Quincy Jones' New Interview

Re: Quincy Jones new interview

You seriously thought that people would be more interested in his stupid ass theories about JFK then what he said about Michael? Really though I mean seriously

I thing Michael was a real prophet. Listening to the song Money right now feels so appropriate.

"Are you infected with the same disease of lust, gluttony and greed?
Then watch the ones
With the biggest smiles
The idle jabbers
'Cause they're the backstabbers"

Michael Jackson, the prophet. He sang this in 1994 but it's so real and appropriate right now. These lines are so Quincy.

Ok, in my country it's in every online newspaper!! And as always media love it when some one is trashing on Michael :banghead:

Last edited:

So I did not see this coming but it's trending news.. I mentioned yesterday that they discussed it on The Real and Wendy Williams.. Last night I saw it mentioned on late night shows.

Interesting that the MJ section of his interview is the bigger story over his claim to JFKs assassination..
Yes but most people are thinking Q was dirty, exaggerating about MJ. MJ is being more defended in this than anyone so it is not hurting MJ. Most people know creativity and how it works.

Well from what I have read today, there might be some more MJ bashing from Quincy in the future....he is doing an interview with Oprah to celebrate his 85 B'day, a doc on Netflix and a 3 hour podcast with Questlove. Won't that be fun ?

I wanted to gather my thoughts before posting anything here... because i was boiling inside. But thank you for all y'alls comments as I couldn't have said it any better... It's really REALLY Sad how these people come out w/ all Their "INSIDER" stories about Michael 9 years after his passing.

I'm just in awe. SMDH!

When The Family Claps Back: Zeola Gaye & Rain Pryor Dispel Quincy Jones's Rumors http://www.curlynikki.com...-rain.html

Quincy Jones's interview with Vulture has been a doozy in every way imaginable. While the interview did provide great commentary on what he thinks about today's music industry and his relationship with Ivanka Trump, it also spilled some messy tea that has left a lot of people pissed off.

The super producer has made claims that iconic soul singer Marvin Gaye and comedian Richard Pryor had sexual relations with actor Marlon Brando. Richard Pryor's widow Jennifer Lee Pryor recently said that her deceased husband did have sex with Brando, stating "If you did enough cocaine, you'd f*** a radiator and send it flowers in the morning."
Yikes...
Old age is really doing a number on Q because he has forgotten that Black people don't let you just talk about their family members and get away with it. Richard's daughter, Rain Pryor fired up her fingers on social media and had this to say in response to the accusations:

Rain Pryor's Response via Facebook:

rain%2Bp.png

The raft of Rain wasn't the only thing coming for Quincy Jones today, because Marvin's sister Zeola Gay snatched a few of Q's whiskers too:

Zeola Gaye's Facebook Post:

q.png

To some, Quincy's interview was funny. I have even seen some say it's "for the culture." My question is whose culture? This is February, honey. Black History Month. Marvin Gaye is to us what Elvis, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles (who Quincy also dissed) are to them. Notice it takes a collective of them to be mentioned in a sentence with Marvin. And yes, Richard Pryor has been caught in a few public scandals, but we still appreciate his legacy. So what is Quincy Jones trying to prove here? And why isn't he airing dirty laundry on celebrities who are actually ALIVE to confirm or deny his allegations?
It's been rumored that PLENTY more goes on than having 22 concubines in Q's Jook Joint, so he needs to talk about that instead! February is a short month, Quincy. Pour us some of your tea sooner than later.

Well from what I have read today, there might be some more MJ bashing from Quincy in the future....he is doing an interview with Oprah to celebrate his 85 B'day, a doc on Netflix and a 3 hour podcast with Questlove. Won't that be fun ??

Will that be a contest on 'Who is the best liar???'

Gosh........... I don't know who I dislike more; Q or Oprah :grrrrrr

I have long maintained that Oprah's opinion about and attitude towards Michael were largely based on what she heard from Quincy Jones. So that interview will be interesting.

As much as this interview distresses me and we are all right to be upset and offended, I remember that I have been here before and I will be here again. And Michael's legacy will endure. I am not trying to be flip, I truly believe that most people have made up their minds about Michael - they love him, they hate him or they are indifferent to him and stuff like this being discussed does not change that.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Quincy Jones is an extraordinary talent, but one should never dismiss the sum of all parts of a collaboration. There is a reason the most commercially successful and historically significant album he produced is Thriller. Michael Jackson was a genius. They worked well together.</p>&mdash; Darren Hayes (@darrenhayes) <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenhayes/status/961398399844081664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">8. Februar 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A podcast with questlove? That will be interesting, he's one smart man when it comes to music.. while I'm sure he has a lot.of respect for Quincy.. he also has a lot of respect for Michael!

