just like my job :(

Last edited:

I've never understood why when it comes to MJ, there's never any outrage when he's mistreated. As huge as he was, i've always found this odd. Let someone attack Woody Allen, Hollywood would be out for blood. Or let someone start going after Kurt Cobain's daughter, I don't think the public or her father's friends would remain quiet. But with MJ, you can do anything, I mean anything to him and now his kids and nothing is said. I don't get it.

You would think someone would be publicly asking why the hell aren't the Jacksons doing anything about all these stories. But MJ having the kids in masks had everyone and their dog speaking up.

Michael is always being used by people no matter who they are for money. I hope whatever happens that people's love for Michael will go on after this trial.

Michael Jackson's financial, medical records to be revealed?

By Jeff Gottlieb
April 19, 2013, 4:03 p.m.
A Superior Court judge is poised to decide whether some records of Michael Jackson’s finances and medical history should be kept out of public view during a trial over the singer’s 2009 death.

Jury selection in the wrongful death case began April 2 and is likely to last at least another week, according to attorneys. But the fate of the confidential documents is expected to surface early next week.

The wrongful death suit, filed by Jackson’s mother and three children, accused entertainment powerhouse Anschutz Entertainment Group of hiring and controlling the Las Vegas physician who gave Jackson a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol in the days before he was set to begin a series of comeback shows in London.

AEG contends that it was Jackson who brought Dr. Conrad Murray aboard, while the firm had planned to retain an English doctor.

Jackson’s estate, which is not a party to the wrongful death suit, is requesting that certain portions of the confidential records be shown only to the judge, witnesses, attorneys and the jury. If granted, the motion would keep some of the documents from being made public.

Attorneys for the estate also intend to look at the witness lists and depositions from experts to try to show which materials it wants to remain closely held.

Meanwhile, jury selection continued Friday and Kevin Boyle, one of the Jacksons’ attorneys, estimated that opening arguments would begin about April 29. The trial is expected to last four months.

Attorneys can remove as many potential jurors as they want if they can convince the judge they are biased. In addition, each side is allowed eight peremptory challenges, meaning they can remove a juror for almost any reason. Each side is allowed another five peremptory challenges for alternates. Twelve jurors and five alternates will be selected.

Another hearing next week will be held on AEG’s challenge to some of the Jacksons' expert witnesses, Boyle said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,5545303.story

I've never understood why when it comes to MJ, there's never any outrage when he's mistreated. As huge as he was, i've always found this odd. Let someone attack Woody Allen, Hollywood would be out for blood. Or let someone start going after Kurt Cobain's daughter, I don't think the public or her father's friends would remain quiet. But with MJ, you can do anything, I mean anything to him and now his kids and nothing is said. I don't get it.

You would think someone would be publicly asking why the hell aren't the Jacksons doing anything about all these stories. But MJ having the kids in masks had everyone and their dog speaking up.

I think this is basically bullying - but this one isn't done by kids on the schoolyard but by adults through the media. One chacarteristic of bullies is that they always attack the defenseless, the ones about whom they sense they are the most vulnerable. And Michael is vulnerable and defenseless, because they know even his own family does not care about defending him. They will not sue anyone on his behalf. Heck, instead of going against those who trash him, they even reward some of his detractors by befriending them (LaToya with Gutierrez, Rebbie with Stacy Brown etc). That's why Michael is attacked constantly, because they know they can get away with it. He's an easy target and bullies always bully the easy targets.

As for Hollywood. Yeah, it's interesting how they defend people like Polanski, or Phil Spector (there's a movie currently in the making about him - with Al Pacino playing Spector -, and it upset the relatives of his victim, because the movie suggests Spector was innocent), but not Michael, who was actually acquitted (unlike Polanski or Spector...). I have my theory about why that is so, but because I have no evidence, just a theory, I will keep it to myself for now.

i think we all know the reason respect

Well hell Imma say it! MJ is black and they ain't! I always believed a lot (if not all the $h!t) they put MJ through was because of his race IMO!

Last edited:

I think this is basically bullying - but this one isn't done by kids on the schoolyard but by adults through the media. One chacarteristic of bullies is that they always attack the defenseless, the ones about whom they sense they are the most vulnerable. And Michael is vulnerable and defenseless, because they know even his own family does not care about defending him. They will not sue anyone on his behalf. Heck, instead of going against those who trash him, they even reward some of his detractors by befriending them (LaToya with Gutierrez, Rebbie with Stacy Brown etc). That's why Michael is attacked constantly, because they know they can get away with it. He's an easy target and bullies always bully the easy targets.

As for Hollywood. Yeah, it's interesting how they defend people like Polanski, or Phil Spector (there's a movie currently in the making about him - with Al Pacino playing Spector -, and it upset the relatives of his victim, because the movie suggests Spector was innocent), but not Michael, who was actually acquitted (unlike Polanski or Spector...). I have my theory about why that is so, but because I have no evidence, just a theory, I will keep it to myself for now.

let me help you: the answer is RACISM.

