Rolling Stones are a DISGRACE!!!

They wrote in the ranking description that it's not all about the voice but about overall fame, influence, legacy, talent etc. So the title is misleading and the criteria are very hazy.
I agree that the title is misleading and the criteria are stupidly unclear. I wonder if that was deliberate? I think it probably was. They didn't want an interesting list that made any kind of sense, they wanted outrage and media coverage and a social media explosion and they got all of that.

So yes, I think Bob Dylan belongs in there.
Agree 100%. Lots of people don't like Bob's voice - which is fair enough - and you could argue that it's not really beautiful in a conventional sense. But for me, his voice is incredibly effective, interesting and very moving not to mention perfect for his songs and his type of storytelling.

His legacy and influence speak for themselves. He doesn't need RS. He deserves to be on the list, imo, but he doesn't need it.

Last edited:
That would not surprise me either if that ever happens. The state of shock sessions with Jagger were quite cold between the two or so I have heard.
If you had to lose Freddie Mercury then I probably would be a bit mad too. No offense to Jagger.

Agree 100%. Lots of people don't like Bob's voice - which is fair enough - and you could argue that it's not really beautiful in a conventional sense. But for me, his voice is incredibly effective, interesting and very moving not to mention perfect for his songs and his type of storytelling.

Yeah, that was Joe Strummer who said something like "I can't really sing, but I know how to use my voice on music" ... many have done successful careers in music this way and that's fine.

Also Dylan's catalog quality is very variable to me (sometimes he did so-called "lo-fi" records and changed his voice just go against public expectations) ... and later his voice changed a lot, starting from the 80s ... which makes it more difficult to me to get in his 90s and 90s albums so far.

Yeah, that was Joe Strummer who said something like "I can't really sing, but I know how to use my voice on music" ... many have done successful careers in music this way and that's fine.
My fave quote from Joe. :)

Also Dylan's catalog quality is very variable to me (sometimes he did so-called "lo-fi" records and changed his voice just go against public expectations) ... and later his voice changed a lot, starting from the 80s ... which makes it more difficult to me to get in his 90s and 90s albums so far.
Ngl, for me it's all about the 60's and 70's.

I personally like early 90s Dylan growling but nothing beats his 60s folk records except for that mid 70s return to form.
I think his best vocal performance is on Blood on the tracks. Idiot wind, if you see her say hello etc are shining examples of not being a perfect singer yet emitting great emotion making it superior music.

I personally like early 90s Dylan growling but nothing beats his 60s folk records except for that mid 70s return to form.
I think his best vocal performance is on Blood on the tracks. Idiot wind, if you see her say hello etc are shining examples of not being a perfect singer yet emitting great emotion making it superior music.
Idiot Wind is fab.

"People see me all the time
And they just can't remember how to act
Their minds are filled with big ideas
Images and distorted facts
Even you, yesterday
You had to ask me where it was at
I couldn't believe after all these years
You didn't know me better than that ..."

(lyrics by Bob Dylan)

These lyrics always make me think of Michael. :(

Johannes Brahms!
Brilliant!

Of course, that immediately makes me think of JS Bach. But that's kinda obvious. Then I thought, 'I, Governor Jerry Brown' from the Dead Kennedy's song. But Jerry Brown isn't a musician so that doesn't count.

I'm derailing the derail. :D

I'm gonna say Jet Black.

erm ... I'll go for John Bonham

Julos Beaucarne (French Belgian poet/singer...)

It's becoming really scarce ... after this one I have to search for them and mostly found a few very secondary members of some bands...)

It's becoming really scarce ... after this one I have to search for them and mostly found a few very secondary members of some bands...)
er, wow! No idea who your guy is. Cool name, though.

I've got Jeff Buckley who I wasn't gonna use bc I'm not fond of his work but, like you said, we're running out of peeps.

Wanted to use Jean-Michel Basquiat but he's not a musician so that's blatant cheating, lol. Have I used Jello Biafra? Don't think so. OK, I'm totally cheating, I'm doing two. Jeff Buckley and Jello Biafra. :D

Wanted to use Jean-Michel Basquiat but he's not a musician so that's blatant cheating, lol. Have I used Jello Biafra? Don't think so. OK, I'm totally cheating, I'm doing two. Jeff Buckley and Jello Biafra. :D

I don't want to go pages back but I wonder if Buckley wasn't already mentioned before I have started with JB names...
Thought of Jackson Blanket but I don't think he sings.
Also I haven't used Jello Biafra because not in the right order.
(the) Brothers Johnson ? (though it's a band and not a person and not in the right order)

Not really finding actually relevant names now.

I don't want to go pages back but I wonder if Buckley wasn't already mentioned before I have started with JB names...
can't remember, lol. It's all got so mad. :D

Thought of Jackson Blanket but I don't think he sings.
No idea who he is, lol. Good name, though.

Also I haven't used Jello Biafra because not in the right order.
???? 🤔

(the) Brothers Johnson ? (though it's a band and not a person and not in the right order)
Oh, but I like the idea of them being included. I'm up for breaking the (non-existent) rules! Love the Brothers Johnson.

Not really finding actually relevant names now.
Me neither so I'm gonna throw in James Baldwin just bc I can! I don't have anyone else.

One Michael Jackson's third child names. (but inverted to get JB and not BJ)
oh, of course. Blanket. Dozy me!

Oh it is in the right order, sorry... I'm tired.
Exactly. But the madness is strong so I had to log back on to say ... Jean-Jacques Burnel.

One of my fave bass players. I know it's a double 'J' but I'm tired so I don't care, lol. He's in!

Did this entire game about JB start when I mentioned JB wasn’t in the list? 😀

I think yes, something like that, 'was pages ago.
It's kind of a mixture of that and me kicking off and being melodramatic on another thread entirely about the whole 'JB' thing.

Either way, it's been a blast. Plus, I found a new singer. :)

Last edited:

Did this entire game about JB start when I mentioned JB wasn’t in the list? 😀
f&m, I'm trying to find out more about this guy mentioned by Maxym. Checking out various YT bits and bobs.

Back