I'll add this thought... When people are calling Quincy Senile! While there COULD be truth to that, a part of me sees it a bit differently..

Whatever opinions we have of this guy, it's all mixed of course.. He's always been business savvy!

Anyone think it's possible that he is intentionally jumping around getting little snippets of drama out there to creating extra interest in him?

Quincy wants to make a 10 part series biopic of himself, what better way to get people bidding on his story than to showcase a bunch of controversial randomness??

I'm just saying it could be calculated

I have long maintained that Oprah's opinion about and attitude towards Michael were largely based on what she heard from Quincy Jones. So that interview will be interesting.

As much as this interview distresses me and we are all right to be upset and offended, I remember that I have been here before and I will be here again. And Michael's legacy will endure. I am not trying to be flip, I truly believe that most people have made up their minds about Michael - they love him, they hate him or they are indifferent to him and stuff like this being discussed does not change that.
Well if that is the case, Oprah should chill. Look back on her life, she is no where near being a saint or one to judge someone else.

I wonder if Quincy is still angry about MJ's lawyer bringing up the demos in his lawsuit last year against the estate? Hence why he decided to trash in that Vulture interview hmmm

Quincy Jones Testifies Against Michael Jackson Estate: &#8216;I Was Cheated Out of a Lot of Money&#8217;

Quincy Jones took the witness stand on Thursday, telling jurors he was &#8220;cheated out of a lot of money&#8221; by Michael Jackson&#8217;s estate.
Jones&#8217; lawyers have alleged that the veteran producer is owed $30 million in revenues that have flowed to Jackson&#8217;s estate since the singer&#8217;s death in 2009. Jones, 84, has been touring in Europe for most of the trial, which has been underway in Los Angles Superior Court for two weeks. He entered the courtroom Thursday in a wheelchair. At issue is the interpretation of two contracts for the albums &#8220;Off the Wall,&#8221; &#8220;Thriller,&#8221; and &#8220;Bad.&#8221; Jones testified that he left such details to lawyers and never read the actual agreements.

Instead, in often rambling testimony, Jones articulated a basic principle that he deserves to be paid for any use of songs from the albums. &#8220;If we made the record, we deserve to get paid,&#8221; he said. &#8220;It&#8217;s that simple.&#8221; An attorney for Jackson&#8217;s estate, Howard Weitzman, tried to get Jones to concede that he is entitled to a share of album sales but not to licensing revenues for the Jackson recordings. &#8220;That&#8217;s a joke,&#8221; Jones answered. As Weitzman pressed him, Jones added, &#8220;I don&#8217;t care what the agreement says. If I put my heart and love into making a record, I want to get paid. I don&#8217;t care what the paper says.&#8221;

At another point, Jones asked the lawyer: &#8220;You ever made a No. 1 record?&#8221; &#8220;No,&#8221; Weitzman said. &#8220;I know that,&#8221; Jones replied. Jones&#8217; lawyers contend that his contracts entitle him to significant proceeds from &#8220;This Is It,&#8221; the backstage concert film released after Jackson&#8217;s death, as well as those from two Cirque du Soleil shows. The attorneys also contend that Jones is owed a larger share from a Sony contract that was renegotiated after Jackson&#8217;s death.

Under questioning from his own lawyer, Mike McKool, Jones gave extensive reminiscences about his music career and his collaboration with Jackson. He testified that his relationship with Jackson was founded on &#8220;love, respect, and trust,&#8221; and that financial considerations ...y surfaced. &#8220;That never in my life crossed my mind &#8212; money and fame,&#8221; he said. &#8220;If that happens, God walks out of the room. If you try to sell Ciroc vodka, forget it.&#8221;

