Songs that feel out of place on an album

I always throught of the inclusion of Come Together on HIStory as quite perfect. Because the album as definitely Michael's most personal, dealing with issues after all the BS of 93 onwards, I feel that Come Together is on that album as a way of Mike going

"Oh yeah, by the way, I still own the rights to THESE songs just in case you had forgotten ;) I'm doing just FINE!"

Oh, that's an interesting take on it. I never thought about that. Good one.

I always throught of the inclusion of Come Together on HIStory as quite perfect. Because the album as definitely Michael's most personal, dealing with issues after all the BS of 93 onwards, I feel that Come Together is on that album as a way of Mike going

"Oh yeah, by the way, I still own the rights to THESE songs just in case you had forgotten ;) I'm doing just FINE!"

As for songs that feel out of place on an album, I think 2000 watts was pit in as a novelty idea because Michael's voice is so low. Still a great song by the way.
I totally agree with your theory. I've thought that too. :)

Now that makes perefect sense! :agree:Great thought, thanks for sharing it :D

OTF - Burn This Disco Out maybe, or add Sunset Drive
Thriller - Beat It and replace it with Carousel
Bad - Maybe Leave Me Alone and definitely Just Good Friends replace it with I'm So Blue
Dangerous - None, just add an interlude in between Black or White & Who Is It
HIStory - Come Together replace with Elizabeth, I Love You (Interlude) & add Men in Black (He went back to that track during HIStory, but never continued the work for HIStory)
Invincible - Cry, The Lost Children & Privacy, all replaced with Xscape, Shout, & We Be Ballin' (Which Michael had suggested going back to, but never went through with that suggestion.)

I'll never understand why people say that Just Good Friend's feels out of place on BAD. I think it fits with the album perfectly.

Don't walk away, you are my life and the lost children. Those are in contrast to tracks like heartbreaker and threatened, which are awesome classic MJ tracks with an experimental edge in terms of production.

Don't walk away, you are my life and the lost children. Those are in contrast to tracks like heartbreaker and threatened, which are awesome classic MJ tracks with an experimental edge in terms of production.

Invincible was all over the place

'Cry' replaced with 'We've Had Enough'!

Thriller - Beat It and replace it with Carousel

einrdy.gif

Last edited:
Beat It is a big favourite even with the general public. I have seen many times people who are not fans note that Beat It is their fave MJ song. I can't see Carousel having a similar impact. Also it's one of Thriller's two Nr 1. hits. Again, I cannot see Carousel reaching Nr 1.

This doesn't mean that these are bad songs, but are there songs on some albums which you think feel out of place and doesn't fit the style of the rest of the album?

For me Come Together and You Are Not Alone feels really out of place on HIStory
History(the album) is Michael Jackson's artistic affirmation. So covering a tune and turning it into a Michael Jackson-ish feel kind of song isnt out of place. Take Prince for example. Prince was a true musician (just like Michael was,but Prince is better than him ,at least for me :D),a multi instrumentalist virtuoso; composing,producing and songwriting genius,who impacted the music industry by pioneering a unique sound,The Minneapolis Sound;) (which Janet and several songs on the History album benefited from). Being a creative genius (and in my opinion,the best artist that ever lived,also a genius and exciting, spectacular live performer) and releasing more than 35 full of magic studio albums during his career,Prince always found time to do covers.(in concert ,as well on studio albums).Take ,for example,his cover of "A Case of You"(from the 1983 live debut of his masterpiece hit and Oscar winning album,"Purple Rain ") or his released cover of "Crimson and Clover" ,from his 2009 triple disc album "LotusFlo3wr". He did cover these songs and made them sound like Prince songs ,being the genius that he was . With all the thousands songs that he wrote and released or left ,unfortunately,in the vault,he still found space for covering songs and taking them to the next level,by adding his musical and production touch;D
So why wouldnt Michael,a great artist himself,do the same?Not to mention he also owned The Beatles catalog 😀. So the position of a great cover on Michael's most ambitious musical effort does make sense for me ;) Sorry for the long message,but my heart is FULL of L.O.V.E for PRINCE 💖 !😊 As well as for Mike:D 🤗

For me it are the following 3 songs on the album "Thriller"

"Baby be mine"
"The Girl is mine"
"The lady in my life"

Not that I don't like this songs, because maybe I love them even more than the others ...to me they just don't go along with "Thriller and Beat it" etc
But maybe this is exactly what the album made such a succes huh?
The Lady in my Life is Michael's most soulful vocal performance ever :D Rod Temperton's genius composing along with Quincy Jones's amazing production make that track a masterpiece:D Add the way Michael shined as a singer/ performer on that track and you got maybe the best ballad Michael has ever sung and recorded:D!

