“Scared Of The Moon” – The little song that could!

qbee

Proud Member
“Scared Of The Moon” – The little song that could!

<!-- Hupso Share Buttons -->

When the King of Pop passed away on June 25, 2009 he had unfinished business. No, I&#8217;m not talking about the fifty ill-fated &#8216;This Is It&#8217; concerts that awaited him in London. I&#8217;m talking about music &#8211; and lots of it.

Michael Jackson is notorious for taking longer than most artists to complete and release studio albums. This is because he was a perfectionist. For each album Jackson and his collaborators would work on more material than they needed, selecting only the very best tracks for the official release.

&#8220;As usual [Michael] goes in the studio and he does a lot of stuff, like hundreds of tapes and stuff, you know, and it was great,&#8221; recalls Quincy Jones &#8211; producer of Jackson&#8217;s &#8216;Off The Wall&#8217;, &#8216;Thriller&#8217; and &#8216;Bad&#8217; albums.

&#8220;And ['Bad'] is the [album] where I asked him to write all the tunes,&#8221; continues Jones. &#8220;I could see him just growing as an artist and understanding production and all that stuff. Michael had written thirty-three songs, and they were saying, &#8216;Well okay it&#8217;s showdown time &#8211; we gotta pick it.&#8217; &#8230; You can&#8217;t put thirty-three songs on a record. And he&#8217;d written some fantastic stuff! Really, really fantastic.&#8221;

One of the thirty-three songs that Jackson had written during the sessions that ultimately resulted in 1987&#8242;s &#8216;Bad&#8217; album was called &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221;. It did not make the final cut and for many years remained unknown to fans and unreleased.

&#8220;We used to record on tape,&#8221; recalls Brad Sundberg &#8211; Jackson&#8217;s longtime studio technical director and engineer. &#8221;Big two-inch, 24-track tapes.&#8221;

Matt Forger, another of Jackson&#8217;s longtime collaborators and studio engineers, recorded the original demo to &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221; at Westlake Studios. Jackson, a true professional, laid down all the vocals in a single session.

&#8220;They just did the background vocals, the lead vocal and the piano. That was it,&#8221; adds Sundberg.

&#8220;Then Matt broke the number one rule that you never break &#8211; he gave Michael the master tape. And once you hand anything to Michael Jackson you may as well just chuck it off a pier because you&#8217;re never ever going to see it again.&#8221;

A month or two passed by after recording Jackson&#8217;s &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221; vocals, before Forger got a call from the engineer at Evergreen Studios.

&#8220;The engineer was there at Evergreen, calling Matt, saying, &#8216;Hey I&#8217;ve got this Michael Jackson session for &#8216;Scared Of The Moon&#8217;. Michael is here and the string players are here but we don&#8217;t have a tape. Can you run the tape over?&#8217; And Matt&#8217;s like, &#8216;I don&#8217;t have the tape&#8230; I gave it to Michael!&#8217;&#8221;

So they went back and forth for a while, trying to figure out what could be done.

Fortunately, Matt still had a cassette copy of the original session, so he drove the cassette over to Evergreen. It wasn&#8217;t the original multitrack, but it was something.

They the proceeded to transfer the cassette tape onto the new multitrack, recorded the strings onto the multitrack, and then mixed it down.

&#8220;Now, from a recording engineer&#8217;s standpoint that&#8217;s just breaking every rule in the book,&#8221; says Sundberg of their experiment. &#8220;You can not take a vocal from a cassette and then put it back onto a multitrack and have it still sound that good.&#8221;

&#8220;Cassettes always have a little bit of hiss or warble, and I told Matt that it&#8217;s pure genius,&#8221; continues Sundberg. &#8220;It&#8217;s just absolutely amazing that it worked because that was the original vocal, and it was just a hokey, cute little song that Michael wanted to do &#8211; and we did dozens of those &#8211; we&#8217;d do lots of little snippets where Michael would have an idea and we would do a demo. But how &#8216;Scared Of The Moon&#8217; came about technically shouldn&#8217;t have worked, but it does. It was like the little engine that could. It&#8217;s the little song that could.&#8221;

&#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221; was not selected for 1987&#8242;s &#8216;Bad&#8217; album, and did not re-surface until around 1999, shortly after Jackson commenced collaborative sessions for the &#8216;Invincible&#8217; album.

