Quality wise,what do you think was better for a posthumous MJ Release: Michael or Xscape?

I agree - THIS would have been an AMAZING cover !!! - Better than the Xscape cover we got - IMO...

They could use it for Xscape 2.0 (if there should ever be one, which I doubt).
It's like Michael saying: I want you to buy me right now!! ;-)

Why compare two completely different song's though? Song Groove was intended to be upbeat, Michael vocalizing aggressively.. his anger against the injustice of an abortion.

All I was pointing out was that it was not unlike Michael to create upbeat songs about potentially dark topics. For all we know, that might've been Teddy's thought process when working on Hollywood Tonight.

I was surprised when I heard that. I expected a dark song and it was a total dance-athon.
Really love that.

Haha YES! I remember the first time I was dancing to it! I was like "Uhh... should I really be dancing to this" but come on, like I could escape the groove!

Only Michael :smilerolleyes:

Kind of the same happened to me with DYKWYCA, the poor thing was used and abused but the music was danceable, I felt torn!

I don't know who thought Xscape's current cover would be better over that unreleased BOTDF picture, I mean, Michael looks powerful and captivating even more than the Uncle Sam image saying I WANT YOU.

I don't know who thought Xscape's current cover would be better over that unreleased BOTDF picture, I mean, Michael looks powerful and captivating even more than the Uncle Sam image saying I WANT YOU.

That's what I love about Xscape's cover - the eyes captivate you and draw you in! :D

Xscape would come first for me. I can actually listen to the songs over and over and won't really get bored of them. On the other hand, I only listen to Behind the Mask from Michael...with great pleasure.

All I was pointing out was that it was not unlike Michael to create upbeat songs about potentially dark topics. For all we know, that might've been Teddy's thought process when working on Hollywood Tonight.

I hate when people call it Hollywood Tonight, that's a fake title created by Sony after Michael's death! the title is 'Hollywood' from the early creation in 1998 to the final mix that Michael heard in 2008, there. I hope we hear more versions of that track in the future, the 2002 demo sounds great.

I hate when people call it Hollywood Tonight

Well I'm still gonna call it that sooooo

But yes. I think an album similar to The Beatles' Anthology of Michael's songs in progress would be cool. I think we'll see something like someday.

Well I'm still gonna call it that sooooo

But yes. I think an album similar to The Beatles' Anthology of Michael's songs in progress would be cool. I think we'll see something like someday.

Well fine, but i completely disagree. And There are still many unreleased tracks to come, enough for several albums! and i agree, but i think something like that should be done for his rough/incomplete demo's, like 'In The Back' & 'People Of The World' for example.

Well fine, but i completely disagree. And There are still many unreleased tracks to come, enough for several albums! and i agree, but i think something like that should be done for his rough/incomplete demo's, like 'In The Back' & 'People Of The World' for example.

Second on the left page. I've always seen people cite this on this board (even recently) so I'm assuming it's legit. Where exactly did you hear it was just Hollywood because in the four years I've known of the song thats the first I've ever heard someone suggest different?
tgtUmvF.jpg

And I think the Anthology should feature both. I'd like to hear an album of both as it'd show the creative process of Michael, not just one step of it (aka the part where he casually hums to something like People of the World). It doesn't just have to be unreleased songs, but demos/outtakes of material MJ released in his lifetime too :)

I would say production wise Xscape is by far superior.

Michael has 6 great songs. HMH, HT, BTM, AD, BOJ and MTS. - Much Too Soon is my favorite. HT and BOJ shares the second spot!

Xscape has 8 truely great songs IMO. - I did not like DYKWYCA at first - and BG seemed weird and cinematic at first - but only because I had heard leaked versions. If I had never heard leaked versions I would be over the moon with exitement. - Still am actually.

Loving You is my favorite from the album, it's perfect. Sweet, simple, pure - MAGIC!

Chicago - never heard this before - truely a great MJ song.

LNFSG - I had heard the demo and was sceptical - but WOW... - Amazing song - the duet is the best production wise.

STTR - third best song after LY and Chicago.

Xscape, BG and APWNN - 3 great songs. - I like the new versions just as much as the original versions - maybe even more!!!

and DYKWYCA - maybe the only song where I really prefer the original. - But still the new version is still good.

And Xscape had demos and a DVD with videos. (even though the DVD was absolutely crap IMO...)

Bus seen as a release Xscape wins. - Just the fact that there was no debate about vocals makes it a better release. "When in doubt - keep it OUT !!"

Man, I couldn't have said it better.

I think the quality/mastering of the Michael album is better than Xscape.. Every track on Michael is nice and crisp (good on the ears) while some songs on Xscape sound very loud with some mixing/editing errors that should not even be heard on an official Michael Jackson album especially with Timbaland on board.. and I'd definitely consider it more "MICHAEL" approved than Xscape.. Michael should have been Xscape as we all know (replacing Cascio tracks).. no excuses.. so Michael hands down!

Last edited:
"In The Back" has never been listed as a demo though. It's always been as a complete song,so maybe he wanted the mumbling of the lyrics on purpose.
If any demos get completed for a new album,I'd like to hear new versions of "Scared Of The Moon","Fall Again",and other songs.