Off The Wall - Girlfriend
HIStory - Come Together
The hate for the briliant Come Together cover and its place on HIStory needs to stop imo. Covering songs and making them sound like one of your songs proves artistry. And in my opinion HIStory it's all about artistry:D Kudos to the briliant musicians Michael surrounded himself with for the instrumental and killer production on the cover. These musicians knew how to make a Michael Jackson sound alike production :D (especially Greg Phlliganes and Bill Botrell) And kudos for The Beatles for writting the song :D Not the least, kudos to Michael for an interesting vocal performance and dance performance during the video :D Those amazing vocals in that Michael-ish style makes you wonder if he was born to sing this song. :D This man knew how to sing rocknroll:)

Definitely "Girlfriend" (plus it's such a weak song). Maybe "Come Together" too. There are no others I mind...

oh, and DYKWYCA :black_eye:

(NO COMMENT on "Michael" :lol:)
Girlfriend its actually a beautiful McCartney track. Michael also delivered good vocals on the McCartney composed track,i don't really see the problem with it

2000 Watts - it does not really fit in IMO.

CD 1 in HIStory - all 15 songs... (Disc 1 should have been released seperately - or released like Xscape - 2 versions of HIStory.

Also Come Together seems out of place. - It was already released as a b-side single (was it all the way back in BAD era or was it Dangerous era?)

Baby be Mine on Thriller maybe....

As many has already said - Girlfriend... - But also Burn This Disco Out maybe.
Burn this disco out its an awesome song from Rod Temperton!!It really did fit the disco feel of the rest of the album!Michael is vocally great as always:D

Because Why was originally intended for the album, and ended up being used by 3T. That's why.

OTW- Girlfriend- It's a McCartney/Wings P.O.S that was terrible when Paul did it. MJ made it a little better, but not by much. Doesn't go with the flow of the album.

Thriller- None

Bad- Another Part Of Me- Every time I listen to this song, I feel like it's a dated track (recorded prior to 1987). Not very good flow with the Bad album at all. Feels like he took what he recorded for Captain Eo and slapped it on the album. Streetwalker would have fit on the album better IMO. Frankie Dileo and Quincy got that one wrong.

Dangerous- None- MJ's greatest album ever. Don't mess with something that isn't broken.

HIStory- Come Together- Should have been on Bad.

BOTDF- remixes

Invincible- Lost Children- feels like a song MJ just decided to throw on the album.
Another part of me is the funkiest jam Quincy Jones and his musicians composed and produced for Michael!!Its also a concert wonder,the band from the Bad Tour knew how to perform that energetic song!They made it sound even better than what came from the wonders of Quincy Jones's production in the studio (I shouldnt forget Bruce Swieden,another genius behind the Michael Jackson magic). And Michael's vocals (both live and in studio) really flow with the instrumentation. His lycris (since hes credited as the songwriter) also really fit the vocal arrangement and the instrumental production!Its all about a funky,magical jam!For me ,this song it's the quiteessential "Michael Jackson " song. It really shows off the talents of the big ,talented team that worked for and with Michael,all supervised by Quincy . And not the least,the lycris and vocals show again the message and magic of Michael Jackson himself (as the frontman from the team). I dont understand how it doesn’t fit the Bad album..

