[ Pretrial Discussion Closed ] AEG files summary judgment motion to dismiss Katherine's lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [General Discussion] AEG files their summary judgment motion asking to dismiss Katherine's lawsu

Is anyone really believes Murray that idiot so he did not know what he was doing with that propofol, he monitored MJ other days, that day he was talking over the phone 45 min leaving MJ alone....
How do you know Murray monitored MJ other days?

Re: [General Discussion] AEG files their summary judgment motion asking to dismiss Katherine's lawsu

@Bubs Haven't heard a word from McParland for ages, I think he mostly covers criminal trials.

Bonnie Blue;3813985 said:
Oh, just realised, it's someone called mccartney (who he?) not mcparland who i remembered covered the murray trial. Well annita can vouch for this mccartney.

McCartney AP reporter
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowl...rtainment-reporter-exclusive-interview_b85801

“Respect your sources, respect the people that you’re writing about. Even if you’re having a disagreement with one of those parties, come at it from a position of respect and not one where you’re just lashing out. I was a late bloomer to journalism, so to have an advisor at SMC like Barbara so early in my career, it was really formative and important.”

That is why I like him.

Bubs, last tear - just added something to my post 2013 above. Had been busy googling mcparland!

This mccartney from assoc press, is a celebrity reporter, not a lawyer although from an interview he seems a bit above the usual tabloid hack. That's the problem with the reporting of this trial, the media will probably just send their entertainment writers rather than legal analysts so we're just going to get the usual tabloid fare.

He is a very serious AP-reporter. He wrote many articles in time of the Murray -trial, also about other trials form the Estate, Tohme, H. Mann...

BTW I don`t know MJ-related article from mcparland. Just know him from his tweets.

Last edited:

I'm looking forward seeing Katherine on stand and trying to keep up with her web of lies.

Yep!

And this time she won't have Janet standing behind her, with Janet POINTING to the notebook everytime Mother got off script. As was done in the Mommy-Napping "so-called" television interview. Remember that?

Annita said:
He is very a very serious AP-reporter. He wrote many articles in time of the Murray -trial, also about other trials form the Estate, Tohme, H. Mann...

BTW I don`t know MJ-related article from mcparland. Just know him from his tweets.

^Thanks annita. He seemed from an interview i read pretty conscientious and a different class from alot of those who cuts and pastes from other sources.

Mcparland appeared on sky tv in the uk for the murray trial - sky is murdoch's tv channel in the uk. He obviously must have just enjoyed a temporary change of scene from his main career of practising law.

Mcparland has worked on sky on and off for many years. i remember watching him commentating during the louise woodward nanny trial in boston in the late 90's was it? u know he did a great job during the trial when the haters were attacking him calling him pro mj. he shut them down everytime. best one being when they kept tweeting him saying its only a crim case cause its mj. he rolled out loads of cases of drs being done for neg m/s . frankly im surprised sky didnt sack him although i dont how he was on the actual t.v channel.

re kj being cross examined. other than kj's being responsible part i dont think we should get hopes up re cross with talk of drugs etc because aeg and kj are both saying he was an addict. i doubt aeg care about showing her contridictions. this isnt like the crim case. no one is on mjs side. i doubt aeg care about kjs contridictions unless it helps them and their case

Yep!

And this time she won't have Janet standing behind her, with Janet POINTING to the notebook everytime Mother got off script. As was done in the Mommy-Napping "so-called" television interview. Remember that?

Speaking of Janet, will she come out of hiding to attend this farce of a trial?

re kj being cross examined. other than kj's being responsible part i dont think we should get hopes up re cross with talk of drugs etc because aeg and kj are both saying he was an addict. i doubt aeg care about showing her contridictions. this isnt like the crim case. no one is on mjs side. i doubt aeg care about kjs contridictions unless it helps them and their case

By showing her contradictions and lies to the jurors, AEG might be able to reduce the amount of money (in case AEG loses) jurors are willing to award Katherine. If AEG shows the lies, contradictions, Katherine's own responsibility to MJ, her greediness for money will portray her in bad light, so I think it might help AEG reduce the amount she'll be awarded if any, at least I hope so.

