Rabbi Shmuley Re: Martin Bashir's latest scandal [Update] Bashir Resigns from MSNBC

Re: Rabbi Shmuley about Martin Bashir's latest scandal (Michael related)

I would dance on his grave for his actions that ruined Michael's life. I agree that we should make a complaint to MSNBC and fire his sorry @$$. He's nothing but a huge cancer to the media.

Cory Booker’s favorite rabbi is still hung up on Michael Jackson
Why does Shmuley Boteach always manage to bring everything back to Shmuley Boteach?

DANIEL D'ADDARIO

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is angry at one of his fellow media personalities.

The rabbi, known for splashy public pronouncements and a knack for finding the limelight, has struck at MSNBC host Martin Bashir. In a column in the New York Observer (a newspaper for which, full disclosure, I once worked), Boteach writes that Bashir’s recent implication that someone ought to defecate in Palin’s mouth, for which Bashir apologized, is of a piece with Bashir’s deceptive nature. Is Boteach a fan of Palin? No — somewhat bizarrely, he makes this all about Michael Jackson.

After all, before Bashir’s engagement with the cable news network, he was famous for an incendiary interview special with Jackson, Boteach’s close friend. As the rabbi writes:

Martin Bashir has never been held accountable for pretending to care for Michael in order to persuade him to open up, while all along, it seems his intention was to enhance his own reputation by burying Michael’s. A weird Michael Jackson was going to be a lot more saleable than a mostly normal yet highly eccentric performer. And let’s not forget that Michael faced trial over the boy who appeared in the documentary but was acquitted on all 10 felony and 4 misdemeanor charges.

Boteach’s image is closely associated with the late pop singer’s; exactly three months after Jackson died in 2009, Boteach released a book constructed from transcripts of taped conversations with Jackson that took place during the two-year period Boteach was Jackson’s rabbi. (The book was criticized for using Jackson simply as a mouthpiece for Boteach’s own ideas about chastity and spirituality.) On the topic of what, specifically, Bashir said about Palin, Boteach is not particularly concerned. He notes in his column that “I am someone who believes in granting forgiveness. I trust that Mrs. Palin will do so and move on.” It’s Bashir’s apparent misdeeds in earning Jackson’s trust in the early 2000s — despite what Boteach frames as his warnings to Jackson that the interview was a bad idea — that so aggrieve Boteach, who alleges “a pattern of unethical behavior that is deeply troubling.”

That unethical behavior will be familiar to anyone who’s read Janet Malcolm’s journalistic-ethics opus “The Journalist and the Murderer” — Bashir expressed sympathy for Jackson, then put forward an extremely unflattering document once the reporting was done. But doing reporting the subject didn’t like after a lengthy process of gaining access through flattery is entirely a different animal than making a crude comment about an individual one will presumably never interview. Both the interview and the Palin remark can, perhaps, be read as evidence of misbehavior on Bashir’s part, but they’re as much a “pattern” as any two unrelated incidents can be.

Though the two ultimately fell out, Jackson wasn’t Boteach’s only celebrity pal. Indeed, the rabbi — whose other claims to fame include the book “Kosher Sex” and the TLC reality series “Shalom in the Home” — is a longtime friend of and adviser to Sen. Cory Booker, an association that Boteach even wrote about in “The Michael Jackson Tapes.”

Boteach has recently come to Booker’s defense, too, writing in the Huffington Post during Booker’s Senate campaign: “Those who now falsely attack Cory as more interested in his celebrity than people don’t know the Oxford student who, at his graduation, was lovingly greeted by the middle-aged, mature students of Oxford whom the younger students ignored but Cory always befriended.” The fact that critics of Booker’s tenure as mayor of Newark don’t know what he was like as an Oxford student seems only to serve Boteach’s implicit argument that he’s well-connected, an arbiter.

Now that Booker, for many years a rising star, has risen, Boteach (who ran for Congress in New Jersey) can presumably rise along with him. When it comes to Booker, who was cruising to victory anyway, Boteach took multiple opportunities to speak out during the race; he and Booker were so closely associated that at one point Boteach took to the Huffington Post to ask if he’d made Booker “too Jewish.” (Answer: no.) His allegations against Bashir — years after the fact, at the first moment Bashir has seemed vulnerable — feel opportunistic in the same way. Talk about a pattern.