And what about the kids? No one thinks what's happening with them because of their own family is cruel and messed up? Where the hell are these same columnists that went after Will Smith and Jada for supposedly exploiting their kids? I get the media isn't going to call out the family because they are getting what they want, but what about all these non media folks? This is the type of stuff Rosie O'Donnell & Roseanne Barr, etc. would normally be all over.

Messing with kids is just something I don't ever see being allowed to happen, so seeing no outrage over MJ's kids mistreatment is just really odd. Especially when you see so many public figures expresssing how much they hate the media. And also the fact you see so many folks expressing how they're rooting for these kids.

I think no one saying anything is why the family continues to be so shameless with the exploitation. But if heat was being put on their asses, maybe they would let up a little, since they seem to be about pushing this laughable nice supportive family image.

Re: Jury Selection Thread - Katherine Jackson vs. AEG

Let's be objective here. Michael new Murray long before AEG contract. In Vegas he cured kids. So, who introduced Murray to AEG? Apparently Michael. How AEG is responsible? They picked the doctor whom Michael trusted and wanted to treat him from insomnia. The irony is that MJ used to trust wrong people.
The question is whether or not AEG USED Murray as a fall guy to kill MJ? That is what I think has happened. In this case, AEG should be charged for capital murder, not wrongful death.

The parents of Nicole Brown Simpson filed a wrongful death lawsuit. It is a legal right.

The Simpsons filed the lawsuit to punish OJ, the Jacksons are suing to enrich themselves. Two completely different motives.

Qbee, for me, if the plaintiffs win, it will mean their legal team proved the defendants negligently hired the doctor. The family, the media, even fans are not taking any of “the joy out of trying to celebrate Michael's life and legacy” for me.

StellaJackson, it has been often repeated but, there is no proof the siblings are behind the lawsuit.

The Goldmans also filed a civil lawsuit and felt they would receive compensation. They were only allowed Simpson’s future earnings. His life was not made miserable; he continued his retirement playing golf.

Remember, AEG did not seek restitution from the doctor either.

The Goldman's made OJ an outcast. They did make his life miserable and never allowed the public to forget or take the focus off what he had done to their beloved Ron. The Jackson family cannot say they have done the same. In fact they have done the complete opposite in the case of MJ.

Tygger;3811394 said:
The Goldmans also filed a civil lawsuit and felt they would receive compensation. They were only allowed Simpson’s future earnings. His life was not made miserable; he continued his retirement playing golf.

yeah and that's why he went to prison while he was trying to sell his memorabilia secretly so that Goldman's would not know it. I recommend reading about Goldmans. They credit themselves for making OJ's life miserable and eventually causing the series of events that got OJ to be arrested.

Remember, AEG did not seek restitution from the doctor either.

AEG cannot seek restitution from Murray. Do you mean they didn't sue Murray? Why would they sue him if they believe they did not hire him?

Respect of course it is bullying. That is why I sometimes I sneer when someone is the press talk about bullying in schools & on the internet and how people/authorities should do something about it. The media engage in a lot of bullying under the guise of freedom of speech--but that is another topic.

Scorpion your comment: The question is whether or not AEG USED Murray as a fall guy to kill MJ? That is what I think has happened. In this case, AEG should be charged for capital murder, not wrongful death.

You really think AEG used Muarry to kill Michael? Can you say what facts led you to think that?

Ivy, Simpson was charged with kidnapping, robbery and assault because he stole his own items from a sports memorabilia dealer. He sold nothing secretly or illegally and it had nothing to do with the Goldmans. If they believe they assisted in those charges being levied, it is their opinion.

AEG could have sought restitution because of their lost but, they were already made whole from the Estate.

ivy;3794583 said:
During arguments, the question arose of why Katherine Jackson did not sue Murray. Attorneys disclosed that Jackson’s son Prince and his daughter, Paris, testified in depositions that they believed Murray was “a good person” and didn’t want him sued. But Katherine Jackson, who had the decision, testified it was financial, they said.

The judge said AEG could have sued Murray as well.

“The same questions can be asked of you,” she told AEG lawyers. “Why didn’t you sue him?”

“Because we’re not required to,” attorney Marvin Putnam said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...326338-928d-11e2-9173-7f87cda73b49_story.html

AEG could have sought restitution because of their lost but, they were already made whole from the Estate.

not to be nitpick but in USA restitution is only present in criminal law so AEG could not sue anyone for restitution. What you are talking about a civil lawsuit for monetary damages.

Tygger;3811394 said:
StellaJackson, it has been often repeated but, there is no proof the siblings are behind the lawsuit.

Knowing what we know about this family and how they usually operate when it comes to MJ, I think even the Jacksons supporters know who is behind this lawsuit (even if they don't care to admit it). In addition to the fact that they can't be plaintiffs, because they aren't beneficiaries of his will.

And T-Mez just further confirmed it in his Piers Morgan interview, if anyone had any doubt:

So I think this issue is well founded by the siblings, and I think it’s going to be a big issue for the plaintiffs. And I think AEG will have a tough time explaining it.

