Status hearings discussion thread / all threads merged

• Thread starter elusive moonwalker
  • Start date
Re: Status hearings discussion thread / next hearing Feb 24th

Maybe the trial should be pushed back. I don't want any surprises or mistakes made. I don't trust Murray and his team. I hope Michael's autopsy pictures never get leaked. I would never want to see them.

btw let's stay calm as the following is unverified and comes from a highly emotional / involved / biased fan source.

Defense wants photos of autopsy WITHOUT watermarks. pros concerned it may LEAK!
this scares me .I hope that never happens....fans will go insane...the media would have a field day with it...amongst others..:(

Michael Jackson case: Prosecutor says defense isn't sharing information, asks for delay of doctor's trial

A prosecutor asked Thursday that the trial of Michael Jackson’s doctor be delayed because of what she said was the failure of the defense to share information about its planned case, including the findings of its star forensic witness.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor left the scheduled March 24 start of Dr. Conrad Murray’s trial in place, but said he shared the prosecution’s frustration and reminded defense attorneys that they could be fined or barred from calling witnesses if they did not comply with legal obligations to turn over the materials.

“Dr. Murray is entitled to have a speedy trial, but it’s not trial by lack of information,” Pastor said.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Deborah Brazil complained that with only a month before trial, Murray’s lawyers have not handed over a report or notes about the expected testimony of Dr. Paul White.

The defense acknowledged in court that White, a Dallas anesthesiologist with an expertise in propofol -- the drug that killed Jackson -- is its most important witness. But defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan insisted the expert had not prepared a report and had communicated his findings verbally. Those findings, Flanagan said, included the opinion that Jackson was addicted to Demerol and that Murray did not cause Jackson’s death.

Pastor urged Murray’s lawyers to provide more information about White's testimony to the prosecution.

“I’m just finding it very difficult to believe that a renowned forensic expert in any subject is going to take the stand without having documentation in front of him,” the judge said.

Murray, 57, is accused of involuntary manslaughter in the June 2009 death of the pop icon. His lawyers have suggested that Jackson self-administered the fatal dose of propofol.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/02/michael-jackson-conrad-murray-trial.html

Those findings, Flanagan said, included the opinion that Jackson was addicted to Demerol and that Murray did not cause Jackson’s death.
wtf! there was no demoral in mjs system or house. deary me so how did that kill mike and not diprivan. ridiculous beyond belief. no wonder they have no written statements from this dr

i guess they have been listening to morphine ! more p.r games. put demoral out there as a smoke screen

This is very annoying and I am tired of the games.

His lawyers have suggested that Jackson self-administered the fatal dose of propofol.
i thought it was the demoral?! idiots

wtf! there was no demoral in mjs system or house. deary me so how did that kill mike and not diprivan. ridiculous beyond belief. no wonder they have no written statements from this dr

i guess they have been listening to morphine ! more p.r games. put demoral out there as a smoke screen
this is exactly what I was gonna say. These people are crazy. How can this guy say this...he has NO evidence of Demerol....what a stupid ass.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A prosecutor in the involuntary manslaughter case against Dr. Conrad Murray asked the judge Thursday to delay the trial, which is set to begin in a month.

Murray, who is charged in the death of pop star Michael Jackson, invoked his right to a speedy trial within 60 days of his arraignment, but the prosecution complained the defense has not met its duty to share information about potential witnesses.

"I do not take notes when talking to a witness," defense lawyer Michael Flanigan told Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor during a hearing Thursday.

Judge Pastor scolded Flanagan and his co-cousel Ed Chernoff for not providing more details to the prosecution about the testimony they expect from the 93 people listed as potential defense witnesses.

"There are sanctions, including monetary and continuances, and also including preclusion of a witness," the judge warned.

Judge Pastor appeared caught by surprise at Murray's arraignment last month when defense lawyers invoked his right to hava a trial within 60 days.

Flanagan, outside of court Thursday, said the defense will be ready when jury selection is scheduled to start on March 24.

"The defendant has a right to go to trial within 60 days," he said. "I don't think there's any obligation for him to be completely ready 30 days before he's set to go to trial, if that were the true then what would we do the last 30 days?"
Judge Pastor ordered Murray's lawyers to create written summaries of what they've been told by witnesses in interviews.

"I guess we'll have to go out and take some more statements and tell the prosecution a little buit more about where we're coming from," Flanagan said.