&#8220;There are things that just stuck in his mind,&#8221; says Michael Prince &#8211; who worked extensively as one of Jackson&#8217;s trusted studio engineers between 1995 and 2009.

&#8220;Sometimes he writes new songs, and sometimes he wants to bring up something from the past that he knows is an unpolished gem.&#8221;

&#8220;I remember we did a little work on &#8216;Scared Of The Moon&#8217; for the &#8216;Invincible&#8217; album, actually. And I remember Steve Porcaro joking, &#8216;Oh that song again?&#8217; It&#8217;s so funny because I&#8217;d never heard it before. But that&#8217;s Michael&#8217;s way of doing things &#8211; he always revisited some of his favourite stuff. He&#8217;d say, &#8216;Why didn&#8217;t we put this on our last album? Let&#8217;s listen again. Can we make it any better?&#8217; Sometimes it makes it on the album and sometimes it doesn&#8217;t.&#8221;

In the end, the little work that was done on &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221; during the &#8216;Invincible&#8217; sessions was not applied to the pre-existing version of the song, and it went back into the vault in its pre-&#8217;Bad&#8217; state.

Then, in November 2004, Sony Music Entertainment&#8217;s Epic Records released a career-spanning box set of Michael Jackson&#8217;s finest work, consisting of both released and unreleased material. The set, called &#8216;The Ultimate Collection&#8217;, features a newly mixed version of &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221;.

Listen to &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221; below &#8211; as featured on &#8216;The Ultimate Collection&#8217;.

[video=youtube_share;6gnOtr3akiI]http://youtu.be/6gnOtr3akiI[/video]

Matt Forger was fittingly called back to put the finishing touches on the track, which is justly listed on &#8216;The Ultimate Collection&#8217; as a &#8220;demo&#8221;. Forger&#8217;s final mix includes the 24 tracks of strings, the original cassette vocal/piano and guitar tracks.

Despite the demo being officially released on &#8216;The Ultimate Collection&#8217; four years earlier, Jackson still wasn&#8217;t done with &#8220;Scared Of The Moon&#8221; in 2009.

It, along with many other tracks from different stages throughout his career, was featured in an extensive &#8220;to do&#8221; list Jackson never had the chance to action during his life. The handwritten note, seen below, details the titles of 28 songs he had hoped to &#8220;finish&#8221; (including &#8220;Cheater&#8221;; also from the &#8216;Bad&#8217; sessions &#8211; also released on &#8216;The Ultimate Collection&#8217;). The note was found taped to the King of Pop&#8217;s bedroom wall at the time of his death, on June 25th 2009 &#8211; twenty-four years after that &#8220;hokey&#8221; little demo was recorded at Westlake Studios.

28-songs-MJ-was-working-on.jpg

It's a beautiful song. I'm glad he did such a great story on it.

Michael's "Scared of the Moon" is a metaphor for childhood fears we needlessly carry into adulthood, that can incapacitate us and causes us not to grow & see what is beautiful.

Brad Sundberg commented with more info. Someone questioned when it was created and why Vogels info was different.

Great job. I love that story and I appreciate your re-telling it. Morinen, truthfully I have not read Joe&#8217;s book (nor was interviewed!), but I know Joe does a great job of compiling as many facts and stories as possible. Michael was a very complex guy with a lot going on at any given time, so I try to avoid thinking or saying I know every detail about every song and project. Moon, however, according to my friend Matt Forger, was after Thriller and before Bad. I know many of his readers have grown up on CDs and iPods, so the crummy quality of a cassette pre-dates you. In the studio we went to great lengths to make every cassette for Michael, Quincy and Bruce sound as pristine as possible. Still, it would never be regarded as &#8220;master quality.&#8221; That is why I love this story, and this song, so much. As he stated, it shouldn&#8217;t work&#8230; but it did. Nice job.

I love this song and I will love it even more after reading this.

