The Estate of Michael Jackson enters partnership with Sony Mobile

someone did say that this was confirmed to be a remixed version, which is still unconfirmed but i hope this news is true. just like the remix that was included with the pepsi can for bad25, it'll be interesting to see what come's of it in the end but it's my hope that the album version will be different of course. i apologise to all, but when it come's to Michael.. i always dig too deep.

Explain me this, why some of you have to such rude jerks (not against you Qbee) if people disagrees with you? Since when don't we have the right to disagree? If you like that mix, fine but why attacking people who don't?

I honestly think that the reimaginings of some of these songs are better than the original recordings. Hate me if you must, but I do.

For example, I find the 2010 mix of Behind the Mask to be absolutely phenomenal, whereas the original 1981 version (or at least the fan edit mixing the acapella and the Greg Phillinganes instrumental) is dreadfully uninteresting. Same with This Is It (which takes beautiful form in its 2009 mix) Hold My Hand (which sounds fuller in its album version), Hollywood Tonight (minus the spoken bridge and processed lead vocal) and Much Too Soon (which is more elegant than a simple guitar-and-vocal ballad) - they all sound better than what Michael did.

Now, because I don't care for the original songs, does this mean I'm not a "true fan"?

No. It does not. In my book, a true fan is someone who admits that not everything Michael did was perfect or phenomenal. For example, I probably won't spend money on anything relating to the Bad/Dangerous/HIStory tours or the Jacksons/Jackson 5 because it doesn't interest me. Simple as that. That doesn't mean I'm not a true fan. It just means that I admit Michael wasn't perfect, which is what we all should do.

I hate seeing the true fan argument. I prefer reworked versions of Michael's songs for the most part. I don't feel bad admitting it. I don't have to love everything Michael does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6JR_CAPdU

From about 2.31, right from Michael's mouth. I agree with him 100%.
And as for people saying if they don't get exactly what they want with the album, they won't buy it, then don't go and pirate it because that's not Michael's vision.
Lets all get behind this one, buy the album, buy every single and get Michael back where he belongs at the top of the charts.
"There's nothing that can't be done, if we raise our voice as one".

I honestly think that the reimaginings of some of these songs are better than the original recordings. Hate me if you must, but I do.

For example, I find the 2010 mix of Behind the Mask to be absolutely phenomenal, whereas the original 1981 version (or at least the fan edit mixing the acapella and the Greg Phillinganes instrumental) is dreadfully uninteresting. Same with This Is It (which takes beautiful form in its 2009 mix) Hold My Hand (which sounds fuller in its album version), Hollywood Tonight (minus the spoken bridge and processed lead vocal) and Much Too Soon (which is more elegant than a simple guitar-and-vocal ballad) - they all sound better than what Michael did.

Now, because I don't care for the original songs, does this mean I'm not a "true fan"?

No. It does not. In my book, a true fan is someone who admits that not everything Michael did was perfect or phenomenal. For example, I probably won't spend money on anything relating to the Bad/Dangerous/HIStory tours or the Jacksons/Jackson 5 because it doesn't interest me. Simple as that. That doesn't mean I'm not a true fan. It just means that I admit Michael wasn't perfect, which is what we all should do.

I hate seeing the true fan argument. I prefer reworked versions of Michael's songs for the most part. I don't feel bad admitting it. I don't have to love everything Michael does.
You have every right to feel that way. Similarly, I think fans have the right to dislike the remix used in this commercial or the ad campaign - yet you yourself called these people ungrateful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6JR_CAPdU

From about 2.31, right from Michael's mouth. I agree with him 100%.
Well, in my opinion there is an obvious big difference between Michael working WITH producers on a track to get the sound that he had in mind out of it on the one hand, and a producer going in alone and redoing the entire production by himself on the other - especially now that MJ is not there anymore to give his blessing to the final product.

I agree and understand your point about it being different circumstances, I was just trying to brighten the mood here and offer a different view point.

Explain me this, why some of you have to be such rude jerks (not against you Qbee) if people disagrees with you? Since when don't we have the right to disagree? If you like that mix, fine but why attacking people who don't?
I cant answer to why some are rude in their replies. I've seen them from both sides though. It might not be what one says but how they say it that bring harsh replies back to them. So if everyone is respectful in how they address this topic that may help. If there are personal attacks on members just report it..

I understand why people are negative on this thread. Here's why : Some people thought the announcement was going to be bigger (Victory30th or the New album etc). The hype was intense here over everything. I'm not really interested in this, but it is a great marketing tool.
@Always there A perfect example of how everyone's needs/ wants are different. I would buy EVERY new Victory/BAD/Dangerous J5 tour release if they someday decide to do so (which they really should). Unreleased songs are second in priority. Remixes...not so much.

