Release Michael Jackson's Work on Blu-ray

wonderouzdj2

Proud Member
We present this petition to demonstrate that a large market exists for the release of a collection of Blu-ray discs that includes 1080p High Definition versions of all of Michael Jackson's short films, music videos, noteworthy television appearances, and memorable performances.

We ask that you create this set from new High Definition scans of all relevant materials, using the original and best elements available, in their original aspect ratios.

We ask that you include every short film and "music video" that was created for any of Michael Jackson's songs, including any of his works as part of the Jackson 5 and The Jacksons.

We further ask that you include the full-length version of "Michael Jackson's Ghosts" - the world record holder for the longest music video ever created.

We understand that you may not have exclusive rights to the film, "Captain EO," which appeared in Disney theme parks for many years, and so we ask that you strike deals where necessary so that you may include both a 3D and standard version of this film, in High Definition, in the set.

We wholeheartedly believe that no Michael Jackson collection is complete without "Michael Jackson's Ghosts" and "Captain EO," so we ask that you make all the necessary arrangements to include these treasured films.

This set would include only a few more selections than the "Michael Jackson's Vision" DVD set released a few years ago. We believe that in this age of high definition, it is important for Michael Jackson's works to be available to the public in the highest quality achievable.

Michael Jackson is known as the most successful entertainer in history. His works are national treasures and deserve to be seen in high definition with high fidelity sound.

Those of us signing this petition realize the value of such a set, and thereby suggest a retail price of $129.00. As is evident through the diverse number of locations inhabited by the undersigned, Michael Jackson fans around the world are willing to pay the suggested price, or even a bit more, for such a valuable collection.

Thank you for taking the time to entertain this petition. Please make our Michael Jackson wishes come true!

https://www.change.org/p/release-michael-jackson-s-work-on-blu-ray

LETTER TO
The Michael Jackson Estate, Sony Music Entertainment, The Jackson Family
Please release Michael Jackson's entire filmography, uncut, restored, in HD, on Blu-ray. Michael's filmography includes all of his short films and "music videos" as well as notable television appearances, theatrical films, the entire 40-minute "Michael Jackson's Ghosts" short film, and both 2D and 3D versions of "Captain EO."

The big issue here is that most of the source material would be needed in the first place [and some might even be lost] and that material is in the hands of various kinds of people and guess what... they all want a big piece of the cake aka $$$. The F/X and edits would have to be re-done and let's be honest, Michael Jackson's music videos are simply not very profitable. There is too low demand to justify the costs. We can be lucky if a few - like Thriller - will get a proper HD release within the next years.

That's the point of the petition to get them in demand...think about if people saw them on blu ray quality...then more people would want it. Its called marketing

^ Before you can market anything, you pursue profitability calculation and acquisition first. It's not like they never came to the idea themselves. That's why they'll stick with "Thriller" which is already in the works.

If you want to see how complicated and costly such a project is, I'd recommend to read about the remastering and sales revenues of "Star Trek - The Next Generation" on Blu-ray and why "Star Trek - Deep Spance Nine" and "Star Trek - Voyager" won't get the same treatment in the near future.

Similarly a few of MJ's music videos from his prime days have a fair chance in the near future but most don't - if we like it or not.

Last edited:
The big issue here is that most of the source material would be needed in the first place [and some might even be lost] and that material is in the hands of various kinds of people and guess what... they all want a big piece of the cake aka $$$. The F/X and edits would have to be re-done and let's be honest, Michael Jackson's music videos are simply not very profitable. There is too low demand to justify the costs. We can be lucky if a few - like Thriller - will get a proper HD release within the next years.

They are releasing The Beatles music videos on Blu-Ray. They wouldn't do it if they didn't believe they would make money. I would think that Michael's short films could sell even better.

After how they ruined some of the short films when they released the Vision DVD, I don't want them to ever release his short films again, in any way or form

They are releasing The Beatles music videos on Blu-Ray. They wouldn't do it if they didn't believe they would make money. I would think that Michael's short films could sell even better.

The Beatles' music videos are very simply (F/X- and editing-wise) and you can't compare the status of their source material with MJ's mess of scattered to the four winds source material and legal complexities. ;)

The Beatles' music videos are very simply (F/X- and editing-wise) and you can't compare the status of their source material with MJ's mess of scattered to the four winds source material and legal complexities. ;)

They could at least release Thriller and Bad era short films. I can't think of any big complexities in those.

actually, no. since i don't own a blu ray play, and i don't intend to get one...
Years from now we will all be forced into buying them and they might as well start securing rights.

I didn't want a CD player until I started having a hard time finding albums I wanted. Same for the DVD player-I did not want to stop watching VHS. Finally had to if I bought or rented anything new.

Even my last 2 computers are obsolete. I know my poor TVs are ancient. Goodwill won't even take them. Lol.

It'll take them some time to find master tapes, secure rights and a lot of time to restore. So we will all probably be on blue ray by then.

Signed and preparing to wait.

1970s variety show

I don't really care about the music videos, they're already available in some form. I would like to see The Jacksons' variety show released (on DVD at least). I guess the CBS network owns that. I'm sure there would be issues with the music and getting permission from the guest stars or whoever owns their image if deceased. They might want too much money to justify putting it out. It's like on the Married With Children DVDs, the Frank Sinatra theme song is removed and replaced with something else.

actually, no. since i don't own a blu ray play, and i don't intend to get one...

I'm sure you would want if you had seen how good Blu-Rays look. It is amazing to watch old movies(Moonwalker for example) in 1080p. They look so good.

Back