Robin Williams as "Genie" impersonates MJ!

So, I have a question. How do some of you feel about the ''You can't take a joke'' defense that a lot of comedians through out when someone doesn't like a joke they said?

Too bad some of you seem to belittle Williams' bullying, defamation and character assassination masqueraded as jokes because you like/love his work as an actor. Claiming someone molested or raped children without evidence goes further than being "stupid jokes," he was part of the mob who lynched Michael.

So, I have a question. How do some of you feel about the ''You can't take a joke'' defense that a lot of comedians through out when someone doesn't like a joke they said?
That defense doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned. I use to hear Joan Rivers say that a lot on her show. And I silently answer back "I could if it were funny."
I think a lot of them say that when their material is just bad.

Eddie Murphy's stuff was hysterical. I even laughed when I finally saw the "in Living Color" parody of "Black or White" because it was well done.
99% of the stuff is garbage tho.

Robin had it right when he said it was like kicking a paraplegic. Takes no effort and it's cheap,easy, disgusting, and revolting. I gather by saying that he was ashamed.

It's a weak excuse for comedians that aren't funny, the ones that just use slanderous insults and are just deliberately mean (Joan Rivers). You don't have to be a comedian to insult someone. That doesn't require talent. A 5 yr old can do that, lol!

Last edited:
I mostly agree with your post, barbee except the "ashamed" part. I'd have truly believed Robin was genuinely ashamed if he hadn't taken a piss how Michael died. If I were a merciless asshole, I'd try to come up with a joke how committing suicide the way he did looks like but I don't have the guts to do that because I consider it mean and insensitive.

I agree Joan Rivers was a meaner bitch to Michael and many others. She wasn't a comedienne, she just insulted people.

Um let's clear out a few things here, ok? I'm one of those whose perception of Robin William changed immediately after hearing his MJ jokes. And no I'm not a recluse neither am I friendless. I'm a person who likes to look at the "positive" aspects of people.

There are two kinds of jokes regarding Michael - 1. About the hideous controversies and 2. About his music, femininity, dressing etc. I'm very very fond of the 2nd types tbh. I love Eddie Murphy's and Will.I.Am's and Chris Tucker's jokes about that. Now the ones which officially piss me off are of category no. 1.

How can a civilized person make jokes about child molestation? I mean how can a TV show have kids say "We're not letting you get into our pants?" in the most disturbingly upbeat way possible? How can you joke about someone's life being ruined? "We loved him so much, we let the first kid slide"? Is this funny? I mean, does that Kris **** know how disturbing this line is? Then there's the whole black to white stuff. I admit that it can be incorporated into jokes without being disturbing but still... Kicking a man when he was down. I truly hate this shit.

Having said all this, I don't mind Robin Williams being in a movie that I'm watching. Neither do I dislike Eminem - I appreciate talent. However, every person who did this deserves a relentless bitchslap of karma.

I'd have truly believed Robin was genuinely ashamed if he hadn't taken a piss how Michael died.

While I obviously don't like the child molestation jokes (because like I've said, I've lost respect for Williams for saying that, but taking everything into account about him I still respect him on the whole blah blah blah), I honestly am finding it hard to see what Williams said on the Graham Norton show was taking the piss - even back in 2011 when I used to get way more upset by MJ jokes I didn't really see the big deal about it.

He literally just says Propofol is called 'milk of amnesia' (which is an actual nickname for it) and then goes on to say "Michael Jackson was taking propofol to sleep, which is like having chemotherapy cos you're tired of shaving your head". It's a completely absurd metaphor (since ofc no-one would actually have chemotherapy to stop shaving their head) but Williams says that to give the average person with no knowledge of the drug an idea of just how extremely powerful that drug is. On top of that, what he was saying was completely true; what Murray was giving to him to sleep was absolutely absurd and complete overkill (hardly surprising, he was a shit doctor). It's not like he's joking about something disgusting that didn't happen.

In addition, Michael Jackson isn't made up to be made fun of. He's brought up once by Norton when they discuss propofol, a drug that Williams had to be put on during heart surgery (and understandably, when a lot of people hear 'propofol' now they think of the drug that killed Michael Jackson), Williams mentions how absurdly powerful the drug is and how Michael died because of it. Right after this line, he then moves onto his own story about surgery that has absolutely nothing to do with Michael.

Last edited:
Child molestation "jokes" are sicker and worse but do you really think it's ok to joke at the expense of someone else's death? If I have no human decency, I'd put myself on RW's level joking how he died but even though I don't respect his persona, I would never go that low.

