Rabbi Shmuley Re: Martin Bashir's latest scandal [Update] Bashir Resigns from MSNBC

HIStory

Proud Member
I know we have our reservations about Shmuley but he's right here. And I'm not surprised Bashir is again in a scandal about unethical behaviour.

Source: The New York Observer – By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
Slander of Sarah Palin Echoes Mistreatment of Michael Jackson

MSNBC host Martin Bashir recently apologized for one of the most offensive remarks ever uttered on an American TV news program, insinuating that Sarah Palin, “America’s resident dunce,” and “world-class idiot,” be defecated and urinated on.

Even those who despise Gov. Palin agreed that Bashir had entered a place so repulsive that his reputation might never return.

Yesterday, he said he was sorry and I am someone who believes in granting forgiveness. I trust that Mrs. Palin will do so and move on.

Unfortunately, Mr. Bashir is developing a pattern of unethical behavior that is deeply troubling. And there is lasting damage for previous incidents for which he has yet to apologize, most notably with regards to Michael Jackson.

Among those of us who knew Michael and prayed that he would get his life together, the mention of Martin Bashir’s name evokes contempt.

One of Mr. Bashir’s producers had initially contacted me in about 2000 to pitch a documentary about Michael’s life. I told Michael about it and strongly advised him to decline. “Your life’s not ready to be opened to the public.” I argued that for Michael to be in good physical and emotional health should be a precursor to any elective, much less extensive, public exposure. At the time, Michael seemed lethargic and unfocused. Besides, he was already famous enough and didn’t need this documentary.

Three years later, Mr. Bashir’s documentary Living With Michael Jackson appeared. Mr. Bashir had gone through a different friend of Michael’s who had introduced the two and a deal was made. The documentary depicted Michael as excessively materialistic with a seemingly bizarre relationship with a boy. Mr. Bashir called Michael’s Neverland Ranch a “dangerous place” for children. Mr. Bashir’s voice-over expressed uneasiness about what he viewed as an apparent obsession with children and pledged to confront Michael on certain areas of his life that Bashir found disconcerting.

What was not absolutely not right was Martin Bashir’s deception. What later emerged from footage Michael’s own cameraman took of Mr. Bashir’s conversations with Michael was the interviewer pretending to adore Michael’s unusual lifestyle, parenting and care for other children so as to gain the singer’s trust. What also seemed to emerge was Mr. Bashir using only that material which supported an unflattering image of Michael, prompting even The New York Times to criticize Bashir’s documentary as “callous self-interest masked as sympathy.”

During the 2005 trial involving allegations against Michael, Mr. Bashir was nearly held in contempt of court for refusing to answer questions about deceiving or manipulating Michael for the purposes of his documentary. Mr. Bashir declined to comment on such basic inquiries such as whether Michael signed documents in the presence of a lawyer and how many hours of footage were omitted from the documentary.

Of course, what made Mr. Bashir’s reputation was his interview with Princess Diana in 1995 about her failed marriage to Prince Charles. There are allegations that Mr. Bashir used the same deceptive techniques, feigning support for Diana in order to earn her trust. But at least in that case we have no actual footage of Bashir being two-faced.

Martin Bashir has never been held accountable for pretending to care for Michael in order to persuade him to open up, while all along, it seems his intention was to enhance his own reputation by burying Michael’s. A weird Michael Jackson was going to be a lot more saleable than a mostly normal yet highly eccentric performer. And let’s not forget that Michael faced trial over the boy who appeared in the documentary but was acquitted on all 10 felony and 4 misdemeanor charges.
I want to make it clear that I strongly disagree with Sarah Palin’s comparisons between the national debt and slavery. It was a misinformed and unfortunate comment. But the fact that it evoked such horrible hatred from Martin Bashir should give us pause about a man who seems ready to trample on basic decency in order to get ahead.

http://observer.com/2013/11/rabbi-shmuley-martin-bashir-has-more-apologizing-to-do/

UPDATE Basir Resigns /Team MJJC

Dec 4, 2013
Just over two weeks ago, MSNBC host
Martin Bashir delivered a harsh piece of commentary that culminated in the suggestion that someone should “s-h-i-t” in former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin‘s (R-AK) mouth. Bashir offered an abject apology on his next broadcast, but a chorus of critics continued to demand action against the host. After a reported “vacation” for the host earlier this week, Bashir announced, in a statement to MediaiteWednesday afternoon, that MSNBC and Martin Bashir are parting ways.

Here’s the statement to Mediaite, from Martin Bashir, via email:After making an on-air apology, I asked for permission to take some additional time out around the Thanksgiving holiday.

Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the President of MSNBC, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues, at this special network, will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments.