I agree and understand your point about it being different circumstances, I was just trying to brighten the mood here and offer a different view point.
Fair enough. It does seem like the mood can use some brightening. :lol:

You have every right to feel that way. Similarly, I think fans have the right to dislike the remix used in this commercial or the ad campaign - yet you yourself called these people ungrateful.

We definitely do. I'm only calling certain people ungrateful because they seem to never show satisfaction for the good things we've gotten.

Besides, fans were complaining that Michael didn't get enough exposure for his music, and then they choose a TV advertisement and I actually saw the same people saying that the Estate sold out. That's just being hypocritical.

Having opinions is one thing. Being angry because we don't get what we want is another.

Everyone can like or dislike what they want. I just wish that it's not crapped on right away before anything is done and fully seen. This keeps happening over and over again that by the time something is released the enjoyment is gone.

It will never be the way it was before. Michael is gone and they have to represent him the best way possible and try to reach out to the world. Reaching out to the world is something Michael would do. We don't know what he would or would not want. Maybe he left notes and ideas that the estate has. There are things that Michael left that we don't know anything about.

If this is something this Sony promotion that would be given to a "current star" but they are giving it to Michael is a great step. I am going to sound selfish here but I would love for Michael to have one more #1 song. Does he need it? No. Michael's legacy is firmly established in my view. Why do I want it for him? Because the last few years of his life were made hell and everytime he was on to something good people did things to get in his way and he couldn't finish what he wanted. If he never gets a #1 again that is fine. I would love to see it happen as a tribute to him.

I want nothing but the best for Michael and for people to stay true to Michael's vision but I also know we can't ask for this and that and have the high expectations as if Michael was here. I have to give them a chance to do their best to give us Michael through his work. It maybe be different but Michael was always the heart of his songs and no matter what this sound or that sound is if Michael is the heart than it's good enough for me.

We definitely do. I'm only calling certain people ungrateful because they seem to never show satisfaction for the good things we've gotten.
But what you see as a good thing might not be seen as a good thing by someone else - that's the whole issue.

He had an issue with Sony too. But in 2001/2002 and for specific reasons, not in general, not for all times and not without a reason.

I read it was because he was lead to believe that his album masters would revert to him in 2001. When Sony found a loophole to keep them, that's when he got mad. Can't say I blame him.

My personal opinion is that I don't l care for the mix used in the commercial. It not terrible and it's not great either IMO. But it is bringing interest and excitement to the public because it is a new MJ track being used. The general public hasn't heard the alternatives to compare so they are just enjoying having a new MJ song they never heard. Its great publicity. which we need for the album to be a success. They are questioning what is the name of this song, where can I get it etc.

Plus we don't even know that this particular mix will be used on the album or if they will use it along with a demo disc as well . So I see no reason to complain about the whole album premature over one song used in a commercial. The song is doing no harm and its bringing favorable recognition and excitement from the public.

Im happy Michael and this song is getting some favorable recognition and that its bringing positive attention to a forthcoming album.

I might also add that just because you may not personally like some songs or are unhappy because some of your personal favs are omitted from the album thats fine. you have right to like or dislike what you want. But that does not give you the right nor is not your job to try to publicly bash or come against the success of the whole album and spoiling it for the rest of the fanbase. If you dont like it .. dont buy it... Its that simple.

My personal opinion is that I don't l care for the mix used in the commercial. It not terrible and it's not great either IMO. But it is bringing interest and excitement to the public because it is a new MJ track being used. Many haven't heard the alternatives to compare so they are just enjoying having a new MJ tsong they never heard. Its great publicity. which we need for the album to be a success. They are questioning what is the name of this song, where can I get it etc.

Plus we don't know that this particular mix will be used on the album or if they will use it along with a demo disc as well . So I see no reason to complain about the whole album premature over one song used in a commercial. The song is doing no harm and its bringing favorable recognition and excitement from the public.

Im happy Michael and this song is getting some favorable recognition and that its bringing positive attention to a forthcoming album.

I might also add that just because you may not personally like some songs or are unhappy because some of your personal favs are omited from the album thats fine. you have right to like or dislike what you want. But that does not give you the right nor is not your job to try to publicaly bash or come against the success of the whole album and spoiling it for the rest of the fanbase. If you dont like it .. dont buy. Its that simple.

no more premature judgments from me, i've learnt to deal that thing's will be different now that Michael is no longer here.. if we get the demo's then it will be perfect.. if we don't, then i'll listen to the album on itunes preview before purchase.. goodnight all.:)

I'm disappointed about the ad's use of the song but as a phone geek myself, I'm looking forward to the Xperia Z2, I thought Samsung could do better but but I'm very disappointed at the Galaxy S5 that was announced later today. Someone has to take away Samsung's reign as "King of Android". I won't buy the phone as it isn't that important to me, but I am very impressed with it. Yes, the estate could have handled this better by not building up so much hype for us.

