Quincy Jones reflects on Thriller (Billboard Magazine) ALL THREADS MERGED

TSCM

Proud Member
In the January 12, 2008 publication of Billboard Magazine, Quincy Jones briefly reflects on the production of Thriller and the experience behind it.

---
Billboard Magazine
January 12, 2008

Thriller time - Remembering a historic recording, 25 years later.

I've made three complete trips around the world in the last 18 months and at every club I visited, at peak hour, when they finish all the other things, they go and play "Thriller." I'm happy about it, but it startles me. Twenty five years--that's a long time for a record to still be a part of the everyday swinger's set.

Before we started on "Thriller," I was working on Donna Summer's second Geffen album. I thought it would take four months, but it went seven. In the middle of it, we took a break, and Jackson and I went to Tucson, Arizona, to Paul McCartney's house to do "The Girl Is Mine" because that was the only time he was in town. By the time I finished Summer's record, we only had eight weeks to do "Thriller." Sometimes that's better. You don't have time to sit there and get paralysis from analysis. You just go with your best instincts.

So we had three studios going at once and something going on every day and night. In the back room they were singing through cardboard pipes on "Billie Jean," and we had Eddie Van Halen in the other room, which was amazing.

I was begging Jackson for a black rock'n'roll song and he came up with "Beat It," which was crying out for Van Halen. Vincent Price was perfect casting for the rap on "Thriller." He's the personification of horror, and he did it in two takes because he's a serious pro.

If you listen to God's whispers, the whispers tell you what to do. Of course, none of it would have been possible without my A-Team: Rod Temperton, Bruce Swedien, Jerry Hey, Greg Phillinganes and everyone else that contributed. There's nothing better than creative collaboration. It was exciting because we were very adventuresome then and unafraid. I don't think anything like "Thriller" will ever happen again. Being involved in a record like that is a major, major gift from God.
---

Source: MJJR.net / Billboard Magazine

Re: Quincy Jones reflects on Thriller (Billboard Magazine)

Thanks for Quincy Jones for "Thriller" and other collaborations.

However, we must have not forget his other reflects of "Thriller" creation time:

Quincy Jones' quote from May said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quincy-jones/-god-will-walk-out-of-the_b_595.html

God Will Walk Out of the Room

Caught a little of the Elvis movie on TV. The kid from Dublin playing him was good; had the moves down.

It got me to thinking about fame and massive success and about how some people can handle it -- and how for others it can be the most destructive thing in the world.

It got me to thinking about Michael -- and how difficult it is to watch what’s going on with him now.

When we made “Thriller”, he was the most beautiful person in the world. Just a beautiful little brother. And you can’t help but wonder if things happened too fast, or does success of this magnitude become emotionally unmanageable?

All I know is that, on their own, human beings are not programmed to be able to handle that much fame, that much adulation, that much success. The only way to deal with something that overwhelming -- even overwhelming success -- is if you are spiritually centered.

If you believe that you deserve all that money and adulation, that’s a problem. If you believe you don’t deserve it, that’s also a problem. And if you don’t understand this, you’re in trouble.

I’ve been in the business 57 years and I’ve seen it over and over again. It’s all about trusting a higher power; believing in divinity. It’s about cause and manifestation. Cause being God’s job, manifestation clearly being our job. The moment success leads you to say, “I’ll take it from here, God,” God’s reply will be, “Be my guest.” And God will walk out of the room.

The only way to navigate that road is to have humility and grace.

Those are the two cardinal rules. You must approach creativity with humility and have grace when you’re blessed with success.

Lets not forget how Jones talked about Michael when he already had child-friends, playrooms, chimp and surgery:

Quincy Jones' quote from 1984 said:
Here's how producer Quincy Jones, who has spent hundreds of hours in the studio with Michael, speaks about the young entertainer: "He's the most on-the-case person I've ever met. He can appear shy and fragile, but he has a strong vision and that's what is unique about him. He can maintain innocence and still have the wisdom of a 70-year-old man."

-- no word about Michael losing humility.

