Quincy Jones' New Interview

A vague, half-ass apology. Seriously, a third party was required for him to realize what he did was disrespectful? To me, the whole disposition of that 'apology' makes it quite apparent that he still feels he was right in his false assertions. SMH.

I'm seeing some fans saying, 'oh well, Michael would forgive him, why can't you?' uhhh... this man, whom Michael had a huge respect for as a producer and colleague, continues to dismiss Michael's personal struggles and has now moved to taking a dump on his artistry. I don't know if Q knows but he's slowly ruining his legacy with his drivel and all. At this point there really is no turning back, especially if he's been disingenuous about it.

uglybeating.gif

Last edited:
People have moved on, more talk about Richard Pryor info over MJ sh1t talking news... People have ears and can hear the two songs and clearly come up with there own opinion..

State of I ndependance does not make Billie Jean any less magical.. I think we can move on like everyone else has

People have moved on, more talk about Richard Pryor info over MJ sh1t talking news...
People have ears and can hear the two songs and clearly come up with their own opinion..

State of Independance does not make Billie Jean any less magical.. I think we can move on like everyone else has

Moving on is good for the soul and I can do that, of course; but at the same time, I will never accept that Billie Jean came from State of Independence. They are nothing alike. They are not even in the same key. If a song has to be slowed down and one has to strain their ears to find a resemblance, then the resemblance just isn't there. The fact that Q said this rubbish about Michael Jackson's most well-known and iconic song, did not escape my attention. It feels purposeful, to me.

Mikky,

Totally agree.. the songs are not alike, and that's the best part of this. People with ears see this as another demonstration of BS around mike.. another reminder not to listen to what's out there about him.

Quincy just made himself easier to dismiss when he speaks.

"Boy bye"

Well you can't deny the slight similarity in the way the synth bassline melody plays in "State of Independence" to the one in "Billie Jean". Actually the people with ears for details do hear that. It's not the same, but a similar melody. It's very far fetched to say "Billie Jean" was stolen as a whole though.

Well you can't deny the slight similarity in the way the synth bassline melody plays in "State of Independence" to the one in "Billie Jean". Actually the people with ears for details do hear that. It's not the same, but a similar melody. It's very far fetched to say "Billie Jean" was stolen as a whole though.

The issue is the bassline is not the song, as a whole. The comments on YouTube point out that if you slow down Donna's song, you hear Billie Jean's bassline at the start...which is not exactly true - Donna's song is B major and MJ's song is F# minor and again, if one has to slow something right down, in order to hear similarities, then it isn't that similar, to begin with.

Bitter AF. He needs to get over not doing Dangerous.

People say Michael was childlike but Quincy is like a spoiled brat.

Quincy has worked hard through his life but it'll be all forgotten if he keeps up his bad behaviour.

The issue is the bassline is not the song, as a whole. The comments on YouTube point out that if you slow down Donna's song, you hear Billie Jean's bassline at the start...which is not exactly true - Donna's song is B major and MJ's song is F# minor and again, if one has to slow something right down, in order to hear similarities, then it isn't that similar, to begin with.

I hear the similarities of the basslines by listening to the songs as they are. Speed and key don't matter. It's the order of notes in context - the melody. But I have somewhat trained ears in music production, so I'm talking for myself.

Some of you should get out of MJ-auto-defense-mode though. :D
I'm not saying Q is right. I think what he said is far fetched and he said that from the point of view of a music producer. He should have gone deeper into details with this, but it was no music geek interview.

Last edited:
He needs to get over not doing Dangerous.

I don't think that's the case. I think the one thing that he doesn't get over is that his work with Michael overshadows all of his other work. While he'll be forever mainly be remembered as the "MJ producer", he already was a jazz genius before he ever met Michael. It's kind of like Michael struggling to get over the success of Thriller with later works. Though of course he wouldn't hate on himself about it. :D

I don't see Quincy 'dwelling on not doing Dangerous'.. He knows they created history and rides that into the sunset!

what he said makes me want to ride my boot up where the sun don't shine though...

Q has nothing to prove, he was MJs most influencial producer. MJ admired him and learned from him! Together they worked like magic. But now, Q is an old man and should not be doing interviews like the recent ones.

BTW what happens with the Orah-IV with Quincy regarding his birthday.
When will it air. On Michaels birthday, lol.

Quincy Jones TV Tribute Scrapped by CBS

The show had not confirmed talent in time to meet the 85th birthday theme, sources say.

By Variety Staff

CREDIT: Invision/AP/REX/Shutterstock

UPDATED: Plans for a Grammy-related CBS all-star special to celebrate legendary producer Quincy Jones’ 85th birthday have been scrapped, a source confirms to Variety. The source added that Jones’ company was shopping the company independently of CBS and the Recording Academy, and may have gotten a positive initial reception from BET.

While initial reports said that veteran producer Don Mischer would helm the special instead of longtime Grammy EP Ken Ehrlich, a source says Ehrlich is on board. Oprah Winfrey, Will Smith and Eddie Murphy reportedly are among the artists who earlier committed to the special.

The news of the CBS split was first reported on Deadline.com.

Jones — a veteran composer and producer who has worked with artists ranging from Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles to Miles Davis, but most famously Michael Jackson’s hot streak of “Off the Wall,” “Thriller” and “Bad” — was lined up for an all-star special along the lines of recent Grammy/CBS ones for Elton John, the Beatles and Stevie Wonder, with his 85th birthday as the theme. But the source confirms that CBS and the Academy pulled the plug after two talent-confirmation deadlines passed without enough superstars of sufficient caliber, and the end of 2018 loomed (which would spoil the 85th-birthday angle). The special was never officially announced by the network.

In a joint statement, CBS and the Academy said: “We were very excited about the opportunity to honor Quincy Jones with a dedicated music special. He’s an incredible and beloved artist who has contributed so much to music and entertainment. Although our collective passion and will for the project was there, due to scheduling issues, the stars weren’t aligned to bring the project to fruition.”

A rep for Jones did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

It also remains unclear what impactcontroversial interview Jones gave to New York magazine earlier this year — in which he claimed without evidence that he knew who killed John F. Kennedy; that Michael Jackson stole many of his hit songs; and that Marlon Brando had had sex with Richard Pryor, James Baldwin, and Marvin Gaye — might have had on potential stars’ participation in the special; the source said it had no impact on CBS’ decision. Jones subsequently apologized for the interview.

A Netflix documentary on Jones, directly by his daughter Rashida, is scheduled to premiere on Sept. 21.

Last edited:
There is a new Netflix documantary about Quincy which I am watching right now and when you see how many healthproblems he has had in recent years I think that kind of explains the things he said in interviews.

Last edited:
His son Quincy III used to be a member of the jury in the swedish version of idol a couple of years ago and he only said positive things about MJ and then there were clips with Quincy himself he only said positive things himself and did not sound bitter at all like he did in the interwievs, https://youtu.be/fCIbqspjfzM

He says that he used to play in Michaels house. He was a really niece and humble person. The last time he met MJ was at his fathers house. MJ and Quincy had arrenged a meeting for the first time in many years. MJ wanted to do documentarys about dance. It was not long before he died but he was the same person as he alsays had been, almost to nice.

Last edited:
Back