Child molestation "jokes" are sicker and worse but do you really think it's ok to joke at the expense of someone else's death? If I have no human decency, I'd put myself on RW's level joking how he died but even though I don't respect his persona, I would never go that low.

First off, I understand if people have different 'moral' levels when it comes to jokes and I'm not questioning why someone shouldn't be offended by a joke about someone's death. There's a reason why some people find South Park (for example) hilarious but others find some of the jokes on there disgusting. I'm not debating whether you should be offended by a joke about death, but more so if what Robin Williams said was taking the piss in the first place.

In answer to your question, it depends on the joke for me. I'd be way more offended if he made a joke about MJ dying by 'drowning in little boys' or too much plastic surgery or skin bleaching or something ridiculous like that because that would be mocking Michael's death, that would be making a joke at the expense of Michael.

I don't find what Robin said offensive at all simply because he essentially just stated the truth here. He hasn't twisted anything, he hasn't said anything nasty about Michael, he literally just stated how Michael died and followed it with a metaphor to help those unfamiliar to understand just how powerful it is. Unfortunately, what Michael was taking to get to sleep was over-the-top.

Last edited:
While I obviously don't like the child molestation jokes (because like I've said, I've lost respect for Williams for saying that, but taking everything into account about him I still respect him on the whole blah blah blah), I honestly am finding it hard to see what Williams said on the Graham Norton show was taking the piss - even back in 2011 when I used to get way more upset by MJ jokes I didn't really see the big deal about it.

He literally just says Propofol is called 'milk of amnesia' (which is an actual nickname for it) and then goes on to say "Michael Jackson was taking propofol to sleep, which is like having chemotherapy cos you're tired of shaving your head". It's a completely absurd metaphor (since ofc no-one would actually have chemotherapy to stop shaving their head) but Williams says that to give the average person with no knowledge of the drug an idea of just how extremely powerful that drug is. On top of that, what he was saying was completely true; what Murray was giving to him to sleep was absolutely absurd and complete overkill (hardly surprising, he was a shit doctor). It's not like he's joking about something disgusting that didn't happen.

In addition, Michael Jackson isn't made up to be made fun of. He's brought up once by Norton when they discuss propofol, a drug that Williams had to be put on during heart surgery (and understandably, when a lot of people hear 'propofol' now they think of the drug that killed Michael Jackson), Williams mentions how absurdly powerful the drug is and how Michael died because of it. Right after this line, he then moves onto his own story about surgery that has absolutely nothing to do with Michael.

:bow:

^^I agree with that. I pulled up the interview already ready to be angry but it was indeed an apt metaphor.
He definitely wasn't making fun of Michael's death but the absurdity of Murray using propofol as a 'sleep aid'.

He hasn't twisted anything, he hasn't said anything nasty about Michael
Don't get me wrong, I love Robin Williams, but in regards to your above post, he did put his hand at waist level and use the joke "you must be this high to ride Michael Jackson." I believe it was on his Live on Broadway Stand Up?

^^I agree with that. I pulled up the interview already ready to be angry but it was indeed an apt metaphor.
He definitely wasn't making fun of Michael's death but the absurdity of Murray using propofol as a 'sleep aid'.

I've been there, hyper-sensitive and on guard about Mike, so I can relate, but this is also what I referred to when I said it can lead to some fans becoming unhinged. It would be great if everyone loved and honored him and his legacy like many of us do, but that isn't the case. Educate, not hate is what I aim to do, even when I fall short and release the krakken (sp) on somebody saying something very stupid about Mike. I explained to a young coworker of mine what Vitiligo was, because he asked me why Mike "hated being black." I was tempted to roast him until I realized he truly DIDN'T KNOW. In today's techy age he shouldn't have had to ask me at all, but I guess he wanted to discuss it with someone. There's nothing I can do to stop the jokes and misinformation about Mike but counter it with truth and facts when approached by those spewing it (and do it wisely and in a calm manner.) I'm no Yoda yet, but I'm getting there, lol!

Don't get me wrong, I love Robin Williams, but in regards to your above post, he did put his hand at waist level and use the joke "you must be this high to ride Michael Jackson." I believe it was on his Live on Broadway Stand Up?

Williams didn't do that on the Graham Norton show. I was talking about his appearance on GH only and questioning whether what he said on there was really taking the piss at all (and I don't believe it is).

