Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

It is what it is guys. I already own the album so they won't get money from me. I will see the documentary online. I hope it sells well but I don't expect it to. It would be for the new audience cuz ever hard core fan owns it. I don't think this is it for the year guys, I think we will get something else later in the year. Things are not the same anymore that's for sure.

Themidwestcowboy;4126889 said:
SOOML, DSTYGE & WDAN are the only demos officially released. Can't help it leaked last year but not in it's original form. But that's not the point i wanna make. The point is if the estate would have come out and said "we don't want to release material because most of it is on the internet anyways" then I would not be so harsh, even though there is much stuff michael recorded in hayvenhurst just watch the 93 deposition, but they act like there is no material from this era other than that that ended up on the CD which is completely untrue.
Besides there can be so much more stuff than just demos! Extended versions are also great! Michael recorded songs over 6 minutes!

"Without a wealth of material in the archives, the Estate and Sony decided to take a different approach with this release – strip it down and keep it simple and allow everyone to celebrate the album that started it all "

Basically they say that they don't have enough stuff so they decided to keep it simple, whereas Spike's documentary promises wealth of footage:)

"Spike Lee assembles a wealth of archival footage, including material from Michael's personal archive, interviews with contemporary talents and family members, and Michael's own words and image to create this insightful chronicle from the star's early rise to fame through the release of this seminal album."

they could have easily slapped on the already released demos of DSTYGE, WDAN, and She's Out of My Life to the CD and call it a day smh

the studio demos, I'm pretty sure they have to go through Quincy for approval and since he's in litigation with them, it's not gonna happen

This better be cheap. If the price reflects the inclusion of the album (which I already own several times over) then I doubt I'll purchase it.

I am excited for the documentary release. Not to bothered about the CD but I might get it. As others said more will come this year.

Look like they are pushing Bad 25 a little here as well. I would think so as they included it in the newsletter. Might rise in sails, if only a little, again.

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

Excited? For what? The E$tate has nothing done... Spike Lee has produced the thing by his own. I will never buy one more thing with MJs Name. The E$tate is such a ***** NOTHING really NOTHING good stuffs they had ever released. Now no Demos no Outtakes, u must pay Brad Sundberg $$$$ on Seminars to hear the Demos auf I Cant Help it etc.... THANK YOU ESTATE. MJ is history for me! Thanks Estate!

LOL. So MJ is history for you because his Estate doesn't release outtakes and demos? Talk about overreaction.

Having said that, I am disappointed as well. Like others said it's just not true that no extra material that they could include. If there are no demos of unreleased songs then release different takes of released songs. We know a gorgeous I Can't Help It demo exists. We know a Get on the Floor demo with an extra verse exists. Which is even included in this amateur remix:

So why not include such material then?

Last edited:
Well the Estate is right about some being disappointed about no extra materials in the "Off The Wall" 2016 re-release album to which I can say I'm disappointed to hear, but the documentary itself could be worthwhile.

Xscape Part II....

I just so want to have that GOTF demo in its original form! I don't understand it. If they won't release such things now then when?

Themidwestcowboy;4126886 said:
No they did not say that in that fashion. This is what they said

"We are sure some will be disappointed that there is not extra material, but as everyone knows, this album was early in Michael’s career. He did not write or record the number of songs for this album as he did for later releases nor did he do any filming using his own camera crews of the making of his short films or other events.

Why are they lying like this? They're trying to chalk it up due to the fact that it was his first album and he did not record many songs. Maybe he did not record as many songs as he did for Invincible but there's still enough songs to fill up a disc. Just as you stated, his demos from hayvenhurst, Going to rio, LITTLE SUSIE DEMO! Can't help it demo, SOOML demo, DSTYGE & WDAN demos. Early versions of songs, extended cuts. That's a really lame excuse by the estate. Another missed opportunity by the Estate.

Yeah, re-read my post. There is no evidence that they are lying.

the Estate doesn't own that material but then just say 'it's not in our possession' and not 'it doesn't exist' cause we all know it does.

True. I agree. They should've said it like that. But they maybe don't know that. Remember they ain't hardcore fans like us. They didn't even know to recognize MJ's voice from Cascio singer. Branca started to work with MJ after the Thriller album so it is possible that he doesn't know about all the Hayvenhurst recordings because they are not in MJ's Sony vault.

Last edited:
True. I agree. They should've said it like that. But they maybe don't know that. Remember they ain't hardcore fans like us. They didn't even know to recognize MJ's voice from Cascio singer. Branca started to work with MJ after the Thriller album so it is possible that he doesn't know about all the Hayvenhurst recordings because they are not in MJ's Sony vault.
Branca started between OTW and Thriller.
And they know Destiny and Triumph tours exist. I'm disappointed they didn't try to get the rights to those and remaster them as part of the package.

