Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

CaOEaqlXEAEMvok.jpg

CaOKcYAWwAQZOyd.jpg

Part singalong, part concert rolled into a HIStory class, a fitting tribute the King! #MJO… https://www.instagram.com/p/BBSjDhZssIt/

Hey guys,

I tried to see if I can watch Showtime in the UK but only avail in the US, above is a screenshot of the air dates and times.
Does anyone know where people in the UK can watch this on the 5th Feb please?

p.s if someone has already answered this question, apologies I cant find any reply regarding this....

Many thanks in advance

[/QUOTE]My theory - based on nothing but the timing - is that they're releasing this as a way to fulfil one of their agreed projects with Sony (given how a number of projects have to be fulfilled by the end of the contract next year). What I'm hoping is that they're focusing more of their finances and resources on some sort of anniversary release for Dangerous later this year. That's just my theory on all of this really.[/QUOTE]

I hope & pray your theory is right. I'm hoping now that they were just trying to get this out the way to say they did something for it (which they could've done way more,unless they putting up a big budget production for the next project) but i hope this is what it is & i hope they don't do another stupid move. Chalk???? really?

Hey guys,

I tried to see if I can watch Showtime in the UK but only avail in the US, above is a screenshot of the air dates and times.

p.s if someone has already answered this question, apologies I cant find any reply regarding this....

Many thanks in advance

Anyone :unsure:

Last edited:
From the Boombox.com http://theboombox.com/spike-lees-michael-jackson-off-the-wall-doc-is-emotional-and-entertaining/

Sp
By Victoria Johnson February 2, 2016 3:37 PM

<figure id="attachment_205515" class="alignnone" style="border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px auto; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">
mjjfmtotw.jpg
<figcaption style="border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; width: 630px;">SHOWTIME</figcaption></figure>Brooklyn&#8217;s BAM Rose Theater was filled seat-to-seat as everyone left &#8220;the nine-to-five up on the shelf&#8221; with one person in mind &#8212; Michael Jackson. The occasion was a free screening of Spike Lee&#8216;s latest joint: Michael Jackson&#8217;s Journey From Motown to Off the Wall. Oftentimes, movie audiences chastise those who are talking throughout the film, but it was clear that reactions would not only be welcomed, but encouraged &#8212; especially with the Brooklyn director himself in attendance.
The documentary highlights Jackson&#8217;s breakthrough album, 1979s Off the Wall. It was the album that cemented Jackson as an adult solo star outside of The Jacksons; and it proved to be a musically significant album that announces the transition from 70s disco into 80s MTV-driven dance pop.
Before Lee took his rightful place in the center seat of the theater for the screening, he shared some words with the crowd. After asking that everyone turn off their phones, (not just as a common courtesy, but out of respect for Michael), he then played the role of an MC as he gave a shoutout to every area in New York City.
&#8220;Anyone from Williamsburg?&#8221; he asked as one black woman screamed. &#8220;You&#8217;re not from Williamsburg,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I used to&#8230;&#8221; she replied as he interjected: &#8220;Yeah! You used to &#8212; gentrification!&#8221;
Lee also mentioned that while the film premiered worldwide at Sundance last week it &#8220;wasn&#8217;t Brooklyn, New York,&#8221; and shared that, while he loves all of Michael Jackson&#8217;s albums, Off the Wall is his favorite.
Clearly the love for Michael is strong; Lee, the famed New York Knicks fan, even gave a shoutout to another notable star in attendance: NBA Golden State Warrior, Klay Thompson, who Lee also sat next to.
The documentary itself opened to cheers as Michael Jackson&#8217;s iconic glittery socks and famous footwork filled the screen. And as MJ&#8217;s hits played, the crowd was immediately moved to dance, shout and shake their bodies down to the ground. As the distinct opening notes of the classic &#8220;Don&#8217;t Stop Til You Get Enough&#8221; began playing, with Michael uttering his famously hushed spoken &#8220;The force&#8211;it has a lot of power&#8221; intro, the entire crowd shouted that song&#8217;s exuberant &#8220;Wooo!&#8221; in unison.
Several interviews with celebs Pharrell and The Weeknd showed Michael Jackson&#8217;s influence musically, but it those outside of music that showed the scope of the King of Pop&#8217;s reach. Kobe Bryant&#8217;s focus and work ethic and Misty Copeland&#8217;s spins and precision were cited as being born of watching Michael Jackson.
The 93-minute documentary also took the time to chronicle MJ&#8217;s life including him landing the role of the Scarecrow in the 1978 film The Wiz! and meeting Quincy Jones. It also broke down each song on Off the Wall &#8212; although less popular songs like &#8220;Girlfriend&#8221; and &#8220;It&#8217;s the Falling in Love&#8221; notably got shortened time in the film.
But Lee makes up for it in one of the greatest moments of the documentary. He masterfully intercuts Eddie Murphy&#8217;s famous Delirious bit mocking MJ&#8217;s &#8220;She&#8217;s Out of My Life&#8221; with the King of Pop&#8217;s actual performance in a way that was alternately hilarious and touching. The audience also got to see rare footage and photos including baby Michael in his mother&#8217;s arms and him tap-dancing alongside the famed Nicholas Brothers.
It&#8217;s electric, empowering and personal. As one woman in the crowd yelled, &#8220;You killed it, Spike!&#8221;
Michael Jackson&#8217;s Journey From Motown to Off the Wall premieres on Showtime on Friday (Feb. 5). It will also be available for purchase along with the famed album on Feb. 26. In the meantime we&#8217;ll be re-listening to Off the Wall (you can join us by listening here.)
Check out the trailer below.

