"Privacy" appreciation thread

lubyss

Proud Member
As ITC, speechless or SIM, here is a thread for Privacy from Invincible.

I love the song so much. It is a lot deeper than DS and the production of Privacy is so great. Slash solo and Michaels deep voice. I really love his deep voice. :)

I don't dislike too many Mj songs but this one is just not working for me in any way. I always skip this song when it comes on.

I do like how he used the sound of a camera in the instrumental :)

This is like a Stevie Wonder forum having a thread dedicated to 'Don't Drive Drunk'.

love this song. one of my favorites from Invincible. I would say it's my 2nd favorite

I don't dislike too many Mj songs but this one is just not working for me in any way. I always skip this song when it comes on.

this is an appreciation thread though. if you don't like it, go start another thread about it

I used to dislike this song but with time, I've begun to appreciate it more.

love this song. one of my favorites from Invincible. I would say it's my 2nd favorite

Its one of the only songs that have the trademark MJ sound for me. Always loved this song.

Yeah definitely not Slash. You don't even need to check the notes for that one.

I was surprised to learn Slash didn't play on "Privacy", but its still a phenomenal song. Michael's relationship with the tabloids was complicated at times, but tunes like this and "Leave Me Alone" were the boldest about it.

Undoubtedly the worst song in his released catalogue.

Despite loving the song, the intro was a kick in the teeth. I'm sorry but including a fan looking for a photo, and a child getting excited about seeing him? Please....

I've never actually heard it all the way through. At least I don't think I have, there's a couple of songs on the second half of Invincible like that. I'll hear maybe a minute, decide I'm not keen on it and skip it from there on.

I'll give it a listen now and then pass judgement.

Edit: Just listened, it's essentially a weaker version of Tabloid Junkie (now there's an appreciation thread we need) and is a pretty plodding song in it's melody and not very inspired lyrically. His worst ever song? To me, I'd always listen to angry Mike than melodramatic Mike, so personally I'd sooner listen to it than The Lost Children for example.

For the record my least favourite song in his back catalogue is Little Susie, even though I love HIStory.

Last edited:
it seems that some people don't know what the word "appreciation" means. how embarrassing :doh:

I love Privacy. The opening notes, the sound of his voice, the simple and straight to the point lyrics. The guitar. Why did he yell Slash when it's not Slash playing? Habit maybe? Or he originally planned to work with him on it. I like the solo I wish it was a bit longer.

In the lyrics I've always wondered who he was talking about "some of you still wonder why one of my friends had to die... " When I think of paparazzi and someone dying the first person I think of is Princess Diana. Then in the next line he mentions "she". I mean it could be someone else he was referring to. But I've just wondered.

I can see why the intro is disliked but I think that he was just trying to say he got tired of all the "Look it's Michael!" all the time even if it was from those who mean well. Sometimes you just want to be left alone. That being said the intro could have been better. Intro or not I still love the song, I just wish he could have got what he wanted but you know how paparazzi are.

I love Privacy. The opening notes, the sound of his voice, the simple and straight to the point lyrics. The guitar. Why did he yell Slash when it's not Slash playing? Habit maybe? Or he originally planned to work with him on it. I like the solo I wish it was a bit longer.

Maybe Michael thought it'd be funny if he tricked people into thinking it was Slash? That's the kind of humour he had hehe (thinking of when he'd prank call Russell Crowe and impersonate people).

In the lyrics I've always wondered who he was talking about "some of you still wonder why one of my friends had to die... " When I think of paparazzi and someone dying the first person I think of is Princess Diana. Then in the next line he mentions "she". I mean it could be someone else he was referring to. But I've just wondered.

I can see why the intro is disliked but I think that he was just trying to say he got tired of all the "Look it's Michael!" all the time even if it was from those who mean well. Sometimes you just want to be left alone. That being said the intro could have been better. Intro or not I still love the song, I just wish he could have got what he wanted but you know how paparazzi are.

It is Diana :)

It's not in the top of my favourites but I do really like Privacy alot.

@HIStoric Yeah, that does seem like something he would do haha

@lubyss Good to know. He probably thought of her a lot...

I love that gritty growl he has singing this song.

Ain’t the pictures enough, why do you go through so much
To get the story you need, so you can bury me
You’ve got the people confused, you tell the stories you choose
You try to get me to lose the man I really am. - MJ

Privacy, such a great and powerful song with very raw and in a way terrifying vocals that immediately get you into the song causing you to feel what Michael felt.

Back