Last edited:

Other fans said it better than myself on QJ's reflections of "Thriller" and collaborations with Michael:

It's not like Michael's fame happened suddenly and over-night. The fame Michael incurred as a result of Thriller was something he had been working toward since he was 5 years old. Michael had already been a star since he was at least 10. If Michael was still a "beautiful little brother" by the time they were recording Thriller, his psyche wasn't going to change suddenly at 26 because of the success of the album. If Michael Jackson's ego was going to go out of control, it would have when he was 10 years old and knocking the Beatles out of the number one spot. And then he'd be Corey Feldman, but he is obviously anything but.

Quincy likes to feed into this popular perception within the music industry and media that Michael became irrelevant post-1983 (i.e. without Q), even though Q's senile mind seems to forget that he was involved in 1987's Bad, too. His so-called irrelevancy is supposedly a direct result of his "descent into madness" and that's bullshit. Listen to Michael's interviews from 17, from 27, from 37 and now when he's damn near 47...the person in those interviews hasn't changed. He sounds a little more defeated now, but the message is still the same.

Fame wasn't too much for Michael. The jealousy that people unleashed at him as a result of his fame and the maliciousness that he's been subject to since catapulting to phenomenal success might be, though.

i could spend the next week cracking quincy jones' touchy-feely "higher power" stuff but i wont...like i say: when assessing other's people's drama, always ALWAYS do so with your own drama in mind

it's definitely negative towards Michael. He's comparing Michael to Elvis, who was destroyed by success and excess, and clearly drawing a parallel. In interviews in the last few years, Jones has said that he hasn't had much contact with Michael for a while, so I think he has begun to see him as others do, through the lens of the media. I also think he's been under pressure to comment on the current situation, as someone who at one time had a strong association with Michael. So we get this. Stubborness and nonconformity are at the heart of Michael's creativity, though, as well as the roots of some of his problems, so trying to change him is wrongheaded. I think it's dishonorable to attack an old friend when he's down.

I agree MaryFlint. And Quincy ought to be the last person to question Mike's feelings about his heritage. He's been married and engaged to only white women his entire life (with the exception of Siedah Garrett who says he was a horrible boyfriend). And just what makes him holier than thou all of a sudden?

Rockingwithyou said:
Question for Quincy: why don't you share a little wealth with your children????
Couldn't Tina use a little help? How about Kidada and QDIII? Don't be ackin like you're a great humanitarian while you have the worst repuation as a father

Great questions.

And you know I remember Kidada saying that she did not have a good relationship with her father. That might explain how she was nine years old and would always call Mike on the phone everyday. Hmm, I wouldn't be shocked if she called MJ "Daddy" and made Q jealous. Just saying.

Hmmm, sounds like Qs been hanging out with Oprah Winfrey a bit too much. ...

... the only person he's referring to is Michael. I don't think he's qualified to judge Michael's relationship with God.

... Quincy has no right in saying Michael Jackson isn't grateful, cause' to me it's pretty obvious he is. He also has said "It's not my work, it comes from above, it's God who sends it through me" Or something in that direction. Quincy was cool, but after reading this it seems to me he's just trying to use MJ's name, which I find rude. He didn't have to say that. Like "MJ was pretty, he isn't anymore" Isn't that basically what he said?

i respect QJ for being the hell of a producer that he is and for producing the Thriller masterpiece among others BUT i HATE to see him talking this way about michael.
makes u see what kind of person he really is actually. if u have such friends what do u need the enemies for ? its sad to see what backstabbing parasite hes become.
oh and as for him saying that michael aint beautiful anymore... has he seen his own self in the mirror before ? maybe a bit jealous? if not jealous then how long has it been since he last payed a visit to an eye doctor ?

MJ and Quincy - Your Views

Hey, fellow fans. How are you guys?

According to some reports, regarding Carlos Santana being interviewed on a TV show said, it has been revealed that Michael and Quincy are working together just like the old days. As I was reading fans' opinions on this team up (and mine's) I noticed that there are some fans who have (including me) an issue with Quincy.

As some of us know, Quincy was not exactly "supportive" of and to Michael during the awful trial. Quincy had said some things about MJ that questions his loyality towards Michael. He even went as far as saying, in a blog, that basically he does not know Michael that much anymore. (Or something like that. I am just going by memory.) However, the work that MJ and Q did together was wonderful and timeless. Some people have even said that MJ was not the same after Q stopped working with him.

