Riots in Tottenham, North London

9 hours ago: Shazaad Hussein has died in Birmingham after being run over, two others are in a critical condition.

8 hours ago: A 2nd man has died in Birmingham in the same incident as Shazaad Hussein.

Re: Riots in Tottenham, North London *Now nationwide*

I heard about that this morning :( I'm shocked. When will this madness end?!

It's shocking to hear about people dying. I hope these riots will be dealt with soon.

Last night, the riots came to my home city of Leicester.........

I just don't understand what's going through the heads of these children???

More Riots Break Out in London: Were These Planned?

A second set of riots broke out in north and south London on Sunday night, leaving officials even more concerned about the possibility for mounting violence. According to the Guardian, police were deployed to the Enfield and Brixton neighborhoods of London to deal with large groups of teenage boys, who seemed to have preplanned an attack against the police. In Enfield, about six miles north of last night’s riots, the boys had torn bricks from walls to throw at police. In Brixton, stores were targeted by looters.

There were reports of disturbances in other neighborhoods, leading to questions about whether the latest riots were planned and coordinated. The potential for future conflict is clear, especially since some commenters reacted by blaming the rioters as “lunatics,” engaging in a “chilling orgy of random destruction.”

This characterization does not adequately portray the anxiety and anger felt by London’s young urban poor, who have been particularly affected by Britain’s new austerity measures. These cuts to social services, combined with the feeling among some minorities that they have been unfairly targeted by the police, begin to explain just how the riots began. Officials claim that “certain elements” exploited the general climate of anger to encourage violent behavior. But others added that rumors about a violent conflict between a police officer and a 16-year-old girl added fuel to the fire.

Although there are many conflicting reports about how a peaceful march turned into a massive and destructive riot on Saturday night, social media had a lot to do with it. Hundreds of people tweeted pictures of burning police cars, inciting others onto the streets. One user said: “‘Everyone up and roll to Tottenham f*** the 50 [police]. I hope one dead tonight.”

Since social media played such a crucial role in Egypt’s revolution, it’s not surprising to see it happening again in another city. As we saw with Egypt, social media can catalyze movements among disaffected people that can be extremely powerful. Sunday night’s events clearly demonstrated that British officials have reason to be nervous about the potential for more organized conflict among the most marginalized of London’s citizens.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/more-riots-break-out-in-london-were-these-planned.html

Some people have already been arrested for encouraging people to riot on social networking sites.

Now, that's what you call bad parenting. The parents of these kids can't stop them from creating havoc or they don't seem to care. Maybe, they could learn a few things from MJ on how to be a good parent.

Michaels strong words and messages are relevant today and I know he would be
shouting against the violence and helping to find solutions if he was still here with us.

London Riots - Michael Jackson - SHOUT

SHOUT

Verse 1
Ignorance of people purchasing diamonds and necklaces,
And barely able to keep the payments up on their lessons,
And enrolled in a class and don't know who the professor is,
How low people go for the dough and make a mess of things,
Kids are murdering other kids for the fun of it,
Instead of using their mind or their fist, they put a gun in it
Wanna be a part of a clique, don't know who's running it,
Tragedy on top of tragedy you know it's killing me.

So many people in agony, this shouldn't have to be,
Too busy focusing on ourselves and not His Majesty,
There has to be some type of change for this day and age,
We gotta rearrange and flip the page,
Living encaged like animals and cannibals,
Eating each other alive just to survive the nine to five,
Every single day is trouble while we struggle and strive
Peace of mind's so hard to find.

Chorus
I wanna shout, throw my hands up and shout
What's this madness all about
All this makes me wanna shout
You know it makes me wanna shout,
Throw my hands up and shout
What's this madness all about
All this makes me wanna shout, c'mon now

Verse 2
Problems, complications and accusations
Dividing the nations and races of empty faces
A war is taking place.
No substitution for restitution, the only solution for peace
Is increasing the height of your spirituality.
Masses of minds are shrouded, clouded visions
Deceptions and indecision, no faith or religion, how we're living.
The clock is ticking, the end is coming, there'll be no warning,
But we live to see the dawn.

Bridge
How can we preach, when all we make this world to be
Is a living hell torturing our minds.
We all must unite, to turn darkness to light,
And the love in our hearts will shine.

Verse 3
We're disconnected from love, we're disrespecting each other
Whatever happened to protecting each other
Poisoned your body and your soul for a minute of pleasure,
But the damage that you've done is gonna last forever.
Babies being born in the world already drug addicted and afflicted,
Family values are contradicted. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust,
the pressure is building and I've had enough.

Chorus...

This is both astonishing and heartbreaking. Thank you qbee for posting the lyrics to Michael's Shout. It -is- very relevant today, you're right. This is so sad. :( and disheartening.

Well when you get jailed for clipping a kid round the head..............

Kids know that they can get away with anything............

Even the police won't touch them because they'll go to jail for it as well...........

The stupid politicians have effectively paralysed the country from protecting itself from these kids......

Sky News: Richard Mannington Bowes, 68, who was set upon as he tried to stamp out a fire during riots in Ealing, west London, has died.

Exactly though. Michael had it right YEARS ago. DYKWYCA is a prime example. And the Oxford speech,if only people listened to him.:(

Stay safe guys, I heard about this today. Hope things have cooled down a bit? It's just a shame that this is possible to happen.

Sky News: Richard Mannington Bowes, 68, who was set upon as he tried to stamp out a fire during riots in Ealing, west London, has died.

RIP Richard Mannington :( Now that young guy has ruined his life now. Bet he's pleased with himself!

I haven't been on here in ages...just checking in to see how everyone's doing, hope you're all safe and no one from this board was affected.

Back