Slave To The Rhythm on Dangerous?

If a gun was to my head and I had to cut something from the Dangerous album, I would probably go with Keep the Faith.

KOPV;4162413 said:
Flymetothemoon - I agree with a lot of what you said, my ocd side has to say though that it's a group that decides really what's on the album.. Yes a group generally put together by Michael but they voted on what makes the album.. Michael wanted Streetwalker instead of Another Part Of me... Would it still be a perfect album? Because if we were here saying "Why didn't we have APOM over Streetwalker.. than we'd say "Don't mess with the album"..

Picture the Bad era without APOM song/video/performance.. that video was many peoples first look at MJ on stage doing his thing in all his glory for a specific generation that was not around for Motown 25.. Plus, he came into his own much more since then...

Oh, I´m pretty sure Michael was the boss when it came to his music:).

But, okay, I don´t know that he wanted Streetwalker (which I never liked because to me it´s a rather exchangeable song) instead of APOM (which I do like very much because of all what it has and, of course, the pictures of his:wub: incredible live performances). Really??? Would it be a perfect album for me? Maybe I always would proceed to the next song? I don´t know:).

3 words to Keep The Faith. Wow - such a great song! Michaels voice - so strong and expressive!!!. The choir, the lyrics - I love it.

Despite being one of Mikes most powerful vocal performances the song is not good enough. Imo it's so generic. Dangerous is perfect the way it is

Last edited:
KOPV;4162413 said:
Yes a group generally put together by Michael but they voted on what makes the album...

No, MJ himself had the final say on both the official order (of the songs) & the official tracklist of his ‘Dangerous’ album:

“… He [MJ] is the only one who makes the decision. I’m giving him my opinion, but he would not let anyone do the final cut. In the studio there is a little board over which we put stickers. On each one of them, there is a name of the new song. That board is the final selection of the songs the album ['Dangerous'] will contain. Every day Michael changes the place of the stickers. He takes a song off, replaces it with another, changes the order of the titles... Every time I look at the board, something has been changed. That has been going on for months and it will be going until Michael makes the perfect selection ...” (Bruce Swedien, Black & White Magazine, 1994)

If a gun was to my head and I had to cut something from the Dangerous album, I would probably go with Keep the Faith.

If there was a gun to my head, and I had to cut something from Dangerous, I'd rather die

To the next person who suggests amending Dangerous in any way, I'm going to come round to your house on Christmas Day and piss on your turkey.

It seems that you will never get rid of your stupidity.

Last edited:
No Michael Jackson album is the Holy Bible. They can all be amended in various ways to make them subjectively "better".

The uncut version of "The Lady in My Life" should have appeared on Thriller, for example. Several tracks on Dangerous ramble onward for an unnecessarily long time and could do with an edit or two (the title track, "Jam," "Who Is It," "Will You Be There"). The majority of Invincible should be cut and replaced with stronger outtakes (almost anything from the sessions).

"Slave to the Rhythm" is vocally stronger than most of what made Dangerous but doesn't fit anywhere in the track listing in its present demo state in terms of consistency and genre affiliation.

Side note: I feel the best version of "Slave to the Rhythm" we've heard thus far is the Bieber edit simply because the instrumentation is excellent. That's followed by the Tricky Stewart leaked cut, then the Timbaland album version, then the demo.

Last edited:
No Michael Jackson album is the Holy Bible. They can all be amended in various ways to make them objectively "better".

The uncut version of "The Lady in My Life" should have appeared on Thriller, for example. Several tracks on Dangerous ramble onward for an unnecessarily long time and could do with an edit or two (the title track, "Jam," "Who Is It," "Will You Be There"). The majority of Invincible should be cut and replaced with stronger outtakes (almost anything from the sessions).

"Slave to the Rhythm" is vocally stronger than most of what made Dangerous but doesn't fit anywhere in the track listing in its present demo state in terms of consistency and genre affiliation.

Side note: I feel the best version of "Slave to the Rhythm" we've heard thus far is the Bieber edit simply because the instrumentation is excellent. That's followed by the Tricky Stewart leaked cut, then the Timbaland album version, then the demo.

I honestly can't believe you've suggested editing Who Is It or Jam.

Every mother****ing second of those two songs is justifiable and with their weight in gold.

In fact I love the demo Who Is It that lasts even longer.

I wonder if this is a modern generation thing of short attention span?

You're right about the full LIML on Thriller though! Ironically you went for a longer versions vs. a short one there!!

No Michael Jackson album is the Holy Bible. They can all be amended in various ways to make them objectively "better".

Surely, you wanted to say "subjectively". Because I do not think anything that you suggested about Dangerous would make it better. To me it looks like butchering it. LOL. Anyway, the point is, your opinion is just as good as anyone's, so I would hardly call it "objective".

I honestly can't believe you've suggested editing Who Is It or Jam.