Under cross-examination, Weitzman played Jackson&#8217;s demo versions of &#8220;Workin&#8217; Day and Night,&#8221; &#8220;Don&#8217;t Stop &#8216;Til You Get Enough,&#8221; and &#8220;Beat It,&#8221; as well as the finished album versions of each song. Jones nodded his head in rhythm, and at one point raised his arm as if conducting musicians. Weitzman&#8217;s point was that Jackson himself made major contributions to the sound of each song, which rankled Jones, who testified that producers often take the blame for failures while artists get credit for hits. &#8220;I believed in Michael like my own son,&#8221; he testified. &#8220;I spent more time with him than his family. They weren&#8217;t in the studio.&#8221;
Weitzman repeatedly noted that he is representing Jackson&#8217;s three children, who are the beneficiaries of the estate, and asked if Jones would sue Jackson if he were still alive. &#8220;I&#8217;m not suing Michael, I&#8217;m suing y&#8217;all,&#8221; Jones said, noting that the estate&#8217;s lawyers have been handsomely paid. Another attorney for the estate testified earlier that the executors have received about $50 million in fees since Jackson&#8217;s death. When Weitzman raised the children again, Jones rebutted, &#8220;I got children, too.&#8221;

http://variety.com/2017/b...202501533/

It's frustrating because nobody defends Michael. I mean this is going to pass like it always does but Michael's siblings just kill me with their refusal to defend their brother. I guess if there's no money involved they can't be bothered

It's frustrating because nobody defends Michael. I mean this is going to pass like it always does but Michael's siblings just kill me with their refusal to defend their brother. I guess if there's no money involved they can't be bothered

I totally agree with you......they have NO spine.

Q&#8217;s an A-hole: Ain&#8217;t Nothing Admirable About Quincy Jones&#8217; Spite and Petty http://kinfolkkollective.com/2018/0...c&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

quincy-jones-talks-ray-charles-frank-sinatra-michael-jackson-main-678x381.jpg

Mama pulled my hand and asked, &#8220;you feel like talking?&#8221;

I knew what coming. Two days prior they found the shadows in her brain that registered that things had gone deeply wrong. This was not a casual chat&#8230;She was unburdening herself of the weight of decades of secrets. This was Mama traveling light.

There&#8217;s a beautiful thing that happens to the elderly when they know they have lived. They start unpacking their lives and redistributing their wealth, both in material goods and pearls of wisdom. The wealth of wisdom they have to share is beautifully married to an absence of ****s-to-give. As they age, our elders eschew the constrictions of decorum and politeness.

They break wind as they need. They say whatever the **** they like. Lord knows they&#8217;ve earned it: the right to spit up in their declining days, the bitter indignities they held in silence and let sour in their gut &#8211; pain that our ilk has neither the intestinal fortitude nor constitutional integrity to stomach. &#8211; So here baby, take this afghan and these earrings I always see you looking at, cause you gon&#8217; get this work.

But that ain&#8217;t what Quincy Jones is doing.

Jones&#8217;s recent spate of interviews does not read like a man lightening the load on his soul in the last leg of his journey but like one who is revealing and reveling in how heavy and dark it is. His abrading stories don&#8217;t ring with the generosity of spirit that acts as a salve when elders truths burn tender young egos.

And while many have read his feckless words with carefree glee and delight, I could find no cause for celebration. Mr. Jones is revealing himself to be an ugly, petty, and arrogant man whose musical genius is now overshadowed by his moral turpitude.

It&#8217;s not particularly endearing to hear a man tell you he actively shuns women over 42 (that&#8217;s still half his age) in favor of women young enough to be his great-granddaughter. It&#8217;s not especially uplifting to read about his disgust for beloved musicians you&#8217;ve seen him stand and smile with for decades. It doesn&#8217;t reveal any grand charisma to stomp on the accomplishments of relative upstarts who have managed to grow despite the shade cast by your looming shadow. It doesn&#8217;t take any act of great courage or charisma to spill the secrets of the defenseless dead. In fact, it&#8217;s a special kind of cowardice to boast how you stood by and watched people behave as bullies and monsters and continued to participate in their revelry.

Years ago when news of Bill Cosby&#8217;s now well-known history of sexual predation was still being ignored, I told my then-wife. &#8220;Don&#8217;t get it twisted, that nigga used to hang with Quincy Jones. He aint Doctor Huxtable. They both Dr. Jekyll.&#8221; That wasn&#8217;t rooted exclusively in fact but sound conjecture from good sources and an overall sense of &#8220;aint right&#8221; that the always-too-slick Jones seems to carry.

Jones, like Cosby, benefits from the goodwill and forgiving lights of the 80s. He&#8217;s the man who stood next to Micheal Jackson while his legendary catalogue of hits was created. He made &#8220;We Are The World&#8221; happen. He&#8217;s Oprah&#8217;s fave.

But this is also a man who has consistently worked in the music industry since his teens. He spent a lot of nights in a lot of alleys with Miles Davis and heroin. Q stood by as Ray ascended in the music world and declined morally. He was &#8216;around&#8217; when Cosby was doping and raping women. Quincy Jones seems to have lived a life in the periphery of filth and hedonism.