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/21/cory_bookers_favorite_rabbi_is_still_hung_up_on_michael_jackson/

I agree with this writer. Even MJ detractors were upset with what Martin did. Oprah did a show on it and talked distaste for it and said Maritn talked oout of both sides of his mouth. The only idoit who found fun it in was Diane Diamond even trying to belittle Maury Povick for willing to do a show about what Martin did with MJ's cameraman's footage. Anyway, I wish MJ would have listen to this person when MJ was told not to do the interview. Sometimes it bothers me that MJ did not listen to the people told was looking after his interest but he listen to the people who were evil towards him. I will never understand it. ANd to think if MJ would have listen to that Nurse about prophol, MJ would still be alive.

I'm not 'forgiving' anyone who wronged Michael ever, if that makes me a messed up person and an ungrateful by.tch then so be it. I just can't.

I couldn't care less about Schmuley Boteach, he deceived Michael as well, betrayed him and stole from the Heal The World funds. Lots of people claim they supposedly adviced him but the truth is that he didn't want to have anything to do with the rabbi in 2002, the way Bashit got him was showing a letter princess Diana wrote to him thanking him for the interview. And since 2009 he's been clinging on Michael to be more famous. So he also has to apologize for being a thief and the disgusting comments he wrote in his book.

Reality is crueler and harder to accept.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyway, back to Bashir, the problem I see is that those who are writing against his behavior including the media, need to attack all instances when there is public unethical behavior from media/tv hosts. However, they don't do this but single out certain people to focus on. By doing this they allow a culture of unethical or bullying behavior to exist. Here we have the rabbi bring up how Bashir also showed unethical behavior in relation to the the Michael documentary, and this reporter poo poos that trying to make a point that the Palin and Michael situation is not the same thing. Well of course it is not the same, but what he did, are all forms of unethical behavior, which shows a pattern. With that the rabbi is correct. I could not care less if the rabbi makes the article about himself, because the point is that he brings out certain practices Bashir engage in which show some negative character traits. It seems to me that some people feel that Michael is not worthy to defend. However, wrong behavior is wrong and that is what should be denounced, and when Bashir was unethical with Diana, Michael, & Palin, after each instance that behavior should have been denounced loudly by the public. What happened was that Bashir was rewarded by the system he works in, so he continued his behavior. Now let's see what happens next.

Rabbi Shmuley about Martin Bashir's latest scandal (Michael related)

I'd like to ask Boteach if he only comes to the aid of professed Caucasian rightwingers whom he hopes to get courted by?? If he's so appalled by the verbal gutter strewn out in the media, he should have been rallying with a megaphone in hand, considering the vile excrement of stuff that gets dumped out over the current holder of the Office of President.

Yes, the misogynistic commentary toward Palin is awful. Deplorable.
Maybe he would take a stand for Hillary Clinton as well?
Nope, he won't. Unless somebody tells him so in order to look less transparent.

Boteach ran and lost his 2012 run on the Republican ticket, endorsed by Eric Cantor and buddy-buddy with people like Pat Robertson who of course will uphold dear Sarah.
And not to mention dear Boteach's own misogynistic writings too numerous to count, google is your friend. I wouldn't want that misogynist pretending to defend me.

You, Boteach, are a hypocrite, defending only those who can advance your own political aspirations- wait, opportunist and hypocrite.
Not to mention back stabber.

If Boteach was so outraged about the public discourse, he's d be jumping up and down for years, but of course it has to be a fellow right winger in order for Boteach to come up with the idea that maybe so called journalists should be expressing themselves in different ways.

The only thing that gets proven repeatedly that one can be a deplorable human being regardless of gender, race and creed.

And yes, it's al about himhimhim, whatever he writes. Somebody please let him know that the one who really displays continued bad form is Boteach himself.
When Michael got onto him, he got booted fast- not too bad for the 'self-proclaimed Messiah of the children.' Michael didn't want or need a publicity hound as his 'spiritual mentor', and that is really something someone who likes to be referred to 'America's Rabbi' can't handle.
Ever since he's gotten on a PR tour that just won't end.

And Boteach, just for you, I shall put on Haendel's 'Messiah' and think of Michael.

