The Eagles Greatest Hits Album Surpasses Thriller in the USA

Re: The Eagles dethrone Michael Jackson with all-time top-selling album

It seems kinda nuts to assume there's some agenda against Michael.

But it does seem odd doesn't it? I mean, I don't know anyone who's streaming the Eagles who's under 55! hahaha

Take solace in Michael's words "the bigger the star the bigger the target". In other words, he's the leader and the one to beat. And everybody wants to topple the greatest.

That why i say Michael legacy will live on matter who try to top him there will never be another Michael Jackson he was one of a kind.:mj5:

I have been meaning to comment on this cause it is driving me wild.

It seems that people (I don't mean fans) have lost the ability to think critically and have collective amnesia.

I remember when Thriller sold more than 40 million copies worldwide before the end of the 1980s....

Its a conspiracy when the media blantently lie saying the eagles have now out sold thriller world wide instead of it been related to the USA only.the eagles and thriller has gone back and forth for decades interms of which is the U.S biggest seller.we had this in the 00's until sony bothered to get it recertified again and then thriller was the biggest seller again. Of course there was no hoopla from the media when that happened..the media are obsessed with re writing history when it comes to mj. Down playing his achievements and blantently lieing or putting out one sided info to suit their agenda.we have seen that for decades with 93/03 vitiligo etc etc. My "favourite"fake news was even when prince died the uk media used it as a chance to take pot shots at mj claiming prince had beaten mj to x amount of grammies in whatever year it was maybe 84.which ever year it was it was a year when mj hadnt even released anything and wasnt even nominated for a grammy for that said year. Totally made up

Well, there are a constant negative aura about Michael Jackson, or his family, in the press like the example of elusive moonwalker and the comparaison with Prince, that he is not a real artist, or his sales are probably fakes etc...it's like they consider him like a fraud.

Sincerely, do you really think if you take the same numbers from the RIAA for the Eagles albums, in the same context etc... and give them to Jackson, the media would have been passive ? They would have debunked these sales in the harshest way and call him a joke; and call that a promotion done by Sony.

Like SmoothCriminal1995 have said, they will strip all his titles and honours; it's not a coincidence if they have announced the Eagles numbers, the same month of his 60th birthday, 2 months after the death of his father; and during the 35th anniversary of Thriller; I think we fans have been used to be passive about these news; in some way we have been ghettoized and used to think, his music is not for a general audience; and that normal if the media pretends that all his success are falses, or will be or already been beaten by others artists.

See the reactions when Sony have said the Thriller albums have been sold more of 100 millions albums (and 50 millions is USA); everybody have said they are falses, without proof or because not from the RIAA. I have seen the same thing the Jackson Five with their 100 millions albums sold, that no groups have done that except the Beatles; the site chartsmasters (I really hate them) have tried to debunk that; they don't have the complete sales, but in the introduction they directly pretend that they are falses; but they are okay with the numbers of the Eagles (with their false numbers about chartsmusic in their article, no soundscan reference etc)....

It's just two examples, but they have done that each times, that make him or his career, the subject of suspicion, I don't remember another artist have been treated like that.

I really think, since his death, we are used that the media was more or less cool with us and Michael Jackson, but the truce is clearly ending, it will be not a surprise, if they say the Guinness numbers are not really true, and that Thriller have never been the best selling album of all the time.

Again, we shouldn't be ashamed to be fans of Michael Jackson; every others artists have their questionable sales etc..., but they accept them, so we should do the same things, we shouldn't try to be more virtuous than the others, that don't work, and NOBODY is objective. We shouldn't hesitate in various places in internet to defend his legacy, or to debunk the Eagles sales from RIAA with the Soundscan sales, but also and that the more important to continue to promote him and buy his albums; and try to force Sony, with letters etc... to take actions about this situation.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">21 NEW song certifications for <a href="https://twitter.com/michaeljackson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@michaeljackson</a> today! Which is your favorite &#127908;? Show your &#10084;&#65039; for the King of Pop leading up to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJDiamondCelebration?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MJDiamondCelebration</a> next week! More: <a href="https://t.co/gZNkMXyW7b">https://t.co/gZNkMXyW7b</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SonyLegacyRecs?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SonyLegacyRecs</a> <a href="https://t.co/aJoNiV7y5F">pic.twitter.com/aJoNiV7y5F</a></p>&mdash; RIAA (@RIAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/RIAA/status/1032664241499717632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">23. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NEW: <a href="https://twitter.com/michaeljackson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@michaeljackson</a>’s catalogue garners major new Gold &amp; Platinum Awards! 21 songs &amp; 3 albums from the King of Pop earn new &#128192;&amp;&#128191;. Get excited for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJDiamondCelebration?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MJDiamondCelebration</a> next week! More: <a href="https://t.co/gZNkMXyW7b">https://t.co/gZNkMXyW7b</a> <a href="https://t.co/wPkvN8jXyj">pic.twitter.com/wPkvN8jXyj</a></p>&mdash; RIAA (@RIAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/RIAA/status/1032647482453438466?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">23. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