By his own account Quincy has seen a lot of shit, but outside of his self-celebratory and unquestionably misogynistic claims of unfettered womanizing, Quincy Jones emerges clean of any wrongdoing or any proclivities that would shift the public view of him.

But where was he when all this scheming an lying was going on? When all the sucking and ****ing was going down, where was Quincy Jones? Sitting in the corner taking notes? Standing by the door holding coats? The only way to have seen as much shit as Quincy Jones has seen is to be knee-deep in that shit.

Jones is spilling other people&#8217;s guts, in preparation for a massive celebration of his life and accomplishments &#8211; again. Back in 1979 when he suffered a life-threatening aneurysm, his friends and family &#8211; many of whom he&#8217;s outlived and is now dishing on &#8211; arranged a high-profile memorial service which Jones attended with his neurologist in tow, in the event the emotion would overtake him. And now at the age of 85, he&#8217;s doing an encore, this time, propping himself up on the corpses of those legends and emptying his bowels on them with a cavalier air that suggests no love or loyalty to people he once rubbed elbows &#8211; and lord knows what else, with.

I don&#8217;t know for a fact the Quincy Jones did a lot of dirt, but I&#8217;ve been privy to rumors and insinuations about him from people who have cause to know. An old man I worked with in my brief stint in music gave me his Gold and Platinum records for Thriller with a handwritten note by MJ. After years serving in an industry that sullies your soul, he was moving on. Packing light. Gold and Platinum platters notwithstanding, all I took with me when I left there were the golden nuggets and pearls of wisdom I got from him and a few other elders who survived that business: Lay down with dogs, you get fleas. People survive here on mutually assured self-destruction. Expense everything you do, it&#8217;s all business. All of it, nobody&#8217;s hands are clean.&#8232;&#8232; The bigger the house, the more rooms, the more skeletons in those closets.

When Mama called me to her bedside to lighten her load, she unburdened her soul of her secrets, shames, and torment she&#8217;s held inside. She knew about the book I was writing, she just didn&#8217;t know if she&#8217;d get to see it (she did by the way- she&#8217;s still here). When I asked how telling my story would affect her, Mama said, &#8220;you got to tell your story, I got to tell mine. We can&#8217;t live downtrodden to prop anybody else up, any more than we can step on other people to make ourselves tall.&#8221;

I guess that&#8217;s why I find it hard to find celebration in Quincy Jones&#8217;s dishing of the secrets of others and his seeming disdain for almost everyone he&#8217;s worked with. I know in my soul that after 66 years in this business he&#8217;s slinging mudballs with dirty hands.

My question is when exactly was state of independence rec. Because they must have both been in 1981? The song Billie Jean was released before Donna summers version of state of independance..

Jermaine always defended MJ but I guess because some fans trash him when he do and trash him when he do not, He does not bother.

Jermaine always defended MJ but I guess because some fans trash him when he do and trash him when he do not, He does not bother.

Not so sure about that, but okay.

He's working on a broadway musical about Michael with Quincy Jones, right now.
I guess money talks louder than blood, in this instance.

Taj Jackson's tweets about Q :
@Vulture @Billboard @Vibe @EBONYMag @Tmz
Since my uncle Michael can&#8217;t defend himself, I will speak my peace. State of Independence is from a 1981 Jon & Vangelis album "The Friends of Mr. Cairo&#8221;. Donna Summer covered it in 1982. Same year the Thriller album was released.
However there is an early Billie Jean home demo recording from 1981. When you listen to the original Billie Jean demo (that my uncle wrote and produced without Quincy) you can hear that at least for Billie Jean, Quincy&#8217;s contribution was minuscule.
In fact, Quincy disliked Billie Jean so much that he didn&#8217;t want it on the Thriller album. Everyone knows that. I still respect Quincy&#8217;s contribution to the entertainment industry, but the fact that Billie Jean became my uncle Michael&#8217;s biggest hit and cemented him as a musical icon is probably the main reason Quincy might be salty. By the way, I love me some Donna Summer.

Open letter to Quincy Jones
Michael Gomes

Last updated on February 12, 2018 at 11.12 am

Let bygones be bygones. Let the dead RIP. That's a phrase that should right now be running in Quincy Jones' head. With all due respect to one of the greatest musicians and music producers of our times, I beg to differ with statements made by Quincy recently. In a conversation (with Vulture), Quincy has been ranting and raving about other legends from the musical fraternity. Mr Q (as he is fondly known in the industry) took pot shots at Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and some other celebs. In my honest opinion, Mr Q has 'lost it'.

