Sky Arts 1 shows MJ Immortal world tour on 25th December

So Branca says that it actually was Michael's idea to be called KoP? What about the Elizabeth Taylor version?

So Branca says that it actually was Michael's idea to be called KoP? What about the Elizabeth Taylor version?

I always believed it was MJ who thought of it,for me adding Elizabeth Taylor's name to it was just for credibility(she of course later mentioned it in a speech)....same as Diana Ross discovering J5.

Anyone else BLOWN AWAY by that Man In The Mirror vocal? Just a tiny little snippet but that power! Reminded me how much I miss him.

It was in a 2 hour slot with ads. How long is the long version?
REALLY??

Omg did someone record it?

We've never had the full version in English before!

I'm assuming it's about 90 mins without commercials..

Is someone able to upload it to 2000 Watts?

I'd love to watch it!

Anyone else BLOWN AWAY by that Man In The Mirror vocal? Just a tiny little snippet but that power! Reminded me how much I miss him.
I wonder if there's any way to hear a longer version of that? I would LOVE that!

^ but TinnyandOdd talked about hearing MITM longer version, not watching it. Is it not the same MITM that's on the CD?

Is anyone else not able to see the 2000 Watts forum? I had the pw and was able to see it as a forum option to click on but I can't see it anymore....?

Billie Jean 78;4066435 said:

Silverstone;4066437 said:
I always believed it was MJ who thought of it,for me adding Elizabeth Taylor's name to it was just for credibility(she of course later mentioned it in a speech)....same as Diana Ross discovering J5.

Branca is wrong and I am unsure why he would continue a damaging (read: egotistical) myth regarding Michael.

However, as I had pointed out earlier, it is somewhat interesting that, while we see Michael laying down a very deliberate plan to be The King of Pop (in essence, at least) he never once uses that term. He says he will be “MJ,” but not The King of Pop. In fact, long before Elizabeth Taylor (often credited with coining the phrase) called him “The King of Pop, Rock, and Soul” at a 1989 awards show, it seemed the press had already crowned him The King of Pop-as early as 1984!

king-of-pop.jpg

New York Post, Feb 1984

He is also referred to as “The Reigning King of Pop” in this Decemeber 7, 1984 “Chicago Sun-Times” Article:

king-of-pop-2.jpg

reigning-king-of-pop.jpg

Of course, just because Michael didn’t “self proclaim” himself The King of Pop doesn’t mean he didn’t love the title! His public embarrassment over it to the contrary, I think he loved it! You know he did.
http://www.allforloveblog.com/?p=8143

I love these old newspaper articles-especially the one from the NY Post. They were (are) one of the worst in perpetuating the WJ thing and also "self proclaimed King of Pop." Whenever they do it, commenters should have pasted their OWN article right back at 'em.

Is anyone else not able to see the 2000 Watts forum? I had the pw and was able to see it as a forum option to click on but I can't see it anymore....?
It changed a few weeks ago-there's an announcement around here. But it's now part of the MJJC Club-you're automatically in it if you're a donator member.

Branca is wrong and I am unsure why he would continue a damaging (read: egotistical) myth regarding Michael.
I don't think he has any reason to lie. Maybe Michael wanted to be called King of Pop. He didn't call himself that in the public but he may have wanted to be called that.

Branca is**wrong**and I am unsure why he would continue a damaging (read: egotistical) myth regarding Michael.
-------------------

What like the jackson family

I wonder if there's any way to hear a longer version of that? I would LOVE that!

That's all we've got at the moment but it takes it to another level. Hopefully one day we can get all of the acapella's in crystal clear quality to fully show off Michael's vocal power.

Galactus123, he is wrong. Simple as.

I am unsure why anyone would have an issue with that but, that would be their issue to resolve if they so choose.

Michael did not invent his own nickname; not the positive names and not the negative names.

^ but TinnyandOdd talked about hearing MITM longer version, not watching it. Is it not the same MITM that's on the CD?

With ya now...I'm not sure,I haven't listened to that CD in donkeys and watched the documentary the other night drunk so I can't recall it all that well either.:drunk:

In the video John Branca said that he had conversation with Michael about it and Michael wanted to be called King of Pop.

That was always my understanding of it...whether right or wrong or who initially thought of it,it doesn't matter to me...MJ is the king of pop.(full stop)

Galactus123 , the nickname did NOT originate with Michael. Michael wanted to adopt the nickname – as he did indirectly through Taylor’s speech. Adopting the nickname is different than creating the nickname. Michael did not self-proclaim himself KOP; he did however appreciate the moniker and assigned it to himself.

Very confusing why anyone on a MJ forum would have an issue with such a correction. Better to know the truth, eh?

^^thats what I think happened as well. I don't think Branca realizes by telling his part of the story this way that we'll immediately think self proclaimed and take offense.
I just wish they had kept the Entire name.
Much more appropriate.

Barbee0715, indeed, it is how it happened. Suggesting Michael originated the name perpetuates the ridiculous myth that Michael sought to create a title that was similar to Elvis. Nothing could be farther from the truth as Michael did not chase Elvis’ fame as some believe. He exceeded Elvis in most records.

SarahJ, Michael definitely earned the title in 1984 with the success of Thriller.

Tygger;4066637 said:
Barbee0715, indeed, it is how it happened. Suggesting Michael originated the name perpetuates the ridiculous myth that Michael sought to create a title that was similar to Elvis. Nothing could be farther from the truth as Michael did not chase Elvis’ fame as some believe. He exceeded Elvis in most records.

SarahJ, Michael definitely earned the title in 1984 with the success of Thriller.
We know, Tygger. He definitely didn't create this-again, I just wish they hadn't shortened the title-should have been the King of Pop, Rock and Soul always because that's what he became with Thriller-and continues to be to this day.

Last edited:
Tygger;4066637 said:

delete duplicate

Last edited:
Barbee0715, not everyone knows so I took a moment to explain.

I am fine with King of Pop. I personally do not see Michael as King of Rock. laughs

I don't think MJ started the King of pop thing. - But I am very sure he wanted it to stick.

In his own releases - HIStory for example - there are pictures of signs saying King of Pop - and didn't he also use it in the Dangerous short film release - and it he HIStory vhs/dvd releases.

I am sure he loved the name and really wanted it to be his label. - just like Elvis had The King etc. I see nothing wrong in that.

Michael Jackson truely is the one and only true King of Pop !!

I am fine with King of Pop. I personally do not see Michael as King of Rock. laughs
Well, as somebody who definitely is not a "rock girl" and to paraphrase somebody else: "Beat It" and "Dirty Diana" are the kind of rock songs I would buy, if I wanted to get in my car, go to the record store, and buy a rock song.
And when I hear the term "rock god", I immediately picture Michael's version of "Come Together."

So yeah, I think the whole title is appropriate. :)

Back