^I don't really care who is behind the lawsuit, it's mrs j's name on the legal docs and she's the one with the power to stop or carry on with it. If she was purely a puppet, then why did some sibs have to go and kidnap her back in the summer? She's got her own lawyers and business advisers and people like trent around her, not just her children. It always amazes me how some allow her to evade any real responsibility for anything. This lawsuit isn't really anything new or uncharacteristic from her, she's always wanted mj to provide for all the family, in death now as in life.

Ivy, it is semantics. Many articles have incorrectly referred to the damages the Goldmans sought as restitution. It happens in this thread as well; especially when comparing the Jacksons and the doctor to the Goldmans and Simpson.

Serendipity, how are fans learning about the family and how they operate? If I support the plaintiffs, I am a labeled a Jackson family supporter and that is supposed to be a negative, correct? The full comment from Mesereau does not support your suggestion.

MORGAN: I have two clips to play. This is from interviews with Jermaine Jackson and then Latoya Jackson. Both talking about the people around Michael Jackson, including AEG. Let's listen to these back-to-back. First Jermaine, then Latoya.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
JERMAINE JACKSON, BROTHER OF MICHAEL JACKSON: They were only concerned about the show, moving the show forward.

MORGAN: These are people working for AEG?

J. JACKSON: These are people working for AEG, working for him, working for the show.

LATOYA JACKSON, MICHAEL JACKSON'S SISTER: They controlled everything that he did, the people that were around him. They knew he wasn't healthy enough to do those shows, but yet they said he was fine.
(END VIDEO CLIP)

MORGAN: Now, when you hear the family talk like that, not entirely surprising, but certainly a familiar pattern. From Michael's father to his mother to the siblings, all repeating this same pattern about how they believed all these people were around Michael, forcing him against his health, really, to do this tour. How significant will any of that be when this trial starts?

MESEREAU: Could be very significant. Apparently, there are e-mails from his choreographer, Ken Ortega, warning AEG that he's not well. He has serious physical problems, serious psychological and emotional problems, he's asking for professional help. And I'm informed that there are some e-mails from AEG basically telling Murray you better get him to rehearsals.
So I think this issue is well founded by the siblings, and I think it's going to be a big issue for the plaintiffs. And I think AEG will have a tough time explaining it.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1304/02/pmt.01.html

The full comment from Mesereau does not support your suggestion.

One thing I'd like to add regarding Mesereau, Jermaine, and Latoya.

The latter two are talking about AEG pushing Michael to perform, pushing Michael to do this and that. Well weren't the Jackson Family doing the same thing they are accusing AEG of doing? I mean, the AllGood Entertainment thing had the backing of both Joe Jackson and his buddy Leonard Rowe. That meeting in Beverly Hills, wherein Mother was in attendance was NOT to discuss Michael's health. They were trying to find a way for Michael to perform in that AllGood family reunion.

Janet Jackson, at one point, was also pushing Michael to perform with the family. Even though he had already said he was not interested, she was STILL pushing.

And lastly, Jermaine Jacksun recently added to this ongoing mess by saying that AFTER Michael completed his O2 committment, he would be performing 50-dates with his brothers. As per Jermaine, "it was already planned."

That's one of the reasons I continue to say that T-Mez is only being "spoon-fed" soundbites by family members (aka siblings), he has no idea about anything else.

Oh and one more thing: LaToya says "yet THEY said he was fine." WRONG! Michael, himself, said that he was fine. He said "I know you're worried about me, but I'm fine."

There is nothing wrong with supporting the Jackson family if any think their case has merit. We allow all views here. I also believe AEG is somewhat culpable, but not to the extent the Jackson's are trying to claim.

My problem with the Jacksons Case is before the court dismissed all the bogus claims. They were trying to claim Dr Murray was AEG's scapegoat and bring in conspiracies as if he was AEG's hitman. It's only because the court dismissed those bogus claims for lack of ANY evidence that they are left with the "Negligent hiring and supervision". I glad the court could see through that ruse.

I'm not happy with everything AEG did or how MJ was treated at times. But I think those were rare incidents when problems arose and not common everyday accurances. It's a tough business, a lot was at stake and tempers can flare. That doesn't mean MJ was constantly berated or disrespected by AEG. Personally I feel they should have treated him with kid gloves just for the fact he was Michael Jackson, but thats not the nature of this business. and that isn't what caused his death.

I think the Jackson's are just as responsible as AEG for causing MJ high anxiety during his concert preparations but not for causing his death. I just see this case as the pot calling kettle black ..

Jury have been picked.

"Los Angeles (CNN) - A jury of six men and six women has been chosen to hear the Michael Jackson family's wrongful death lawsuit against concert promoter AEG Live.

Another six jurors must now be selected to serve as alternates in the trial, which is expected to last two or three months, in a Los Angeles courtroom.

Jackson's mother and three children are suing AEG Live, claiming the promoter was liable in the pop icon's death in 2009.

The judge has not set a date for opening statements and testimony to begin, although the trial opening could happen later this week".

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/22/showbiz/jackson-death-trial-jury/?hpt=en_c2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back