Oh, Quincy, why are you raking up these issues now? Some of these artistes are not alive to defend themselves. So what's eating you? What is that you're not telling us? What's bothering you?

We already know that you have won a suit over royalties against Michael Jackson's estate last year when a jury in Los Angeles awarded you $9.4 million in damages over an issue about being underpaid for a share of royalties for the use of music in the Jackson film This Is It as well as two Cirque du Soleil shows.

Now, your teaming up with MJ was one of the most fruitful relationships in the history of pop music, a partnership that set the bar high and changed the face of pop forever. So why are you giving this historic pairing a bad name? Mr Q, you have to be more transparent and explain to music lovers why you didn't spill the beans about MJ's Machiavellian ways when the King of Pop created history in 1984 by becoming the first artiste to sweep the Grammys with a record haul of eight wins for Thriller. Why then are you now accusing him of stealing Billie Jean which you say is ripped off from a Donna Summer song. Were you not part of the Thriller process and turning MJ into a legend?

If you didn't hold him in such high esteem, then why was this your statement after his death: "To this day, the music we created together on Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad is played in every corner of the world and the reason for that is because he had it all... talent, grace, professionalism and dedication. He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him."

Let me tell you about the very song you have a bone to pick with. MJ was so confident of Billie Jean that he even went on record to say that, "A musician knows hit material. Everything has to feel in place. It fulfils you and it makes you feel good. That's how I felt about Billie Jean. I knew it was going to be when I was writing it."

It doesn't matter what inspired his song. What's wrong with a little inspiration from somewhere? Even you perhaps drew inspiration from the greats of your times.

You also said nasty things about Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock performance. You can't take away the fact that Jimi is as important to rock music as Andy Warhol is to pop art. The Beatles you said are not musicians. Every dance hall, radio station has danced to The Beatles' tunes, and in their heyday, they packed stadiums.

At 84, with six decades of experience and perhaps a mansion full of trophies and awards and scholarships to show, why do you need to make such loose statements? Then again, showbiz is all about being in the news, and by habit, we guess that's what you are doing! You're just trying to stay relevant in the times...

michael@khaleejtimes.com

So it&#8217;s obviously clear that MJ didn&#8217;t &#8220;steal&#8221; Billie Jean. There&#8217;s a very vague similarity between the BJ bass riff and the start of State of Independence, however as Taj Jackson has pointed out, this song was released in 1982, the same year as Billie Jean and is a cover of another song where that supposed ripped off bass riff isn&#8217;t even present. MJs demo of Billie Jean was in 1981.

State of Independence was also produced by Quincy. So clearly he had no issue with it at the time?

This is sure not true. Currently he sat down with Quincy to discuss a muscial about Michael and Jaafar in Michael`s role. He can dance and sing like Michael according to Jones. Jermaine even calls Jones in the time of the trial with the Estate and said to Jones that the Jackson-famiiy stands behind him.

In fact Jermaine had a long list of working against Michael not starting with the "Too bad song". He might be even lucky now because he is so jealous about Michael. How does Jermaine say. Michael was the lucky one of the familiy, it could easily be him. It didn`t stop with Michael`s death.

dmehta;4216463 said:
So it&#8217;s obviously clear that MJ didn&#8217;t &#8220;steal&#8221; Billie Jean. There&#8217;s a very vague similarity between the BJ bass riff and the start of State of Independence, however as Taj Jackson has pointed out, this song was released in 1982, the same year as Billie Jean and is a cover of another song where that supposed ripped off bass riff isn&#8217;t even present. MJs demo of Billie Jean was in 1981.

State of Independence was also produced by Quincy. So clearly he had no issue with it at the time?

I mentioned the dates the other day and was asking if anyone knows when each were actually recorded!! Anyone know?

I mentioned the dates the other day and was asking if anyone knows when each were actually recorded!! Anyone know?

Original State Of Independence was released in July 1981 on The Friends of Mr Cairo album.

Michael wrote Billie Jean sometime in 1981 (probably after July). Maybe someone knows the exact date or month?

Donna Summer's cover of State Of Independence was released on July 19, 1982 on Donna Summer album. That album was recorded after The Girl Is Mine and ET Storybook sessions and before Thriller sessions.

Billie Jean was released in November 30, 1982 on Thriller album.

Back