Status hearings discussion thread / all threads merged

• Thread starter elusive moonwalker
  • Start date
Re: july 25th hearing 0830pst

Yes... But a court is no place to play and jokes. It is a serious place which deals with serious questions. Well, I envy these people because they can get some fun of this whole thing. Very sad and bizarre.

Excatly

August 8th hearing

0830 about jury questionaire modifacations

Re: August 8th hearing

Jury selection begins for Michael Jackson trial

Posted: wnRenderDate('Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:06 PM EST', '', true); Aug 08, 2011 4:36 AM Updated: wnRenderDate('Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:41 PM EST', '', true); Aug 08, 2011 6:11 AM

(CNN) - Jury selection is gearing up for the September trial of Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's former personal doctor who is facing charges in the singer's death.
The process for picking jurors for the manslaughter trial starts with a 30 page, 117 question document, which lawyers from both sides came up with a few months ago.
Answers that prospective jurors give to these questions will be poured over by the attorneys and their jury consultants.
Jo-Ellan Dimitrius, who's made a career of picking juries dating back to the OJ Simpson murder trial, looked over a copy of the questionnaire.
"Holy Cow, I'm just looking at the medications," she said.
In a case like this, Dimitrius said there will be people who may lie to get picked.
"The sad reality is that people have a hidden agenda, whether they want to write a book or they want their fifteen minutes of fame," she said.
The questionnaire lists 136 potential witnesses including Jackson's parents, brothers and sisters and his three children.
It also asks if, and even why, and individual saw the film about Jackson's last performing days, "This is It."
The prosecution is planning to show a clip from the documentary because they said it proves Jackson was in good health days before his death.
Potential jurors are also asked about their familiarity with a laundry list of 27 different prescription drugs, including propofol, the drug tied to his death.
"The juror who has a lot of personal experience and knowledge of the drugs and medications that are going to be talked about is going to be a better defense juror," Dimitrius said.
She said the defense also wants jurors who think Jackson was an oddball. She said prosecutors want the opposite - someone who's a Michael Jackson fan and believes the singer was manipulated during his life and wrongly accused of child molestation.
Ultimately, she said the best jurors are those who can stand up to pressure in the jury room.
"You want somebody who's strong who's not going to back down no matter what," she said.
It's likely that at least one question will be added about the Casey Anthony trial. Lawyers on both sides may want to know how much individuals followed the trial.
Murray's lawyers said they're concerned about the amount of publicity that Anthony received, suggesting that jurors might have to be sequestered to ensure Murray gets a fair trial.
Copyright 2011 CNN. All rights reserved.

http://www.wnem.com/story/15224919/...-case-against-doctor-linked-to-jacksons-death

Conrad Murray Jury Questionnaire Up for Debate

Judge and lawyers in the case against Michael Jackson's personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, met Monday morning for a pretrial hearing.

The hearing focused on the questionnaire used for potential jurors. Judge Michael Pastor said he had a sense that the questionnaire discussed in media reports over weekend was "related to old draft."

It was revealed during Monday's hearing that the prosecution has a list of drugs Murray prescribed to patients other than Jackson.

The prosecution also asked that Murray's defense team provide more discovery information on its 103 potential witnesses. So far, according to the prosecution, it has no witness statements for 76 candidates.

Murray was not present Monday.

The next pretrial hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.

Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of Jackson, who died from an overdose of propofol in 2009.

Last month, the defense asked that jurors be sequestered to avoid influence from TV pundits.

Murray's trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 8.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Conrad-Murray-Questionnaire-127232718.html

So the defence are still with holding supposed witness statements.this has been going on for ages. No doubt it will be another way of trying to delay the case.

Intresting about how he treated other paitents

She said the defense also wants jurors who think Jackson was an oddball.

I don't see how that would be a benefit to Murray..This trial is about him and his actions not about what some juror personally thinks of Michael.. =\

Pastor didnt seem too pleased by all the delays though. I can't believe the defense is still with holding that much info. But that new stuff bout treatment given to other patients is indeed very interesting.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/08/california.conrad.murray.hearing

30 day countdown starts for trial of Michael Jackson's doctor

By Alan Duke, CNN
August 8, 2011 -- Updated 1752 GMT (0152 HKT)

