Sing-rapping (melodic rap)

arXter

Proud Member
we've all heard MJ's Shout and Tabloid Junkie, which is the sort of singsong delivery of rap i'm referring to.

many rap acts have done or are known for this melodic style, and yesterday i watched a docu on Ol' Dirty Bastard where he claimed to have invented the style back with the Wu-Tang in early 90s. nowadays in pop we have the likes of Akon, Cee-Lo, Nelly and Estelle, and even Kanye is venturing into it.

200px-Labcabincalifornia.jpg

The Pharcyde

Runnin'

Emerald Butterfly

AqueminiOutKast.jpg

Outkast

Liberation

Rosa Parks

Johnny "Guitar" Watson ~ Telephone Bill

Kurtis Blow featuring Bob Dylan ~ Street Rock

Cameo ~ She's Strange

Sergio Mendes, Q-Tip & will.i.am - The Frog

The Frog feat. Q-Tip & will.i.am - Sergio Mendes

Digital Underground - Same Song

Same Song (Edit Version) - Digital Underground

Lyfe Jennings feat. Snoop Dogg - Old School

Old School feat. Snoop Dogg - Lyfe Jennings

Notorious B.I.G. & Jay-Z - I Love The Dough - Biggie had a lot of rhythm in his rhymes, but Jay-Z can sometimes be all over the map. This was an excellent rap song because it was a real head-nodder.

I Love The Dough feat. Jay-Z & Angela Winbush - The Notorious B.I.G.

Jurassic 5 - In The House [2006]

Jurassic 5, one of my favourite underground acts (influenced by The Cold Crush Brothers of the 80s):

vpuvzp.jpg

In The House

It sounds like melodic rap, especially this part:

"Started with a rhyme from old ancent times
Decedents of warlocks,
Witches with ill glitches
Children of the matrix be hittin' them car switches
Seen some Virgin Virgos hanging out with Venus Bitches."

That part is da sh*t man...

yep definitely. Erykah started out rapping and writing poems. the only time i saw her live was in London two years ago where she broke into this:

Like I said, can't nobody f*ck wit hur :p I'm still waiting for Part 2: Return Of The Ankh

How about this:

[youtube]sjWG1h5j4eE&feature=related[/youtube]

Prince - The pope is the best example of sing rapping and the one of the best to do it

we've all heard MJ's Shout and Tabloid Junkie, which is the sort of singsong delivery of rap i'm referring to.

many rap acts have done or are known for this melodic style, and yesterday i watched a docu on Ol' Dirty Bastard where he claimed to have invented the style back with the Wu-Tang in early 90s. nowadays in pop we have the likes of Akon, Cee-Lo, Nelly and Estelle, and even Kanye is venturing into it.

200px-Labcabincalifornia.jpg

The Pharcyde

Runnin'

Emerald Butterfly

AqueminiOutKast.jpg

Outkast

Liberation

Rosa Parks

i don't know. to me, Tabloid Junkie doesn't fit there. MJ and his melody really come across as a regular song there, despite the staccato. there are moments where he holds notes and vibrato..and the spirit of that melody just doesn't come across as Nelly's music does..for example..

Back