Songs you were amazed by when first hearing them

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
I have to say mine were:
Smooth Criminal
Man In The Mirror
Black Or White
Dangerous
We've Had Enough (The way Michael delivers the message of the song is amazing)
Blue Gangsta (the leaked version)
Don't Walk Away
Blood On The Dance Floor
Money

Those are the songs I remember being amazed at when first hearing them, I was very little so I don't remember all of them, but of course there are many more which are also incredible. I also remember watching the Thriller short film for the first time, but I was just scared hahaha

Re: Songs you were amazed when first hearing them

For me it includes:
Streetwalker
This Place Hotel
Say Say Say
Smooth Criminal
Billie Jean
Black or White
Bad
Forever Came Today
Who's Lovin' You
I'll Be There
Beat It
Jam
Leave Me Alone
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Show You The Way To Go
Destiny
Lady in My Life
Baby Be Mine
Stranger In Moscow
Thriller
I Can't Help It
Speechless
You Rock My World
(I Like) The Way You Love Me
- and many more!

I think Thriller (short film) scared me as well when I first saw it as a kid

Last edited:

I Want You Back
Dancing Machine
Body Language
Enjoy Yourself
Keep On Dancing
You Can't Win (original version)
Music Takin' Over
Things I Do for You
Sunset Driver
Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough
Rock With You
Workin' Day and Night
Off The Wall
Burn The Disco Out
Can You Feel It
Lovely One
Heartbreak Hotel
Billie Jean
P.Y.T.
Baby Be Mine
Another Part Of Me (Live version)
State Of Shock
Streetwalker
In The Back
Loving You (demo)

The songs in bold struck me as instant as the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

Slave To The Rhythm leaked demo(edit: Tricky Stewart remix) surprised me :wild:

Last edited:

^It's not a demo though. Just a Tricky Stewart remix from 2010.

So many of Michael's songs amazed me when I first heard them. I quite frankly don't even know where to start.

Shout still amazes me. This is a cool video...

not in any order.....

pretty any song played on 'Moonwalker' which was my introduction when I was 3 and watched that things probably literally hundreds of times.

We've Had Enough (For whatever reason I was under the impassion he wrote it during the trial so that made my view extra special than maybe it would otherwise.. It's a good song though still)

Slave to The Rhythm
Streetwalker
One Day In Your Life
This Place Hotel
You Can't Win (original)

Ok I can keep going on... So basically when I think I hear all o MJ's hit good songs and discover more I get amazed cuz it's new and STILL great.

I first had Moonwalker, than got 'MJ: The legend Continues', than moved to Libya and saw Jam video once, than bought a bootleg copy of MJ videos that had Jam, Remember The Time, and some other older videos of MJ), got the full tape of BAD while there... Than came back to the states and bought the Dangerous short films... Saw music videos from History album on TV, (got my hair cut like They Don't Care About Us video lol), than Blood On The Dance Floor was the first MJ CD I bought with my own money.. after that slowly bought them all.. Once I started to feel I heard 'everything' I started to pay more attention to the stuff PRE Off The Wall and enjoyed discovering that.

Of course I heard songs of J5/Jacksons prior to that, but that is when I actually bought the albums and heard the less famous (often non single release) songs..

OK that was pretty off topic, but kind of stuck with it yeah? lol

Who Is It

Pretty much all of the Bad album
Unbreakable
Tabloid Junkie
Burn This Disco Out
Get On The Floor
Speechless
Whatever Happens
P.Y.T.
Blue Gangsta
Slave to the Rhythm (the version that leaked years ago before Xscape came out)

Billie Jean, Thriller and Beat It. Those songs are so unique. All three amaze me every time I listen to them. They're genius. Like L.A. Reid said about Billie Jean: 'It has more hooks in it than anything I've ever heard. Everything in that song was catchy, and every instrument was playing a different hook. You could separate it into 12 different musical pieces and I think you'd have 12 different hits.'

I'd also add Smooth Criminal in there.

All of the necessary songs have already been mentioned.. However, when I first heard "All In Your Name" I loved it. Barry Gibbs did a really good job, but the thing that made it explode was Michael. Such beautiful vocals. That hook kinda connects me to a very spiritual place - like Earth Song and Will You Be There. I think it deserves a lot of praise.