*certifies practically everything but Thriller*

*certifies practically everything but Thriller*
Maybe they are waiting to certify Thriller after the Halloween season, although the song Thriller was certified.

Maybe they are waiting to certify Thriller after the Halloween season, although the song Thriller was certified.

We can only hope. Until then...

Stream Thriller :tongue:

I'm not bothered by this, and here's why.

Michael Jackson has the number 2 album now. He's deceased. All the Eagles are still alive, and touring, as far as I know. Up until now, someone who has been gone almost 10 years, and wasn't promoting his music, was outselling all the many musicians who still are.

That's huge. And another fact is, the record industry is changing. People don't buy albums much anymore. If you add in all the people who added Thriller to their favorite streaming service's playlist, then Michael would still be #1.

Idk if people are forgetting but there has been a back and forth worth thriller and the eagles album in the past.. they have been battling for top of the us sales chart for a long while.. I thought after I heard promotion for Michael's worldwide sales not being in the 60s bit over 104 million o figured those days were over..

My honest guess though is that thrillers US sales have not been reviewed for a while. Once counted (preferably after the Halloween season) it may be #1

Eagles

All the Eagles are still alive, and touring, as far as I know.
Glenn Frey passed 2 or 3 years ago. Glenn's son Deacon and country singer Vince Gill took his spot in their concerts now. All the other members are alive, including the 3 no longer with the band.

Idk if people are forgetting but there has been a back and forth worth thriller and the eagles album in the past.. they have been battling for top of the us sales chart for a long while.. I thought after I heard promotion for Michael's worldwide sales not being in the 60s bit over 104 million o figured those days were over..

My honest guess though is that thrillers US sales have not been reviewed for a while. Once counted (preferably after the Halloween season) it may be #1

Yes but the battle is biaised if RIAA and Warner music can put in shipment whatever millions albums they need to beat Thriller, do you honestly think after Thriller 25th, his sad death, all these Halloweens, Thriller have sold just 8 millions albums since 2008 ? but the Eagles without trying have sold 10 millions during the same time ? That the problem with the RIAA; see their album Hotel California, 17 millions according the RIAA in 2013, to 26 millions now, and now that the 3rd best selling albums in USA, don't be surprised if this album beat Thriller too.

Also it was very recentlly, well since December 1999, that these two albums fight to be number ones, before that, The Eagles albums were never a huge seller, very successful yes, but not extremely big,they have never been number of the year according Billboard, before Thriller the best selling albums were I think Rumor of Fleetwood Mac and Saturday Night fever (I think it was this album) if I remember correctly.

^Also Michael's music has a new generation appeal too. That is shown in him still being in the upper ends of charts like streaming figures, YouTube, Facebook followers etc. In these charts he is usually the only catalogue act, usually the only deceased person and he's surrounded by current people and artists. His music still plays in clubs and on pop radio.

The Eagles appeal to the under 40s is going to be less than Michael. I don't mean to slight the Eagles in anyway, they are fantastic, but it does seem strange when you consider these aspects.

^Also Michael's music has a new generation appeal too. That is shown in him still being in the upper ends of charts like streaming figures, YouTube, Facebook followers etc. In these charts he is usually the only catalogue act, usually the only deceased person and he's surrounded by current people and artists. His music still plays in clubs and on pop radio.

The Eagles appeal to the under 40s is going to be less than Michael. I don't mean to slight the Eagles in anyway, they are fantastic, but it does seem strange when you consider these aspects.

So the MJ Estate planned this recertification to coincide with MJ's 60th birthday and generate positive headlines. Potentially a good PR move and a nice surprise for us. BUT the Eagles recertification has kinda put a dampener it - they grabbed all the headlines for beating MJ and that's surely bigger news. I don't think anybody will report this now. The MJ Estate must be annoyed.