I deeply regret what was said, will endeavor to work hard at making constructive contributions in the future and will always have a deep appreciation for our viewers – who are the smartest, most compassionate and discerning of all television audiences. I would also wish to express deepest gratitude to my immediate colleagues, and our contributors, all of whom have given so much of themselves to our broadcast.’

MSNBC will be issuing a statement shortly.

Update: MSNBC released Bashir’s statement, plus the following statement from MSNBC President Phil Griffin:“Martin Bashir resigned today, effective immediately. I understand his decision and I thank him for three great years with msnbc. Martin is a good man and respected colleague – we wish him only the best.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/martin-ba...ns-from-msnbc/

Re: Rabbi Shmuley about Martin Bashir's latest scandal (Michael related)

Here we go.Bash*t up to his old,greedy,dirty,swine tricks again.

I hate what he did to Michael. I don't know how he lives with himself. I don't understand how people like that go on like they did nothing. They have no soul.

It might be wrong but I've held a grudge against MSNBC for ever rewarding him with a job there for what he did to Michael... If Living With MJ never happened, he would have never landed that roll...

It was his roll in ruining Michael.. and I DO believe if it was not for the events LWMJ caused, Michael could have been here today!

Karma is catching up to that ass. This Sarah Palin thing has hit the world media circuit with force. I'd be surprised if he doesn't lose his show in the immediate future because of this.

The guy is a disgrace to humanity.

gif-jail-sigh-gif.gif

Great article!! At least he apologized to her. Michael never got an apology. I guess he apologized because he tried to trample on a "white" woman, and the big boys did not like it. It is a pity no one made similar outcries, when Michael was involved.

I thank the rabbi for speaking out, and yes this time he is doing the right thing. The rabbi helped in our efforts to have Michael vindicated, when he brought up Bashit's unethical behavior with the Living..documentary, and pointed out that Michael was acquitted.

KOPV I feel your sentiments about MSNBC. It is like rewarding a human for being inhuman to another human, which is basically what happened. He pulled a vile and nasty trick against a citizen and got rewarded for it in terms of money. Bashit's behavior makes me nervous for his children, because I believe that parents' behavior can impact on the life experiences of their children/grandchildren. I hope he takes a good look at his actions in crushing others to move ahead, and "make that change" as Michael sang in Man in the Mirror.

Last edited:

Martin Bashir is such an assho*e! He shouldn't have gotten away with what he did to Michael (although he did), and he shouldn't get away with this.

I didn't vote for McCain/Palin and I would never vote for Palin because I don't agree with her stand on many issues, but Bashir went way too far.

Just watch this smug idiot. Everyone should inundate MSNBC with complaints and DEMAND he be fired because they are very offended by his words. Oh, he's apologized already, but it's fake because he was forced into it and threatened with job loss. Well, it's time he lose his job.

Now he's crying around trying to get people to forgive him.:puke:

Here is their email. Give them a shout out. msnbctvinfo@nbcuni.com

Last edited:

^^I don't even want to look at his fake apology. All I want to hear is that he is on his way to Kennedy airport for flight to London.

^^I don't even want to look at his fake apology. All I want to hear is that he is on his way to Kennedy airport for flight to London.

Well, click on that email and let them know he's got to go. I've already emailed them and told them I will never watch their channel again as long as he's there. Time for some payback.

Last edited:

I'm glad he apologized to Palin but that doesn't calm my anger against him for deceiving Michael. His actions almost caused Michael to go to jail. I wish someday he comes clean but he's a coward. But I have no doubt that his time will come & he will have to pay for all the pain he caused.

Bashir will never change

glad palin got her apology, but gosh how I wish Michael could get the apology he so rightfully deserves.

I swear this man is evil.. What is taking so long for him to get what is coming to him? he has been doing this type of mess for far too long. He basically killed our MJ for his false lies and butchering up that documentary. His lies hurt MJ badly and he has to know it but he doesn't care. I seriously think he's a sociopath too. He has no conscience.

Last edited:

So Martin Bashir is a POS. Nothing we didn't already know.

I'm no fan of Palin, but I sincerely hope he finds himself at the receiving end of that suggestion IRL.

I believe in forgiveness also, but I believe it should only be granted to people who are genuinely regretful, not those seeking to do damage control.

Fake rabbi and bashir are two peas in a pod

I am so sorry that he came out of Britain. He should be put on a flight and end his days in the back streets of Calcutta. Dear Michael never said a bad word about anybody.

Its just all about the money for Bashir... hes just being selfish. I know Michael already forgive him but MJs fans will never forgive him though....

Bashir is a sociopath. Karma needs to come calling again.

It seems like Bashir gets stuck recanting his statements or "clarifying" his intent often... straight SNAKE!

