Surgery and the truth

I am not sure what Buffalo was trying to say here, that because Michael has lied about his surgery, he must be a pedophile? People lie. How many surgeries Michael has had isn't actually anyone's business.

As for whether it's more than two, of course it is. It's clear to me he did something around the eyes in the late 90s-early 2000s that drastically knocked his looks. I am sure a lot of what he was doing in that era was corrective but it had a devastating effect. If you see videos from his series of MJ and Friends concerts in 1999 and then Invincible in 2001, he looked like a different person all together and has lost the ability to emote.

Watching some of the MJ and friends concert it feels like the last time we really saw MICHAEL JACKSON - the guy with a bit of swagger, with style, who could sing and dance his ass off. During Invincible he seemed like a hallowed husk of himself. We see small glimmers of that Michael again in This Is It but it really was nowhere near what he had been. I am not sure what happened between MJ and Friends and Invincible but appearance-wise and even in his personality, something really went wrong in that period.
I kinda feel like the 'performer' Michael with the loose curly hair and the 'casual' Michael with the more straight hair wigs, is such a big difference. I do agree that Michael looked a lot different in 2001 at the anniversary concert, I think mainly his nose was very slim at that point. But the wigs makes such a big difference in his appearance.

Also, in this is it, he looks very similar to the dangerous tour and history tour, but just simple aged 10 years (from 38 to 50) and difference from a lot of trauma and some health issues.

I am not sure what Buffalo was trying to say here, that because Michael has lied about his surgery, he must be a pedophile? People lie. How many surgeries Michael has had isn't actually anyone's business.

As for whether it's more than two, of course it is. It's clear to me he did something around the eyes in the late 90s-early 2000s that drastically knocked his looks. I am sure a lot of what he was doing in that era was corrective but it had a devastating effect. If you see videos from his series of MJ and Friends concerts in 1999 and then Invincible in 2001, he looked like a different person all together and has lost the ability to emote.

Watching some of the MJ and friends concert it feels like the last time we really saw MICHAEL JACKSON - the guy with a bit of swagger, with style, who could sing and dance his ass off. During Invincible he seemed like a hallowed husk of himself. We see small glimmers of that Michael again in This Is It but it really was nowhere near what he had been. I am not sure what happened between MJ and Friends and Invincible but appearance-wise and even in his personality, something really went wrong in that period.
I have always felt Michael was going through some particular distress during that period during 2001. A shame to see him like that.

What about his personality?

In MJ and friends, he looked very much in charge, the performer. The accident in Munich looked quite bad, though I don't know if we heard what happened and how he recovered?? Maybe he was mentally all done with concerts and wanted to do something else like movies, but was forced to continue. We know this already about the 30th Anniversary, it looked quite forced, Michael made an "appearance", it was not his concert anyway. Something more that just change in hair did happen between 1999 and 2001, but you won't get an answer here. Don't think anyone here knows, maybe only people close to Michael, or maybe no one knows what happened to him during that time. :cry:

I donā€™t really agree with what you said about comparing his face before and after vitiligo - they are two different faces, the pigmentation is not what has changed it. To me itā€™s the eyes and the lips (which arenā€™t even mentioned).

Anyway, stan MJ.
I Agree... look at his face when he was with Madonna in 1991 & a few months later...black or white premieres & he does not have the same face. Even at young age...I used to question what did he do so drastically to look different in a span of a few months. He looks bad era upon til the black or white shoot. 91 was an interesting year for him appearance wise. If you look at pictures of him from early 91 all the way up to maybe
may or June he looks just like the Bad era with slight longer hair (deepak photo shoot, Oscars with Madonna). In may or June, whenever it was when he attended some gala in LA with a red jacket and red shirt you can see him morphing into dangerous era. After mid 91 he completely transformedinto the dangerous era and you can see this in this picture and in MTV 10 Anniversary. March 25,1991 - November 14,1991.Compare those pictures to this picture from March the same year til then. Still has the bad era looks but just slightly longer hair (and darker skin)

I am not sure what happened between MJ and Friends and Invincible but appearance-wise and even in his personality, something really went wrong in that period.
Getting hurt during another concert did it. That MJ & Friends show nearly killed him. It certainly did not help, I'll tell you that much.

As a fan it's never bothered me, it was Michael's decision.

Selfishly I wish he would have stopped after the Bad era, because he looked great and he looked happy in himself. Maybe that way people would have focused more on his music and incredible talent and less on surgeries and other tabloid junk. But ultimately we don't know Mike's circumstances

Exactly. We cannot even imagine his circumstances, the pressure and everything that went around him that made him take those decisions. So we have absolutely no right to judge any of his decisions.

His vitiligo, makeup, and hairstyle changes gave the illusion of him looking more different than he really did; the media exaggerated how much surgery he really had. He had more than a few surgeries, but nothing really out of the ordinary for Hollywood. The reason his nose got damaged was largely because of his lupus; it damaged the skin on his nose, so he tried to fix it with reconstructive surgery, but this ended up damaging it some more.

Regardless, it's understandable why he wanted to change how he looked due to the amount of bullying he received from his father and siblings over his nose during his adolescent years. It was his decision and he shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

Last edited:
I don't really care how many surgeries MJ had, this topic always bored me. I just think it's so sad that he didn't feel good about himself and had the need to change his appearance so drastically. He was such a good looker as a young man.