<iframe width="630" height="354" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F54kIhEQ7p0?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" style="border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>Subscribe to TheBoombox on
<iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I1_1454464476743" name="I1_1454464476743" src="https://www.youtube.com/subscribe_embed?usegapi=1&channel=theboomboxchannel1&layout=default&count=hidden&origin=http%3A%2F%2Ftheboombox.com&gsrc=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.o3LaVLwYQGs.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAGLTcCMWJIx8ERQ_SPFUauuoMJ8Ptbo9hg#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh%2Conytevent%2Conload&id=I1_1454464476743&parent=http%3A%2F%2Ftheboombox.com&pfname=&rpctoken=28914454" data-gapiattached="true" style="border-width: 0px; border-style: none; font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; position: static; top: 0px; width: 87px; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 24px;"></iframe>

Read More: Spike Lee's Michael Jackson 'Off the Wall' Doc is Emotional and Entertaining | http://theboombox.com/spike-lees-mi...emotional-and-entertaining/?trackback=tsmclip

With Rihanna probably topping the Billboard chart with just around 125,000 next week and with the love that Off The Wall has been getting from the general public, do you think it can top the chart? With no new big releases even less than 100,000 copies can be enough for #1 album. With Spike Lee's documentary and a little more promotion and with fans support I think it can. I know Bad 25 was a flop, but Bad was never general public's favourite and especially critics' favourite. Now we have general public & critics. I think it would be nice because Off The Wall was not #1 album. It peaked at #3.

Bad 25 sold around 47,000 copies in the first week in the US.

With Rihanna probably topping the Billboard chart with just around 125,000 next week and with the love that Off The Wall has been getting from the general public, do you think it can top the chart? With no new big releases even less than 100,000 copies can be enough for #1 album. With Spike Lee's documentary and a little more promotion and with fans support I think it can. I know Bad 25 was a flop, but Bad was never general public's favourite and especially critics' favourite. Now we have general public & critics. I think it would be nice because Off The Wall was not #1 album. It peaked at #3.

No. I don't know why you say Bad was never general public's favourite given I almost always see the general public praise that album (along with Thriller and OTW), never mind the crazy sales it's had or the records it produced that weren't topped for 25 years (and even then, it took some cheating to beat that record. I'm looking at you Katy Perry).

Focusing on the release itself, I think a huge reason is that there's not really enough new content in this release to spur 100,000 people to go buy it again. Bad 25 didn't do that great, but many MJ fans got it because there was a nice amount of new content on there. I've seen countless posts here that say they're not getting the package simply because they already have the album and the price they're demanding is too much for a documentary, and on top of that we're probably the key demographic for this release. I'm definitely not buying it and it seems many people on here are in the same situation. They don't see this documentary as enough of a reason to go out and buy something they already have (especially because the inclusion of the album just increases the price).

