Remember The Time appreciation thread.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member

Remember The Time is without a doubt one of MJ's best short films, and the song is one of his best too.
Additionally, IMO it's also the best live action film based in Egypt ever made.

Let's discuss the awesomeness of this short film and song. :)

One of my favourite MJ songs. It's a shame that he didn't perform it live during any of his tours.

Fantastic song. I always consider this Michael's love song to Diana Ross. Love the dance sequence starting at 6:10 on...

Fantastic song. I always consider this Michael's love song to Diana Ross. Love the dance sequence starting at 6:10 on...

OMG, I SO wish that Diana and MJ would have been a couple and got married. :D
They would have been an amazing and beautiful couple, and the dance break in RTT is one of the best I've ever seen in a music video.
It could ONLY place behind other MJ dance breaks.

I like his look in the video. But the faux kiss always irks me. If they ever do an HD transfer it's not going to look any better.

It's a nice example of singalong pop, post-1990, in MJ's cannon. Always loved it.

I like his look in the video. But the faux kiss always irks me. If they ever do an HD transfer it's not going to look any better.

It's a nice example of singalong pop, post-1990, in MJ's cannon. Always loved it.

The kiss does look a lil bit weird, but if they actually had kissed then I would be jealous LOL. :)

Kiss looks alright to me tbh... Knowing how Michael was the shy type, he might not have been keen to do many takes?

I remember seeing the World premiere of the video on tv. Back when I was 12 years old. I just totally loved that video and song. And it was that video that totally sparked my interest in Ancient Egypt. Because before that video I had no interest in that kind of stuff.

Kiss looks alright to me tbh... Knowing how Michael was the shy type, he might not have been keen to do many takes?

They're not kissing. The shadows just meet in such a way to make it appear as though they were.

It's odd.

But Michael clearly had no problem kissing his co-star on camera for You Rock My World...perhaps Iman didn't want to do it...?

Not sure how credible the story is, considering the source is a tabloid, but allegedly this is what Iman said about the kiss.

Iman, Daily Express, Feb 20 1992

“We had to act out the kissing scene on Remember The Time three times and if Michael had anything to do with it, we would still be filming it,” she said, shrieking with laughter.

“He really got into it. I told him: ‘You know you’re paying me to do this! You know I’m an engaged woman!’ He thought that was very funny.”

“He’s a shy man but he has a great sense of humour. He mingled with everyone on the shoot and I was amazed how easy he was to be with.”

http://www.mjtranslate.com/en/aboutmjs/1453

Pink Diamond Princess;4159658 said:
[video=youtube_share;LeiFF0gvqcc]http://youtu.be/LeiFF0gvqcc[/video]

Remember The Time is without a doubt one of MJ's best short films, and the song is one of his best too.
Additionally, IMO it's also the best live action film based in Egypt ever made.

Let's discuss the awesomeness of this short film and song. :)

Personally, I think that ‘Remember The Time’ was his safest track (on the ‘Dangerous’ album), & subsequently one of his safest singles he has ever released. This is because of its catchy chorus, trendy (at that time) sound & rather skin-deep lyrics. Hence, its commercial success did not surprise me at all.

Apart from its release as a single, ‘Remember The Time’ was included also on various, official dance-infused releases (such as, promo mega-mixes/medleys) that furthered even more its commercial success.

Also, the inception of ‘Remember The Time’ (in terms of its music/sound) comes directly from MJ’s desire to record a song (or songs) during that period that would have been musically as hard as Teddy Riley’s song ‘Spend The Night’:

“… and his [MJ’s] favorite song was ‘Spend The Night’ on the ‘Guy’ album, that was his favorite song of all times that I did and he [MJ] said I want that sound. So, you know, we did ‘Remember The Time’, he said that’s not quite ‘Spend The Night’ but it’s hard, but I [MJ] want something hard like ‘Spend The Night’, so that’s when we did ‘Trippin’ [‘Why You Wanna Trip On Me’]…” (Teddy Riley, Pensado’s Place)

Regarding its music clip, I believe that it is one of those cases when the accompanying video elevates significantly the song. Also, those mega stars that co-star (especially Eddie Murphy) imbue the music clip with a humorous tone, while the visual effects work impressively well!

It should be noted also that Murphy’s appearance on ‘Remember The Time’ was the reason for MJ’s later participation on Murphy’s ‘Whatzupwitu’ song & video clip that were released one year after (MJ did background vocals & also co-appeared on the video clip of that song).

Finally, as regards the live performance of ‘Remember The Time’, I think no official explanation was ever given about its withdrawal from the Dangerous Tour. But, having experienced costumes-related problems (during the rehearsals of that song), it seems that MJ did not want to take the risk of having such problems recurring (problems that could have embarrassed some of the on-stage dancers in front of thousands of people).

Maybe they chose that version because obviously Michael likes silhouettes and Singleton thought it was arty.
But they just should have gone with a proper kiss, IMO.

Michael was an actor and lots of actors are excruciatingly shy. That's why they like to escape into another character.

Maybe they chose that version because obviously Michael likes silhouettes and Singleton thought it was arty.
But they just should have gone with a proper kiss, IMO.

Michael was an actor and lots of actors are excruciatingly shy. That's why they like to escape into another character.

Michael did say that he was shy....

Back