BTW, did not Michael write it about Brooke Shields' little niece or something like that?

Wonderful article :agree:

The first time I heard that song, the tears rolled down my face :blush:

It's such a beautiful song :bow:

This got me :lol:

“Then Matt broke the number one rule that you never break – he gave Michael the master tape. And once you hand anything to Michael Jackson you may as well just chuck it off a pier because you’re never ever going to see it again.”

:hysterical:

Scared of the Moon is hauntingly beautiful! It breaks my heart to see that little list of songs there and how he couldn't add more magic to these already wonderful pieces :sigh:

it's a symphonic vision of creativity and divine layers of purely inspiration vocals, listen to it all the time on TUC cd's.. sounds even greater upscaled on my Blu-Ray player. it could have done will if officially released on one of Michael's studio albums but i'm glad he released it in 2004 on TUC. wonderful gift.

I always pictured a full story book with this song, and/or an animated video describing this story.. Or what just came into my mind, the description that most of you are giving here "haunting beautiful"... You know what director comes to mind to me? Someone that has that "haunting" feel yet often has "beautiful" cinematography? Tim Burton....

I always pictured a full story book with this song, and/or an animated video describing this story.. Or what just came into my mind, the description that most of you are giving here "haunting beautiful"... You know what director comes to mind to me? Someone that has that "haunting" feel yet often has "beautiful" cinematography? Tim Burton....

That's a good idea. It would make such a great release to not only have these songs on the CD but also a booklet which details the background of each song that way.

A nice article for a nice, underrated ballad. I thought this whole time that the song was originally created during the Thriller sessions (hence why it was on disc 2 of the Ultimate Collection with all of the other Thriller songs), but I suppose not. I'm also curious as to what MJ had in mind when he wanted to remix the song in '09, but alas, we'll never know.

This song reminds me of the walt disney animated classsics. It just has that whole aura of DISNEY.

Thank you for this thread, sisters and brothers,

Scared of the moon breaks my heart every time I hear it. It is a masterpiece, I feel, the music so fairytale like and sweet - and the lyrics so terribly dark. I love the article, I love the fanmade video - and I love all of your comments.

To me, the lyrics are a bout a child having been abused and now, as a grown, she in a home for mentally ill - because of what the abuse did to her - and together with likeminded she is still scared, and they go into therapy - but are still scared.

I could try to do an analyzis to show why I think as I think, should anyone be interested in that.

The combination of the fairytale like song and the dark lyrics so brilliantly underline the complex nature of an innocent child having been abused.

Thank you, Michael, for this heartbreaking masterpiece.

LOVE
Betelgeuse

To me, the lyrics are about a child having been abused and now, as a grown, she in a home for mentally ill - because of what the abuse did to her - and together with likeminded she is still scared, and they go into therapy - but are still scared

I can imagine she was abused when she was very young.
She doesn´t remember what happened but when she was abused she saw the moon and she connects moon with scary things.

Scared of the Moon, the little song that could!

When the King of Pop passed away on June 25, 2009, he had unfinished business. No, I'm not talking about the fifty ill-fated concerts that awaited him in London; I'm talking about music; and lots of it.

Michael Jackson is notorious for taking longer than most artists to complete and release studio albums. This is because he was a perfectionist. For each album, Jackson and his collaborators would work on more material than they needed, selecting only the very best tracks for the official release.

"As usual, Michael goes in the studio, and he does a lot of stuff, like hundreds of tapes and stuff, and it was great", recalls Quincy Jones, producer of Jacksons' Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad albums.

"And Bad is the album where I asked him to write all the tunes", continues Jones. "I could see him just growing as an artist and understanding production and all that stuff. Michael had written thirty-three songs, and they were saying, 'Okay, it's showdown time, we've got to pick it.' You can't put thirty-three songs on a record, and he'd written some fantastic stuff."

One of the thirty-three songs that Jackson had written during the sessions that ultimately resulted in 1987's Bad album was called "Scared of the Moon." It did not make the final cut and for many years remained unknown to fans and unreleased.

"We used to record on tape", recalls Brad Sundberg, the longtime studio technical director and engineer, on big two-inch 24 track tapes.