I am so sorry that he came out of Britain. He should be put on a flight and end his days in the back streets of Calcutta.

Why should Martin Bashir go back to Calcutta?!! He's English. Sorry, but the remark sounds kind of racist...

Here's an article from FoxNews, Nov. 18th. It suggests that Bashit is still tolerated at NBC (still has his job)after his horrible comments b/c Palin is a target that is acceptable to go after. I think the author raises some good points and also explains what was said by both Palin and Bashit, which I didn't know before. Bashit has really gone too far. His comments were incredibly disgusting. Let's hope he's out soon and back in the UK. I am sending an email to NBC asking them to fire his ass.

"Martin Bashir apologizes for dirty, disgusting slam at Sarah Palin
Howard Kurtz

When I first saw a headline about what Martin Bashir said, I figured it must be exaggerated.

No responsible cable news host would call for defecating on a public figure. That’s just beyond the pale, right?

But that’s exactly what Bashir did on his MSNBC show, while spewing venom at Sarah Palin.

He made an abject apology yesterday, and we’ll get to that in a moment.

I’ve long been amazed by Bashir’s brand of name-calling. He despises Republicans, we get it. But the highly personal nature of his assaults, while delivered in an erudite British accent, stands out even by the loose standards of cable news.

This guy was a co-anchor of “Nightline” when he was at ABC, but was apparently seething with liberal resentment that we now see displayed daily on his weekday show. MSNBC once suspended Ed Schultz for calling Laura Ingraham a “right-wing slut”; why on earth does it tolerate Bashir's brand of bile?

Bashir once said that the NRA “deserves to be equated with Hitler,” so he’s practiced at incendiary comparisons.

What happened last week is that Bashir used his hatred of Palin—calling her the country’s “resident dunce” and a “world-class idiot”—to descend deeper into the gutter than I ever thought he’d go.

Now the issue on which he went after the former Alaska governor and Fox News contributor is fair game. Palin had spoken in Iowa of borrowing from China to pay for the national debt, saying: “This isn’t racist. But it’s going to be like slavery when that note is due.”

Lots of people didn’t approve of Palin likening government borrowing to the awful legacy of buying and selling African-Americans.

But Bashir chose to tell his audience of the diary of a plantation overseer in Jamaica named Thomas Thistlewood.

“In 1756, he records that a slave named Darby ‘catched eating kanes had him well flogged and pickled, then made Hector, another slave, sh** in his mouth.’

“This became known as ‘Darby’s Dose,’ a punishment invented by Thistlewood that spoke only of inhumanity. And he mentions a similar incident in 1756, his time in relation to a man he refers to as Punch. ‘Flogged punch well, and then washed and rubbed salt pickle, lime juice and bird pepper, made Negro Joe piss in his eyes and mouth.’”

And that brings Bashir to his disgusting denouement: “When Mrs. Palin invokes slavery, she doesn’t just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, she would be the outstanding candidate.”

That’s right. Wrapped in the language of literary allegory, Bashir is saying he’d like to see someone assault and abuse Sarah Palin in this horrifying fashion.

And no one at MSNBC bats an eye? This is deemed acceptable discourse?

What would MSNBC say if a conservative had talked about defecating on, say, Hillary Clinton?

In his televised apology, directed to both Palin and to viewers, Bashir said his remarks were “unworthy” and “deeply offensive,” and that he is “deeply sorry.” He said he wished he had been “more thoughtful” and “more compassionate.” He said “the politics of vitriol and destruction is a miserable place to be and a miserable person to become,” and promised to learn a lesson.

An abject apology is all well and good. But as Mediaite’s Joe Concha writes, invoking MSNBC President Phil Griffin: “Could you imagine if Neil Cavuto or Jake Tapper, who occupy the same timeslot on Fox and CNN, respectively, suggested anyone s*it in anyone’s mouth on national television, as Bashir did last week?

“And it’s not as he’s killing it in the ratings. Day after day, Bashir easily owns the lowest-rated show in his timeslot among the big three. If Griffin were smart, he’d use this episode as an excuse to get rid of Bashir.”

MSNBC rightfully suspended Alec Baldwin for two weeks for hurling an anti-gay slur at a photographer. But the corporate attitude is different because Palin is the target?

This is nothing short of shameful, as even Martin Bashir now seems to recognize."

Bashir is awful...

I'm no fan of Palin, but I sincerely hope he finds himself at the receiving end of that suggestion IRL.

I'm no fan of Palin either. But she didn't deserve to be talked about like that.

Last edited:

I emailed MSNBC and demand that he be fired. Anyone else take a few minutes and do it too?

From what I can see, there are so many articles now launched against this guy to be fired, I would be shocked if he wasn't.

http://patdollard.com/2013/11/petition-launched-to-stop-sexist-martin-bashirs-war-on-women/

Take a few minutes to email them and demand his termination.