Last edited:

Back in 2008, when Sarah Palin became a household name, being named the Republican parites Vice Presidential nominee and her campaign slogan being 'drill baby drill,' which makes her pro gas and oil industry. Which then leads up to the Koch brother's wanting to get the Keystone pipeline to go through the middle of the Unites States. Just what the country needs, more environmental damage to our clean water, which farmers depend on, clean water and if a pipe explodes, environmental damage ensues.

7b4f947c4e319fa54a72682d726959fc.jpg
This took place just a few day's ago, near the Grand Teton's National Park, which is the south entrance of Yellowstone National Park.

So with that said, Sarah Palin still does not need to be demeaned by Martin Bashir. And good on Shmuley for bringing this out. Martin Bashir is fast becoming a woman hater. This is not the first instance that Martin Bashir has found himself in hot water for saying demeaning things about a woman.

Shmuley's book on Michael Jackson, "Honoring the Child Spirit," is much better than Shmuley's first attempt. It helps the reader understand Michael's spiritual side, his belief in the Holy Bible and how important it is for adult's to be humble like a child and not to think of self-importance. This is what turns Michael off to adult's, their lack of innocence. I like how Michael brought out that he was glad how President Roosevelt designated land for National Parks.

How being one with the environment helps us appreciate our Creator is on a much superior plane and that realizing this, helps mankind to reflect upon this and come away a much better being!

51L4sbjL39L.jpg

I see this thread went off center and off track.

Looks like Bashir has been put on "Vacation". LOL!! Let's hope his little "vacation" turns into something permanent! ;) I couldn't help but smile with this news.

MSNBC's Martin Bashir 'on vacation' after Sarah Palin remarks
531190Email
Print
By DYLAN BYERS | 12/2/13 3:50 PM EST
Martin Bashir, the MSNBC host who has come under fire for the controversial remarks he made about Sarah Palin, is "on vacation" and will not host his namesake afternoon program on Monday, POLITICO has learned.

Sources at the network said Bashir had been temporarily suspended from the network following graphic remarks he made last month about the former governor from Alaska. In that segment, Bashir suggested that Palin should be forced to endure slavery like conditions, including the consumption of feces.

MSNBC spokesperson Lauren Skowronski told a different story: "He’s still out on vacation," she wrote in an email. Asked multiple times when Bashir would return from vacation, Skowronski did not respond.

On Nov. 15, Bashir called Palin "a world class idiot" because she made a comparison to slavery while discussing U.S. debt to China. The host then read an excerpt from the diary of a former plantation manger who wrote of forcing one slave to "S-H-I-T" in another slave's mouth, and said "if anyone truly qualified for a dose of [such] discipline... then she would be the outstanding candidate." Bashir later apologized to Palin and to his viewers for the remarks, calling them "deeply offensive."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media...hir-on-vacation-after-sarah-palin-178643.html

He deserves whatever he gets..He's a vile man and he lied on our MJ, knowingly and willingly.

Yes, he deserves anything bad he could get. However it's not enough justice since it was more low and disgusting what that bastard did to Michael and he was rewarded for it.

BASHIR HAS RESIGNED!!!!!!!
http://www.mrctv.org/videos/vulgar-martin-bashir-someone-should-s-h-i-t-sarah-palins-mouth

MSNBC host Martin Bashir said in a statement Wednesday that he would resign from the network following comments he made about former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.
Bashir apologized on-air last month after suggesting that Palin deserved graphic punishment for comparing U.S. foreign debt to slavery. Palin later canceled an appearance on NBC's "Today."
Following intense backlash for the incendiary comments, Bashir elected to temporarily take additional time off during the Thanksgiving holiday.
"Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the President of msnbc, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues, at this special network, will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments," he said in the statement.
"I deeply regret what was said, will endeavor to work hard at making constructive contributions in the future and will always have a deep appreciation for our viewers – who are the smartest, most compassionate and discerning of all television audiences. I would also wish to express deepest gratitude to my immediate colleagues, and our contributors, all of whom have given so much of themselves to our broadcast."
The president of MSNBC, Phil Griffin, also issued a statement confirming that Bashir would step down and wishing him the best.
"Martin Bashir resigned today, effective immediately. I understand his decision and I thank him for three great years with msnbc. Martin is a good man and respected colleague – we wish him only the best."
Palin responded to Bashir's initial comments last month.
"Everybody in life takes shots," she said "Fox News Sunday." "I don't have to accept his words – his vile, evil comments. So they don't have to affect me. I move on and I charge forth."