I still don't know for sure how the Eagles have managed to do this, but their recertification demonstrates how easily manipulated and pointless the RIAA is. Unless retailers have their stockrooms full of millions of copies of Eagles albums there is absolutely no evidence to support the certification. There is no evidence in sales or streams over the past 10 years to support it. None.

From the comments I have seen online it appears that Americans don't consider the Eagles albums to have been so successful either. Everybody remembers the impact of Thriller in the USA. Everybody remembers the iconic videos, music and merchandise. It is legendary. yet The Eagles album sold more overall? Really?

The MJ estate need to figure out what stunt they pulled and replicate it, but as I already said it's kinda pointless now. Yes it nice to have the title but if Thriller suddenly added another 5 or 6 million to its total in the next year or so I guarantee people will be calling bullshil so MJ can't win. Again.

Queen's Greatest Hits is the biggest selling album in the UK, so by the media's logic I guess that Queen now has the biggest selling album of all time.

are the people here ignoring the facts?...

February 1976
(1,000,000 (US) albums sold)

1976 - August 1990 (US) 11,000,000 more sales!!!??? (800,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
12 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1990 - December 1993 (US) 2,000,000 more sales!!!??? (666,666 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
14 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1993 - June 1995 (US) 8,000,000 more sales!!!?? (5,052,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
22 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

real sales (Soundscan) between December 1993 - June 1995 was 919.000 sales (515,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
the RIAA officialy can not explain why it was certified 22 times. they can not explain where the 8 mio sales coming from.

(y)

1995 - November 1999 (US) 4,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
26 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

November 1999 RIAA certified it 26times. it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.
1 month before the millenium. sure ^^...

1999 - 2006 (US) 3,000,000 more sales!!!?? (430,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
29 million (US) albums sold!!!???

2006 - 2009 (US) 404,000 more sales!!!?? (135,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)

2009 - 2018 (US) 9,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
38 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

they just lied and faked the sales. proven. these sales are impossible.

Queen's Greatest Hits is the biggest selling album in the UK, so by the media's logic I guess that Queen now has the biggest selling album of all time.

Well the US media like to pretend that the USA runs the world and the rest of the world's media can't be bothered to fact check. A poorly worded press release by the RIAA and AP (or most likely it was deliberately worded that way!) gave the press free reign to use the headlines we've seen around the world.

Stupid thing is those reporters are even quoting the figures as being from the RIAA - THE RECORDING INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA!!!! THE CLUE'S IN THE NAME PEOPLE!! If they were reporting BPI stats would they declare them as worldwide??? NOT a chance. It's a stupid mistake to make.

Last edited:

They wouldnt be making the "mistake" if it was the other way around. Agendas agendas..so in the near future when thriller is recertified in the usa and regains the top spot like it has done back and forth since the 00's will the media report it? Dont asnwer that

are the people here ignoring the facts?...

February 1976
(1,000,000 (US) albums sold)

1976 - August 1990 (US) 11,000,000 more sales!!!??? (800,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
12 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1990 - December 1993 (US) 2,000,000 more sales!!!??? (666,666 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
14 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1993 - June 1995 (US) 8,000,000 more sales!!!?? (5,052,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
22 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

real sales (Soundscan) between December 1993 - June 1995 was 919.000 sales (515,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
the RIAA officialy can not explain why it was certified 22 times. they can not explain where the 8 mio sales coming from.

(y)

1995 - November 1999 (US) 4,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
26 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

November 1999 RIAA certified it 26times. it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.
1 month before the millenium. sure ^^...

1999 - 2006 (US) 3,000,000 more sales!!!?? (430,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)

2006 - 2009 (US) 404,000 more sales!!!?? (135,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)

2009 - 2018 (US) 9,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
38 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

they just lied and faked the sales. proven. these sales are impossible.

Thank you again 1000Xtimes mjchris, I think my favorite part in your post is this "the RIAA officialy can not explain why it was certified 22 times. they can not explain where the 8 mio sales coming from."; the most funny it's that not a joke from you, but they have literally said that in the reuters article:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ar-close-to-eagles-hits-idUSTRE56I2B820090719

they have created ex-nihilo 8 millions albums from nothing, and don't have tried to explain how they have done that; imagine the reaction if Michael Jackson would have done the same thing for one of his album.

yup thats why i have metioned that.
i dont understand why people here accepting this, when all is a big FAKE and MANIPULATION.