I really don't think this is the final version of the song, it's more likely just a remix. There isn't even a bassline.

And even if it's released as this I'm pretty sure, as the lead single, an "alternate version" that sounds more or less like what we already had, will be released like they did for Hollywood Tonight and Hold My Hand.

Good luck in reaching your target audience estate. I hope it's a huge success and that everybody gets the giant "hit" that they've been craving. I'll buy it granted there are no "C" tracks (I won't even mention the name). Still, I'll "selfishly" wait for a time when artistic integrity is the ultimate goal and the pure Michael Jackson is deemed good enough for music fans.

I really would like to see something that everyone can enjoy. I know that probably won't happen. I miss Michael and wish he was here and just hope if something gets released that it is close to what people think Michael would want. That's all I am really hoping for.

Its a commercial .. not the album . some fans like the song used, some don't. . They are not going to use the outdated demo for that add. I find it a bit premature to bash the integrity of the whole album based on a snippet they used in the add. It is for promotional purposes only and it doing great so far bringing positive attention from the public. ( we wanted big promotions) Plus we are not collectively going to like every mix or song on the album, for the facts that every fan has varied tastes and opinions of what they want. So if your or my personal desire isn't met, that doesn't mean the album isn't good.

I know we all wish nothing but success for Michael's next release. So let's not try to spoil or bash the whole project because some of our personal expectations are not met. It is impossible for them to do that and we all know that. Im sure Michael's fans don't want negativity hanging over this release .. so unless there is something blatantly wrong besides your personal tastes, let's not make it wrong by bringing unnecessary public negativity to it . For the sake of Michael's legacy.

That is exactly what we don't need.. Negative publicity hanging over the release of this album.

Once again the estate is partly at fault. They had to know that announcing that there was an announcement coming on Monday would build expectations, only to announce something about a mobile phone partnership. C'mon, that's not exactly the smartest move. Just drop the announcement without any warning and there would be no expectations. In Michael Jackson world an announcement always meant an album, a tour or some sort of public appearance. Personally my expectations weren't high because I no longer expect the estate to do anything that I myself would be happy with anyway. I prefer to keep my expectations low and be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with WildStyle, if the Estate had dropped the announcement about the partnership at once without creating expectations, many fans wouldn't be angry and/or disappointed.

Yes, the estate could have handled this better by not building up so much hype for us.

The Estate didn't build any hype. It was build on the forums by the fans. They just said 'expect an announcement tomorrow' and that was it.

Good luck in reaching your target audience estate. I hope it's a huge success and that everybody gets the giant "hit" that they've been craving. I'll buy it granted there are no "C" tracks (I won't even mention the name). Still, I'll "selfishly" wait for a time when artistic integrity is the ultimate goal and the pure Michael Jackson is deemed good enough for music fans.

No need to wait! MJ left us many albums with great music and that should be enough.

I can't believe people are investing so much into posthumous albums that will be made of old unfinished demos, sometimes mixed and updated, other times maybe not.

We should be happy we're getting anything at all. I know Whitney Houston's fans would kill to have her Estate do something, anything to get her name out there and introduce her to a new generation.

It just sucks that all these complaining have managed to create negative buzz in the media already. SMH

The Estate didn't build any hype. It was build on the forums by the fans. They just said 'expect an announcement tomorrow' and that was it.

That's a little naive.

We should be happy we're getting anything at all. I know Whitney Houston's fans would kill to have her Estate do something, anything to get her name out there and introduce her to a new generation.

I can't get behind this way of thinking. Do you know how much money there is to be made off of posthumous MJ projects? They will be trying to sell us things for as long as we are all alive. It's not like they are doing us a favour. The vault will be cleaned one way or another regardless. They aren't going to leave all of that money on the table. There is nothing wrong with fans having standards. And Whitney Houston is not even on the same level as Michael Jackson. There is Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Then there is everyone else.

That's a little naive.

I can't get behind this way of thinking. Do you know how much money there is to be made off of posthumous MJ projects? They will be trying to sell us things for as long as we are all alive. It's not like they are doing us a favour. The vault will be cleaned one way or another regardless. They aren't going to leave all of that money on the table. There is nothing wrong with fans having standards. And Whitney Houston is not even on the same level as Michael Jackson. There is Elvis, The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Then there is everyone else.

*Elvis, Beatles, Queen, Michael Jackson, then everyone else haha ;D

Back