So, I want to know what you guys truely think about Quincy and Michael working together? Do you guys think that it should happened so that you can "relive" the glory days like the Thriller and Bad eras? Or do you think that Quincy is the past and MJ needs to work either by himself or with other people? Or do you think that people need to let go of this MJ and Quincy praising and accept the fact that MJ wants nothing to do with Q and Q just wants to be in the media again talking about MJ.

Discuss this topic as honest as you can be and respect one another. Back up what you guys have to say.

Re: MJ and Quincy - Your Views

IMO Q doesnt deserve to even meet michael ever again let alone work with him. the guy has proved himself to be an as*hole and michael can do 1,000 times better by working with some hot today's producers. Q and michaels collaboration was good for as long as it lasted. its time to move on i think.

Last edited:

It would be honest and fair if Michael Jackson would learn about Quincy Jones' comments *before* supposed collaboration (Carlos Santana said about it recently).

May someone please forward Jones' reflections to Ms.Bain?

Since Jackson always positively commented on Quincy -- including times after 2005 -- this means he most probably does *not* know true nature of "father-like" relationship of Jones to Michael; please make him know.

Last edited:

Quincy really bothers me. While I will always cherish the fact that he helped Michael make thriller what it became, Quincy's attitude toward Michael tends to flucuate with the media climate. And I'm sure that he will rip Michael apart again if the media situation dictates. I don't care one way or the other. But Quincy needs to make up his mind where he stands when it comes to Michael. Either he is for Michael or against him. Because this going back and forth is making Quincy look silly to me. If he really has a beef with Michael, he needs to deal with it in private regardless instead of airing it out like that. It's nobody's business but his and Michael's anyway. Quincy's brilliant history with Michael doesn't count for anything the way he's trashing him at one point and praising him the next IMO. It makes it look cheap and fair-weatherish. Out of everybody who was around Michael, the one who was my favorite was Quincy. And I'm very disappointed that he would resort to the same "I'll jab at Michael Jackson and get mad hater pats on the back" attitude as the rest of them. And then he wants to act sweet as sugar when the media isn't aggressively tearing Michael up for a change. I actually found myself yesterday wanting it to be true that he and Michael were going to work together again. Now I'm sorry to say I hope it's not although Michael can do whatever he wants for the album with my full support. But my personal feeling is that Michael doesn't need anybody around him anymore smiling in his face and talking smack at his back.

Last edited:

Michael should NOT produce his own album cause he puts too much filler on them, If he works with Quincy not only will he get a crapload of good publicity, but Quincy will make sure that his new album is a solid one and no filler is present.

I think their partnership should be remembered. Not to be brought back up again.
I wouldn't mind a few bonous tracks from them, but as an album as a whole, think he should work with now people.

If he works with Quincy not only will he get a crapload of good publicity

Or it could back fire. e.g "MJ living in the past", "MJ trying to recreate thriller"

It would be honest and fair if Michael Jackson would learn about Quincy Jones' comments *before* supposed collaboration (Carlos Santana said about it recently).

May someone please forward Jones' reflections to Ms.Bain?

Since Jackson always positively commented on Quincy -- including times after 2005 -- this means he most probably does *not* know true nature of "father-like" relationship of Jones to Michael; please make him know.

and what if he already knows ? then whoever sends Mrs Bain an email about it will seem like a fool :lol: i think michael knows who his true friends are ;) if u've noticed hes commented positively on Q only as a music genius/producer not as a person. i havent heard him saying (the last few years at least) anything about Q as a person or how good friend he is to him. nothing like that. in the ebony interview for instance he only comments on how Q is as a producer and the whole atmosphere during creating the thriller album. i think michael has always seen berry gordy as a father-like figure NOT quincy

Why is he referring to Michael as "Jackson" all of a sudden? Strange and I love how he gave the producers all the credit (which they deserve) but not Mike. What is up with that? I didn't like that article to be honest b/c it seemed to me like Q did not want to give MJ credit at all.

Last edited:

I think their partnership should be remembered. Not to be brought back up again.
I wouldn't mind a few bonous tracks from them, but as an album as a whole, think he should work with now people.

