So... what’s the Estate’s next move?

MJ_Jordan

Proud Member
What do we think the Estate will be doing now this Mockumentary is airing round the globe?

What CAN be done next?

A documentary of their own detailing the real facts?

I really hope they have something planned!

Tear HBO to shreds however possible.

If they're cooperating with Taj's documentary, they need to rally behind him one thousand percent.

After that? There's nothing they can do.

-A rebuttal documentary.

-Some type of bombshell evidence that proves the accusers are liars.

That's all I can think of for now.

I think all efforts should go towards a well thought out and well organized rebuttal. Whether Branca makes his own rebuttal or he assists Taj in his project.

First, claim copyright on footage and songs used in LN.

This! I kept wondering how they were able to use footage from Thriller, Black or White, Bad Tour etc?

Maybe, the copyright claim will be included in the lawsuit against HBO.

It's a tough call.

Initially, I felt they should have gone guns blazing. But the more I thought about it, the more I understood why they didn't.

Mounting a huge pushback campaign before or during the broadcast would have literally drawn many more to watch the source content (LN) to "see what the fuss is all about." It'd almost have been promotion for HBO. So it was smart being somewhat quiet.

Then there's the odd climate we're in. #MeToo and trial by social media. We literally live in a time when one can say anything and it automatically happened just because they said it. I'm such a supporter of people speaking up about things previous eras may have made difficult, but statistically and empirically not every single claim is truth. Still, even if people are rightly side-eyeing these accusers, destroying them in an obvious way is too old school an approach and runs risk of some people looking at it as re-victimising the "victim". It's just not good for optics.

So , I think the Estate done the following well already:

* Taking a generally quiet approach publicly (limits the convo)

* Limiting exposure to LN for fans with the concert streams (keeps up positivity and focus on why we love him)

* Suing HBO (shows sufficient awareness of the threat LN poses to his legacy and is a chest-out move to show "we will clap back")

* I also feel/assume that they have involvement in carting out Taj on the media rounds. Also, knowing how media-buys work, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in the helping with the bus ads. But that part is just a guess.

Onto what they should do:

1) Some kind of rebuttal doc. I've gone back and forth about this in my mind because it too extends the narrative about something that could well blow over. But leaving things as is is risky. Because we presently don't have the foresight to see where the pendulum of public opinion on MJ will land once LN is a distant memory. It didn't do anything ratings wise, but the discourse surrounding it wasn't good at all. So they need to produce something and land fairly big, global distribution for it (Netflix?).

Furthermore, it needs to be Estate-endorsed (meaning go heavy on the official music, videos, and performance footage, so as to remind people why they love him) and have a clear innocent agenda. I also feel it best if it's framed by a independent entity like a Spike Lee or another critically celebrated director. Who, unlike Dan Reed, understands the necessity of telling a balanced story even when pushing a specific agenda (in this case Michael's innocence).

So Taj's doc ought to emerge as another supporting doc to the main Estate one (more the merrier). Or if they team up to do it together, he should be behind it but not necessarily at the forefront. Because some will just stress the fact he's a Jackson and dilute all the receipts he'll bring with "oh he has an agenda" or "he would say that"

Lastly on the doc front, I actually think they should take their time with it and strategically drop it during a quieter window. Dropping it anytime soon-soon just relates it back to LN which is still to air in many international markets. We don't want the promotional push for the rebuttal doc to be the Cat and Mouse that has the promo for LN. I.e. Dan n co hitting up one platform, with the Jackson's following the next day. It needs to be standalone project and one that is pushed heavily. The have the means go above and beyond with the media push too. Billboards, ads, everything.

2) Use the media in a slow and steady capacity to reshape the perception of Wade and co aka seed stories on the TMZ's etc. Again, going guns blazing now wouldn't be wise and only promotes LN. But doing so when Wade and co aren't on the media trail is best bet.

There should be a well done rebuttal docu with some serious investigative journalism
that explains ALL controversies that surrounded him
and gives insight to the big lies and greed he had to deal with all of his life.

Give it a sensational title that will also attrackt the undecided or even haters ..."Michael Jackson - mysteries, lies and money" or whatever.

*dreaming*

Last edited:
There should be a well done rebuttal docu with some serious investigative journalism
that explains ALL controversies that surrounded him
and gives insight to the big lies and greed he had to deal with all of his life.

*dreaming*

If they will work or a new doc, I prefer that they will not work on it quickly.
3-4 years working on a new doc. will be enough.

I would like to see the estate held accountable for their non-existent defence of his legacy. Has anyone seen Branca?? McClain, i believe, must be the invisible man cause he just doesn't seem to exist. One thing this mess has confirmed for me is that the estate don't give one damn about MJ or his legacy. Their only interest is the "brand" which I believe is now beyond repair. Wouldn't surprise me if they resigned saying that they can no longer represent MJ as they have made their fortune of his name. Or maybe they'll be happy selling poor remixes, reissues , t-shirts to whatever fan base will still be left.
Will never understand the fan support for the estate given all they have evidently done in the last 10 years. They are complicit in the destruction of his legacy through sheer incompetence. Fake songs, silly cartoons, stick of chalk and now.....when he needs an army to fight a war...... we get 10 page letters that only the hardcore fans will read.
This is the end of MJ being celebrated as we have known it. I hope it will also see the fanbase wakeup and let the estate know that they have let the fans, family and most of all MJ and his legacy , completely down and ruined any possibility of his work being fully celebrated.