Matt Forger, another of Jackson's longtime collaborators and studio engineers, recorded the original demo to "Scared of the Moon" at Westlake Studios. Jackson, a true professional, laid down all the vocals in a single session.

"They just did the background vocals, the lead vocal, and the piano. That was it", adds Sundberg.

Then Matt broke the number one rule that you never break; he gave Michael the master tape, and once you hand anything to Michael Jackson, you may as well just chuck it off a pier because you're never going to see it again.

A month or two passed after recording Jackson's "Scared of the Moon" vocals before Forger got a call from the engineer at Evergreen Studios.

The engineer was there at Evergreen calling Matt and saying, "Hey, I've got this Michael Jackson session for Scared of the Moon. Michael is here, and the string players are here, but we don't have a tape. Can you run the tape over?" Matt said, "I don't have the tape. I gave it to Michael."

So they went back and forth for a while, trying to figure out what could be done.

Fortunately, Matt still had a cassette copy of the original session, so he drove the cassette over to Evergreen. It wasn't the original multitrack, but it was something.

They then proceeded to transfer the cassette tape onto the new multitrack, record the strings onto the multitrack, and then mix it down.

"Now, from a recording engineer's standpoint, that's just breaking every rule in the book", says Sundberg of their experiment. You cannot take a vocal from a cassette and then put it back onto a multitrack and have it still sound that good.

"Cassettes always have a little bit of hiss or warble, and I told Matt that it's pure genius", continues sundberg. "It's just absolutely amazing that it worked because that was the original vocal and it was just a hokey cute little song that Michael wanted to do, and we did dozens of those. We would do lots of little snippets where Michael would have an idea and we would do a demo, but how Scared of the Moon came about technically shouldn't have worked, but it does. It was like the little engine that could; it was the little song that could."

Scared of the Moon was not selected for 1987's Bad album and did not resurface until around 1999, shortly after Jackson commenced collaborative sessions for the Invincible album.

"There are things that just stuck in his mind", says Michael Prince, who worked extensively as one of Jackson's trusted studio engineers between 1995 and 2009.

"Sometimes he writes new songs, and sometimes he wants to bring up something from the past that he knows is an unpolished gem.

I remember we did a little work on Scared of the Moon for the Invincible album, and I remember Steve Porcaro joking, 'Oh, that song again, it's so funny because I'd never heard it before.' But that's Michael's way of doing things; he always revisited some of his favorite stuff. He'd say, 'Why didn't we put this on our last album? Let's listen again. Can we make it any better?' Sometimes it makes it on the album, and sometimes it doesn't."

In the end, the little work that was done on Scared of the Moon during the Invincible sessions was not applied to the preexisting version of the song, and it went back into the vault in its Pre-Bad state.

In November 2004, Sony Music Entertainment's Epic Records released a career-spanning box set of Michael Jackson's finest work, consisting of both released and unreleased material. The set, called The Ultimate Collection, features a newly mixed version of "Scared of the Moon."

Listen to "Scared of the Moon" below, as featured on the Ultimate Collection.

(You already know, what it sounds like.)

Matt Forger was fittingly called back to put the finishing touches on the track, which is justly listed on The Ultimate Collection as a demo. Forger's final mix includes the 24 tracks of strings, the original cassette vocal, piano, and guitar tracks.

Despite the demo being officially released on The Ultimate Collection four years earlier, Jackson still wasn't done with Scared of the Moon in 2009.

It, along with many other tracks from different stages throughout his career, was featured in an extensive to-do list that Jackson never had the chance to complete during his life. The handwritten note seen below details the titles of 28 songs he had hoped to finish, including Cheater from the Bad Sessions, also released on the Ultimate Collection. The note was found taped to the King of Pop's bedroom wall at the time of his death on June 25th, 2009, twenty-four years after that hokey little demo was recorded at Westlake Studios.

Guess I could've also, just, linked to the original article.

Ah well.

So 33 songs written for Bad, it is specific number. Now who can name them all so we can see what is as of now unheard?

This song was recorded for a book Michael was writing at the time. Another example of Michael having so many ideas that never came to fruition

Back