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Prosecutors complain defense lawyers have not met discovery requirements yet
  • All sides meet privately with the judge to discuss jury questions
  • Prosecutors want to use medical records of other Murray patients
  • Dr. Conrad Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Lawyers defending Michael Jackson's last doctor in his involuntary manslaughter trial have one day left to satisfy a judge's order that they hand over to prosecutors all of the statements and reports gathered from potential defense witnesses.
California court rules require both sides to meet certain discovery requirements 30 days before a trial starts, which is Tuesday in the case of Dr. Conrad Murray, who is charged in the Jackson's 2009 death.
"We've been down this road before and I hope we don't have to go down it again," Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said during a hearing Monday after prosecutors complained that the defense was holding back.
Prosecutors have not seen statements from 76 of the 103 people on the defense witness list, documents which would let them know what they might testify about, Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said.
"We can resolve this," lead defense lawyer Ed Chernoff told the judge. The defense has insisted it has handed over everything its collected, but that many of the potential witnesses have not cooperated.
Pastor ordered lawyers back to court Wednesday morning, 29 days before jury selection is set to begin, so he can "get a handle" on the discovery issues.
The judge moved talks about jury selection from open court into his chambers Monday morning. The lawyers are drafting the questions they'll ask potential jurors next month.
"It never stops," Pastor said, referring to his concern that parts of the jury questionnaire might be leaked to the media.
The 129 questions asked nearly 500 potential jurors in March and April were made public after the jury pool was whittled down to 171 people. But the process has to be repeated since the trial was postponed for several months to allow lawyers more time to prepare.
Defense lawyers have said they are worried that jurors may be tainted by what they hear about the case on television, singling out HLN's Nancy Grace for delivering what they said amounted to nightly prosecution arguments during the Casey Anthony trial.
The prosecution told Pastor Monday that they want him to review medical records for Murray's patients to decide if they could use them in the trial to demonstrate the doctor's prescription practices. None of the patients are related to the Jackson case, Walgren said.
Pastor questioned the legality of prosecutors having private medical records protected by federal law without the patients' permission.
"I don't like going through people's personal medical records unless there's a specific reason," Pastor said.
Law enforcement collected boxes of records in raids on Murray medical offices in Houston, Texas, and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, was from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, combined with other drugs, the Los Angeles coroner ruled.
Murray, whom Jackson hired to care for him as he prepared for his comeback concerts in London, allegedly administered the fatal dose.

this trial is going to be a circus imo..from the jury selection right down the end of the trial...I hope this judge stays on point and keeps it under control...this is gonna be hard enough oh us as it is.

^^

you know what , this seems like there could be another delay in the trial and I guess we'll learn it this week.

you know what , this seems like there could be another delay in the trial and I guess we'll learn it this week.

That's the feeling I've got too, neither part seems to be ready, and I dont see how the legal schedule can be respected.

this trial is going to be a circus imo..from the jury selection right down the end of the trial...I hope this judge stays on point and keeps it under control...this is gonna be hard enough oh us as it is.

I hope it's kept under control and it's not turned into a circus..I don't want this turning into an excuse for haters like Nancy Grace to publicly bash Michael on TV.. :no:

That's the feeling I've got too, neither part seems to be ready, and I dont see how the legal schedule can be respected.

I think prosecution is ready and they responded to the theories very well. They got the pig research to counter the propofol digestion, they responded to the TII footage as well. The only new request is the Murray's medical records for other patients but unless he has a highly questionnable prescription history I don't see other patients records being allowed by the judge due to the privacy and HIPPA laws in US.

On the other hand defense is unprepared as always. Look to this part "Prosecutors have not seen statements from 76 of the 103 people on the defense witness list, documents which would let them know what they might testify about, Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said."We can resolve this," lead defense lawyer Ed Chernoff told the judge. The defense has insisted it has handed over everything its collected, but that many of the potential witnesses have not cooperated." They haven't done majority of the work and their witnesses aren't cooperating.

Here I'm assuming that they are trying to call people who called Michael an addict or blamed other parties for his death as a witness and as these people just realizing what they have done is trying to avoid the defense and which makes them a hostile witness.

I believe the prosecution is as ready as can be, in the sense that they have done their job, but they're obviously missing a lot of information from the defense. The trial can't start until they get it all anyway, right? What would be the point of the defense dragging their feet?

I believe the prosecution is as ready as can be, in the sense that they have done their job, but they're obviously missing a lot of information from the defense. The trial can't start until they get it all anyway, right? What would be the point of the defense dragging their feet?

incompetence

@Ivy I think your assumption might be correct.

I think prosecution is ready and they responded to the theories very well. They got the pig research to counter the propofol digestion, they responded to the TII footage as well. The only new request is the Murray's medical records for other patients but unless he has a highly questionnable prescription history I don't see other patients records being allowed by the judge due to the privacy and HIPPA laws in US. On the other hand defense is unprepared as always. Look to this part "Prosecutors have not seen statements from 76 of the 103 people on the defense witness list, documents which would let them know what they might testify about, Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said."We can resolve this," lead defense lawyer Ed Chernoff told the judge. The defense has insisted it has handed over everything its collected, but that many of the potential witnesses have not cooperated." They haven't done majority of the work and their witnesses aren't cooperating. Here I'm assuming that they are trying to call people who called Michael an addict or blamed other parties for his death as a witness and as these people just realizing what they have done is trying to avoid the defense and which makes them a hostile witness.
agree.hasnt the defence witness list gone up.thought last reports had them at around 50.and the judge needs to do as threatened months ago.bar any witnesses from testifying who dont have statements

Last edited:

If there is no further delay... jury selection begins one month from today. :(

^^

This is only my opinion. But why does it seem like the defense is trying to get the judge mad enough about all the delays in trial preparation so that he will throw the case out of court? I heard that they already tried to have the case dismissed once before during the pre-trial hearings and said that the proscution failed to prove that there was enough of a case for trial. But the judge refused. This is all just my thoughts. And I probably sound ridiculous. But I don't like how this case is going.

Last edited:

The judge cant throw it out.what the defence did before is standard procedure that happens all the time

This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. I dread all of it.

im sorry i dont get it, was today about picking the jury?

"The questionnaire lists 136 potential witnesses including Jackson's parents, brothers and sisters and his three children."

And what have witness have to do with it today?

Back