Or it could back fire. e.g "MJ living in the past", "MJ trying to recreate thriller"

Well people need to make up their damn minds then because I always hear people saying things like "Michael was better when he was Quincy, after he stopped working with Q his music went downhill", etc. so finally they might actually be working together and people are going to complain? &%^# 'em I say.

It's a good PR stunt. And maybe they produce one song and Michael doesn't think it's good enough to be on the new album. :D

I think Michael is aware of Q's jealousy. Michael is being the bigger person is all.

Well I don't know if Q is jealous, but he does seem bitter to me.

I very much doubt "the fact that MJ wants nothing to do with [Quincy] and [Quincy] just wants to be in the media again talking about MJ."

I believe their fondness for each other goes deep, but a lot of "life" has happened between the time of Thriller and now. They went off and did their own things and were not as close because they did not have much contact with each other, as can happen when paths separate; but I think there will always be sentiment between them for the special times and acheivements they shared in the past.

As far a musically, I think it is obvious that they respect each other greatly. Would they not view it a special opportunity if they could work on something together after all these years...maybe one last time? I realize that Quincy at first had stated that he is too busy with many projects of his own and that he has already done the whole work with Michael Jackson thing. But with the thrill or Thriller all in the air, once again...and maybe after a few conversations with MJ, Quincy caught a "little bug" sort of speak and became open. Michael Jackson recognizes that Quincy will always bring a lot to the table when producing a song, because Mr. Jones is a gifted producer, and MJ appreciates at the same time that Quincy "leaves room for God." Why not have these two get together in a studio and see if they can whip up some magic once again? If it happens, wonderful, it's God...but whatever, how awesome that they can once again play around a little bit with their ideas and enjoy themselves and reminisce, and see what comes out of it. We might just very well be the ones to benefit from it. ;)

Last edited:

If it is actually true, we'll have no choice but to accept it, because at the end of the day, the decision is not ours. It is Michael's.

That mess that Quincy was saying during the trial had me fuming. I really felt it was messed up, and I still feel it was messed up.

If it's true that they've decided to pair up again, I just really hope Quincy will stop saying the success of Thriller cannot happen again. Thinking this way will cripple the new project.

Michael is aiming high again, and he is not afraid to do so. Quincy will just have to step back and let him aim. It's not Quincy that was being beaten up on for over a decade for no valid reason. It was Michael.

If it's true that they are pairing up, Quincy will need to leave the pessimism at the door. Optimism is the call of the hour.

Last edited:

Why is he referring to Michael as "Jackson" all of a sudden? Strange and I love how he gave the producers all the credit (which they deserve) but not Mike. What is up with that? I didn't like that article to be honest b/c it seemed to me like Q did not want to give MJ credit at all.

Exactly, that what I was thinking " why is he all of a sudden referring Michael as "Jackson"?" he usto to either call him Michael (with sincerity) or smelly (MJs nickname lol) apparently they are on different paths now, I just don't understand why Quincy decided to "separate" himself from Mike? I mean they were/seemed very close, quincy has even stated that "Michael was like a son to him" then out of the blue he claims that "he doesn't know who Michael is anymore"? it's sad, what's up with quincy?

If it is actually true, we'll have no choice but to accept it, because at the end of the day, the decision is not ours. It is Michael's.

That mess that Quincy was saying during the trial had me fuming. I really felt it was messed up, and I still feel it was messed up.

If it's true that they've decided to pair up again, I just really hope Quincy will stop saying the success of Thriller cannot happen again. Thinking this way will cripple the new project.

Michael is aiming high again, and he is not afraid to do so. Quincy will just have to step back and let him aim. It's not Quincy that was being beaten up on for over a decade for no valid reason. It was Michael.

If it's true that they are pairing up, Quincy will need to leave the pessimism at the door. Optimism is the call of the hour.
Quincy Jones did not expect much from Thriller either. He underestimated Michael. I read somewhere that he checked himself into a clinic in South America because he suffered from a nervous breakdown because of the shock.
I heard also that it was Michael that was not at all happy with the production of Thriller and refused to allow it until it was redone. Michael also said that it was going to sell more that 50 mil, and quincy laughed at him. That,of course, never happened before. I believe MJ can do it again and that he will. If quincy is working with MJ again, he'd better get prepared for it this time, or else his return to a mental hospital may be much longer this time around.:lol:

Last edited:

^ maybe he suffers from amnesia

:lol:

Yep! He sure better get prepared. This Michael is stronger than the Michael that he worked with the last time. This Michael has been through the fire.