Yes I'm sincerely shocked too about the reactions here about these fake sales, and that not just about Michael Jackson, that an insult to the others artists too.

I have also noticed something funny about your great post, sincerely it's very good and very complete, thank you again for that; I have noticed that each times the RIAA/Warner music need a boost about the Eagles albums for to beat Thriller, they create new sales and sometimes multiplied by 10 !!!!

for example, I copy and past your post:

"2006 - 2009 (US) 404,000 more sales!!!?? (135,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
29 million (US) albums sold!!!???"

Which is already ridiculous and too much for this album, but no that not enough for beat Thriller, so they have multiplied this number by 10 for each years in the next 10 years !!!:

"2009 - 2018 (US) 9,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
38 million (US) albums sold!!!??? "

So without promotion, without trying, they have multiplied their sales by 10, each years, so 1 millions by years in the next 9 years !!! That simply a miracle, sorry there are no other words for that.

But I think I have another explanation, not a rational one, but keep in mind that just a theory, so if the RIAA and Warner music for the Eagles, don't have cheated for the sales, that the proof that each years since the 70's, The Eagles fans lose their albums, and are forced to buy them the next year; sorry but there are no other credible explanation if these sales are not fake, it's sad for them and I sincerely think we should help them.

Last edited:

curious, I know search engines bring up different things and in different orders in various countries.. if you Google "best Selling Album Of All Time" in your country (outside of the US) what are the top mentioning's you see? Here in the US it brings up the Eagles news of course.

curious, I know search engines bring up different things and in different orders in various countries.. if you Google "best Selling Album Of All Time" in your country (outside of the US) what are the top mentioning's you see? Here in the US it brings up the Eagles news of course.

The Eagles,but from here in the UK it's QUEEN GREATEST HITS.

THRILLER is #6

In Austria Thriller is the best selling album.

Sadly in english or in french I have the Eagles news; in general it's half for Thriller in internet results because well for the moment it's still him; but with 10 or 20 millions each 10 years with the RIAA for the Eagles, you can be sure that will be no more the case soon; that ridiculous.

https://newsok.com/article/5605598/...g-album-in-the-u.s.-upstaging-michael-jackson

Not everyone was as happy about the news as Henley and his fans. "SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. i already own THRILLER in every format but maybe we can start some sort of fund to purchase it en masse for at-risk (of listening to the eagles) youths," Jack Hamilton, author of "Just Around Midnight," implored on Twitter.

Rock critic Alex Pappademas tweeted, "oh, great, now the Eagles are going to become insufferable egomaniacs."

"My fellow Americans, now is the time for us to join together and stop the Eagles once and for all. Even if you have a copy of Thriller, grab another one," tweeted another Michael Jackson fan.

Some took issue with the criteria. One user tweeted, "The Eagles record is a compilation. Thriller is an all-new record. They shouldn't be judged together."

Many were quick to point out that "Thriller" remains the global best-selling record of all time. The Eagles have the best-selling record title in the United States only.

Some fake "methodology" from RIAA and how they have forgotten the album "Grease":

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/60098/ask-billboard

"As the manager of Billboard's Pop Catalog and Soundtracks charts, you must certainly be aware of how well the "Grease" soundtrack continues to sell 27 years after its initial release. Although it has not appeared on the Catalog chart since 1999, it does still periodically appear on the Soundtracks chart.

Yet, the U.S. Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) sales certification of "Grease" has not been updated in over two decades.

This is particularly surprising since the soundtrack spent 52 weeks at No. 1 on the Pop Catalog chart and was the top-selling Pop Catalog album of 1997 and 1998. In fact, I recall reading an article in Billboard when the film was re-released in 1998 that "Grease" would have ranked in the Top 20 on the Billboard 200 albums chart if it was eligible to chart!

Why have Polydor/Universal/UMe (the current labels for the soundtrack) not submitted its shipments to the RIAA for certification? I would imagine that "Grease" could possibly rank as the best selling soundtrack ever if its certification was updated. This is especially perplexing since another Polydor soundtrack, "Saturday Night Fever," was updated in 1999.

Since its certification is not up to date, I was wondering if you could instead provide the Soundscan sales for "Grease."

Thanks for reading and happy 2006!