History(the album) is Michael Jackson's artistic affirmation. So covering a tune and turning it into a Michael Jackson-ish feel kind of song isnt out of place. Take Prince for example. Prince was a true musician (just like Michael was,but Prince is better than him ,at least for me :D),a multi instrumentalist virtuoso; composing,producing and songwriting genius,who impacted the music industry by pioneering a unique sound,The Minneapolis Sound;) (which Janet and several songs on the History album benefited from). Being a creative genius (and in my opinion,the best artist that ever lived,also a genius and exciting, spectacular live performer) and releasing more than 35 full of magic studio albums during his career,Prince always found time to do covers.(in concert ,as well on studio albums).Take ,for example,his cover of "A Case of You"(from the 1983 live debut of his masterpiece hit and Oscar winning album,"Purple Rain ") or his released cover of "Crimson and Clover" ,from his 2009 triple disc album "LotusFlo3wr". He did cover these songs and made them sound like Prince songs ,being the genius that he was . With all the thousands songs that he wrote and released or left ,unfortunately,in the vault,he still found space for covering songs and taking them to the next level,by adding his musical and production touch;D
So why wouldnt Michael,a great artist himself,do the same?Not to mention he also owned The Beatles catalog 😀. So the position of a great cover on Michael's most ambitious musical effort does make sense for me
;) Sorry for the long message,but my heart is FULL of L.O.V.E for PRINCE 💖 !😊 As well as for Mike:D 🤗
Although Prince covered other artists' songs, yet he did not want other artists to cover his songs, which was a selfish behaviour on his part.

"…You see, covering the music means your version doesn't exist anymore … That doesn't exist in any other art form - there's only one version of 'Law And Order' [drama television series], but there are several versions of 'Kiss' and 'Purple Rain'…" (Prince, Lopez Tonight Interview, 2011)

About 'Come Together', it is believed that the reason for the inclusion of this cover song on the 'HIStory' album was for symbolic reasons.

Michael Jackson wanted (with that inclusion) to denote that he and Sony formed the Sony/ATV Music Publishing joint venture in 1995 (the year also in which that album came out).

His ATV Music Publishing Catalogue included mostly his rights of the Beatles songs.

He even placed 'Come Together' in the middle of the track list, dividing in that way the second disc into two equal parts.

Although Prince covered other artists' songs, yet he did not want other artists to cover his songs, which was a selfish behaviour on his part.

"…You see, covering the music means your version doesn't exist anymore … That doesn't exist in any other art form - there's only one version of 'Law And Order' [drama television series], but there are several versions of 'Kiss' and 'Purple Rain'…" (Prince, Lopez Tonight Interview, 2011)

About 'Come Together', it is believed that the reason for the inclusion of this cover song on the 'HIStory' album was for symbolic reasons.

Michael Jackson wanted (with that inclusion) to denote that he and Sony formed the Sony/ATV Music Publishing joint venture in 1995 (the year also in which that album came out).

His ATV Music Publishing Catalogue included mostly his rights of the Beatles songs.

He even placed 'Come Together' in the middle of the track list, dividing in that way the second disc into two equal parts.
Thanks for the info!It made me love his version of Come Together even more :D Yeah I know,Prince could be very self ish

Michael composed that song himself.
Proof?:3 I know that the lycris are his(since he's credited as the songwriter) ,but since when writting lycris for hooks or writting lycris in general means composing a song?Writting lycris(what Michael did for this song) means writting the track,not composing it. So yeah;)
If I am uneducated on this Im sorry :)

Let me quote Michael here:

“They don’t wanna give me credit for anything.”
Man,Mike was great,but so quick to complain. Maybe he should pick up an instrument and then talk 😉
At times,he even received loads of undue credit (the whole Invincible album.
Mike barely wrote 1 or 2 songs out of 16...and yet he still has credit on nearly all the songs,even with all the writers demos on YT its obvious that Michael never wrote on that album ,except Speechless and The Lost Children,yet he still has credit. And he also has credit on "playing instruments " on Invincible along with Rodney Jerkins...Michael couldnt play more than a chord on guitar ,only a little of piano at a very ,very nooby level....yet he "played instruments " on Invincible. )
So maybe Michael should have flexed more his musical skills than his complaining skills ;) (Just sarcasm)

Proof?:3 I know that the lycris are his(since he's credited as the songwriter) ,but since when writting lycris for hooks or writting lycris in general means composing a song?Writting lycris(what Michael did for this song) means writting the track,not composing it. So yeah;)
If I am uneducated on this Im sorry :)
In the album booklet it literally says ''Written and composed by Michael Jackson''

Back