Hey, fellow fans. How are you guys?

According to some reports, regarding Carlos Santana being interviewed on a TV show said, it has been revealed that Michael and Quincy are working together just like the old days. As I was reading fans' opinions on this team up (and mine's) I noticed that there are some fans who have (including me) an issue with Quincy.

As some of us know, Quincy was not exactly "supportive" of and to Michael during the awful trial. Quincy had said some things about MJ that questions his loyality towards Michael. He even went as far as saying, in a blog, that basically he does not know Michael that much anymore. (Or something like that. I am just going by memory.) However, the work that MJ and Q did together was wonderful and timeless. Some people have even said that MJ was not the same after Q stopped working with him.

So, I want to know what you guys truely think about Quincy and Michael working together? Do you guys think that it should happened so that you can "relive" the glory days like the Thriller and Bad eras? Or do you think that Quincy is the past and MJ needs to work either by himself or with other people? Or do you think that people need to let go of this MJ and Quincy praising and accept the fact that MJ wants nothing to do with Q and Q just wants to be in the media again talking about MJ.

Discuss this topic as honest as you can be and respect one another. Back up what you guys have to say.
Personally I think it's great, despite what personal feelings I may have about Q. Musically and professionally, there is no better match.

Good topic starter Bee.

Yep! He sure better get prepared. This Michael is stronger than the Michael that he worked with the last time. This Michael has been through the fire.
Absolutely. I have learned never to underestimate Michael Joseph Jackson. I don't even speculate on what he is about to do, I just wait. Quincy had better get with the prgramme. This is no joke. The whole world is watching and waiting like never before.:eek:

it's like a product that you buy from the store. it may be your fav product, but it still has an expiration date. however, in my experience, some of my products that i bought, have lasted past the expiration date. what i'm saying is....i think some people are overrating quincy, simply because of the success of thriller. quincy may still be good for MJ today but there is NO guarantee of that.

and MJ made quincy, despite quincy being around longer. it's possible, you know. but there is no doubt about the tremendous contribution that quincy made to off the wall, thriller and bad. but MJ is the executive producer, at heart, of all of them.

and this bit about MJ's music going downhill, at any point in his career post quincy is bull sh... MJ's quality has remained superior to this day. there are way to many fans on way to many websites, today. and that alone refutes the complaints about the quality of his latter music. not to mention the fact that he's living comfortably, today.

Last edited:

I too was gutted at Quincy's remarks but hey! he's entitled to his opinion even if it was in bad taste.
I feel that Michael should work with anyone he feels he can make great music with. With the success of 'Thriller' they've been there done that and I don't think anyone (including Mike and Quincy) could ever surpass that amazing feat (It HAS gone down in history) I do believe they can still produce super great music together and thats really what it's about now, just coming up with the best that he can and being happy with it.

^ maybe he suffers from amnesia

something is strange that's for sure. Now according to Carlos Santana they are working together again. Why would Q be calling Michael "Jackson" if they're friends again??

Best of Both worlds the Original Dream Team.

now Michael Jackson was a raw burst of talent who needed a ear to balance out his Genius and to Properly give him the right material and too trim the fat.

Quincy Jones needed a artist who was young and had the right type of style to match what he wanted to accomplish.

they were a unstoppable team and needed one another. the stars were set in place to make that match up work. a Pop/R&b Act with a Jazz Arranger and Producer?? I mean who saw that coming??

in truth nobody else has Produced better for MJ than Quincy IMO. now there have been good to great songs since Q left, but there has also been Album filler IMO. I think them together were unbeatable.

old school folks refer to people by there last name. nothing new. they didn't part on the best of terms and MJ moved on. there might still be some tension there,but then again Quincy has always left some folks numb and he has had his moments with other artists.donna Summers and Q didn't exactly remain buddy,buddy per se. same thing with Aretha Franklin amongest others.

Back