Last edited:
Child molestation "jokes" are a big NO for me and are crossing the line. Even if you do not care for MJ one bit you should think about what it actually means to make fun of such an issue. Tasteless at the very least. And it's not like child molestation "jokes" haven't been done about MJ by just about every comedian at the time (doesn't make it OK), so joining that bandwagon does not make Williams particularly original or intelligent either. It's just that: jumping on a bandwagon and joining a verbal lynch mob. Kicking a guy while he is down. How fun! At least Williams showed some remorse later.

^ For that reason it was in my opinion (to my knowledge) the most thoughtless and dumbest move he made in his career.. I 100% agree with you!! I still do not hate the guy but understand why some fans would hold it against him... I still value the life he lived and the positivity he did contribute..

Wow u guys really made my little tweet into this huge discussion about Robin Williams and his MJ jokes.. U guys are something else lol..

All I can do is reiterate the fact that both were human, both made mistakes, both brought joy to countless amounts of people, both died tragically, both are sorely missed by millions upon millions of fans..

Who cares if someone supports one and not the other, and vice-versa.. Ya'll are beating the crap out of this dead horse folks!

^^^

The difference is, Michael 'talent' did not come from spending his adult life demeaning others.

^^Michael was gentleman, a class act who didn't need to insult or defaming others to be noticeable. The reality is that the majority just go with the flock.
From his interview with Geraldo Rivera:

I’ve been an artist most of my life and I’ve never attacked a fellow artist. great artists don’t do that. You don’t have to do that. -Michael Jackson

Wow u guys really made my little tweet into this huge discussion about Robin Williams and his MJ jokes.. U guys are something else lol..

All I can do is reiterate the fact that both were human, both made mistakes, both brought joy to countless amounts of people, both died tragically, both are sorely missed by millions upon millions of fans..

Who cares if someone supports one and not the other, and vice-versa.. Ya'll are beating the crap out of this dead horse folks!

:crackingup: :hysterical: :bow: You can't tell some of the fans that Mike was human and made mistakes. He was perfect, remember? Some people choose to stay mad and that's their prerogative, but it shouldn't be something that derails every single f*cking thread that mentions someone that has said something foul about Mike, unless the thread is SPECIFICALLY created to discuss that matter.

Last edited:
"We'll are beating the crap out of this dead horse," you say Vegas. This is nothing compared to the worldwide inqusition Michael had to endure during 26 years in his lifetime for a crime he never committed.

:crackingup: :hysterical: :bow: You can't tell some of the fans that Mike was human and made mistakes. He was perfect, remember?

So if people don't like MJ being called a child molester that means they think he was perfect and didn't make mistakes? How so? Not one person said here that MJ was perfect and didn't make mistakes, so this is a straw-man.

So if people don't like MJ being called a child molester that means they think he was perfect and didn't make mistakes? How so? Not one person said here that MJ was perfect and didn't make mistakes, so this is a straw-man.

Yet ANOTHER example of derailing this thread. What Robin said in his stand-up routines about Mike isn't the subject here. You want to discuss that? Go to the Trials and Tribulations forum and start a thread on that topic. CrazyVegasMJ made this thread about some Robin outtakes from the Aladdin movie. Anything other than that is going OFF TOPIC. That's the point made with the "beating a dead horse" comment and my posting a clip of a hamster in a wheel.

Yet ANOTHER example of derailing this thread. What Robin said in his stand-up routines about Mike isn't the subject here. You want to discuss that? Go to the Trials and Tribulations forum and start a thread on that topic. CrazyVegasMJ made this thread about some Robin outtakes from the Aladdin movie. Anything other than that is going OFF TOPIC. That's the point made with the "beating a dead horse" comment and my posting a clip of a hamster in a wheel.

Bashing other fans for supposedly being too fanatical, "unhinged" or supposedly thinking MJ is perfect is not the topic of this thread either.

You are not sensitive to such jokes. Great. Others have other sensitivities and other boundaries. So what? Does that make you more sane and them unhinged? I don't think so.

(Plus I don't think fans saying that they can't ignore the cruel "jokes" RW made about MJ is any more off topic than when you post in a thread about the relationship between Trump and MJ that he would not make a good president.)

Last edited:
I'm not pissed off with the child molester ''jokes'' just because they're targeted towards Michael. I'd be pissed off if those ''jokes'' were targeted at anyone who was falsely accused of that crime. Dragging an innocent person's reputation through the mud just to get a few cheap laughs is disgusting.

giphy.gif

Maybe people could use this one? Ya know, the one that was made to talk about that stuff?

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...-sick-jokes-about-Michael?highlight=comedians

Back