Also last month, the network discontinued former host Alec Baldwin's show "Up Late" after he reportedly yelled anti-gay slurs at a photographer outside his home in New York. Baldwin later apologized for the angry rant in a post to MSNBC's website.
After his show was canceled, Baldwin called on the network to also force Bashir to leave, pointing to his controversial comments.
"Martin Bashir's on the air, and he made his comment on the air!" Baldwin told Gothamist last week.
Bashir's resignation was first reported by Mediaite.

He was fired I believe, but they let him save face by resigning.. I can't stand this.. I hope this is the beginning of payback for this fool. What he did to MJ was evil. I just hope he pays for it one day. I hope this is the start.

Martin Bashir Resigns From MSNBC

by Tommy Christopher | 2:35 pm, December 4th, 2013

Martin-Bashir-2012-02-14-MSNBC-Bashir-2012-02-14-12-Bashir-shot-300x221.jpg

Just over two weeks ago, MSNBC host Martin Bashirdelivered a harsh piece of commentarythat culminated in the suggestion that someone should “s-h-i-t” in former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin‘s (R-AK) mouth. Bashir offered an abject apology on his next broadcast, but a chorus of critics continued to demand action against the host. After a reported “vacation” for the host earlier this week, Bashir announced, in a statement to MediaiteWednesday afternoon, that MSNBC and Martin Bashir are parting ways.

Here’s the statement to Mediaite, from Martin Bashir, via email:
After making an on-air apology, I asked for permission to take some additional time out around the Thanksgiving holiday.

Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the President of MSNBC, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues, at this special network, will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments.

I deeply regret what was said, will endeavor to work hard at making constructive contributions in the future and will always have a deep appreciation for our viewers – who are the smartest, most compassionate and discerning of all television audiences. I would also wish to express deepest gratitude to my immediate colleagues, and our contributors, all of whom have given so much of themselves to our broadcast.’

MSNBC will be issuing a statement shortly.

Update
: MSNBC released Bashir’s statement, plus the following statement from MSNBC President Phil Griffin:
“Martin Bashir resigned today, effective immediately. I understand his decision and I thank him for three great years with msnbc. Martin is a good man and respected colleague – we wish him only the best.”

Source: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/martin-bashir-resigns-from-msnbc/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/martin-bashir-resigns-msnbc-horrible-194854708.html

I didn't know where to share this, So if in wrong section please move it..

MSNBC host Martin Bashir resigned from the network Wednesday, two weeks after making lewd comments about former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

The news was first reported by Mediaite.

Here is his full statement, provided by MSNBC:

“After making an on-air apology, I asked for permission to take some additional time out around the Thanksgiving holiday. Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the President of MSNBC, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues, at this special network, will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments.

I deeply regret what was said, will endeavor to work hard at making constructive contributions in the future and will always have a deep appreciation for our viewers – who are the smartest, most compassionate and discerning of all television audiences. I would also wish to express deepest gratitude to my immediate colleagues, and our contributors, all of whom have given so much of themselves to our broadcast.”

And the statement from MSNBC President Phil Griffin on his resignation:

“Martin Bashir resigned today, effective immediately. I understand his decision and I thank him for three great years with MSNBC. Martin is a good man and respected colleague — we wish him only the best.”

Bashir hasn't hosted his normal 4 p.m. show for the past two weeks. When asked about his absence, a network spokesperson only said that he was on vacation. The spokesperson didn't respond to follow-up requests asking if he had been suspended.

Bashir suggested in a Nov. 15 broadcast that someone should defecate in Palin's mouth. He made the lewd comment in a segment about Palin's comparison of the federal debt to slavery. Bashir cited a former plantation owner who punished slaves by forcing one to "S-H-I-T" in another's mouth, as he put it.

"If anyone truly qualified for a dose of [that] discipline," he said, "she would be the outstanding candidate."

Bashir subsequently apologized in his next broadcast.

Re: Martin Bashir Resigns from MSNBC

I think he got sacked but the network allowed him to save his face and say he himself resigned.

Either way, eventually he got what he deserved.