Yes, I just emailed them as well and demanded he be fired. Here is what I wrote:

"I am appalled that Martin Bashir has still not been fired after his truly disgusting comments made on MSNBC last Friday in reference to Sarah Palin.

These hateful and sickeningly graphic comments regarding the appropriateness of people urinating and defecating in someone's mouth do NOT belong on national TV. Why does this have to be pointed out to you?? Have you no shame? no conscience? No standards on your show that this type of comment gets a pass after a mere apology?

What he said must be forcefully condemned by firing him. Don't we have enough hatred on the comments sections of so many websites without it being sanctioned by the official 'newscasters' who represent the networks??

Sincerely,"

Here is the email address: msnbctvinfo@nbcuni.com

Let's get rid of this scumbag.

Martin Bashir contributed in a major way to what happendd in June 2009. I hope he get what he deserves although I doubt it. He is a parasite and pathetic excuse of a human being.

Here is an excellent response to the Bashit mess--the best I've read so far. I really think he could be toast soon (google has over 150 news stories on this). His behavior is called 'psychotic" in the article.

"Message to Martin Bashir: Words Hurt
November 19, 2013 By Rebecca Hamilton

I am confused.
I do not understand the depth of hatred that so many people with microphones and word processors evidently feel toward Sarah Palin.
Many of them disagree with her opinions. I disagree with quite a few of her opinions.
But I don’t feel any desire to use this blog to call her names or degrade her as a human being or (God forbid) say things that would incite others to harm her in any way.
Sarah Palin seems to drive a certain segment of the trendy left right past any vestige of their civility and on into barbaric name-calling and sexist word violence that can only be described as cloaked pornography.
A case in point is the comments by MSNBC host Martin Bashir. Pretending to be talking about slavery, Mr Bashir went on to describe things that he said (I imagine this is true, btw) came from an old journal describing the treatment of slaves.
References to historic sources aside, the only times I have heard people describe that sort of treatment at the hands of other people in today’s world was gang rape victims describing the degrading, dehumanizing things done to them by their attackers. Since Mr Bashir is presumably far better acquainted with the twenty-first century than the eighteenth, I assume that he knows this.
He ended this disgusting recital by announcing that Governor Palin deserved the same treatment.
As always happens with these things, Mr Bashir has now issued an apology, which, of course, does nothing to ameliorate the harm he’s done, not only to Governor Palin, but to women everywhere.
I, for one, am tired of this.
Words hurt.
It would have been possible to discuss the remarks made by Governor Palin without calling her any names at all. In fact, the one thing Mr Bashir did not do was give me or any other viewer a reason to think that what the Governor had said was inaccurate. He never discussed that at all.
Instead, he went off immediately into a vicious string of names and then launched onto his history lesson and ended with the judgement that Sarah Palin deserved the same brutal treatment he had just described.
The thing which he, in my opinion, pretended had offended him was that the Governor used the word slavery in her discussion, as in the well-known and commonly-used phrase “economic slavery.”
Now, you may believe that Mr Bashir was so offended by the word “slavery” used in an economic context that he temporarily lost his senses. But even if that is true, it does not excuse what he said. Only insanity to the point of an active delusional psychosis in which he did not know what he was doing would excuse calling for any other person to be treated the way he called for Governor Palin to be treated, and that degree of mental illness would certainly disqualify him from his position.
Mr Bashir is a star. He is a highly-paid professional. There is, or there should be, quite a bit of responsibility in that. If he’s unable to control himself when he hears words like “slavery,” then he may be too emotionally labile for his position.
No professional newsperson who is the voice of a worldwide news organization should be calling for violence of any sort, much less violence of this type, against those they claim to cover. They should not be calling the people whose lives they report names.
What level of journalism is this that Mr Bashir operates from that he can go on the air and behave in this manner toward a woman who is the former governor of one of the fifty states, a former nominee for the Vice Presidency of the United States, and the mother of five children?
What has Sarah Palin done, besides have opinions that some people disagree with and express those opinions strongly, that merits such hatred?
It has reached the point that I know that I’m going to be called a few names for saying this; which is precisely why I am saying it.
No one deserves this kind of treatment. Disagree with her positions. That is fine.
But stop trashing her as a human being, and stop singling out prominent women for pornographic viciousness."

Wednesday - I am not racist - I know Bashir was borne in England but I thought (wrongly) that his parents were from India they are from Pakistan. I have been to India and it is one of the most beautiful countries with amazing people - who love cricket!!!.I think MJ loved India also. I just wanted Bashir in the gutter somewhere. Sorry Calcutta.:bow:

Back