For me it is:

Got The Hots
Abortion Papers
She Drives Me Wild
Earth Song
Stranger In Moscow
Morphine
Give In To Me
Billie Jean
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Little Susie
Someone Put Your Hand Out
In The Closet
Al Capone
Remember The Time
Who Is It

Even after 22 years of first hearing Who Is It on the Oprah Interview. I am still amazed at times of just how awesome this song is. It is no wonder I consider it the most greatest song ever made. And why I still have this obsession with that song. There are other songs. But this is all that I can think of right now.

I am going to have to just to list the songs from OTW onwards:

Working Day & Night
She's Out of My Life
Beat It
Wanna Be
TWWF
Liberian Girl
MITM
most songs on Dangerous, esp Who Is It (LOL)
Earth Song
Childhood
TDCAU
Smile
Speechless
Is It Scary?
Ghosts
Scared of the Moon

(may need to add more later).

Two come to my mind: TDCAU being one. It's the first time I became aware Michael sang songs about political issues. The other is Morphine because it's so different from most songs he sings.

Hollywood Tonight, Price of Fame, Fly Away, We Are the World (Demo) & We've Had Enough to keep it short.

Speechless was one of the first songs I ever heard from Michael outside of his usual classics, and I distinctly remember replaying the opening acapella portion at least five times in a row just to listen to his vocal. It still transfixes me to this day. Absolutely stunning.

The album cut of Hollywood Tonight also caught me off guard. What a groove!

Slave To The Rhythm leaked demo(edit: Tricky Stewart remix) surprised me :wild:

Nice choice. This is one that really stood out for me - both in 2010 and last year.

All of the necessary songs have already been mentioned.. However, when I first heard "All In Your Name" I loved it. Barry Gibbs did a really good job, but the thing that made it explode was Michael. Such beautiful vocals. That hook kinda connects me to a very spiritual place - like Earth Song and Will You Be There. I think it deserves a lot of praise.

I also love it. Hearing it for the first time was quite an experience. His voice is paradoxically delicate and strong at the same time and the way in which he spells out the words ever so magically.........just glorious.

Speechless was one of the first songs I ever heard from Michael outside of his usual classics, and I distinctly remember replaying the opening acapella portion at least five times in a row just to listen to his vocal. It still transfixes me to this day. Absolutely stunning.

I remember crying as it came on my first ever listen of the Invincible album one dark night way back in early November 2001......it was that powerful. It remains to this day my favorite song of all time. It was pretty amazing to hear that precious, magical little bit in the This is it movie, especially on the day of the premiere :)

Last edited:

All songs are amazing. But what caused most amasement was "this is it" song especially beacause it was issued posthumous.

Recently it was the P.Y.T. Demo. That was some forward production for the early 80s.

The album cut is classic of course, but that demo along with The Girl Is Mine version sans Sir Paul leave me chuffed every spin.

Ghosts/Is it Scary, In the Closet, Who is it, Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, Cry, Hollywood tonight, Most of xscape but particularly Loving You and Love never felt good. Loving You in particular made my jaw drop to the point I just played it to inertia and still do. That is an outstanding song and why he did not put it on Bad is beyond me.

With Bad25 I got yesterday, Price of Fame, Abortion Papers and Al Capone are really jaw dropping stuff too, I still need to pick my jaw up off the floor.

All songs are amazing. But what caused most amasement was "this is it" song especially beacause it was issued posthumous.

You're so very right Magicgirl. How on earth could I forget about that one? Hearing the preview to This is it was most exceptional an occasion. I remember it vividly :D

Blood on the Dance Floor

The most perfect pop song of all time.

Impossible for me to answer your question , there are so many of them but I was crying all day when I heard this one the first time, It have spacial place on my :heart:

Price Of Fame :dropdead: I'll never forget listening to that French radio broadcast. I was speechless.

Of course nearly everything he ever released had me in amazement.

I remember when the video debuted on Top Of The Tops and it was the first time I heard the song as well. It was so cool to hear a new song and see the accompanying video at the same time. Back then, pre-internet, I didn't even know he had a new record coming out which made it all the more exciting.

Great times.

Same. I remember my friends telling me they heard the new Michael Jackson song about Susie, so naturally I assumed it was Little Susie. My complete shock and excitement was something I'd never experienced.

This kind of added to the reason I was blown away as I heard the song for the first time seeing the video. Shame that things like that aren't bound to happen ever again with the internet.

Back