Let's say that's true. How is that an excuse? These guys are not doing charity work here, they are paid millions to run Michael's Estate. An important part of that is cataloguing what's in the archives and investigating what else could be out there. Not just because it can be released for profit, but also because the longer you wait, the more likely it is that material gets lost or damaged.

They could either do this themselves or pay someone to do it for them. Heck, just asking Michael's collaborators or well-informed fans like Chris Cadman and ****** ******* would already go a long way.

They just do not seem to care.

I haven't posted in months, perhaps even years but I've been waiting on this documentary. Finally we have a release date. Being in the UK, I hope the BBC show it, they did show BAD25 so that's a good start. I'm not bothered about buying another copy of the album but I would buy a download of the documentary if it was offered.

I guess an early TV release may mean no worldwide theatrical release for the Documentary...? :( (Just Sundance??)
It was good to see Bad 25 (and Life of an Icon) at the cinema, for those who could.

I'm really hoping there will be a vinyl reissue of Off The Wall to go along with this release. I would really like this album on vinyl!

Let's say that's true. How is that an excuse? These guys are not doing charity work here, they are paid millions to run Michael's Estate. An important part of that is cataloguing what's in the archives and investigating what else could be out there. Not just because it can be released for profit, but also because the longer you wait, the more likely it is that material gets lost or damaged.

They could either do this themselves or pay someone to do it for them. Heck, just asking Michael's collaborators or well-informed fans like Chris Cadman and ****** ******* would already go a long way.

They just do not seem to care.

I agree with what you said but I think they know where that material is and who has it. And they won't sell it, give it to them or to anyone else. They don't want money. They want the Estate.

This nor Bad25 could be made without the support of the Estate and Sony. The documentaries rely heavily on Michael's likeness and music. Lee has publicly said he was allowed access to footage by the Estate. No surprise here.

Hopefully extras will be allowed on the OTW DVD and it will be sold appropriately to the public.
Smh we can't even get bad 25 on dvd/blu-ray right now & on that tip we where still lied to about "extra footage". & why would u say anything about extras? We by far know what this doc has offer. As of this moment the whole documentary is exclusive right now

The Best of Internet hat retweetet
Indiewire ‏@indiewire 1 Std.Vor 1 Stunde
.@SpikeLee Michael Jackson doc to World Premiere on @Showtime http://bit.ly/1OdlpMM

CBS Los Angeles ‏@CBSLA 4 Std.Vor 4 Stunden
Michael Jackson's 1979 album "Off The Wall" to be reissued with new Spike Lee documentary: http://cbsloc.al/1VMrZyH

Revista NOIZE ‏@revistanoize 1 Std.Vor 1 Stunde Brasilien
.@SpikeLee faz novo doc sobre #MichaelJackson: http://bit.ly/MichaelDoc

SHO Docs & Specials ‏@SHO_Docs 3 Std.Vor 3 Stunden
.@Showtime to air WORLD PREMIERE of @MichaelJackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall from @SpikeLee 2/5!
Michael Jackson und Spike Lee

The Weeknd Bible ‏@TheWeekndBible 53 Min.Vor 53 Minuten
The Weeknd will be getting interviewed for Michael Jackson's "Off The Wall" Documentary coming February 26th.

Vulture ‏@vulture 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden
Michael Jackson’s #OfftheWall reissue is coming with a new Spike Lee doc to air on Showtime: http://vult.re/1Z8llDf

The Best of Internet retweetet
Entertainment Weekly ‏@EW 1 Std.Vor 1 Stunde
Spike Lee's Michael Jackson documentary to air on Showtime: http://bit.ly/1S6eTNG

billboard ‏@billboard 1 Std.Vor 1 Stunde

Michael Jackson "Off the Wall" documentary headed to Sundance and Showtime http://blbrd.cm/mTjqQZ

Michael Jackson ♕ ‏@MJJLegion 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden
The Spike Lee documentary "Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown To Off The Wall" to air on SHOWTIME/Feb 5th/9PM ET!

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 1 Std.Vor 1 Stunde
THR FACEBOOK: Get ready for the re-release of the 36-year-old album by Michael Jackson https://www.facebook.com/HollywoodReporter/posts/10153194592187750 …

Rolling Stone ‏@RollingStone 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden

Michael Jackson's 'Off the Wall' reissue will include a Spike Lee doc on the album http://rol.st/1JwHBET

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden
Jackson’s ‘Off the Wall’ to be rereleased with Spike Lee doc http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ereleased-spike-lee-doc/#.Vo6V1ZeszMk.twitter … via @washtimes