She cannot be far as she is in the witness list for both sides.
Did you see members of Jackson's appearing CM trial for opening statements? They all showed up for the first day, but then numbers started dropping as they weren't given headlines on news and other more important things came up that needed their attendance. I'm expecting the same in this trial too.

By showing her contradictions and lies to the jurors, AEG might be able to reduce the amount of money (in case AEG loses) jurors are willing to award Katherine. If AEG shows the lies, contradictions, Katherine's own responsibility to MJ, her greediness for money will portray her in bad light, so I think it might help AEG reduce the amount she'll be awarded if any, at least I hope so.

Very true

04/25/2013 at 09:00 am in department 28 at 111 North Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Oral Argument(1) unsealing medical records2) Mtn to exclude Pltfs expertGordon Matheson3) re: technical equipment)

Shouldn't we be hearing something by now, the estate has been arguing about medical records nearly 3 hours?
Hurry up judge and do the right thing.

By showing her contradictions and lies to the jurors,

It ALSO goes to credibility.

i.e. you said one thing on Monday and you said something totally different on Tuesday, which one is true?

That's one way to trip a witness up. Folks on the jury don't like when a witness lie to them, in my opinion. If nothing else, your answers need to be consistent. You can't change your story everytime you repeat said story. That's one of the reasons folks clam-up when they are involved in lawsuits. No interviews, no little soundbites, because they don't want to get tripped up on the witness stand.

^^ I agree.

I was thinking this
allowed(motion denied)- Motion 4 - Michael's siblings have or had financial problems
- Gifts from Michael Jackson to his siblings are relevant to the issue of Jackson's damages and for the purposes of cross examination/impeachment of siblings.

Can they not use that impeachment thing on K? There is going to be a lot of impeachment when K takes a stand.

Btw, did you see K with LaToya on her reality show?
There is different K under that grieving mother facade, that is the ruthless K Joe is talking about, and I'm hoping to see THAT K on stand.

----------------
Nothing decided yet.

ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 2m
More motions heard this morning. First was regarding the sealing orders. Nothing resolved so far. Judge thinking about it.

Last edited:

Besides, KJ is the elderly 82 year old grieving mother. There is a built in sympathy factor for her. I can't see any attorney badgering her, which they'd HAVE to do for her to be consistent on any matter.

ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 41s
Then attorneys resumed discussions on what they think should be allowed or not. Plaintiff & defense disagree on MJ's loss of future income

ABC7 Court News ?@ABC7Courts 6m
Plaintiffs asked judge to allow them to use Debbie Rowe's deposition taken in the Lloyd's of London case. Nobody objected.

Why Debbie was deposited for Lloyd's case?

^^^^ huh?

Most of the time Debbie is deposed as an ex-nurse of Klein and as a person that was involved in Michael's medical care.

When was the last time she worked for Klein?

I think she left Klein when she was pregnant. Karen Faye used to say Debbie would inject Michael and tried to teach her as well. So that's probably why Debbie is being deposed.

^^^^I hadn't heard that before.

Yeah i agree re credibility re kj during cross examination and impeaching etc if shes said contridictary things . i guess what im saying is aeg arent on mjs side i cant see them caring interms of making an effort to impeach kj re drugs etc. just about her motives etc

Yeah i agree re credibility re kj during cross examination and impeaching etc if shes said contridictary things . i guess what im saying is aeg arent on mjs side i cant see them caring interms of making an effort to impeach kj re drugs etc. just about her motives etc
But its stupid though. AEG's strategy should be to go after her and her real motivations for filing this lawsuit. I'm telling you, juries don't like to see dead victims put on trial, even Michael. I doubt they'd also be thrilled that a family is trying to use a dead member to get this money. If AEG pushed this angle, I think they'd have some jurors ruling in their favor.

From what I heard, she does intend to be there with the other treacherous 3.

As Michael Jackson-AEG civil trial nears, attorneys squabble

With the Michael Jackson wrongful death civil trial around the corner, attorneys argued Thursday about a number of issues, including whether to unseal the music legend’s medical records and preclude certain testimony from expert witnesses.