Judge Pastor set a hearing for Monday morning to consider the prosecution request for a delay.

The judge also delayed making a decision until next week on allowing a new lawyer to join Murray's defense team until he can determine if there is a conflict of interest.

The lawyer, Nareg Gourjian, had worked on Michael Jackson's child molestation defense.

Murray wants Gourjian to replace Joseph Low, who left the defense team earlier this month.

Gourjian's former law firm, headed by lawyer Mark Geragos, raised the possible conflict of interest because the firm represented Jackson for two years starting in 2003, when he was charged with child molestation.

Geragos, and Michael Jackson estate's lawyer, Howard Weitzman, appeared in court Thursday to discuss the matter. But Judge Pastor asked them to return next week to meet privately because it involves "very sensitive material."

Gourjian told the judge last week that he was "in no way involved" in the Jackson case because he was "a brand-new lawyer" busy working on the a murder case at the time.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009 from what the coroner ruled was an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/24/california.conrad.murray.hearing/

flannigan is playing games, arsehole

Does Murray's lawyer think this is a joke? He acts like he doesn't understand he has to share information not what they feel like sharing. It sounds arrogant to me.

okay let's summarize and comment on as we have more information

- the issues of new lawyer and the defense not giving info the the DA is continuing. The judge hasn't come to any decision in either way, it look like he will be evaluating it further.

- as for the new lawyer it seems like he wants to discuss "sensitive material" in private (I'll guess here and say that sensitive probably could include anything that's financial, medical, alcohol / drug history or sexual in nature). that explains that delay in decision making.

- we'll see if he'll delay the case, even if he doesn't delay it he said that he can refuse a witness to testify if the DA isn't given information about it properly. He also threatens with sanctions and fines. so that's still good.

and my personal note : the defense is either clueless or really playing the "let's not give them information to the DA" card to the extreme.

and my personal note : the defense is either clueless or really playing the "let's not give them information to the DA" card to the extreme.
going by flannagans comments they are playing games imo

okay let's summarize and comment on as we have more information

- the issues of new lawyer and the defense not giving info the the DA is continuing. The judge hasn't done any decision in either way, it look like he will be evaluating it further.

- as for the new lawyer it seems like he wants to discuss "sensitive material" in private. that explains that delay in decision making.

- we'll see if he'll delay the case, even if he doesn't delay it he said that he can refuse a witness to testify if the DA isn't given information about it properly. He also threatens with sanctions and fines. so that's still good.

in that last article you posted it said that the defense would be ready on trial date...now if the defense doesn't give the pros what it needs....can the pros say it is not ready for trial date...or does the trial move forward as scheduled?

LOS ANGELES — A judge overseeing the upcoming Michael Jackson trial questioned defense attorneys Thursday about why they were not preparing reports and statements on possible witnesses and said he may penalize them if more information isn't turned over to prosecutors.

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor spent more than an hour dealing with evidence and witness issues in the case of Dr. Conrad Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 death of Jackson.

Pastor bristled when defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan said he did not prepare any notes on likely witnesses, including forensic experts.

Flanagan told Pastor he hadn't prepared such notes for trials for at least 10 years.
Flanagan contended that California trial laws don't require him to prepare reports on witness interviews to hand over to prosecutors.

Pastor disagreed, saying the strategy appeared to undermine rules intended to prevent surprises during testimony at trial.

"It is a recipe for disaster," Pastor said. "We don't do trials based upon memory."

The judge rejected a request by prosecutor Deborah Brazil to vacate the scheduled start of Murray's trial in late March over the issue.

She argued there was no way the doctor's defense team could be prepared for trial if they had not yet written and handed over reports.

Pastor ordered attorneys to return to court on Monday to further discuss witness statements and other possible evidence.

The judge also told Flanagan and defense attorney Ed Chernoff there could be consequences — including sanctions, a delay of trial or exclusion of witnesses — if the lawyers did not give prosecutors more details about their case.

Chernoff said they intend to call several of Murray's patients as character witnesses to rebut an anticipated attempt by prosecutors to paint Murray as a reckless physician who gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol.

Coroner's officials determined the singer died from acute propofol intoxication. The anesthetic is normally given in hospital settings, but Murray was using it as a sleep aid in the bedroom of Jackson's rented mansion.

Flanagan said one defense expert is likely to claim Jackson was addicted to Demerol and was suffering from withdrawal when he died.