MARTIN BASHIR IS GONE!!! Yipee!!! They can spin it as a "resignation" if they want. He was forced to resign - translation - YOU'RE FIRED!!:D
----------------------

EXCLUSIVE: Martin Bashir, out at MSNBC over Palin slur, was previously suspended

Howard Kurtz

By Howard Kurtz
• Published December 05, 2013•
FoxNews.com

Turns out Martin Bashir’s mouth has gotten him into trouble before.

Bashir resigned from MSNBC Wednesday over the sliming of Sarah Palin after meeting with the network’s president, Phil Griffin.

But this isn’t the first time that Bashir has had to apologize for his remarks about a woman. While working for ABC News in the summer of 2008, he was addressing an Asian American Journalists Association convention in Chicago, with his “20/20” colleague Juju Chang also on stage. He began commenting on her dress.

As New York magazine reported in a brief and little-noticed item, Bashir said that "I’m happy to be in the midst of so many Asian babes.” And, he added, “I’m happy that the podium covers me from the waist down.” He said a speech should be “like a dress on a a beautiful woman — long enough to cover the important parts and short enough to keep your interest — like my colleague Juju’s.” Some audience members booed, the magazine said.

A little digging reveals that ABC quietly suspended Bashir after the incident. He wrote an apology to the Asian-American group, saying: “Upon reflection, it was a tasteless remark that I now bitterly regret. I … hope that the continuing work of the organization will not be harmed or undermined by my moment of stupidity.”

An ABC spokesman declined to comment on the episode involving Bashir, a former “Nightline” co-anchor.

There’s an obvious contrast between ABC’s swift move and MSNBC’s decision to let the controversy build for nearly three weeks after Bashir delivering a disgusting personal attack on Palin that brought him widespread condemnation. By declining to suspend Bashir or denounce his remarks, MSNBC reached the point where the only way to control the damage was to sever its relationship with the British journalist.

Bashir said in a statement yesterday that he decided to leave the network after meeting with Phil Griffin.

Bashir had already apologized for what he called “offensive” comments about the former Alaska governor, whom he also called an “idiot” and “dunce.” He told viewers in a scripted commentary last month that someone should defecate in Palin’s mouth. He was invoking an old slave punishment in response to a speech by Palin, a Fox News contributor, comparing the national debt to slavery.

Bashir took off two weeks for what was billed as a vacation, and there was a marked contrast with MSNBC’s treatment of Alec Baldwin, who got the boot over an alleged anti-gay slur hurled at a photographer. In his statement, Bashir said:

“After making an on-air apology, I asked for permission to take some additional time out around the Thanksgiving holiday.

“Upon further reflection, and after meeting with the president of MSNBC, I have tendered my resignation. It is my sincere hope that all of my colleagues, at this special network, will be allowed to focus on the issues that matter without the distraction of myself or my ill-judged comments.

“I deeply regret what was said, will endeavor to work hard at making constructive contributions in the future and will always have a deep appreciation for our viewers – who are the smartest, most compassionate and discerning of all television audiences.”

In his own statement, Griffin said: “Martin Bashir resigned today, effective immediately. I understand his decision and I thank him for three great years with msnbc. Martin is a good man and respected colleague - we wish him only the best.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nbc-over-palin-slur-was-previously-suspended/

I also think they gave him an Ultimatum to resign or be fired. I don't believe he would resign unless he was forced too.

Made this meme for the occasion showing media's double standard for some.

Bashit totally deserves it but it's not justice enough for all his evil actions, I insist.

34fdz13.jpg

Last edited:
I'll never understand why ABC and then MSNBC hired him in the first place.

He was fired I believe, but they let him save face by resigning.. I can't stand this.. I hope this is the beginning of payback for this fool. What he did to MJ was evil. I just hope he pays for it one day. I hope this is the start.

I think so to. His show is not the best in terms of viewership, so they ask him to resign. They then claim he suggested it and they accepted. That is the way these things are done. Now let's see where he shows up next.

It is wonderful the way he was the cause of his own destruction. Thank you Bashir.

Let me know if you guys spot him arriving at Heathrow airport.

Anyone notice the way he writes these apologies stating how foolish his comments were. He seems to have the gift of gab.

Last edited:

double post

Last edited:
Back