The estate is active in this ongoing social media thing we just can’t see it. Just remember that they have already stated this. Just because you can’t see it thing are going on behind the seens. I say go a head with whatever they planned to release this year. Drop a new song it will go straight to number one in June. MJ will be even bigger soon you wait and see.

Smooth72;4246644 said:
The estate is active in this ongoing social media thing we just can’t see it. Just remember that they have already stated this. Just because you can’t see it thing are going on behind the seens. I say go a head with whatever they planned to release this year. Drop a new song it will go straight to number one in June. MJ will be even bigger soon you wait and see.

Sorry I don't share your enthusiasm in regards to the Estate.

They are doing something we can't see......sounds great,I'll wait in anticipation to what on earth that could be.

As djlf said above "Fake songs, silly cartoons, stick of chalk and now.....when he needs an army to fight a war...... we get 10 page letters that only the hardcore fans will read"

Hardly encouraging!
I'd go as far as to say the Estate are a disgrace to MJ.

Something more needed to be done by them now, if they come out afterwards with something it doesn't have the same effect. Fans have been fighting for days with no help, what's the point in coming out with something once its died now.

djlf;4246626 said:
I would like to see the estate held accountable for their non-existent defence of his legacy. Has anyone seen Branca?? McClain, i believe, must be the invisible man cause he just doesn't seem to exist. One thing this mess has confirmed for me is that the estate don't give one damn about MJ or his legacy. Their only interest is the "brand" which I believe is now beyond repair. Wouldn't surprise me if they resigned saying that they can no longer represent MJ as they have made their fortune of his name. Or maybe they'll be happy selling poor remixes, reissues , t-shirts to whatever fan base will still be left.
Will never understand the fan support for the estate given all they have evidently done in the last 10 years. They are complicit in the destruction of his legacy through sheer incompetence. Fake songs, silly cartoons, stick of chalk and now.....when he needs an army to fight a war...... we get 10 page letters that only the hardcore fans will read.
This is the end of MJ being celebrated as we have known it. I hope it will also see the fanbase wakeup and let the estate know that they have let the fans, family and most of all MJ and his legacy , completely down and ruined any possibility of his work being fully celebrated.

Dont despair, Howard Weitzman made this amazing rebuttal:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Estate Of Michael Jackson attorney Howard Weitzman speaks about <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LeavingNeverland?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LeavingNeverland</a> <a href="https://t.co/S50rlc1NJZ">pic.twitter.com/S50rlc1NJZ</a></p>&mdash; #MJINNOCENT (@MJStarOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJStarOfficial/status/1102850822491308033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe making a documentary about people wrongfully accusing high-profile celebrities for money? Add into that some "Last Days of Michael Jackson"-drama about how he suffered, his anxiety, panic attacks, his collapse in his shower, his suicidal thoughts, people crying, etc. Let people see how much this man went through in his life, all caused by PARASITES!!!

I totally agree with you. If anyone has tarnished Michaels name and reputation it's the estate. I've said before there lack of defence is astounding. How can people have faith in them?

"Doing all they can"?? "Weitzman made an amazing rebuttal"??
You gotta be kidding me. Mark my words, this is the end of mj being celebrated. Its over, and the estate just sat back and let it happen. They shoulda put this mess to the sword years ago.

I'm waiting to hear literally anything about their plans to give me hope, anything at all.

It really does not matter what the estate does legally.. People will always feel like the estate has a huge incentive behind any move they do. They need to work privately with entities with their names OUT of it. Like how Starbucks owns various local coffee shops to reach people that are 'anti establishment'.. They need their name OUT of pro Michael projects, even IF they contribute.Working with Taj on the docu-series and so on without any legal ties to it.... I would very much like a powerful celeb (like Beyoncé) to make a statement of support. One thing I know about her from other unrelated interviews, when something is topical both her and Jay-Z do research.. If she simply tells her fans to do that same research.. ANYTHING to that magnitude could do a lot more than we give credit for. Wade was in the industry for a very long time, all those bridges he burnt.. People KNOW what he's about! THEY are the ones that need to speak.PS am I the onlyone with this new mjjc view? it crunches all my paragraphs together and doesn't look organized? Harder to read.

I think it's to early to say "the estate is not doing anything".
I totally understand you. But we don't know what happens behind the scenes.
But if there will be nothing from them soon i will also loose my very little last hope in them..