Brazil said there was no evidence of that, and Pastor questioned how an expert could come to that conclusion without making any notes.

"I'm just finding it very difficult to believe that a renowned forensic expert in any subject is going to take the stand without notes in front of him or her," Pastor said.

The judge deferred ruling on whether attorney Nareg Gourjian can join Murray's defense team.

Gourjian was a former associate of celebrity attorney Mark Geragos, who represented Jackson from 2003 to 2005 when the singer was accused of child molestation. Gourjian left the case before Jackson's trial, which ended with his acquittal.

Geragos said he would not voice concerns about Gourjian defending Murray in open court, and Pastor agreed to meet with him in closed session next week. Gourjian was ordered to prepare a sworn statement detailing exactly what he had done on Jackson's case.

Gourjian has said he did little work on the case.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7444908.html

the pros can ask for delays but its upto the judge at the end of the day

I think they are playing games and are unethical just like their client. I hope it blows up in their face.

Chernoff said they intend to call several of Murray's patients as character witnesses
LOL.

Flanagan said one defense expert is likely to claim Jackson was addicted to Demerol and was suffering from withdrawal when he died.

Brazil said there was no evidence of that, and Pastor questioned how an expert could come to that conclusion without making any notes.

thank you brazil. the judge should not even allow such claims.

the last article I posted

- initially I thought that Demerol could be a typo (such as they mixed up Diprivan with Demerol) on LA Times part but it turns out that it's true and something that the defense could push for. So stupid. It's nice to see that the DA is calling out their BS.

- and this one tells us that Geragos is the one that wants to discuss in private and it makes sense. so we'll see how that one plays out.

in that last article you posted it said that the defense would be ready on trial date...now if the defense doesn't give the pros what it needs....can the pros say it is not ready for trial date...or does the trial move forward as scheduled?

it seems like the judge is giving them a chance to turn their evidence for now while he's warning them. if they don't do it he also says that he can delay the trial (the last article) so anything is possible now.

and this one tells us that Geragos is the one that wants to discuss in private and it makes sense. so we'll see how that one plays out.
i dont get this. one article says geragos has no issue then they are discussing it.if he has no issue whys he brought it up

i dont get this. one article says geragos has no issue then they are discussing it.if he has no issue whys he brought it up

that was from justice_4mj - a fan group.

I find main stream media to be more correct in their reporting because they actually send people that are knowledgeable about law. Fans tend to have more misunderstandings.

Now we have 2 articles one of which says judge wants a private meeting due to sensitive issues and another one saying Geragos refusing to discuss it in open court. So I'll go with they'll have a private meeting to discuss further.

the last article I posted

- initially I thought that Demerol could be a typo (such as they mixed up Diprivan with Demerol) on LA Times part but it turns out that it's true and something that the defense could push for. So stupid. It's nice to see that the DA is calling out their BS.

- and this one tells us that Geragos is the one that wants to discuss in private and it makes sense. so we'll see how that one plays out.

it seems like the judge is giving them a chance to turn their evidence for now while he's warning them. if they don't do it he also says that he can delay the trial (the last article) so anything is possible now.
thank you Ivy...the defense is definitely playing games. they are like kindergartners.

thanks

Geragos said he would not voice concerns about Gourjian defending Murray in open court, and Pastor agreed to meet with him in closed session next week. Gourjian was ordered to prepare a sworn statement detailing exactly what he had done on Jackson's case.

yeah sorry i read this wrong.

That's from Justice_4MJ - maybe they didn't get that right?

Also, the new lawyer thing and not turning things over to the DA - are they working towards a mistrial (Murray not represented properly)?

Also, the new lawyer thing and not turning things over to the DA - are they working towards a mistrial (Murray not represented properly)?
the defence cant claim anything as they are the ones causing the issue for the d.a

The defense acknowledged in court that White, a Dallas anesthesiologist with an expertise in propofol -- the drug that killed Jackson -- is its most important witness. But defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan insisted the expert had not prepared a report and had communicated his findings verbally. Those findings, Flanagan said, included the opinion that Jackson was addicted to Demerol and that Murray did not cause Jackson’s death.
HUH?! o_O His opinion?! How is that gonna fly in court when the autopsy doesn't even say that and it was not found in his home? DUMB!

Last edited:

withdrawl is their excuse

I hate all of this. I just miss Michael and I can't believe this actually happening. It's not right.

Back