This is a big asss let down! No additional material?? Wtf! Why does his estate lie to us on every project. Why must they torture us with bs! No outtakes,demos,hell the way they're saying it as if we won't see any footage at all "he didn't film his early stuff" i call BS! I've seen pleanty of pre thriller footage. It might have not been the same as he did in later years but shamone! I was more excited when spike dropped the ball & now hearing it from the estate is a big let down. Really....no uncut music? Footage...i understand a bit but music? Sunset driver was NOT the only cut on otw im positive! Not to mention i have the original pressing of otw,special edition,a 2015 version rereleased & the digital releases. This is the 1st time I'm not excited about official release. "Strip it down & make it simple"? L.A.Z.Y! I was more excited from the great leaks thread! & be might not have wrote as many songs but I'm positive he recorded many songs. Not only no new footage but the said "behind the scenes of his short films or OTHER EVENTS? wtf! Its a video of mj recording himself on private home movies of the Jacksons in the south (sugar babe,white lighting...etc) & earlier than that,i think around 78 its very old footage of the Jacksons in black & white & mj is recording himself & fam. You too have disney '81. I could do my on otw doc the way they just did us. Then throw this ("we heard you"the estate) ok...u heard us,but you obviously weren't listening & with that being said if they are listening then we 4sure better have a dangerous 25. I never once read anything about us fans saying anything about being ecstatic of a new generation of fans need to be introduced...WE CLEARLY SAID WE DID NOT WANT CHRIS BROWN, KANYE,MARIAH,CEE LO...ETC Again. heard us,not listened! What really grinds my gears is they also said "without a wealth of material in the archive" smh i can't wait til that contract is up & i pray it doesn't get renewed. I can now officially say i hate the ppl behind the estate. Bad 25 was the best they had ever given us as a package. Otw isn't even considered to be "packaged" just dvd/cd. What's the point of releasing the cd? New pictures...wow. as if we don't have threads of pics of mj & fam. I'm so upset & ashamed. They must think we are stupid to not know what Michael had then. I'm done. My feelings are hurt! Fck john & john for doing this to us!

kokonuts5757;4126871 said:
To me the Estate says lots of bullshit... A little concert of the OTW era that s too much asking? Ho no wait... They don't have any materials. Spike Lee have access to concerts footage and they shows us only little clip, just like the Bad25th documentary and APOM vidéo...
They couldn't even give us a damnnn triumph show. I'm sick right now!

Yeah, re-read my post. There is no evidence that they are lying.

Dude they refused to acknowledge any existence of any early takes or unreleased demos while I can't help it demo was on soundcloud lol

Did you forget about don't stop till you get enough and working day and night demos from.the 2001 re release?

Oh what the hell am I saying those things never existed I just dreamt them like most MJ fans.

Themidwestcowboy;4126886 said:
No they did not say that in that fashion. This is what they said

"We are sure some will be disappointed that there is not extra material, but as everyone knows, this album was early in Michael’s career. He did not write or record the number of songs for this album as he did for later releases nor did he do any filming using his own camera crews of the making of his short films or other events.

Why are they lying like this? They're trying to chalk it up due to the fact that it was his first album and he did not record many songs. Maybe he did not record as many songs as he did for Invincible but there's still enough songs to fill up a disc. Just as you stated, his demos from hayvenhurst, Going to rio, LITTLE SUSIE DEMO! Can't help it demo, SOOML demo, DSTYGE & WDAN demos. Early versions of songs, extended cuts.
Why even do the damnn otw album if it was gonna be this way. What is the point? I can bet money this is Gonna Be more motown than otw!

Partial list of interviews: Lee Daniels; The Weeknd; Pharrell Williams; Misty Copeland, Kobe Bryant; Mark Ronson; John Legend; Questlove; Katherine Jackson; Joe Jackson, Marlon Jackson, Jackie Jackie L.A. Reid and more.
THEY CLAIM THEY "HEARD" US.....SO YTF ARE THESE PPL WHO WEREN'T EVEN INVOLVED ON THIS DOC. HELL WE ALREADY "DONT HAVE" MUCH FOOTAGE OF MJ OTW ERA & YET TO USE THE SAME METHOD THAT WE SPECIFICALLY ASKED NOT 4. IF ANYTHING ON BAD25 DOC WAS THAT THOSE NEW PPL ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS "who was annie" etc... THAT WAS THE ONLY THING PPL COMPLAINES ABOUT. JUSTIN BEIBER..ETC, NOT EVEN BRUNO MARS BUT THE WEEKND?? LEE DANIELS?? KOBE!??? WTF...FOR OTW!?? SMH

Bubs;4126895 said:
"Without a wealth of material in the archives, the Estate and Sony decided to take a different approach with this release – strip it down and keep it simple and allow everyone to celebrate the album that started it all "

Basically they say that they don't have enough stuff so they decided to keep it simple, whereas Spike's documentary promises wealth of footage:)

"Spike Lee assembles a wealth of archival footage, including material from Michael's personal archive, interviews with contemporary talents and family members, and Michael's own words and image to create this insightful chronicle from the star's early rise to fame through the release of this seminal album."

Wait...now that you say that, wasn't that the number 1 reason it was held bk for so long to get extra material? Wtf wealth of footage....is it alot to spike & nothing to the estate?

Back