The wrongful death suit filed by Jackson’s mother and three children accuses AEG’s concert promotions arm of hiring and controlling Dr. Conrad Murray, who administered the fatal dose of propofol to the pop singer. Jackson died in 2009, shortly before he was scheduled to appear in a series of comeback shows in London.

Jackson’s estate, although not a party in the suit, has requested that certain portions of his medical history be kept private.

Patricia Millett, a lawyer for the estate, said she hadn’t spoken with attorneys in the civil case about which exhibits they planned to introduce.

“We won’t know precisely what we need until plaintiffs’ case is done,” said one of AEG’s attorneys Jessica Stebbins Bina. She added that the records were “relevant to the cause of his death, life expectancy and earning potential."

Kevin Boyle, an attorney for the Jackson family, said he didn’t think the actual records would be a large component, but could become relevant. “The whole trial is going to be about Michael Jackson’s medical condition,” he said.

A deputy city attorney representing the Los Angeles Fire Department was also present Thursday and said records from the night Jackson died were subject to HIPPA privacy laws.

Judge Yvette Palazuelos has yet to issue her final ruling.

Attorneys also argued over excluding opinions of expert witnesses.

In his deposition, Dr. Gordon Matheson, a Stanford professor of sports medicine, testified that financial conflicts of interest affect medical care decisions, Stebbins Bina said.

“The issue here, your honor, is we have a sports ethicist interpreting contracts,” she said.

Her firm also said the plaintiff’s expert witness Arthur Erk, a certified public accountant, had no basis for the estimated earning capacity of Jackson. Erk projected in his deposition that Jackson could have earned $269 million on a series of Las Vegas shows featuring his music as well as $50 million in a clothing deal.

An attorney for the defense said that was unrealistic for a performer who had many failed projects. “That’s a hope, a dream, that’s not a basis for damages,” she said.

As tensions rose in the courtroom, attorneys quibbled over audio-visual equipment that will be used during the trial. Despite plaintiffs’ protests, Palazuelos ruled the courtroom would use monitors provided by the defense.

Panish insisted his firm had no reason to shoulder any of the equipment’s cost, estimated to be about $6,000 a month.

“AEG can afford it,” he said.

“Your honor, we have to stop those type of references,” said Marvin Putnam.

Panish countered, “I’m not AEG, I’m not worth billions of dollars.”

Palazuelos ordered the two sides to work it out themselves. “I don’t want to get involved.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-as-michael-jackson-trial-20130425,0,1632715.story

But its stupid though. AEG's strategy should be to go after her and her real motivations for filing this lawsuit. I'm telling you, juries don't like to see dead victims put on trial, even Michael. I doubt they'd also be thrilled that a family is trying to use a dead member to get this money. If AEG pushed this angle, I think they'd have some jurors ruling in their favor.

I find it hard to believe AEG won't be going after Katherine's motives. Plus I just can't see some of the jurors not being disgusted by MJ being thrown under the bus by his own family for money. Especially when it's revealed he took care of their asses.

I think she left Klein when she was pregnant. Karen Faye used to say Debbie would inject Michael and tried to teach her as well. So that's probably why Debbie is being deposed.

Wouldn't that require Faye to show up to state that in court to state that herself?? :D
That's a cross exam I'd love to translate, ugh.

On the other hand - I'd love for Debbie to explain that she maybe explained the use of EpiPen or something to that degree. You know - out of an abundance of caution of a nurse.
It's as if were watching "Calvinists vs Hedonists" being the stand in for 'men/man/mankind'. If Michael knows about a philosopher drinking the hemlock - that has GOT TO BE drug seeking behavior. *sarcasm*

Last edited:

Hopefully the jury will ask where was Katherine's concern about her son's health when she was begging for him to tour with the family?

"A deputy city attorney representing the Los Angeles Fire Department was also present Thursday and said records from the night Jackson died were subject to HIPPA privacy laws."

So sad that there are total strangers to Michael trying to keep at least a little bit of his privacy private, first the estate and now above :(
It should be family fighing on Michael's behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back