Lightbringer;4246677 said:
Dont despair, Howard Weitzman made this amazing rebuttal:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Estate Of Michael Jackson attorney Howard Weitzman speaks about <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LeavingNeverland?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LeavingNeverland</a> <a href="https://t.co/S50rlc1NJZ">pic.twitter.com/S50rlc1NJZ</a></p>&mdash; #MJINNOCENT (@MJStarOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJStarOfficial/status/1102850822491308033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sarcasm surely?

It's a tough call.

Initially, I felt they should have gone guns blazing. But the more I thought about it, the more I understood why they didn't.

Mounting a huge pushback campaign before or during the broadcast would have literally drawn many more to watch the source content (LN) to "see what the fuss is all about." It'd almost have been promotion for HBO. So it was smart being somewhat quiet.

Then there's the odd climate we're in. #MeToo and trial by social media. We literally live in a time when one can say anything and it automatically happened just because they said it. I'm such a supporter of people speaking up about things previous eras may have made difficult, but statistically and empirically not every single claim is truth. Still, even if people are rightly side-eyeing these accusers, destroying them in an obvious way is too old school an approach and runs risk of some people looking at it as re-victimising the "victim". It's just not good for optics.

So , I think the Estate done the following well already:

* Taking a generally quiet approach publicly (limits the convo)

* Limiting exposure to LN for fans with the concert streams (keeps up positivity and focus on why we love him)

* Suing HBO (shows sufficient awareness of the threat LN poses to his legacy and is a chest-out move to show "we will clap back")

* I also feel/assume that they have involvement in carting out Taj on the media rounds. Also, knowing how media-buys work, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in the helping with the bus ads. But that part is just a guess.

Onto what they should do:

1) Some kind of rebuttal doc. I've gone back and forth about this in my mind because it too extends the narrative about something that could well blow over. But leaving things as is is risky. Because we presently don't have the foresight to see where the pendulum of public opinion on MJ will land once LN is a distant memory. It didn't do anything ratings wise, but the discourse surrounding it wasn't good at all. So they need to produce something and land fairly big, global distribution for it (Netflix?).

Furthermore, it needs to be Estate-endorsed (meaning go heavy on the official music, videos, and performance footage, so as to remind people why they love him) and have a clear innocent agenda. I also feel it best if it's framed by a independent entity like a Spike Lee or another critically celebrated director. Who, unlike Dan Reed, understands the necessity of telling a balanced story even when pushing a specific agenda (in this case Michael's innocence).

So Taj's doc ought to emerge as another supporting doc to the main Estate one (more the merrier). Or if they team up to do it together, he should be behind it but not necessarily at the forefront. Because some will just stress the fact he's a Jackson and dilute all the receipts he'll bring with "oh he has an agenda" or "he would say that"

Lastly on the doc front, I actually think they should take their time with it and strategically drop it during a quieter window. Dropping it anytime soon-soon just relates it back to LN which is still to air in many international markets. We don't want the promotional push for the rebuttal doc to be the Cat and Mouse that has the promo for LN. I.e. Dan n co hitting up one platform, with the Jackson's following the next day. It needs to be standalone project and one that is pushed heavily. The have the means go above and beyond with the media push too. Billboards, ads, everything.

2) Use the media in a slow and steady capacity to reshape the perception of Wade and co aka seed stories on the TMZ's etc. Again, going guns blazing now wouldn't be wise and only promotes LN. But doing so when Wade and co aren't on the media trail is best bet.

This was a great post. I've been thinking long and hard about this since the doc was announced and in my mind, your game plan is the best. Think you should send it to Alicia at the Estate. Hopefully, they are already thinking along the same lines.

A rebuttal doc could take years. They should have been trying to get everyone who was around him and worked with him to gather together for a prime time special to say the truth. They're on twitter. From Karen Faye to the train driver from Neverland. Also people from Santa Maria who visited Neverland. The german family that wrote an open letter. The other boys and girls. Miko Brando. Macauley. Mark lester and his family. There are many staff who didnt sell him out. I could go on. They are seriously underestimating the damage that has been done. I'm 35 years a fan and seen it all since 1982. I dont see his turning around and have no faith in the estate. I really feels like this is the end of his legacy.

A rebuttal doc could take years. They should have been trying to get everyone who was around him and worked with him to gather together for a prime time special to say the truth. They're on twitter. From Karen Faye to the train driver from Neverland. Also people from Santa Maria who visited Neverland. The german family that wrote an open letter. The other boys and girls. Miko Brando. Macauley. Mark lester and his family. There are many staff who didnt sell him out. I could go on. They are seriously underestimating the damage that has been done. I'm 35 years a fan and seen it all since 1982. I dont see his turning around and have no faith in the estate. I really feels like this is the end of his legacy.

Well the only hope is a rebuttal documentary and they cannot take years to do it. They simply don't have the time. We need something this year or early next year.

The estate really should have been better prepared. Did they really believe HBO wasn't going to air this? It seems they had no backup plan.

This whole thing is a mess.

Thankful for Taj and the fans for supporting MJ. If it wasn't for that there would be nothing but much more needs to be done of course.

Back