tchaikovsky's nutcracker? - Which one.

Hess

Proud Member
MJ often talked about tchaikovsky's nutcracker.

But when I search on amazon, cdwow etc. I find so many different versions.

SO - which version was MJ talking about?

If you can give me a link to the right version on http://dk.cdwow.com/ or amazon I'd be soo very happy.

Thanks

As far as I remember, Michael always mentioned Nutcracker suite and not the full ballet.
And I don't remember Michael ever mentioning which orchestra or musician played Nutcracker suite that he listened to.

* Tchaikovsky: Suite from the ballet The Nutcracker - Tchaikovsky made a selection of eight of the numbers from the ballet before the ballet's December 1892 premiere, forming The Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71a, intended for concert performance. The suite was first performed, under the composer's direction, on 19 March 1892 at an assembly of the St. Petersburg branch of the Musical Society.[13] The suite became instantly popular (according to Men of Music "every number had to be repeated"),[14] but the complete ballet did not begin to achieve its great popularity until after the George Balanchine staging became a hit in New York City.[15] The suite became very popular on the concert stage, and was featured in Disney's Fantasia. The Nutcracker Suite should not be mistaken for the complete ballet. The outline below represents the selection and sequence of the Nutcracker Suite culled by the composer.

I. Miniature Overture
II. Danses caractéristiques

a. Marche
b. Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy [ending altered from ballet-version]
c. Russian Dance (Trepak)
d. Arabian Dance
e. Chinese Dance
f. Reed-Flutes

III. Waltz of the Flowers

Hess, Michael usually spoke about the "Nutcracker Suite". That is sort of the condensed "short" version.

But you'll still miss out on many other parts, the whole ballet is beautiful. Buy the full ballet and then put yourself the suite together.

This one here doesn't break the bank, yet is beautiful.

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-c...H1/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1291565205&sr=8-30

51pBKnsdWKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm a big friend of Sawallisch.

Thank you very much.

Just ordered this one. Can't wait to hear it.

$16:72 including shipping.

Hope it is good. But MJ always talked so warm and positive about it, so now I will look forward to hear it myself.

I love the Nutcracker Suite...I've been listening to it since I was little...

$16:72 including shipping.

Hope it is good. But MJ always talked so warm and positive about it, so now I will look forward to hear it myself.

I can assure you, it is good. I bought once the Nutcracker played by Kirov Orchestra and I absolutely love it. Great piece of real art.

Thank you very much.

Just ordered this one. Can't wait to hear it.

Grab yourself a cup of hot cocoa (can always you know, add some goodness to it...:D) on a dark evening, grab a blanket and your favorite teddy and imagine your a little kid on Christmas Eve and what your biggest dream back then was.

Just the opening of the overture alone melts my heart each time.

HESS: I just noticed I gave you the link to SWAN LAKE. You might want to amend your order, but I love the Swan Lake too. Sorry!!!

Here's a Nutcracker. So sorry.
http://www.amazon.com/Pytor-Illych-...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291573602&sr=1-2

I still my ancient tape because I love that recording so much.

On one video I remember MJ was talking not only about Nutcracker suite but Tchaikovsky album Nutcracker in general. Correct me if I am wrong.
I love this ballet. I am a ballet lover since I remember myself lol. Nutcracker has a magic and gives me a feeling of my own childhood. It is like past time travelling. It is amazing what music can do sometimes :)

Grab yourself a cup of hot cocoa (can always you know, add some goodness to it...:D) on a dark evening, grab a blanket and your favorite teddy and imagine your a little kid on Christmas Eve and what your biggest dream back then was.

Just the opening of the overture alone melts my heart each time.

HESS: I just noticed I gave you the link to SWAN LAKE. You might want to amend your order, but I love the Swan Lake too. Sorry!!!

Here's a Nutcracker. So sorry.
http://www.amazon.com/Pytor-Illych-...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291573602&sr=1-2

I still my ancient tape because I love that recording so much.

It's ok. I'll order that one after christmas.
Thanks for the new link. :clapping:

Back