Dan White
New York

Hello Dan,

Believe me, the mystery of why the "Grease" soundtrack has not been recertified since 1984 is perplexing. The 1978 album was last certified by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1984, when it claimed 8 million copies shipped to U.S. retailers.

More than 21 years later, the album continues to maintain a certification of only 8 million copies shipped in the United States, according to the RIAA. As you pointed out, in the '90s, "Grease" was a huge selling album. It was an especially strong seller around the time when Paramount re-released the film to theaters in 1998.

All told, since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data in 1991, "Grease" has sold 5.3 million. Therefore, one would assume the "Grease" soundtrack is due for at least a few more million in its platinum count.

In order to receive a gold or platinum certification, one must apply to the RIAA and pay an auditing fee. There is sometimes a lot of paperwork and research involved, especially with older titles. However, you'd have to think that with certain albums, and the level of achievement that is anticipated, the work involved would be worth it.

We contacted the RIAA regarding the "Grease" soundtrack, and they did not know why the album's certification had not been updated since 1984. We also reached out to Universal Music Enterprises, though they had "no comment" on the matter.

Really, it's baffling. "Grease" may be the biggest selling soundtrack of all time, but right now, we don't definitively know. As it stands, 1992's "The Bodyguard" is the biggest selling soundtrack, with a certification of 17 million in the U.S. by the RIAA. "Saturday Night Fever" is in second place with 15 million. Prince and the Revolution's "Purple Rain" is third with 13 million."

It's simply a scandal but nobody in USA seem to care, and take again reference from RIAA !!!

You see, it's not just about Michael Jackson, but that remind me how Thriller between 1984 and 1990 have supposed to have sold just one million copy according the RIAA, the same thing now for "Grease", fans of the soundtrack if I refer to wikipedia, add 8 millions from RIAA and 6 millions from Soundscan to have 14 millions for the USA, but like Thriller, the sales between 1984 and 91, are lost forever, and it was very big years for both albums.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yes we can — and we will. Looks like a lot of media organizations took RIAA assertions about the best selling album “in music history” and “of all time” at face value. New video to come. Thanks —</p>&mdash; Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1032393370423816192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">22. August 2018</a></blockquote>

Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Eagles' 'Greatest Hits' Gains, Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' Returns

&#8212; Eagles, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 &#8211; No. 60 &#8212; The album jumps up the list (125-60) following news of the title being certified 38-times platinum in the U.S. by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) &#8212; and surpassing Michael Jackson&#8217;s Thriller as the highest-certified album of all time.

Their Greatest Hits has now earned 38 million album units in the U.S., according to the RIAA. Each platinum certification is equal to 1 million album units. Their Greatest Hits was re-certified on Aug. 20, bringing its certification up from 29 million to 38 million.

As for Thriller, it was last certified on Feb. 16, 2017, when it was upgraded from 32 million to 33 million.

For the RIAA, one album unit is equal to one album sale, or 10 tracks sold from an album, or 1,500 on-demand audio and/or video streams from an album. The RIAA revamped its Gold & Platinum Awards Program on Feb. 1, 2016, growing from a pure album sales certification process to one that includes tracks and streams. (For more information about the Awards Program, visit the RIAA website.)

The RIAA and Nielsen Music differ in how they tabulate album units. For Nielsen Music, and thus Billboard&#8217;s album consumption charts (as Nielsen's data powers Billboard's album charts), one equivalent album unit is equal to one traditional album sale, or 10 individual tracks sold from an album, or 1,250 paid subscription on-demand audio song streams from an album, or 3,750 ad-supported on-demand audio song streams from an album.

Back on the Billboard 200, Their Greatest Hits earned 10,000 units in the week ending Aug. 23 (up 55 percent) according to Nielsen Music, with 4,000 of that sum coming from traditional album sales (up 250 percent).

&#8212; Michael Jackson, Thriller &#8211; No. 135 &#8212; And, as for the King of Pop, his former No. 1 album Thriller jumps back onto the tally at No. 135 &#8212; its first visit to the list since May 19, and highest rank since April 7 (when it also placed at No. 135). Thriller earned 7,000 units in the week ending Aug. 23 (up 330 percent), with 2,000 of that sum from traditional album sales (up 30 percent).

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...eagles-greatest-hits-michael-jackson-thriller

Btw, is it just me or the comment section is unavailable, I cant see or read it on Billboard pages

Back