"In The Back" has never been listed as a demo though. It's always been as a complete song,so maybe he wanted the mumbling of the lyrics on purpose.
If any demos get completed for a new album,I'd like to hear new versions of "Scared Of The Moon","Fall Again",and other songs.

Funny you mention 'Scared Of The Moon' as in his final month's, he intended to bring it out of the archives and record a completely new version for his new album! as seen listed on the unreleased song title sheets, leaked by TMZ.. he wanted to work on 'Beautiful Girl' a little more also.. i wonder if he got round to at least recording a new chorus, or creating a new instrumental mix..

10 tracks was way to little. Should have been at least 12 or 14. Same said for Xscape. 8 was way way too little.

10 tracks is plenty. All releases will be 8-10 tracks. MJ is dead and can not record new songs.

only other annoying thing is the ''She's only fifteen'' line being cut out of Hollywood, the name change..

The name change? Of what? It was always Hollywood Tonight. Never Hollywood.

I hate when people call it Hollywood Tonight, that's a fake title created by Sony after Michael's death! the title is 'Hollywood' from the early creation in 1998 to the final mix that Michael heard in 2008, there. I hope we hear more versions of that track in the future, the 2002 demo sounds great.

You can't be more WRONG!

"early creation in 1998" - The song was written in 1999!

"2002 demo sounds great" - How can you possibly know that? You mean that extremely low quality fan recording outside of his hotel room?

Funny you mention 'Scared Of The Moon' as in his final month's, he intended to bring it out of the archives and record a completely new version for his new album! as seen listed on the unreleased song title sheets, leaked by TMZ.. he wanted to work on 'Beautiful Girl' a little more also.. i wonder if he got round to at least recording a new chorus, or creating a new instrumental mix..

I think Scared of the Moon is one of the most beautiful songs in his entire discography ^_^ That, Fall Again and Beautiful Girl were some of my favourite songs on The Ultimate Collection. I'd love to see them brought up again on another release (amongst songs we haven't heard, those should be the priority).

Funny you mention 'Scared Of The Moon' as in his final month's, he intended to bring it out of the archives and record a completely new version for his new album!

He wrote "Finish Scared Of The Moon", not record a completely new version. So I doubt he would change it drastically. Vocals are fully recorded, so I doubt he would re-record them (he rarely did that, for example Come Together (1985) was released in 1995 with exact same vocals). Even if he would that wouldn't mean a completely new version. Also remember that the version released is not the final version he worked on as we know that he worked little on it during Invincible sessions.

I hate when people call it Hollywood Tonight

I'd say hate is a strong word for calling a song by its known official name, as a fan I'm more annoyed when fans misspell "Billy Jean"... I mean... :bugeyed

I admit Michael has better quality sound. I don't know why they didn't do the pristine job for the demos in Xscape they did for the Bad 25 ones. Those sound gorgeous.

I admit Michael has better quality sound. I don't know why they didn't do the pristine job for the demos in Xscape they did for the Bad 25 ones. Those sound gorgeous.

Apparently the original versions were mixed from the mono recording's, APWNN is the only song that sounds fairly clean

For me, Xscape just barely edges Michael out. The latter has some outstanding remixes (Hollywood Tonight in particular), though the former has obviously had time dedicated to it.

The Michael album should of been like the following but titled 'Xscape'..

#1. Love Never Felt So Good (duet with J.T)
#2. Chicago
#3. Loving You
#4. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 version)
#5. Hollywood Tonight
#6. Slave To The Rythym
#7. Hold My Hand
#8. A Place With No Name (demo version)
#9. Blue Gangster (demo version)
#10. Best Of Joy
#11. Xscape (demo version)

If the first album were released this way it would of been an absolute smash. Notice tracks 4, 5 and 6 are have a similar story to them and I also think they are probably the best (and most danceable) tracks on the album, like Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller on the Thriller album.

Also I much prefer the demo versions of the three songs I listed and i don't believe they needed updating. (who cares if they sound slightly dated, everything does eventually).

For me, Xscape just barely edges Michael out. The latter has some outstanding remixes (Hollywood Tonight in particular), though the former has obviously had time dedicated to it.

Hey you still around Alwaysthere? Haven't seen u online for awhile :)

The Michael album should of been like the following but titled 'Xscape'..

#1. Love Never Felt So Good (duet with J.T)
#2. Chicago
#3. Loving You
#4. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 version)
#5. Hollywood Tonight
#6. Slave To The Rythym
#7. Hold My Hand
#8. A Place With No Name (demo version)
#9. Blue Gangster (demo version)
#10. Best Of Joy
#11. Xscape (demo version)

If the first album were released this way it would of been an absolute smash. Notice tracks 4, 5 and 6 are have a similar story to them and I also think they are probably the best (and most danceable) tracks on the album, like Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller on the Thriller album.

Also I much prefer the demo versions of the three songs I listed and i don't believe they needed updating. (who cares if they sound slightly dated, everything does eventually).

A Place With No Name (Original) is just such a smash. One of My fav MJ Songs actually

Back