Every mother****ing second of those two songs is justifiable and with their weight in gold.

In fact I love the demo Who Is It that lasts even longer.

I wonder if this is a modern generation thing of short attention span?

Gotta disagree there. "Who Is It" particularly is an exquisite track but the final two minutes (give or take) features nothing that would warrant such an overtly unnecessary run time. Not within the vocals (there are bursts of excellency in the ad-libs) or the instrumentation or the production. Same with "Jam"; the textures are similar and loop for around six minutes without much variation.

This has nothing to do with attention spans or generational gaps. This is coming from a person who adores both parts of Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience, which includes a total of 26 songs, only six of which run under five minutes (and 13 exceed six minutes).

"Superfly Sister" does a much better job at keeping you attentive for a six and a half minute run time.

Surely, you wanted to say "subjectively". Because I do not think anything that you suggested about Dangerous would make it better. To me it looks like butchering it. LOL. Anyway, the point is, your opinion is just as good as anyone's, so I would hardly call it "objective".

Whoops! I did mean to put subjective. Thanks for pointing that out (y)

This has nothing to do with attention spans or generational gaps. This is coming from a person who adores both parts of Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience, which includes a total of 26 songs, only six of which run under five minutes (and 13 exceed six minutes).

Interesting. I never felt any track on Dangerous was unnecessarily long, while I do feel that all the time about these overly long Justin Timberlake tracks.

Gotta disagree there. "Who Is It" particularly is an exquisite track but the final two minutes (give or take) features nothing that would warrant such an overtly unnecessary run time. Not within the vocals (there are bursts of excellency in the ad-libs) or the instrumentation or the production. Same with "Jam"; the textures are similar and loop for around six minutes without much variation.

"Superfly Sister" does a much better job at keeping you attentive for a six and a half minute run time.

That's the beauty of Jam! It takes me back to the old school funk records that used to last for almost 10 minutes where you just zone out and get caught in the groove.

Although imo Superfly Sister is the superior track. It's one of my all time favorites

In the words of Stephen Hawking, "the final two minutes of Michael Jackson's 'Who Is it?' is, quite simply, the most exquisite piece of music ever to be recorded in the history of mankind'.

It's so funny to see the diversity of tastes. I agree with Tony about the length of Jam and Who is it. I don't find it excessive in either of those cases. If there is one song on Dangerous that I think drags a bit too long is the title track itself. There is a definite sonic coolness about it and the Fred Astaire movie inspiration also adds a nice touch, but still I feel it could have a been bit shorter.

I also think Superfly Sister stretches on for a bit too long. Sorry, Always There :p You mentioned Justin Timberlake's songs - I really, really love quite a few of them. I really like how some of his collaborations with Timbaland manage to capture and retain my attention with all the differing tempos, beats and lyrics. I don't find anything boring or repetitive about them and not all are 20/20.

Oh, and the question of the thread - although I really like the Slave song I don't think it belonged on Dangerous. I think it would have been a bit ahead of its time. Wasn't it Michael's habit to work on songs for years upon decades and then release them only when he thought it was the appropriate time?

Disclaimer. I love the vocals on Slave To The Rhythm, although every mix to me is lacking ( just my opinion )

Putting a song like Slave To The Rhythm on a masterpiece of an album like Dangerous, is like having a fine whiskey and diluting with cheap orange juice.

It seems not. Any advice though gratefully received.

The fact that you are still (or pretend to be) unaware of your infinite stupidity makes your whole situation even sadder.

Also, advices do not help at all when it comes to chronic & incurable mental conditions (like your case). You should have known that.

I am afraid the link is completely irrelevant in that case.

(my last off-topic reply here)

The fact that you are still (or pretend to be) unaware of your infinite stupidity makes your whole situation even sadder.

Also, advices do not help at all when it comes to chronic & incurable mental conditions (like your case). You should have known that.

Made my day!

Cheers.

Are you still joking? Because it's become hard to tell.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.....

The songs on Dangerous are all the perfect length. The Outro of Dangerous itself is magnigficent.

Unfortunately, this did not translate well with Invincible. I see a lot of parallels between Dangerous and Invincible, with Invincible missing the mark in many of the categories.

How could anyone trade out hearing MJ in his lower registers in Who Is it? the song at the time was so different than what we've gotten... It's a gem!

I don't like replacing songs at all, but I do enjoy listening to Slave To The Rhythm more than to Can't Let Her Get Away. Don't know, it just isn't my song I guess. But it should not be changed under any circumstances, because this is how Michael wanted it. He felt CLHGA was a more appropriate choice for Dangerous, he could have easily chosen STTR as well, he just had to work on it for some time I guess to perfect it, but it was his choice to leave it like it was and release Dangerous as it is.

Michael always said he wanted to feel and follow his instinct. I respect him for that.

Back