91 was an interesting year for him appearance wise. If you look at pictures of him from early 91 all the way up to maybe
may or June he looks just like the Bad era with slight longer hair (deepak photo shoot, Oscars with Madonna). In may or June, whenever it was when he attended some gala in LA with a red jacket and red shirt you can see him morphing into dangerous era. After mid 91 he completely transformedinto the dangerous era and you can see this in this picture and in MTV 10 Anniversary.
Lol I bumped onto your exact comment, only posted two years ago on Reddit by 'themidwestcowboy':

'91 was an interesting year for him appearance wise. If you look at pictures of him from early 91 all the way up to maybe may or June he looks just like the Bad era with slight longer hair (deepak photo shoot, Oscars with Madonna). In may or June, whenever it was when he attended some gala in LA with a red jacket and red shirt you can see him morphing into the dangerous era. After mid 91 he completely transformed into the dangerous era and you can see this in this picture and in MTV 10 Anniversary.'

In my honest opinion, and perhaps it's an unpopular one, I found his different looks throughout the year to be part of what made him fascinating. I think that he perfected his style of clothing, etc around his look at the time.

As for the amount of surgeries, it's obvious that he's had more than two, but not nearly as many as was speculated.

He probably had more around 4 surgeries to his nose, and the cleft in his chin.
I believe everything else that made his look appear difference were his hairstyles, the change in his skin, etc, etc.

Most of his change really took place from what 1979-1988? Even then, it wasn't like he was at the operating table every year as the press have speculated.

The transformations each era was MJ being an artist. Each era had its own look. It was artistic.
I fk love how Michael reinvented himself each 'era', it was very unique. Him releasing an album each 4 years, changing his sound, his appearance, it was perfect to create mistique, interest and media attention. Even though it wasnt always positive, I think it helped to increase his popularity overall (at least untill dangerous).

In-between Thriller and Bad was perfection.

e3rpr7cc89c91.jpg

makeup [...] gave the illusion of him looking more different than he really did
I never liked him switching from black eyeliner to white eyeliner on the waterline. But it's not his fault, it was trendy at that time. :oops:

MJ had a LOT of plastic surgery lets stop beating the bush about this . So do many many others in Hollywood. They have attacked him over this since at least 1986 , the UK were the worst tabloids ever until the new laws came in

MJ had a LOT of plastic surgery lets stop beating the bush about this . So do many many others in Hollywood. They have attacked him over this since at least 1986 , the UK were the worst tabloids ever until the new laws came in
I don't agree with the belittling, but there were actually some good points stated here.

I kinda feel like the 'performer' Michael with the loose curly hair and the 'casual' Michael with the more straight hair wigs, is such a big difference. I do agree that Michael looked a lot different in 2001 at the anniversary concert, I think mainly his nose was very slim at that point. But the wigs makes such a big difference in his appearance.

Also, in this is it, he looks very similar to the dangerous tour and history tour, but just simple aged 10 years (from 38 to 50) and difference from a lot of trauma and some health issues.
he was taking medications that had serious side effects and i know cuz ive been some of them and they can stuff you up big time. i agree with u on this is it era he looked like dangerous era michael just thinner unfortnately :( and i was so happy he brought the curls back lol but it just a shame he couldnt get the help he needed

I think there were a lot of battles Michael was fighting physically throughout his life that affected his appearance in one way or another. It would be interesting to see just how he might have looked if not for vitiligo. There may have been surgeries he chose not to have. His skin colour was effectively swapped and if you've ever seen black people with filters on their faces of white skin, or the reverse, and it naturally does look odd. White and black people have different facial structures. In a way he may have been having surgeries to make his new face "make sense".

Really I wouldn't wish the things hes gone through on anyone.

I think there were a lot of battles Michael was fighting physically throughout his life that affected his appearance in one way or another. It would be interesting to see just how he might have looked if not for vitiligo. There may have been surgeries he chose not to have. His skin colour was effectively swapped and if you've ever seen black people with filters on their faces of white skin, or the reverse, and it naturally does look odd. White and black people have different facial structures. In a way he may have been having surgeries to make his new face "make sense".

Really I wouldn't wish the things hes gone through on anyone.
I also have had this theory.

Yes, This Is It Michael is far more recognizable to what Michael Jackson was but if you actually look properly at his face it is clear there are differences. uBut because its the same hair, same frame, same man, you largely see the similarities.

Honestly I'll never understand why he wears the flat wig. It is the worst. It just does nothing for him.

Yes, This Is It Michael is far more recognizable to what Michael Jackson was but if you actually look properly at his face it is clear there are differences. uBut because its the same hair, same frame, same man, you largely see the similarities.

Honestly I'll never understand why he wears the flat wig. It is the worst. It just does nothing for him.
i think it was hard for michael to find the right wigs to suit his face .......gosh this is making me emotional šŸ˜­

If his skin color didn't change & had he released the album a year or 2 after thriller...then his hype would've still been high as it was in 84

I feel most of the things that inspired MJ, were literally the artists he always claimed to be inspirations. His taste is based on the works that influenced him. So in the case of the flat wig it's possible he liked it because James Brown rocked a similar style. (Prince, also obsessed wih JB straightened his hair too for instance) Or Jackie Wilson, or yeah well maybe it was actually inspired by the iconography of Jesus, I think we should seek in on of those directions

If his skin color didn't change & had he released the album a year or 2 after thriller...then his hype would've still been high as it was in 84
I wonder if the Victory album had been as successful as Triumph, had it been released without Jermaine and original intended songs (like Buffalo Bill for example)

Back