Never mind there's almost no marketing for this. Ok yes some film critics are reviewing the film now but it still doesn't go on sale for another 3-4 weeks and by then, some of the momentum may be lost and critics will be focusing on other things. I said it earlier, if I wasn't on this website, I'd have no clue this was even a thing. They've only posted about it like once or twice on FB (though I assume they'll post more closer to the time).

On top of that, on 26th February, there's a few other albums coming out. Macklemore's new album comes out that day, so does The 1975 (their 2013 debut album debuted at UK#1 and they have a decent fanbase), Kanye West also releases his new album two weeks before and will no doubt still be going well on the charts.

So no, it won't hit #1. I've seen too many fans say they're not getting it, there's not much marketing for it and many bigger/more current artists are releasing albums around that time. I'd love to be wrong though.

Hey guys,

Many thanks in advance

So far no information where people outside of US can watch this but keep on eye on this thread as somebody will post information at some stage.

No. To expect this to sell 100,000 is not realistic at all. Outside of the fan world a re-release of an old album is not a big event. Also, the documentary will be shown on a pay-TV with a limited audience. The most it will do that maybe (not sure, but maybe) it can get back OTW to the Billboard 200 for a while. Well, if more people get to see the doc, that is.

I feel like you'd be happy if the estate packaged dust that touched furniture in his house and presented it as a special bonus with a barebones re-release of the "Cry" maxi single.
Your Stan is showing.

To each their own...

While I admit the chalk idea is, well, unique... it doesn't feel like anything more than a gimmick.

I feel like you'd be happy if the estate packaged dust that touched furniture in his house and presented it as a special bonus with a barebones re-release of the "Cry" maxi single.
Your Stan is showing.

To each their own...

hey-girl-theres-no-such-thing-as-too-much-chalk-thumb.jpg

images

It comes with chalk (the white thing on top of the album), and the gatefold of the actual album will let you be able to 'draw' on it with the chalk. Because you can 'personalise' it, it's essentially customising your package.

Yayyyyy i can write "JM LOVES MJ 4 EVA! :p

If they would release the documentary on Blu-Ray separately with a price of 20 euros at most then I would definitely buy it.

I will buy it. I have only one copy of of OTW, so I don't mind having another one and give it a bit of support. And I want to have this docu.

Yayyyyy i can write "JM LOVES MJ 4 EVA! :p

(y) that's the spirit!!
I have a lot of questions now after finding out that you can write in it. what's the gatefold made of (material)? what's the chalk like? is it actual chalk? I mean, since you can write with it, if the gatefold is cardoard? can you write on cardboard with chalk? :unsure: can you erase it what you write? wow, guess I'll find out when I get it :woohoo:

BTW, this whole thing put me in such an OTW fever. In the past days I have been rocking the album several times a day and it's so amazing how great and fresh it still sounds! It's a true classic that will never get old! Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - problem is only that I will never have enough of it .:wub:

I also created an OTW era playlist on Spotify with the OTW album, Destiny, Triumph and the Live Jacksons album. In fact to bring in some live concert atmosphere I replaced some OTW tracks with the live version from the Jacksons Live album (WDAN, Off the Wal and She's Out of My Life), same for Destiny and Triumph (I used the live version of Shake Your Body, Things I Do For You, Lovely One, Heartbreak Hotel from the Jacksons Live album) and it's really amazing.

Last edited:
I already pre-ordered blu-ray version from amazon.uk and DVD version from amazon.de.

Gosh, not this again. I thought we were over it and finally managed to get back on topic, which is Off the Wall!

Gosh, not this again. I thought we were over it and finally managed to get back on topic, which is Off the Wall!

Sorry but i havnt been in this thread for days.so this is my first right of reply to such comments.yes please lets get back ontopic for now im sure we have all seen agendas proven. So i wont be wasting such time with then

Last edited:
Yeah no probs respect. Lets carry on. No need to give them attention now

Back